What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:24 am

OL wrote: Re-downloaded all of the DLC for Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood. Didn't realize that there were actually three secret locations I hadn't done in AC2, so I've been playing through those. Always great playing "new" AC content.
Fucking bummer that you can't replay completed missions in AC2 though. You can in all of the following games. Wish that were something they could patch in.

2 didn't click with me for some reason. Am i right in thinking they took away the move to run and pounce/kill with the blade that was in 1? Tried it but it never worked and i used to love doing that to all the guards on roof tops in 1.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:58 am

No, it's still in there. I was doing it over and over earlier.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:02 am

Dark Void Demo. Hated it. Terrible.

Hitman Bloody Money demo. Not my type of game. Just can't get into stealth games
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:11 am

OL wrote: No, it's still in there. I was doing it over and over earlier.

Did they change the controls? Maybe i was doing something wrong.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Not as far as I know... of course I didn't play it right when it came out, so maybe there was a bug earlier on? Not really sure. But playing it now, it has all the essential moves that are present in the other games.

Ryudo wrote: Dark Void Demo. Hated it. Terrible.

Funny, I was just thinking of it this morning, and how much I loved it. One of those games that I think got unfairly trashed because most people who played it fit into two groups:

a.) People who start playing, aren't immediately good at it within a few minutes, and decide it's the fault of the controls.
or
b.) People who play it through to the end and see the terrible, abrupt ending. And despite the game not being all too bad up to that point (story notwithstanding), they decide the whole thing sucks because the story left such a bad taste in their mouths.

Me, I loved it.
I can relate to the people in (b) group, because the story and ending really were pretty damn bad. Even if a game plays really well, it's hard to get over it when a story feels this thrown-in and unprofessional, so I can relate.
But I think for the folks in (a) group, it's not that the gameplay is bad, it's just that it's not their kind of game. The on-foot TPS parts are simple and straightforward enough; not too far removed from any other cover shooter (which cause it to be criticized anyway). As far as I understand it, that's never really been your genre anyway.
But the flight is what gets most people. For me, it controls extremely well. I've always wanted a legitimate go-anywhere jetpack game, and this was right up my alley. It doesn't control all too differently from any other flight game, except that it's even more three-dimensional than most. And, in being that way, it makes it easy for most people to get disoriented.
Disorientation = people getting frustrated.
And when people get fustrated, they tend to blame the game.
I'll admit it's not absolutely perfect, but it's no worse than most any other arcade-style flying game. This is from the people who made Crimson Skies, after all. They know what they're doing when it comes to flight.
I think most people just aren't enough into flight games to get a good grasp on Dark Void though.
And so it goes on being hated...
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Beat Assassin's Creed 3 and moved on to ninja Gaiden 3.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Calshot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:22 am

Finally got back to playing Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. I've been switching the audio language to French whenever I'm playing as Nicole and then back to English when I'm playing as George to make the game feel a bit more realistic.

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr., Who Really Cares?
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 am

I wish more games would let characters who speak different languages actually speak them.

Beat ninja Gaiden 3, going to play some multiplayer, the co-op is great lag free fun and now that I've beaten it I can go through the entire story with any character. Overall fantastic game waaaaaaaaay better then the beta version released a while back. Next up is ZombiU.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 am

Just played all the way through Mirror's Edge in a single sitting (not difficult; it's pretty short).
The notable thing about it though, is that I did the whole thing without shooting even a single enemy. Doesn't sound like much at first, but go ahead and actually try it sometime. The last few levels have some pretty crowded action scenes, and isolating enemies to go hand-to-hand with them gets difficult as hell.
Feeling oddly proud about it right now.

OL has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Segata Sanshiro Jr., Who Really Cares?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:05 am

Don't they even start you with a gun in a few scenes?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 am

Only one I can think of is a particular office area where you start out with a pistol on the desk in front of you, and you can choose whether to take it or not.
I actually did take it, but only to shoot out a few windows before jumping through them while the cops were chasing me.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 am

I did that on hard, biznitch!

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:45 am

I never shot someone when I played through it either. It just felt like how the game was supposed to be played.

The only part that I found hard to do it was where you are running down some spiral stairs and there are about 4 guys shooting at you.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

It's defo one of those games where you get a real buzz outta successfuly pullin off multiple moves/combos in one smooth, flowing motion.

I can tear peeps to shreds on FIFA with my passing, I can destroy hoardes of villains in Arkham challenge maps at ease, and I can make it through a whole stealth game without being spotted once, but I don't think anything's as satisfying as gracefully running, dodging, and climbing your way out of trouble in Mirror's Edge.

Granted, the times you fuck up are majorly frustrating, but to pull off enough combos with the occasionally impossible control layout are pad-breaking moments, but when you execute it perfectly...

There aren't many games that leave you feelin so big-headed.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:34 pm

^^Absolutely. Yesterday I wallrun-kicked an enemy, spun him around, performed a back-takedown on him, slid over to his nearby partner, kicked him in the nuts, finished him off with a combo, then vaulted over a shipping container and stomped an enemy on the opposite side.
Pretty effing satisfying when you do it all without thinking, then stop for a moment and think "holy shit..." after you've already done it. :lol:

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming