What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Like Goldeneye doom is a nostalgia thing but in reality nothing that great
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:26 pm

It's not all nostalgia. It had a huge impact on the industry as a whole, and popularized one of the biggest genres in the entire medium. It's a wildly important series and was, for its time, very well-made.
FPS's have advanced incredibly since then, but that doesn't negate Doom's merits.
We could go back to any game that was popular and influential in the past and claim that it's "in reality nothing that great," but it's just such a jaded point of view.
The fact that we've become accustomed to the intervening advances in gaming since then doesn't lessen the quality of past games. As different as modern FPS's have become, 2D FPS's may as well be considered a separate genre. And in that genre, Doom is excellent.

OL has received 4 thanks from: Martin, Mitsuzuki, St. Elmo's Fire, Who Really Cares?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:36 pm

OL wrote: It's not all nostalgia. It had a huge impact on the industry as a whole, and popularized one of the biggest genres in the entire medium. It's a wildly important series and was, for its time, very well-made.
FPS's have advanced incredibly since then, but that doesn't negate Doom's merits.
We could go back to any game that was popular and influential in the past and claim that it's "in reality nothing that great," but it's just such a jaded point of view.
The fact that we've become accustomed to the intervening advances in gaming since then doesn't lessen the quality of past games. As different as modern FPS's have become, 2D FPS's may as well be considered a separate genre. And in that genre, Doom is excellent.

Same is said about Goldeneye and Zelda Oot but play them now and they are not all that great anymore so yes at this point in time it's mostly nostalgia and you are the one that spouts that all the time for years
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:38 pm

To you ;-)
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: To you ;-)

That made no sense.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:44 pm

You claim games like Doom and Goldeneye are simply a nostalgia thing but in reality nothing that great. Not every one will agree with those comments just like you would not agree if someone said Gravity Rush was nothing that great.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: You claim games like Doom and Goldeneye are simply a nostalgia thing but in reality nothing that great. Not every one will agree with those comments just like you would not agree if some one said Gravity Rush was nothing great.

I don't give a shit what they say about GR I don't have a boner for it like OL does. OL has been saying those exact things for years esp about those two games and other games in general and otfen agreed with him and now he make a vague statement that conflicts that because he likes it. If he didn;t like it then would say the same stuff he did on Zelda oot & Goldeneye. They were great in their time but have not aged too gracefully so yes it's mostly nostalgia why some older games not aged well. Sonic on Genesis SUCKS but I love it. Mario 64 is clunky as fuck but still enjoy it. Age is just not kind to all games even great ones
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Ryudo wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: You claim games like Doom and Goldeneye are simply a nostalgia thing but in reality nothing that great. Not every one will agree with those comments just like you would not agree if some one said Gravity Rush was nothing great.

I don't give a shit what they say about GR I don't have a boner for it like OL does. OL has been saying those exact things for years esp about those two games and other games in general and otfen agreed with him and now he make a vague statement that conflicts that because he likes it. If he didn;t like it then would say the same stuff he did on Zelda oot & Goldeneye. They were great in their time but have not aged too gracefully so yes it's mostly nostalgia why some older games not aged well. Sonic on Genesis SUCKS but I love it. Mario 64 is clunky as fuck but still enjoy it. Age is just not kind to all games even great ones

Opinions man, you gotta accept them. To many Doom III is still a solid game and worth re buying right now.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:53 pm

I can't speak for Doom III. I'm just talking about Doom the original. I played that back then on PC and Castle Wolfenstien. Doom III isn;t old enough for too many mechanics to change I would think. In the Quick Look on Giant Bomb still had nice visuals
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Ryudo wrote: Same is said about Goldeneye and Zelda Oot but play them now and they are not all that great anymore so yes at this point in time it's mostly nostalgia and you are the one that spouts that all the time for years

I say it about Goldeneye because, really, it isn't anything particularly special or excellent in its genre. It just offered 4-player local deathmatch on a console which, as much as I love the first Halo, is also the main reason that that game gained such popularity as well.
OoT, as I've said in the past, is a game that I recognize as being great, innovative, and influential, but don't have any personal love for because I vastly prefer others in the same genre. I've never taken anything away from it in regards to its quality, only saying that I'm not as much into it as people who played it when they were kids. I've stated that people preferring it over other technically superior games in the same genre is a case of nostalgia, because that's absolutely what that preference usually comes down to. Saying it's nostalgia for most people doesn't imply that the game isn't great, by any stretch.
In the case of Doom, however, as I said, 2D FPS's may as well be their own genre separate from 3D FPS's, as different as the two styles are (unlike comparing, say, Oot and Wind Waker, which are both in the exact same genre).
And in that light, Doom is fantastic. Your statement that "in reality it's nothing great" completely disregards its merits, which is why I said anything to begin with.
And no, I don't have any particular affinity for Doom. I just recognize its quality.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Didnt realize it was here when I went in for a preorder. was pretty cool. i liked alot how the controller fit in the hands.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm playing the original now. I stand bye it has not aged well at all. It's downright crap now. Music still rock that that is it.

Axm wrote: Image

Didnt realize it was here when I went in for a preorder. was pretty cool. i liked alot how the controller fit in the hands.

Yeah I posted in the WiiU topic my impressions playing it at Best buy. Touch screen not always responsive. Pad is very light and solid. Will take getting used to on a controller that wide. Comfy in the hands no lag in the screen. However in menus 2-3 touches to register is an issue. Only new game it has I really want is Rayman Legends.
Sidenote take it you took this with a camera phone would explain the low quality

So eat it OL,WRC playing it now
Last edited by Bluecast on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Edit button.
It won't bite.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 pm

For me, Doom, GoldenEye and OoT are all absolute genius games. Of course there's a large portion of nostalgia involved, but I don't think you can say it's all nostalgia. All three of them were genuinely ground-breaking when they released, for their technological accomplishments, as well as rock-solid gameplay and quality design.

None of them were the first of their kind, so that's not the reason why they were revered. There wouldn't have been a Doom without Wolfenstein. There wouldn't have been an OoT without Mario 64. GoldenEye was first designed as an on-rails shooter, in the same vein as Virtua Cop (vestiges of this period in it's development can be found in the aiming system).

OoT took the gameplay formula of Mario 64 (even to the point of being built upon the Mario 64 engine) and gave the world the first playable 3D adventure game. If you play the original Tomb Raider now, it sucks balls. Lara is a cunt to move around. If you play OoT, you'll find that it's still relatively-effortless to manoeuvre Link through the world, thereby strengthening the player's handshake with the game.

The technology was revolutionary, as well. I certainly had never seen a sunrise in real-time in a game before, while I was playing it. It was the first believable little 3D cartoon world that had ever been presented in a game. Hyrule seemed a vast expanse, the dungeons were myriad and the bosses iconic. Again, the way in which you had effortless control over Link meant that you were never distracted from these things. Just an awesome game, through-and-through. There's nothing bad about it.

GoldenEye is the first FPS where you had objectives. It wasn't necessarily a run-and-gun game. It could be if you wanted it to be, but it could also run deeper. You could be stealthy if you wanted. The guards could trigger alarms, employ grenades to flush you out, and they patrolled routes.

Additionally, it's the first time where carefully-placed shots can give you an advantage. Previously, you just shot enemies. In GoldenEye, you shoot parts of enemies. Localised hit-detection. Shoot a guard in the hand, and he recoils clutching it in pain. Shoot him in the shoulder, he agonises over his stricken body part. Shooting them in the head does the most damage of all. Apparently this system is another carry-over from when the game was an on-rails title. And of course, the multiplayer was something console shooters only dreamed of before.

Where they kicked ass is what they brought to the table, bringing well-rounded experiences in respective genres for the first time. As undoubtedly-cool as Wolfenstein was, the levels were just grids. Grids that were uniformly-lit, with textures only for walls, basic weaponry and a bare-minimum of enemies to shoot them with.

Doom took this premise and injected a real sense of atmosphere and style. The technology behind it allowed for varied lighting, sloped ceilings and floors, textures everywhere. Crucially, the technology also allowed for complex level-designs, bolstered by an impressive variety of enemies and an array of exciting weapons. Even the sound of the thing was a big advance!

The gameplay was fast and ferocious, with enemies that could even get pissed off at each other and begin scrapping it out amongst themselves. All of these things were huge advances, and the game remains playable and fun today. I would argue that your touch-screen device doesn't exactly do it justice. Not to look at or run, but to play. Also, it was a revolution in multiplayer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjM7420xuIk[/youtube]

It also has the best pump-action shotgun in video game history.

Image BOOM *chk chk* BOOM. Image

I'm sorry, but Doom kicks ass.

Martin has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Many games in history were revolutionary and set standards in many aspects. Still the Original Zelda is ass now same as Mario Bros on NES. Mario 64 is clunky as fuck now. Zelda Oot mechanics still solid as ever but everything else about the game is just above average. Doom the original I'm playing it and it's just not good. Also that video you posted. They get excited about facebook games. All their videos are named awesome.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ck8iv75wk[/youtube]

Yeah....
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming