What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:38 pm

The fire enemies were annoying. RIght now im just gettin raped by snipers and ganged up on by armored dudes and the regular sentries, maybe I melee'd too much so far, I try to melee the armor guys because they take way too much ammo to take down but im like target practice for everyone else in the mean time, but up until this point I some how managed with that strategy. I even put it on very easy and tried it a few more times... still cant get past it. Funny I wouldnt describe the Uncharted games as hard, I just suck badly at FPS/TPS, especially with a controller. I enjoy playing the games for the climbing, cinematic sequences, puzzles, and storyline and its not like i hate the gun play I just suck at it, but I guess Uncharted isnt my usual genre and it shows.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:03 am

Uncharted can be brutally hard, so I feel your pain.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Well I finally made it past that area, I turned it on today, attempted it, died twice then easily made it through on the 3rd try, go figure. Weird and random, the armored guys I said took so much ammo went down easily this time around and I was able to take care of the snipers. Had some similar problems in another area along the way, but then after a few tries it was a piece of cake. Also, over taking that truck convoy on horse back was a pretty damn bad ass little sequence. Anyway, i made it to the lost city, only 2 more chapters to go. \:D/

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:35 am

Three friends and I rented and starting playing Until Dawn today for Halloween, and it's been an incredibly good time. There're eight playable characters in that game, so we randomly selected two characters for each of us to control (when it's their part of the story) and it's just been fun trying to keep our characters alive and having a cooperative story. The premise is really fun too since I'm a rather large fan of slasher flicks. All around good time -- we're half-way through, so we're going to red-box it again another day and finish the rest of it.

I'd recommend it, but I'd also recommend playing it coop with friends. I've never really had a cooperative gaming experience quite like this.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:54 am

I'm playing The Dark Spire atm :) It's a pretty damn awesome game.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:34 am

Halo 5
Halo 5
and some more Halo 5.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby redline » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:54 am

Axm wrote: Halo 5
Halo 5
and some more Halo 5.

enjoy it while it lasts. the campaign is only 6h long.

good game but way to short.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:40 am

Good thing I never buy a Halo game for its single player.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:16 pm

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Pretty obscure, but cool game. It plays a lot like The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, and runs on the same version of Unreal as SWAT 4 (odd choice for an RPG, but it's passable). The main premise of the game is supplementing your own survival as a vampire without losing your humanity. Like the fables in The Wolf Among Us, the vampires have their own organized secret society, with both good and bad citizens.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:06 am

Mr357 wrote:...and runs on the same version of Unreal as SWAT 4 (odd choice for an RPG, but it's passable).

Nah, it actually runs on Valve's Source engine, the same one used for Half-Life 2, which was cutting edge at the time. Part of why the game had tons of bugs and half-done animations initially; it was rushed out the door to cash in on the hype around Valve's new tech. I believe it may have even come out before Half-Life 2, which was really supposed to be the first game using it.
Either way the base game itself, regardless of tech, is pretty freakin' excellent. Great story, especially. Acting, dialogue, all that stuff is pretty top-notch, even now. And yeah, it's still the best game ever made based on White Wolf's various tabletop RPGs. Would have loved a sequel.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:23 am

Mr357 wrote: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Pretty obscure, but cool game. It plays a lot like The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, and runs on the same version of Unreal as SWAT 4 (odd choice for an RPG, but it's passable). The main premise of the game is supplementing your own survival as a vampire without losing your humanity. Like the fables in The Wolf Among Us, the vampires have their own organized secret society, with both good and bad citizens.

Funnily enough, that's what I'm playing at the moment too. Trying to keep the Halloween mood going as well?

The benefits of playing a game that's been out for years is that it's all patched up. Haven't gotten far, but haven't run into a bug yet. I'm also using a community patch that restored some cut content.

OL wrote: Nah, it actually runs on Valve's Source engine, the same one used for Half-Life 2, which was cutting edge at the time. Part of why the game had tons of bugs and half-done animations initially; it was rushed out the door to cash in on the hype around Valve's new tech. I believe it may have even come out before Half-Life 2, which was really supposed to be the first game using it.
Either way the base game itself, regardless of tech, is pretty freakin' excellent. Great story, especially. Acting, dialogue, all that stuff is pretty top-notch, even now. And yeah, it's still the best game ever made based on White Wolf's various tabletop RPGs. Would have loved a sequel.

Speaking of sequels, the potential for one has gone up. White Wolf's properties were bought by Paradox a few days ago. Since that World of Darkness MMO was a failure, it's more likely we'll see a proper sequel.

Calshot has received a thanks from: OL
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby OL » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:32 am

Calshot wrote:The benefits of playing a game that's been out for years is that it's all patched up.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm sure it's all smoothed out as far as bugs go and all, but I popped it in last year I think, and the animation was still pretty poor (and there are weird instances in cutscenes of sound effects not coming through). No helping that, I guess. Has more to do with the initial staging of the game rather than any technical "problems."
Still a great time. I imagine the haunted house would have been perfect to play through on Halloween.

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:46 am

Mr357 wrote: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Great choice! It's such an underrated game. So many choices with actual impact on your character's fate. There's even a way you can end the game without fighting any enemies at all, expect for one scenario. I recall a very memorable mission that put most survival horrors to shame.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:54 am

OL wrote:
Mr357 wrote:...and runs on the same version of Unreal as SWAT 4 (odd choice for an RPG, but it's passable).

Nah, it actually runs on Valve's Source engine, the same one used for Half-Life 2, which was cutting edge at the time. Part of why the game had tons of bugs and half-done animations initially; it was rushed out the door to cash in on the hype around Valve's new tech. I believe it may have even come out before Half-Life 2, which was really supposed to be the first game using it.

Interesting. I thought it was Gold Source or Source when I first saw the menus, but the maps, textures, and character animations are near carbon copies of what you see in SWAT 4. If you threw me into this game, didn't tell me what it was, and I didn't know better, I would have guessed that it was a SWAT 4 mod. It's that close.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Project Zero V. It's living up to what I expected and the story, at least so far, is probably the most disturbing yet (story is about suicide, people disappearing, people being possessed by ghosts to do some weird shit, serial killer going on a rampage who also defaces his corpses, a man disappearing with his mansion, a deceased woman luring men to her and becoming her husband in the afterlife, people committing weird as fuck rituals involving young women getting stuffed into tiny boxes and thrown into the rivers and seas, it ties in a lot to prior Fatal Frame games with characters also reappearing or relations appearing). I am disappointed in some aspects though, such as the design of some of the ghosts are a bit tame, especially the children ghosts, who in Fatal Frame 1, were some really creepy looking kids, like the girl in the well who had half of her face missing asking you to take her with you and the kid who crawled around on the floor after you in the kimono who kept screaming in pain; in Fatal Frame V they're just regular kids and kind of cute, which I don't think was the point, right? I guess they felt the "kids being used as creepy device in horror" trope was well worn by now. As well as them, the regular ghosts you encounter the most are just wearing plain clothes and are ordinary looking. Disappointing. Seems restrained from previous entires in that regard. Not seen any freaky regular ghosts like "Broken Neck", "Floating Women with Creepy Smiles" or any "Blinded Women" who follow you around everywhere. Hopefully that changes up soon. The story seems to introducing more and more creepy and crazy storylines as it goes along though.

Ah well, at least the other "storyline" ghosts are creepy. And the atmosphere is still as strong as ever. The game controls clunky enough to put you in some tight spots fighting off the spirits. This time instead of the regular "wait until the camera powers up and then wait until the ghost is about to touch you" mechanic of past games, they've changed things up quite significantly. Now, you have to take quick shots of the ghosts and try to line up multiple "wisps" of the spirit as it floats around them. Trying to line it all up with the Wii U Gamepad is honestly really fun and favours the player getting accurate shots and chaining Fatal Frames this time feels even more satisfying than ever. It feels really fresh after so many games which used the same gameplay formula. Having said that, like I said earlier the game feels clunky as whichever way you are facing the gamepad (say you steer the camera long ways, the thumb stick's directions also go with it, so you're fiddling quite a lot to face the right direction after the ghost suddenly shifts position). This feels like the first game for the system to really do a good job with justifying its existence on it by taking full advantage of the system's under-utilised strengths and provide a fresh experience to even long term vets like myself. It's not very often you get any games as dark as this on a Nintendo system. It's definitely one of the most owns for classic survival horror game fans.

Tldr: It's a great game, if you have a Wii U, support this game, it sure needs it. The series director, Makoto Shibata has definitely still got it.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming