What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Kenny » Mon May 16, 2016 10:40 pm

OL wrote: The fact that it utilizes a legitimate stealth system this time is a pretty huge change. Same with the slightly more "open" environments that crop up here and there. And the grappling hook is ridiculously fun. Best swinging mechanics and physics I've ever played.
It's really a game made for big fans of the earlier games. There are easter eggs, sure, but more importantly the game provides a genuinely good wrap-up for its main characters, which is a rare thing to come across. I almost never see endings to long-standing series that truly feel satisfyingly over and done with, but this one absolutely nails it, and also adds new depth to the events that have come before.

Didn't the other games have a stealth system too? I remember sneaking around killing enemies before. They probably added that new "enemy sight" system and have a full on area dedicating to not being seen, but I didn't think it was that different. The grappling hook is definitely new but I also remember Tomb Raider implementing that kind of thing before.

I guess I'm too spoiled with the stuff Tomb Raider has already been doing. Though the story is quite good here.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Coromasta » Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 am

Finished Uncharted 4 last week, today I found ratchet and clank for a pretty good price.
Also picked up the last of us, still need to finish the harder difficulties since last gen.
After that my Toro vga box should come in the mail,so I'll be testing that out as well.
Coromasta
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Tue May 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Kenny wrote:Didn't the other games have a stealth system too? I remember sneaking around killing enemies before. They probably added that new "enemy sight" system and have a full on area dedicating to not being seen, but I didn't think it was that different.

Oooooh no, it's way different. Or rather, refined to such an extent that it's a legitimately viable option this time.
The earlier game, you could technically try to sneak through an area, but it was kind of a wasted effort most of the time. If you get spotted it goes full-on action and suddenly everyone knows where you are. One of those cheap AI things where it's like the bad guys are all connected to some kind of hive mind.
In U4, the enemy sight is certainly new, indicating when you're about to be spotted and all that, but it goes further than that. Now, if you dodge the enemies' line of sight even during a gun battle, you can go back into stealth while they search for you. Flank them, snap someone's neck, pop off a few shots, then drop back into stealth if you want. I can't remember exactly, but I think The Last of Us was like this, so they basically just transplanted and slightly altered the systems from that game. Still, the options available go way beyond the previous ones, and the level design facilitates it all perfectly.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed May 18, 2016 10:43 am

Really digging Uncharted 4. The only thing that gets me, is when I bounce between multiplayer and the campaign. If I load up the MP first, then play the campaign, going from 60fps (MP) down to 30 (SP) is pretty jarring lol. That's not really a negative against the game at all, just something I noticed since I'm trying to make the game last and playing multiplayer after I finish a chapter or two. I do love how they managed to hold a steady 30 fps this time around during the single player. Haven't noticed any major drops like before. MP is silky smooth, and a lot more fun that I expected.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:21 pm

I am generally against Multi-player in Uncharted, because thats never what this series was originally about, but I see why it had to ultimately be included in this "multi-player and online experience in every game" era we are in right now :roll:

It just bothers me that some people buy the game just to jump into the multi-player like a COD or BF or any other generic shooter series with a weak single player campaign and main focus being online, and Uncharted is just not that at all. For Uncharted the single player campaign and story takes the main stage, keep the multi-playered tached on nonsense out of it I say!

Anyway, I'll give Uncharted 4 a play once the price goes down when the GOTY version comes out like I always do. I waited until Uncharted 3 was $13 for a new copy of the GOTY on PS3... honestly meant to pick it up before then but never got around to it. Still love the series, but they are so short and I prefer to buy a complete package and dont mind the wait and the lower price.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed May 18, 2016 5:08 pm

For Uncharted the single player campaign and story takes the main stage, keep the multi-playered tached on nonsense out of it I say!

Still love the series, but they are so short and I prefer to buy a complete package and dont mind the wait and the lower price.

That precisely why they added MP eons ago. As good as the campaign is, once people are done with it they're pretty much done with the entire game. MP gives an incentive to buy it because you can get more bang for your buck.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Raithos
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby GYO6161 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:17 pm

I refuse to pay for online since i always get rekt and i end up not having fun so U4 is done for me once i beat the campagin so yeah, still enjoyed the game.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Kenny wrote:That precisely why they added MP eons ago. As good as the campaign is, once people are done with it they're pretty much done with the entire game. MP gives an incentive to buy it because you can get more bang for your buck.

I Understand why they did it, im just a purest about single player games then a series going multplayer, I know its "Why not get all this extra cool content and play time?" I just have no interest in it cause I dont play onilne (I dont have Playstation Plus), and I also think there are better games and franchises for online multi-player. IDK maybe Halo 2 put this to rest back on Xbox, but im the crotchety old man about this subject I guess. :P
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed May 18, 2016 10:13 pm

AG, I played the MP for two days with my little brother before I fired up the campaign :P. Also, some people don't wait until its $13 before they buy it lol like Kenny said it just adds value and replay-ability for those who enjoy it. Some people prefer playing TPS online over FPS, and they get their fix with Gears, Uncharted, Last of US or The Division. It doesn't take away from the SP, especially not when its a studio like Naughty Dog.

What's funny is that Drake's Fortune was originally supposed to have MP. I remember a video interview (IGN I think) when Among Thieves MP was announced with Neil Druckmann where he talks about how they wanted the first game to have MP. He said Naughty Dog felt the team wasn't big enough (and it wasn't then) to give 100% to multiple game modes so they focused their efforts. He talked about how WinBack: Covert Ops was one of his favorite games and a huge inspiration for how the game play mechanics for Uncharted came together and I can totally see that.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun May 22, 2016 5:05 pm

So anywho, been playing Heroes of Mana on DS and figured this might end up being underrated and it is. Crazy how much people jumped up and down on this game for not being traditional Mana game, as in Action RPG. It's a spin off so should be exempt from such hatred. It's actually my first foray into the series and it's rather excellent.

It's a Strat RPG (more RTS than tactical turn based). It's kinda like FF XII: Revenant Wings except better. And the music is great too - composed by the legendary Yoko Shimomura and the game scenario written by Masato Kato (yup, Chrono Cross/Trigger, Masato Kato) which is also surprisingly good. It's kinda like an Ivalice game in its storyline setup, lots of political intrigue and adult cast (there's only 1 character under the age of 18), all of the characters are war hardened mercenaries and knights. It's got a rather bleak tone for a Mana game (which I take it, are more charming adventures normally?) Plus the sprites are lovely, the only real problem is how bad the framerate and the slowness of battles can put people off, but aside from that, I think this game is really underrated so far. Difficulty is just right too.

Square 's best output was definitely on handheld last generation.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Sun May 22, 2016 10:57 pm

For the first time in a long time, playing something other than MLB.

Valkyria Chronicals Remastered

Axm has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed May 25, 2016 3:45 pm

I'm back on Binary Domain.

Such a great title, so atmospheric, great story, I can't wait to get home from work each day and play a bit more! :D

Truck_1_0_1_ has received a thanks from: OL
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby delvec19 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:15 pm

Uncharted 4 is definitely the most beautiful game I've ever played. Makes me drool to wonder what Yu can come up with for III.

These iPhone shots won't do it justice at all, but I felt the need to take them anyway.
Last edited by delvec19 on Tue May 31, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delvec19

Postby Raithos » Tue May 31, 2016 12:44 pm

You can take screen shots with your PS4. And you really shouldn't be posting those without spoiler tags, especially with conversation in one lol. Even locations can be seen as spoilers for a series like Uncharted.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby delvec19 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:48 pm

Raithos wrote: You can take screen shots with your PS4. And you really shouldn't be posting those without spoiler tags, especially with conversation in one lol. Even locations can be seen as spoilers for a series like Uncharted.

I don't really own the PS4 I'm playing it on (it's my brother's) so I didn't know that. Literally the only game I've been interested in for years until III comes out. Then I'll buy whatever system is out at that time, PS4K most likely.
delvec19

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming