Final Fantasy

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 am

There's a small chance I'll get this if my brother lets me trade in MW2. He plays the Spec-Ops with his girlfriend, but they haven't done as much since we got Sega Racing, so we'll see..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:28 am

Crimson Ryan wrote:My work colleague is on the second disk, apparently. Is that far?

i have the ps3 version so i dont know how long each disc is. saying that my boss has the xbox version and he is on disc two. he says its longer and he seems to think that the last disc will be the longest. Without spoiling anything for you. il say the game gets better and more fun when u get to pulse, so does the story.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby SpikyAd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:04 am

It's good to hear all these postive comments about Final Fantasy XIII. I was afraid the game would dissapoint and it hasn't.
SpikyAd
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:47 pm

I'll probably pick it up over the weekend since most of you seem to like it. It's been a long time since I've played a Final Fantasy game.

As for the bad reviews, all reviews are crap. It's all politics. There is no such thing as an honest game review. Everybody's got an agenda; everybody's paid off somehow; everybody's trying to be shocking in order to further their careers; everybody goes in knowing exactly what they'll write long before they play the game - actually playing the game is only for fishing out bugs and other irritating minutia in order to justify the bad score they've planned for.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Oppy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Well i havnt seen any bad or mediocre reviews for final fantasy XIIi. most all seem to be around 8 -9/10. Its just that reviews always focus on the negatives and dont boast much about the good things in a game.

Evan when the pros vastly outnumber the cons. reviewers will always pick the cons to death when telling us about a game.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm about 3 hours in.

It's pretty alright. I'm middle ground here. I really like the battle system especially when it kicks in the second level. That's where the real fun is. The story is...eeehh. The characters are....eeeh. It's picking up a little more but so far i'm not terribly impressed with either of those. Hope it gets better.

I really wanna like Lightning cause I really like strong female characters but there's something not doing it for me. Sazh seems to be the more interesting character so far. The VA and dialogue is pretty cheesy at first but it either got better or I got used to it. I had no idea what was going on either at first and they were already throwing sentimental crap within the first few minutes.

Well, besides that, its really colorful and pretty.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:06 pm

As far as not knowing what's going on goes, I think it's probably a game you have to be prepared to absorb a lot of details for. I'm loving it, but I also thoroughly read through the Datalog as it got updated in the game, and it mentions a lot that isn't apparent at first. Makes for a greater understanding of the world and how it works, as not everything can be explained through story sequences (it would feel forced if they were).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:31 pm

I'm way too lazy for that. I rather have it explained in-game. That stuff is more useful for me if I want to know more information about something I found interesting instead of trying to figure out what's going on.

But leveling up my characters via the FFX sphere thing is addicting. The fights were worthless until that point.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Kenny™© wrote:I'm way too lazy for that. I rather have it explained in-game. That stuff is more useful for me if I want to know more information about something I found interesting instead of trying to figure out what's going on.

But leveling up my characters via the FFX sphere thing is addicting. The fights were worthless until that point.

The battles also get alot more fun and challenging. you will soon find yourself shifting formations every few seconds and using ediolons(summons). And as far as the story goes, it does get alot clearer the further you get into the game. As OL said the datalog explains everything in a bit more detail. but its not necessary to read every entry.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:01 am

I just appreciated the Datalog because rather than listening along to a bunch of terms I didn't understand thinking "what the fuck does that mean?", I was able to go along with the story knowing almost as much as the characters themselves know. It just makes it easier to understand everything.
It's like in the first Metal Gear Solid, where they had the whole extensive series of briefing sequences that you could watch before actually starting the game; sure, playing the game without them, you could have eventually caught on to the stuff everyone is talking about at some point, but it's a lot easier to just watch the briefings and get an idea of it all beforehand.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:35 am

This game looks gorgeous in 1080p <3 my ps3
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Absentia » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:51 pm

Never read the datalog, it's boring
Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:20 pm

I dunno, MGS also required you to play or at least know the story of the first two Metal Gears as well but I still understood and felt the connection between Fox and Snake to the bitter end. What worked primarily was that they waited until a good amount of time before the intro and the reveal. Knowing the story from the other two games merely shed more light on the situation.

In the first few minutes here they're already like "OH NOES!! IT SO SADS!! WE GOTS TO PROTECT THE PEOPLES". I'm like, really? These scenes don't work very well unless I got time to know the characters and a basic grasp of the situation. They just came off as kinda dumb and forced.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:05 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:This game looks gorgeous in 1080p <3 my ps3

Other then the cutscenes it runs in 720p.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Riku wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote:This game looks gorgeous in 1080p <3 my ps3

Other then the cutscenes it runs in 720p.

Still though, it looks fucking amazing and I did not know that, I was going by what it said on the back of the box. It shouldnt change resolution though, thats kinda lame, the whole game should be 1080p dammit!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming