What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:56 am

Caved and fired up Valkyria Chronicles Remastered on PS4, wow I think this game is getting its hooks into me early, im even starting to think even the story may really be something by the end of this thing, and the strategy for these battles are right up my alley and the non-open world/wold map style works so well for this, and the music is good. Also Vyse and Aika are in it, meaning it pays homage to Skies of Arcadia so what more reason do I need to continue? So glad I decided to start playing this, what a gem.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm currently playing the remake of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on the PSP. The game is a remake of the predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics and offers player choices to bring characters down either a law or chaos route (and later neutral, i believe). I've just made my first choice at the end of chapter one, and I think I've gone down the law route, although the choice itself is not "good" by any means. Definitely an interesting story and I can see some serious parallels with Final Fantasy Tactics--primarily with the characters of Vyce(LUCT) and Delita(FFT).

The gameplay, however, seems to be much less interesting than FFT. There are tons of classes, but you can only change classes if you find the classmark for the class. As far as I can tell, these are found as (random?) drops from battles. While a lot of these classes sound cool, most of them seem to be pretty useless in battle and I find myself defaulting to my archers and magic-users, or my flying unit because it has superior mobility. Melee classes are just too slow and are outclassed by archers to the point of irrelevance. Further, the skills are just much less interesting than the ones in FFT, so customizing your characters isn't quite as cool. The game really feels like a vanilla version of FFT, which, in a sense, it kind of is. It's still a fun game but it isn't quite as interesting as FFT, at least so far.

Sorry for directly comparing it to FFT, but I think in this case, it certainly is acceptable. I think I'll do a full review when I manage to finish the game, although I'm not sure when that will be.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:24 am

Currently alternating between a bunch of stuff, which is generally unusual for me; I usually try to focus on one at a time.

Bought a game called Ruiner on the recent Steam sale. My current avatar is from it. And actually, the avatar sums up the game pretty well: cool aesthetics and a whole lotta killing. I'm not usually interested in twin-stick isometric shooters, but this one has enough personality and enough of a sense of cool to genuinely keep my interest. The fact that it's cyberpunk (not just futuristic, but genuine cyberpunk) helps too, since I'm a nut for that shit. It's fecking hard though.

(EDIT: May as well spread some love while I'm talking about it.
phpBB [video]
)

Also started a game called Scrap Mechanic. I think it's still in early access. There's no story or anything, but the whole game is all about building whatever the hell you want using a huge variety of scrap. My first attempt at a car failed pretty hard, but I'm still learning. And that's really the bottom line with it: there's a lot to learn. The potential for amazing things is high though, so it's been keeping my interest.

Found out The Saboteur was on gog.com, so I grabbed that too, fitting in with my recent groove of trying to play old PS3 favorites on PC. Game is just as fun as ever for me. Only disappointment being that there isn't a whole lot in the way of graphics options. No anti-aliasing, no option to remove motion blur, and the draw distance remains relatively short for characters and cars (even though my computer could totally handle it if the option were there to change this stuff). Still, getting to play with mouse aiming is great, and everything else functions really well with a "wasd" setup. And it looks better than the PS3 release regardless, so it's all good.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Telekill » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 am

I finished the the campaign in Star Wars Battlefront 2 and only play now if I have someone to play co-op with. I won't touch the multiplayer by myself as I don't really find it fun and bought the game in the first place to play online with family. So it sits... collecting dust.

I've gone back to Horizon to hopefully get that completed before Christmas. As of Christmas I'll be playing Assassin's Creed Origins. I got it for half off on Black Friday. I'll also be playing some Mario Odyssey which I got for my 10 year old. That should be fun as well.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 am

Shin Megami Tensei (SNES) - English fan translation, around 2/3 of the way through it now. Incredible game. What an atmosphere they managed to create.

Tempted to jump into the Megami Tensei 1 and 2 fan translation next (SNES).

phpBB [video]

The soundtrack for the Megami Tensei remakes on SNES had all of the music rearranged by the legendary Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Thief wrote: I'm currently playing the remake of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on the PSP. The game is a remake of the predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics and offers player choices to bring characters down either a law or chaos route (and later neutral, i believe). I've just made my first choice at the end of chapter one, and I think I've gone down the law route, although the choice itself is not "good" by any means. Definitely an interesting story and I can see some serious parallels with Final Fantasy Tactics--primarily with the characters of Vyce(LUCT) and Delita(FFT).

The gameplay, however, seems to be much less interesting than FFT. There are tons of classes, but you can only change classes if you find the classmark for the class. As far as I can tell, these are found as (random?) drops from battles. While a lot of these classes sound cool, most of them seem to be pretty useless in battle and I find myself defaulting to my archers and magic-users, or my flying unit because it has superior mobility. Melee classes are just too slow and are outclassed by archers to the point of irrelevance. Further, the skills are just much less interesting than the ones in FFT, so customizing your characters isn't quite as cool. The game really feels like a vanilla version of FFT, which, in a sense, it kind of is. It's still a fun game but it isn't quite as interesting as FFT, at least so far.

Sorry for directly comparing it to FFT, but I think in this case, it certainly is acceptable. I think I'll do a full review when I manage to finish the game, although I'm not sure when that will be.

Well after you beat the game it lets you choose where in the story you want to drop and make choices (anchor points) so whether you go Law, Chaos or Neutral doesn't really matter yet so just enjoy the journey as it goes. Took me over 100 hours to complete two routes. After you beat all of the routes it opens up an Epilogue chapter & post-game dungeon (over 100 floors) which I never did do since I was burnt out by that point. Still, it's a Matsuno classic.

OL wrote: Currently alternating between a bunch of stuff, which is generally unusual for me; I usually try to focus on one at a time.

Bought a game called Ruiner on the recent Steam sale. My current avatar is from it. And actually, the avatar sums up the game pretty well: cool aesthetics and a whole lotta killing. I'm not usually interested in twin-stick isometric shooters, but this one has enough personality and enough of a sense of cool to genuinely keep my interest. The fact that it's cyberpunk (not just futuristic, but genuine cyberpunk) helps too, since I'm a nut for that shit. It's fecking hard though.

(EDIT: May as well spread some love while I'm talking about it.
phpBB [video]
)

I'm wanting to check out Ruiner just because the soundtrack is done mostly by Sidewalks and Skeletons (who's one of my favourite independent artists at the moment) and has a couple of tracks from Susumu Hirasawa (10/10 Japanese electronic artist) in there as well. I love cyberpunk aesthetics as well. Will check it out at some point but alas, already have tons of games to play at the moment.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Impromptu played the first 4 hours of Persona 5... man that game is set up to suck you in and keep you in, not being able to save for that long so close to the beginning of the game. I know what I am getting my self into though and I love the new system so far, this game reminds me of so many other games: Time Stalkers and Evolution 1 and 2 on Dreamcast have always reminded me of Persona, it even gives off a Shenmue vibe just because of the exploration of japan. And its REALLLLLYYYYY good to see some actual anime cut scenes in a modern JRPG OMG THANK YOU ATLUS, I BOUGHT THE GAME TWICE, THANK YOU.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Realized just recently that with all the games that came out late last year/early this year, I somehow never actually got around to finishing Dishonored 2, despite how ridiculously excited I was for it. Then I realized, oh shit, Arcane had also released Death of the Outsider not too long ago, which from what I understand is a bit of an epilogue of sorts to the stories of Dishonored 1 and 2.
But since it's been so long, I figured I'd go ahead and boot up the PS4 Dishonored remaster first. Figure I'll just do a whole series playthrough. Really enjoying myself. I've beaten the first game around three or four times already, but it's always fun to go back in and experiment, and I can't wait to get back to Dishonored 2 and finally hear some more of that Steven Russel voice acting again (seriously one of the greatest elements of fanservice I've ever seen a developer put into a game).

And, with all of that on my mind, I also finally ordered Prey for PS4, since it was also developed by Arcane. I remember being a little put off by the hidden transforming enemies back when I played the demo, but I was assured that eventually it's not so much a problem once you level up a bit, so I'll probably be tackling that after I get through all the Dishonored games.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 am

Playing life is strange after dropping the first chapter almost a year ago, now I'm finishing the 3rd chapter...

I'm kinda enjoying it, kinda meh. I think the best parts of the game are those little moments when you sit and music starts playing. Most of the dialogue is pretty cheesy, the characters are ok, but exude "how do kids talk nowdays?"vibe.

It's interesting how they approach some of what in old AG should have been logic puzzles, and the time reverse feature actually plays well with it. But I also feel that most of the "playable" parts are very unninteresting.

Also, the world is kinda bland (probably because it drips hispstery from everywhere). Even if there is an actual story here, I felt like Gone Home was a little more earnest in it's writing, and both tackle somewhat similar themes.

I'm still enjoying it though.

Also finished DOOM on switch.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm

I've been playing a lot of fallout 4 recently. VR mode or regular mode, the game is only good if you install a lot of mods. Sim settlements is an EXCELLENT mod that gives you a sense of progression with settlements. Feels like how the stock game should've been handled. It basically makes settlement management a lot more like simcity where you tell settlers where to build stuff (residential houses, commercial, and industrial), and the settlers build their own shit instead of you micromanaging. The buildings also evolve over time. It is a nice way to create settlements without putting in a ridiculous amount of effort placing every single tiny little item in every settlement.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:48 pm

*Kenshin Himura* has received a thanks from: OL
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby OL » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:38 am

Hadn't seen that cover til now. With Yakuza 2 being my favorite in the series, I gotta say... that boxart is pretty perfect.

OL has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
OL
Shenmue III

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 am

^ Indeed it is. When is US release for you guys?
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby gillian_seed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:29 am

Too bad Kaoru is not there, but nice cover anyway.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby King John Blaze » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Super Mario Odyssey - So far good game but just seems a bit bland compared to Super Mario 64 which was the last Mario game I owned/played. No music in most sections of the worlds and it also seems to be very easy. Liking the game but can't see where the 10/10 scores have come from especially as the game locks certain moves unnecessarily behind motion controls.

Also go the BioShock series and playing through that again. Really enjoying the first installment. Games I am looking to complete as soon as possible -

Super Mario Odyssey
BioShock 1, 2 and Infinite
Horizon Zero Dawn DLC

So I can then get started on -

Bully
Persona 5
Zelda - Breath of the Wild
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:21 pm

I'm many, many hours into Prey right now (and it's seeming like it'll be many, many more hours before I'm done), and I absolutely love it. I wasn't super-enthused when I played the demo way back, because the stealthing enemies were a pain, but once you figure out tactics for them, it's not a problem at all. Mainly, I just love how atmospheric the whole game is. Same vein as System Shock or Alien Isolation, but maybe a little less grim. Most impressively, the devs actually seem to have modeled the entire space station the game takes place on, as you can actually explore the exterior in zero-gravity with no limitation. Crazy amount of work they put into it.
Still confused as to why it had to be called Prey, as it has nothing at all to do with the old 360 FPS. Probably should have just been a new IP.

Still, I think this has cemented Arcane as one of my favorite developers. First Dark Messiah, then Dishonored, then Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, and now this? That's a downright nutty stream of inventive excellence right there.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming