What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:41 pm

south carmain wrote: Going for the platinum in yakuza 4.

A lot easier to do than in Yakuza 3 due to there being no mini-games completion trophy..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:02 pm

I was playing a chapter of Fire Emblem (for gba) every time I had to take a dump over the past couple however longs... and the worst happened.... my file was deleted.

I had made it through chapter 13 (yes, that is 13 poops), and one time, when i had turned on my gba, cheeks primed to push, I heard a long screeching noise after the boot logo (and it wasn't from my bum). I then turned off my gba, turned it back on, and my file was gone.

At this point, I don't think I care to play Fire Emblem at all anymore. They all kind of feel the same to me after a while and I'm sort of done with the series. Not sure if I ever liked it, since I needed the cold restraint of a porcelain throne to even begin playing.

I suppose this is instead a "what am I not currently playing post". Fire Emblem.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Still trucking through Front Mission 4. Also now have the opportunity to play the other Growlanser games on PS2, which I am now doing with Growlanser III. I played a ways into 2 a couple of years ago but then that PC died so I lost my save data. I loved Growlanser IV on PSP and am glad to see that III is more of the same. It's a charming 90s style RPG with 90s anime aesthetics, 2D sprites and pre-rendered background and the gameplay is practically strategy RPG but without grids, with the combat being real time with pause [you assign actions to party members then watch them go] and the story is always actually surprisingly dark/serious considering the aesthetics or what impression it would give at face value. It does feel a bit like the closest thing to FFXII's system that I've come across from any JRPG series I've played since. Definitely my top pick for "most overlooked RPG series I'm a fan of". Probably ATLUS's most unknown series outside of Maken.

On the Front Mission 4 front, the game is getting real fugly with its battles now. Fuck those bazooka toting mechs and those mechs that can double punch you half to oblivion in one turn really are fucking dicks. I've also never seen so many mechs dodge in the series half as much as in this game. They really did get carried away with having all of the mechs evade like crazy. It does tend to drag battles out longer than they should. I really like the ability system in this game though - upgrading my pilots with some cool stuff and the whole linking system new to this game is really addictive to pull off in battle and adds a whole new dynamic to battles.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:57 pm

^^I feel terrible about it, but I still haven't finished Front Mission 4. Got relatively far I think; it's been years, but I seem to remember being on a mission in South America where you're introduced to a brother and sister, some rebels or something...
Either way, always been a huge fan of the game, and the series itself obviously. I'm really big on the original, but I love how the sequels all have such a feeling of... worldliness about them. So many characters with different cultural backgrounds, so many setting around the world. It might just be me, but I'm not sure I've played anything else that presents what feels like such an "integrated" representation of Earth before. Always loved that about it.

On my own front, I'm not actually sure what to play at the moment...
Haven't finished ACV just yet, but not because I'm necessarily burnt out or anything. I think I'm just in the mood for something else. Something I haven't played already. I'll have to get back to AC later.
Was thinking I need to play through an RPG or something. There are plenty of those I haven't hit yet.
I'm leaning toward the original Shadow Hearts at the moment. I mean, it has all the right ingredients: a nice twist on classic JRPG battle systems, pre-rendered backgrounds (always a fan of that), a darker, more gothic atmosphere than most JRPGs have (still in that mood, probably thanks to currently reading through the Vampire Hunter D series), and a sequel that most people hold in even higher regard (so there'd still be more to play, if I end up loving the first).
Only hitch is that I always intended to play through Koudelka first, which was Shadow Hearts' predecessor story-wise. Problem being that I still don't have Koudelka, and it's a tiny bit expensive right now.
Also a bit preoccupied with writing and a few other things at the moment. Guess I'll just see what happens.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Shadow Hearts is good. It's sort of like an alternative history take on the world. I still haven't beaten it, but the battle system is unique. I still feel that Koudelka nails the horror-RPG hybrid better though, it just has better atmosphere and it's got SRPG combat, with survival horror/adventure game exploration and surprisingly good voice acting considering the era when it was made, so it's more up my alley than Shadow Hearts.

You given Vampire Hunter D on PSX a crack yet? I've got that to play myself sometime, got it awhile a go myself.

And I get what you mean about FM4, but I felt FM3 did that well too - it starts out in Japan, but the characters travel all around Asia and meet all sort of of characters from all over the place, taking the conflict from Japan to China to Indonesia to Thailand, if i recall it right. And the Republic of Zaftra are almost always involved in some way. Kind of a shame we never get to play as a character from Zaftra in the series, since they're always seen as the "big bad" in the FM universe. Would have been interesting to see it from their perspective for a change. I really liked how FM DS had both FM1 and 1st Mission included, the way they try to show things from both the OCU and UCS is a cool of showing sympathy to both sides [sort of a commentary on war in general really]. The world building in the FM universe is definitely one of its strongest aspects, it's a big part of the reason why I'm leaving FM5 (with the fan translation), which is the conclusion, to be played last. There'll be more pay off that way.

And I feel that Front Mission has a reality to it that other RPGs lack, not that other it's a detriment for other RPGs doing that, it's just refreshing to see a series that features mechs of all things trying to capture that in a more believable world with realistic characters in there. Such a stark contrast to the other series that Square Japan puts out.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sat May 09, 2015 7:01 pm

I went back to playing Shin Megami Tensei IV after beating Digital Devil Saga, and it's my new addiction. I freaking love this game. In any game that allows for any sort of moral choices, I always want to answer truthfully regardless of the consequences. The way this game works (as far as obtaining certain endings) is that you're given value points towards your alignment, which, at a certain point in the story, you'll be locked into a particular route depending on your alignment. From values -100 to -9 you'll be in Chaos, from values -8 to +8 you'll be in Neutral, and from values +9 to +100 you'll be in Law. Somehow, by a sheer stroke of luck I managed to make it in that small Neutral gap (which is apparently pretty difficult). So I'm pretty happy about that, since, i've been told that Neutral is both the longest and most satisfying route to take.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sun May 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Mortal Kombat 1.

Goro and Shang Tsung are little fucking bitches.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Oppy
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Wed May 13, 2015 2:40 am

Finished Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, might go back to unlock all of the extra unlockables to reach 100% Completion. Now my Wife and I are playing Devil May Cry Definitive Edition. Its meh, but addicting.. I know so contradicting haha.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby south carmain » Fri May 22, 2015 5:25 pm

after owning it for roughly 2 years I finally decided to play through ni no kuni. I had previously played up until the trials in the desert but then lost my save and just gave up on it.

Anyway I'm glad I picked it up again because this game is absolutely amazing, the graphics are incredibly beautiful with a huge attention to detail and the story is really charming and well written especially for a video game. And then in addition to that the game has so much stuff to do with the errands, bounty hunts and collecting familiars that even if you bought the game when it was going for an insane price on ebay you still would have gotten your money's worth.

My only complaint about it really is that the AI in combat can be downright retarded but I guess it can be fixed by doing stuff more manually.

But yeah so far I'm about 13 hours in and I just finished the fairy forest (the one where the mother of fairies lives) and I don't think it's even that far in the storyline. This game is easily making it in to my favourite games of all time and might even top my favourite rpgs list so far.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Axm
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Fri May 22, 2015 6:02 pm

I really wanted to love Ni No Kuni but it was just one of those 'meh' games to me. I thought it was beautiful and the towns were amazing at first but about half way into the game no place ever stood out to me again like it did with the town on the docks. I also fucking hated the NPC's who are so depressed and you have to help them find the ambition to change their underwear, man that gets old somewhere between the 20th and 1000th time you do it.

There was so much to love there but so much mediocre to bad stuff that I'm not sure I would bother if a sequel got made. One of the biggest disappointments for me in gaming within the last few years.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sat May 23, 2015 12:52 am

My favorite game these days is KSP. I cannot devote as much time as I like to the game, but I absolutely love playing around in the newtonian playground that is this game. The base game is good but modders made it excellent. Due to mods I have been able to create my own GPS constellation that is accurate down to 1m, autonomous craft that have to operate that way due to the communications delay, and an interplanetary highway that is ran off of fuel generated from asteroid and planet mining, and other crazy craft that I had a lot of fun building.

If you are a space nerd, KSP is a definite must have. The base game isnt that realistic, but there are mods to make the physics act more like they are in the real universe (including n-body!).
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Sat May 23, 2015 1:55 am

Riku Rose wrote: I really wanted to love Ni No Kuni but it was just one of those 'meh' games to me. I thought it was beautiful and the towns were amazing at first but about half way into the game no place ever stood out to me again like it did with the town on the docks. I also fucking hated the NPC's who are so depressed and you have to help them find the ambition to change their underwear, man that gets old somewhere between the 20th and 1000th time you do it.

There was so much to love there but so much mediocre to bad stuff that I'm not sure I would bother if a sequel got made. One of the biggest disappointments for me in gaming within the last few years.

I thought the game was ok. Though the mechanics were JRPG standard, the graphics and music were amazing (Thanks Studio Ghibli!). And the story is pretty decent, though I only played it for like only 10 hours. I don't have much time to play these long rpgs unfortunately, but it will change when Torment: Tides of Numenera comes out!

BTW I'm currently playing The Witcher 3... and I'm not impressed (unfortunately). I really want to love the game, but I think the mechanics is really mediocre.. Like it doesn't know if it wants to be a RPG or an action game so it settles for the midlle ground (like the previous entry). I don't know, maybe it's just me.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 23, 2015 5:23 am

^I believe they are called Action RPGs.

Anywho, I'm currently playing through Armored Core 5, which was a gift from my bro for my 26th. Game feels really different from 4, but I like it a lot. The game is also more story heavy than 4 was (which had the Miyazaki style of telling only bits and pieces of story here and there) and the musical style is also very different. From what I understand, the game is very much like From Software's game, Chromehounds. I'm enjoying the game a lot though, despite how different from 4 it is, but I can easily see how 5 was divisive to some fans.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 am

Been pissin about between Spies vs Mercs n Trials Evolution for a while n thought to myself "I should really start a new game". Still can't be arsed starin The Saboteur yet, for whatever reason, so I looked to my downloaded games. Nothing really took my fancy, so I started looking through my download history to find a decent one. Realised how much of a mess it was (all just listed in chronological order and includes demos, trials, videos, pics, etc.) so I thought it'd be a good idea to create an index.

An hour later I have my index n still don't know what to play...

A
AirMech Arena
Alan Wake [The Signal]
Army of TWO: The Devil's Cartel
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed II [Sequence 12: Battle of Forli]
Assassin's Creed II [Sequence 13: Bonfire of the Vanities & Secret Locations]
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood [Animus Project Update 1.0]
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood [Animus Project Update 2.0]
Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD
Assassin's Creed: Revelations [Ancestor Pack]
Assassin's Creed: Revelations [The Lost Archive]
Assassin's Creed: Revelations [Mediterranean Traveler]
Assassin's Creed: Revelations [Uplay Passport]

B
Batman: Arkham Asylum [Insane Night Map Pack]
Batman: Arkham Asylum [Prey in the Darkness Map Pack]
Batman: Arkham City [Batman Inc. Batsuit Skin]
Batman: Arkham City [Catwoman Bundle Pack]
Batman: Arkham City [Challenge Map Pack]
Batman: Arkham City [The Dark Knight Returns Skin]
Batman: Arkham City [Harley Quinn's Revenge]
Batman: Arkham City [Iceberg Lounge Challenge Map]
Batman: Arkham City [Nightwing Bundle Pack]
Batman: Arkham City [Robin Bundle Pack]
Batman: Arkham City [Skins Pack]
Batman: Arkham Origins [Deathstroke Challenge Pack]
Batman: Blackgate Deluxe Edition
BattleBlock Theater
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Beyond Good & Evil HD
BioShock
BioShock Infinite
Borderlands
Brothers
Bully: Scholarship Edition

C
Charlie Murder
Civilization: Revolution
Crackdown
Crackdown [Four-Play Pack]
Crackdown [Free-For-All Pack]
Crysis

D
Dark Souls
The Darkness
Darksiders II
Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
Deadlight
Defense Grid
Defiance
Deus Ex: Human Revolution [Explosive Missions Pack]
Deus Ex: Human Revolution [The Missing Link]
Dishonored
Dishonored [The Brigmore Witches]
Dishonored [Dunwall City Trials]
Dishonored [The Knife of Dunwall]
Dishonored [Void Walker's Arsenal]

E
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Dawnguard]
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Dragonborn]
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Hearthfire]
Enslaved

F
F1 2013
Fable
Fable II [Knothole Island]
Fable II [See the Future]
Fable III
Fable III [Free Soldier Outfit]
Fable III [Free Weapons]
Fable III [Free Yule Hat]
Fable III [Industrial Knight Outfit]
Fable III [Traitor's Keep Quest Pack]
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
FIFA 13 [Creation Centre Career Pack]
FIFA 13 [Online Pass]

G
Game Room
Game Room [Game Pack 001-007]
Gears of War
Gears of War: Judgement
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

H
Halo 3
Halo 3 [Cold Storage Map]
Halo 3 [Heroic Map Pack]
Halo: Reach
Happy Wars
Hitman: Absolution [Contracts Pass]
Hitman: Absolution [English Language Pack]
Hitman HD Pack

I
I Am Alive
Iron Brigade

J
Jet Set Radio

K
Kinect Fun Labs

L
L.A. Noire
L.A. Noire ["A Slip of the Tongue" Traffic Case]
L.A. Noire ["The Naked City" Vice Case]
L.A. Noire ["Nicholson Electroplating" Arson Case]
L.A. Noire ["Reefer Madness" Vice Case]
L.A. Noire [The Chicago Piano]
Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
LEGO Batman
LEGO Batman 2

M
Mafia II
Magic 2013
Mass Effect
Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky]
Mass Effect [Pinnacle Station]
Mass Effect 2 [Arrival]
Mass Effect 2 [Cerberus Arc Projector]
Mass Effect 2 [Cerberus Network]
Mass Effect 2 [Cerberus Weapon and Armour]
Mass Effect 2 [Firewalker Pack]
Mass Effect 2 [Kasumi - Stolen Memory]
Mass Effect 2 [Lair of the Shadow Broker]
Mass Effect 2 [Normandy Crash Site]
Mass Effect 3 [Citadel (1 of 2)]
Mass Effect 3 [Citadel (2 of 2)]
Mass Effect 3 [Earth]
Mass Effect 3 [Extended Cut]
Mass Effect 3 [From Ashes]
Mass Effect 3 [Leviathan]
Mass Effect 3 [Omega]
Mass Effect 3 [Rebellion]
Mass Effect 3 [Reckoning Multiplayer Expansion]
Mass Effect 3 [Resurgence]
Mass Effect 3 [Retaliation Multiplayer Expansion]
Max Payne 3
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 HD
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD
Metro 2033
Metro: Last Light
Mirror's Edge
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine
Monkey Island: Special Edition
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Mortal Kombat [Freddy Krueger]
Motocross Madness
MX vs ATV Alive

R
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
The Raven
The Raven [Episode 2]
The Raven [Episode 3]
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption [Myths and Mavericks Bonus Pack]
Red Dead Redemption [Undead Nightmare Collection]
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Remember Me
Resident Evil 5 [Extra Figures]
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Risen 2: Dark Waterso

S
Saints Row: The Third
Shadow Complex
Shoot Many Robots
Sniper Elite V2
Sleeping Dogs
Sleeping Dogs [The Community Gift Pack]
Sleeping Dogs [The Ghost Pig Pack]
Sleeping Dogs [The Zodiac Tournament Pack]
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure [DX Upgrade]
Sonic CD
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II
South Park: Let's Go Tower Defense Play!
Spartacus Legends
Spartacus Legends [Compatibility Pack 1]
Spartacus Legends [Compatibility Pack 2]
Spec Ops: The Line
Splinter Cell: Conviction [Deniable Ops: Insurgency]
SSX
SSX [Mt. Fuji]
SSX [Mt. Fuji & Friends Pack]
State of Decay
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

T
Terraria: Xbox 360 Edition
TMNT: Out of the Shadows
TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider: Underworld [Beneath the Ashes]
Tomb Raider: Underworld [Classic Costumes]
Tomb Raider: Underworld [Designer Costume Pack]
Tomb Raider: Underworld [Lara's Shadow]
Tomb Raider: Underworld [Wetsuit Costume Pack]
Trials Evolution
Trials Evolution [Origin of Pain]
Trials HD
Trials HD [Big Pack]
Trials HD [Big Thrills]

V
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

W
The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead [Episode 2: Starved for Help]
The Walking Dead [Episode 3: Long Road Ahead]
The Walking Dead [Episode 4: Around Every Corner]
The Walking Dead [Episode 5: No Time Left]
The Walking Dead: Season Two
The Walking Dead: Season Two [Season Pass]
The Witcher 2
The Wolf Among Us
The Wolf Among Us [Season Pass]
World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition
World Series of Poker: Full House Pro
Wreckateer

...and yes, it was a pain in the arse.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Kenny
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby sand4fish » Sat May 23, 2015 3:43 pm

^I believe they are called Action RPGs

Exactly. And there lies my problem with the genre. Not mutually exclusive concepts. If my character in a rpg is a master at combat, my button mashing skill as a player should be irrelevant to his survival rate.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming