What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Got around to playing Sleeping Dogs.

Haven't really gotten far into the game but I can say that I'm enjoying it more than I did GTA5.The choice of setting is refreshing.

Samanosuke Akechi has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 pm

SD was such a pleasant surprise.

Great game.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Not really sure what to play next. Just came off a pretty good string of first-person games, but I think it might be good to step into an RPG or something now. Not sure what to go with though. I was thinking Xillia or Ni No Kuni, but I'm also kind of keen on replaying Mega Man Legends, and then finally getting around to finishing Mega Man Legends 2...
Life offers such difficult decisions.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 pm

Only got the final mission to do on Crimson Dragon now and they recently patched it to add multiplayer and Insane mode.

All in all I've really enjoyed it. Adds some RPG elements to the Panzer Dragoon formula and has a nice little story. Shame the mission briefings are not proper cut scenes but that's a minor issue.
Lovely music and at times it really looks great but could do with giving the player more control of the camera.

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Moved on to Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge.

This is how it should've been from the start.Still prefer NGII but it's a step forward.

Samanosuke Akechi has received a thanks from: OL
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby myshtuff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 am

Assassins Creed 3. I am liking it alot so far having played all the previous installments as well.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am

Finished CD so moved onto LocoCycle. Its nothing special but I always find Twisted Pixels games funny.

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm probably being annoying now, mentioning it so much, but I just finished my second playthrough of Dishonored, and goddamn do I love how flexible this game is.
Playing it almost entirely lethal (as opposed to my non-lethal first playthrough) is such a different experience, and it really causes some cool changes in the story. The final mission, in particular, is set up much differently, as certain characters are still (ironically) alive, making it so you have more assassination targets to hit. And the final little "showdown" can play out in at least three different ways. As much as the low-chaos approach seemed to be the "canon" way for things to go (resulting in the happier ending and all), the high-chaos way makes for a much more interesting and satisfying final mission. And, strange as it may seem, totally effing up the last showdown leads what almost feels like the "true" ending, since it sort of implies that Corvo's "adventures" might be continued. All kinds of curve balls flying around here.
For a game that so many complained was "too short," I've gotten an insane amount of playtime out of it. Can't say enough how surprised I was by this game, and how it's now easily a favorite of mine from this generation.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:09 pm

I couldn't get into Dishonored for some reason. i thought I would like the game, but I ended up stopping after about an hour or two into it.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:25 pm

I did the same thing a ways back, when I first got it. Didn't like the stealth much at first because I couldn't hide in shadows like in Thief, and other things like that. Kept getting spotted, and I wasn't used to the combat yet, so it just didn't seem very fun at the time.
But I think the real charm comes out once you get further in. Gain a few powers, make some legitimate choices that affect things later on... if you get a couple missions in, the flexibility of the game makes itself more apparent, and that's when it becomes really interesting.
But yeah, it certainly isn't necessarily "thrill a minute" at the start. It's not cinematic at all, and the tone is really downbeat. Those are actually some of the things that I like about it now, but it definitely is different from most other games these days, so I can understand if it isn't immediately appealing.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:20 pm

Hmm interesting. Maybe I will give it another go some day.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:40 am

Fable Anniversary. Not a simple HD remake as they pretty much remade it from the ground up with a new engine and even added Fable2/3's combat systems for those that prefer them.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:52 am

^^Interested in that. Still haven't even played Fable 2 or 3, but the first was good for what it was, so the remake looks fun.

I finally just hooked up the Wii to my capture device for the first time. It's not exactly my most-played console (I only own seven games for it), so I've still got a few games on the backlog I haven't even touched.

EDIT: Played a solid hour and a half on The Last Story. I like the art direction (despite the generally poor graphics), and the story seems like it might be up my alley (taking a slightly smaller-scale approach than most JRPG's). But I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the actual gameplay. It's basically a third-person version of the bump system from the old Y's games. And yeah, sure, I love Y's, but I was never the biggest fan of the bump system. I much prefer to be able to manually attack.
And not only that, but I'm surprised that the game got so much acclaim, considering the way its combat is. So many people have bitched and moaned this past gen about how everything is getting streamlined and dumbed-down, but I have to say... this is just about as streamlined as an ARPG can get. You run into enemies and the game attacks them for you. Outside of dodging, that's about the extent of it so far.
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it for what it is, but it's just strange to think that this got so much acclaim, while something like FFXIII got shit on all over the place (and despite being linear, FFXIII had a lot more depth in its gameplay than this does).
I might actually try to finish it either way. Like I said, I'm enjoying it, and I want to see where the story goes. Just surprised at the hype is all.

OL has received a thanks from: south carmain
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:56 am

Change the controls to "manual" and then you will use A to attack and B to defend. Right now it's set for the computer to attack for you, not sure why the game defaults to that, takes the fun out of it. Its still not a super deep combat system, but far more enjoyable that spamming auto battle over and over lol. I love XIII don't get me wrong, the paradigm system was great, but the actual battles weren't fun to me though. Even manually selecting my abilities felt pointless knowing I could just hit auto battle and basically win everything, switching to medic roles when needed. I eventually spent most of my time in battle trying to keep the enemies juggled in the air as long as I could.

edit: i hope my lighting returns comes in soon. Everyone I know has gotten theirs, the tracking on mine hasn't been updated since the 12th.
Last edited by Raithos on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Calshot » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:34 am

I just finished the Book of Unwritten Tales. It's a very charming and humorous point 'n click that manages to poke fun at the fantasy and RPG genres without being too in-your-face about it.

The Kickstarter for the second game went live on Tuesday and the developers have already met their secondary funding goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ki ... en-tales-2

Calshot has received a thanks from: Raithos
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming