What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby OL » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:07 am

Oh wow. :lol:
Cool way to announce a game like that, actually.
Have to say I think the art doesn't look quite right all smoothed out though; in a weird way, I think the pixelation of the DS version works in its favor.
All the same, yeah, there'll have to be some odd changes made for it to be one screen. So I'd still recommend the DS version for anyone considering it. It's just a different experience, doing it all on a handheld system, reading through like a great book, not to mention the importance of the dual screens to the plot. The idea of this on one screen is just weird to me, like how I think it's weird that The World Ends With You is available on mobile. It was essential in the original, so the thought of going without it is strange.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:49 pm

OL wrote: like how I think it's weird that The World Ends With You is available on mobile. It was essential in the original, so the thought of going without it is strange.

I actually never thought about that and you made me curious how they did it. I just looked it up on the App Store and from the screenshots it looks like you only control one character now. Been awhile since I played that game but it kinda defeats what made it so unique.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Ryuuji95 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:09 am

Virtua fighter 5 Final Showdown, WWE 13' just to name a few.
Ryuuji95
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fury7493
XBL: HazukiXL64
Steam: AkiraXL64
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5: FS

Postby myshtuff » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:42 pm

Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones on 3DS. It was one of the ambassador games for early 3DS adopters forever ago, but it took until now to actually play it. Its really fun.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Uncharted 4 finally.
It's really good so far although it sure took awhile to get going.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:40 am

Gone back to Rare Replay and cracking on with Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby DL30 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:13 pm

I downloaded Indigo Prophecy(PS4) today.
I'm about halfway through and it seems like a decent port of the PS2 version.
It does have stuttering issues though and it did soft freeze on me once(It was fine when I restarted it)

I can also confirm it's the censored North American version(Not Fahrenheit)
DL30
Master of the Three Blades

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:54 pm

I am about 25 hours into Star Ocean 4, and I am really enjoying the game so far, you just play and grind levels for hours and do quests and create items. This one is much more inspired by star trek and I have noticed a couple nods at some other Sci Fi franchises as well (like I just explored a crashed alien ship on the planet im on right now, and it looked like HR Giger inspired artistic direction in this place, from Alien franchise fame). The story so far hasnt really got going yet, but a few things have happened and im not near deep enough into to even really make an opinion, but I am liking that you actually are playing as Federation officers this time around, thats part of what makes it seem alot like star trek. I also want to say that this game actually does look like an Xbox 360 game (even though I am playing the PS3 International version), it just has more dull grey-ish, brown plain colors and even the town designs and many environments seem a little more western inspired but there is still plenty that makes you know its a JRPG, this surprisingly isnt bothering me that much but its probably because its only like that with the visual style and thats it, you still get the quirky JRPG characters and a couple cliche ones *cough* Edge, Reimei, Lymle *cough* lol but im not one to really nit pick that either. One thing that does bother me, is one of Reimei's level up dialogue, she levels up and says "Maybe now I can be of some help to everyone" as if she is just some useless girl who has been taught to think shes not supposed to be better than men or something and there are other things that have happened in the game to support that as well, idk it just seems a little on the verge of sexism and it bothers me every time she says that shit. Anyway, despite most people saying not to waste my time with this game, I have found it to be enjoyable so far, and have been playing it every day for the past week. Feels good to just play a game every day for a change.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:33 pm

"I'm glad you're liking it kay. Make sure and keep us informed m'kay. You need to level up, m'kay?"

That little girl is the most annoying character from any game I've ever played. Its like she can't speak without saying kay or m'kay. 25 hours in I think you found her already. I really liked SO4 too. Probably the worst in the series, but 1-3 are amazing so that's not really an insult to it.

Did you end up getting SO5? I didn't see you post pics of it. I was hoping you did lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:59 pm

After playing 10-15 hours of SO4 I felt like I had been literally castrated.

Combat system was fun though.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:20 am

Raithos wrote: "I'm glad you're liking it kay. Make sure and keep us informed m'kay. You need to level up, m'kay?"

That little girl is the most annoying character from any game I've ever played. Its like she can't speak without saying kay or m'kay. 25 hours in I think you found her already. I really liked SO4 too. Probably the worst in the series, but 1-3 are amazing so that's not really an insult to it.

Did you end up getting SO5? I didn't see you post pics of it. I was hoping you did lol.

No I didnt end up getting the Star Ocean 5 CE like I had hoped, I had to cancel my pre-order for that. What I havent really been talking about on here is that I have been extremely sick dealing with my Ulcerative Colitis, and I havent worked for the past 5 months and been in and out of the hospital, anemic, lost about 10 pounds so im skinny af again and my financial situation is getting worse and worse due to me having to pay for medical bills. That new job I posted about a while back? Yeah, never even got to start it so I have not been able to buy any games recently and im doing my best to not let these bills go to collections and fuck my credit. Thats kind of why I decided to start a back log game in Star Ocean 4 and start playing it instead for now, also I was gonna go ahead and start playing Tales of Zestiria since Trails SC kind of sabotaged my time for that game last october, but I found out my unopened ToZ CE is going up in value (there are only 20,000 of them) so I decided its going to be a collectors piece, and I'll just get another PS4 copy of it later hopefully soon because I still do really wanna play it. Luckily for me Star Ocean 4 was just what the doctor ordered, a nice real time action battle system JRPG.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Aimless Gamer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Hope you feel better man. I have been going through the same (i have sma). Just a fyi though I thought the zestiria sucked due to the horrid new combat.
Aimless Gamer

XBL: Aimless Gamer

Postby OL » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:01 pm

Played a good chunk of Shiren the Wanderer for Vita, and it's pretty great so far. Complete and utter throwback to the SNES days. Them pixel graphics is gorgeous. I have the port of the original Shiren for the DS (along with Front Mission, it was actually one of the main games that convinced me to get a DS, since it was a port of a previously un-localized Super Famicom game), and I think I have the Wii game somewhere around here. But aside from maybe an hour of tryout time I never really dove deep into them. But yeah, a number of hours into the Vita one and I'm starting to find my footing. Legitimate roguelike, down to your exp and levels getting reset when you finish a dungeon and all. It's a bit easy so far, but the setup is all pretty hardcore stuff regardless. Lots of ins and outs to memorize and experiment with. Not sure how far I'll eventually get, but I'm having fun.

Also, since I'm apparently in a bit of a Batman/DC mood, I was thinking about Arkham Origins earlier and how I never got around to playing the Mr. Freeze DLC they put out, titled Cold Cold Heart.
Unlike most people, Origins was my favorite of the initial three Arkham games to be released. The other games were great, sure, but they always struck me with this really "videogame-y" vibe, the way their stories were basically just big excuses to cram as many villains and references in as possible. That kind of thing always feels a little forced to me, even if the writer was someone as fun as Paul Dini. Origins, meanwhile, felt a helluva lot more focused in its story, more like something that would legitimately work in the comics. There are lots of villains, sure, but they're mainly obscure ones, and they all actually factor into the plot in some essential way, rather than just being there for fanboy giggles. Really underrated game that a lot of people seem to ignore just because it isn't a Rocksteady game.
Anyway, was intending to just get the DLC and play that, but I got all wrapped up in the main game once again, so I figure I'll go through that first. Goddamn blast so far, even having playing it before.
I do have to say though, it's a terrible, terrible shame that the upcoming Return to Arkham pack is only going to include Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, but skip this one entirely. Though I love it, Origins is the one entry with more technical problems than the others, and really could use a nice remastering on PS4.
Anyway, I guess I should finally get Arkham Knight after this. It's down to about 20 bucks at most places anyway.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:03 pm

Reigns. It's like Tinder only you lose more than Riku does.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:30 pm

OL wrote: Also, since I'm apparently in a bit of a Batman/DC mood, I was thinking about Arkham Origins earlier and how I never got around to playing the Mr. Freeze DLC they put out, titled Cold Cold Heart.
Unlike most people, Origins was my favorite of the initial three Arkham games to be released. The other games were great, sure, but they always struck me with this really "videogame-y" vibe, the way their stories were basically just big excuses to cram as many villains and references in as possible. That kind of thing always feels a little forced to me, even if the writer was someone as fun as Paul Dini. Origins, meanwhile, felt a helluva lot more focused in its story, more like something that would legitimately work in the comics. There are lots of villains, sure, but they're mainly obscure ones, and they all actually factor into the plot in some essential way, rather than just being there for fanboy giggles. Really underrated game that a lot of people seem to ignore just because it isn't a Rocksteady game.
Anyway, was intending to just get the DLC and play that, but I got all wrapped up in the main game once again, so I figure I'll go through that first. Goddamn blast so far, even having playing it before.
I do have to say though, it's a terrible, terrible shame that the upcoming Return to Arkham pack is only going to include Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, but skip this one entirely. Though I love it, Origins is the one entry with more technical problems than the others, and really could use a nice remastering on PS4.
Anyway, I guess I should finally get Arkham Knight after this. It's down to about 20 bucks at most places anyway.

I'm in the camp with those who didn't like Arkham Origins, not because it wasn't made by Rocksteady (it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference who made it so long as it was a good game), but because it felt like a quick cash-in 'til Arkham Knight. I got the game at launch, and I was actually really enjoying myself for the twelve or so hours I was able to put into it... and then my save file corrupted and I refused to play it again until they patched it, which they did about a month or so later. Started a whole new game, was really enjoying it once again, but then it just started to drag and seem tacky with very little substance outside of being a generic open world with Batman as the main character. I hated what they did with the Joker, too, turning him from the evil, twisted motherfucker with an ambiguous and mysterious background that he was in the previous two games into nothing more than a theatrical assassin. There was no reason for him to be in the game outside of the fact that he just had to be in there because it's Batman, even though there are a whole group of other assassins from the rogues gallery after him. Completely agree that it's very comic book-ish; I think that works in its favour.

Arkham Knight is great (and a technical marvel, too), but I'd have to place it at #3 out of the four.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming