Final Fantasy

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Mythical Being wrote:You know what, I'm not enjoying this game anyway near as much as when I started playing. I'm only up to the bit where I'm in some blue forest and it's just not that fantastic to be honest. It's smooth as silk and I am enjoying to an extent. I will complete it but there's something so utterly uncompelling about it and over sentimental. Is it me or are Japanese developers starting to fall from grace a bit. There was a time when you had your Final Fantasy VIIs, Metal Gears and Shenmues but now not much stuff interests me that comes from Japan. I mean not to many games interest me in general but I think Suda seems to be the only one pushing the boat out in creating games that are actually truly compelling to play.

I'm in the third level and its sort of picking up a little more for me but its, I dunno, real sluggish in pace. I agree with you also. The most recent stuff i've been playing and enjoying have been mostly western developed titles.

Its still more fun to play through the battle system. The story so far just seems more like a tacked on intermission to give you a break from playing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Clint » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Ryudo™ wrote:
Mythical Being wrote:You know what, I'm not enjoying this game anyway near as much as when I started playing. I'm only up to the bit where I'm in some blue forest and it's just not that fantastic to be honest. It's smooth as silk and I am enjoying to an extent. I will complete it but there's something so utterly uncompelling about it and over sentimental. Is it me or are Japanese developers starting to fall from grace a bit. There was a time when you had your Final Fantasy VIIs, Metal Gears and Shenmues but now not much stuff interests me that comes from Japan. I mean not to many games interest me in general but I think Suda seems to be the only one pushing the boat out in creating games that are actually truly compelling to play.

I don't think Japanese developers are slipping.
There is so much amazing games they make now ,it's just gamers today esp in the west tastes have changed overall and tend to go for the western developed games.

As for Suda. Well obviously I won't disagree there.
I am far mosre interested in mostly Japanese developed games and only a small percentage of western made games interest me.

It's just a matter of taste IMO.

I have turned the other way, to be honest.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Kenny™© wrote:Well that's a pretty terrible impersonation. Australlian was the last thing on my mind. Especially when I hear an American accent in and out.

Well the voice actress in Austrailian.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Riku wrote:
Kenny™© wrote:Well that's a pretty terrible impersonation. Australlian was the last thing on my mind. Especially when I hear an American accent in and out.

Well the voice actress in Austrailian.

:shock:

*checks imdb*

:theyareontome:
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Yeah I had to check to make sure. There's a hint there but the squeek is to much to be sure. Then again whenever I'm in America people seem to think I'm Australian.

US Waitress: Oh are you Australian?
Me: No English.
US W: Oh I love your accent's.

GET IT RIGHT THEN.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Australian to me sounds thicker. Unless the actress was supressing her accent.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby SpikyAd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:51 am

OL wrote:^^I was kind of thinking the same thing with that last bit. It's brilliant so far, and all the elements are in place... but something doesn't quite seem "Final Fantasy" about it. It isn't the characters, or the story, or the battle system that does it; that's all very "Final Fantasy"...
I think it's actually the lack of familiar music.
The music that's in the game is excellent, but with the exception of the redone Chocobo them, I don't think there are any remnants from Uematsu's work. I believe this is the first time the the Victory Fanfare isn't used at all, and the Final Fantasy "Prelude" theme is absent as well.
A lot of the "feel" of the old FF's came from the music in them, so I think that's why it seems like something is missing.

Got to agree here. I'm still enjoying the game but there is just something missing. Some parts of the game makes it feel like a 'Final Fantasy' and gives you that bit of happiness which Final Fantasy usually does but there's something missing with the story and I can't put my finger on it. I like all the characters, they are all different and each has their own story and I don't know why there are so many Vanille haters. She seems to be the only one in the game who doesnt bitch and moan but she's way to cheerful, dunno how she manages to be like that but she's okay. Lighting and Fang are good female characters and Snow and Sazh are cool.

The music well is good but still not really Final Fantasy in my eyes. The battle theme, boss theme and other songs make it feel a bit like Final Fantasy but still not quite there. I hate snow's theme but most of the music seems good really, they should have kept the victory fanfare theme but hey. The graphics are stunning and I love the game-play, it's very addictive and easy to use. I just wish the story wasnt so linear but hopefully it will pick up and sometimes it feels like it's going too. I'm still enoying this though and hopefully I will enjoy it even more later as judging from the clips later on in the game, it looks like it's going to get better.
SpikyAd
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Okay, I've finally found ONE nasty fucking misstep in the game. Or at least, one thing I absolutely hate.
When you get to the amusement park, and visit the chocobo area... the music is just atrocious. Really, really bad. I mean, it's basically the normal chocobo theme, but all techno-ed up with lyrics added. All honesty, it might not be so bad if it just didn't have any vocals in it. As it is now, though, it's like I'm listening to some fucking Kidz Bop cd. Just awful, childish, far too peppy, and I can imagine it would be unbelievably embarrassing to actually have someone else around while playing that part.
Ugh.
The rest of the game is fucking fantastic so far, but that one little bit is horrible. Thankfully it only lasted a few minutes.
It just strikes me as especially bad because the rest of the music so far is absolutely ace.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:05 pm

OL wrote:Okay, I've finally found ONE nasty fucking misstep in the game. Or at least, one thing I absolutely hate.
When you get to the amusement park, and visit the chocobo area... the music is just atrocious. Really, really bad. I mean, it's basically the normal chocobo theme, but all techno-ed up with lyrics added. All honesty, it might not be so bad if it just didn't have any vocals in it. As it is now, though, it's like I'm listening to some fucking Kidz Bop cd. Just awful, childish, far too peppy, and I can imagine it would be unbelievably embarrassing to actually have someone else around while playing that part.
Ugh.
The rest of the game is fucking fantastic so far, but that one little bit is horrible. Thankfully it only lasted a few minutes.
It just strikes me as especially bad because the rest of the music so far is absolutely ace.

:lol: When i posted the new Chocobo music and said I hated it you and Clint said you liked it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:46 pm

It's not the same one that you posted it's the old FF7 version remixed.

The thing that annoyed me at that part was the mini game if you can call it that where you chase the chocobo.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:06 am

Yeah, it's not the same as the one you posted Ryudo. That one was actually good. Jazzy-like. That one is apparently used for Chocobo areas while on Pulse in the game.
This one, however, reminded me of this stupid song I heard in a commercial for Frisky's cat food. The awful, awful lyrics kick in at about 1:30.
Your ears will bleed, and your IQ will lower 10 points. It's that bad.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 am

I'll save the nasty surprise for when I get to that part.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:26 am

^^Just make sure no one is around when you do.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:32 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81qFaoe010&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLIg6WT7zM
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby SpikyAd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:58 am

Is it just me or Fang really sexy?
SpikyAd
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming