What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby OL » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:25 pm

^^I still haven't finished it. Maybe because I was trying to do as much as possible, but at some point I just totally burned out on it. I want to give the game more credit than most reviews have given it (because it really does take serious steps to change things up with the series) but I just don't really like it as much as earlier games. The freerunning changes still get on my nerves.

But yeah, Bloodborne next week. Can't freakin' wait.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Well that demo for Final Fantasy XV effectively killed off my hype for that game. :roll:

No gambits, no tactical gameplay, no car to drive around in, a lack of enemy variety, repetitive hack 'n slash gameplay with no depth to it and the fact that in the final game you won't be changing party members like you were supposed to be originally when it was called Versus XIII (which is really a stupid decision now) will make this game a slog to play through, especially if it's ridiculously long like other JRPGs out there. The only part which really impressed me was at night when these androids jump out of the drop ship and start attacking you even though you're already battling goblins and cerberus enemies. Aside from that? A colossal disappointment. Even the music is kinda naff and generic.

I honestly liked Type 0 (what I've played of it so far anyway) way more, despite the fact that people are joking about Type 0 so much - if only FFXV had as much variety in gameplay styles as Type 0 does! It needs it! Type 0 is so good in comparison and it's from the same exact development team/director - what the fuck?! :???:
Say what you will about Type 0's graphics, but man, I'd take gameplay like that over FFXV's visuals and repetitive gameplay. [-(

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Thief
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:17 pm

^How can Square be so stupid? It's like they read every fan expectation for the game and did the contrary. So much for "saving the jrpg genre"
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:05 pm

My sentiments exactly Henry. I said the same thing yesterday in a lot less words when Axm asked if anyone had played it. I started type 0 after the demo and I really enjoy it so far. Only 5 or 6 hours into it but It's actually fun unlike XV. I can't fathom how they are from the same team. I did really like the sneaking part though, the atmosphere in that section was handled extremely well.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:23 pm

How long is the demo though?
I was kind of under the impression right from the start that the demo would likely just be showing off a bunch of action, trying to be cinematic as possible and whatnot. What I'm hearing doesn't really contest that.
Not having played the demo yet I can't comment on it concretely of course. But does it really seem like the entire game will be like this, or do you figure the full game will open things up and progressively have new features as it goes on?

I dunno, I'm having kind of a hard time believing that with as much variety of content as they've shown off before, with all the hubbub about how it'll have a world map again, with all the footage they've shown of these immense open environments and character special abilities... that the entire final game, 50-hour RPG that it's likely to be, is just going to be "tap X to win."
Does it really feel like the demo is a reflection of everything in the entire game, or do you think you guys might be jumping the gun just a little bit on judging it?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:35 pm

I went over to my buddy's house, who bought type-0 almost only for the demo for ffxv, and we started up the demo first because he was fuckin' stoked for ffxv. Well, about half-way(?) through the demo we were bored to shit and decided to just turn it off... popped in type-0... and instant fun.

I really hope the final product is better because I really didn't like the demo.

I love how my friends first question when we started playing was, "Oh! Is it like 12?! Awesome!" ... which quickly led to "Oh... no... it isn't".

edit:
OL wrote: Does it really feel like the demo is a reflection of everything in the entire game, or do you think you guys might be jumping the gun just a little bit on judging it?

I can only judge what I've played of the demo -- and honestly I have no idea if the demo is a reflection of everything in the entire game, but, all I can say is I hope I'm jumping the gun, because the demo is boring as all hell. Considering the point of a demo (I think at least) is to emulate what you can expect from the final product, I kinda just have to assume that this is what the final game is like. Who knows though, it's just a tiny slice of game taken completely out of context. In the end we have to wait for the actual game to be certain.

I'm with Henry though, accurate demo or no, my hype is kinda killed.

Thief has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:37 pm

I still havent even booted up the FFXV demo again, but tbh and judging from the tutorials I did see while playing it, there are options that are there that I think people are missing and forgeting about while going through the demo. I think there may be a high learning curve for this game (I couldnt even get passed the parry portion of the battle tutorial before I just turned it off), I was kind of perplexed on how one would really implement the instant teleport skill that noctis has. Did anyone get a glimpse at the level up system or skill tree system (if there is one?) Maybe that would better explain everything and what skills are possible. Im not sure everyone is utilizing everything this demo has to offer, the tutorials seemed a bit complex and I was trying to understand much of what I needed to do, it was kind of weird because everything usually comes naturally in Final Fantasy. Is this just a bad demo? Or a bad game? Idk BUT.....

I am having a fucking BLAST with Type-0 so far. Its fun, battles are interesting and switched up from the past entries, the worldmap/field/RTS battles are cool and fun, I have died a few times trying to figure out what to do and how to win. I can tell there is going to be a interesting progression of skills that will make the battles in this game stay fresh as the game goes on, just the fact that there are multiple battle systems, you have mission battles (which take a little from the shooter genres book and make you have to get behind cover and pop out to deal damage to enemies at certain points, kind of reminded me of a fast paced version of Valkyria Chronicles during the missions battles a bit, which cant be bad), You get to take control of summons for boss battles and kick ass with them, the field battles which are like mission battles just its a free for all and you are running around an open area and wreaking havoc, then the RTS style battles where you are trying to take over territory on the world map in the name of the dominion, cool stuff there, and I havent even gotten to the airship battles and whatever other battle styles there might be. And you get to do much of this in the first few hours (I think im 7 hours in?).

Did I mention you have a huge list of characters you can use pretty much right at the beginning of the game? There is alot to choose from at the beginning, a surprising amount actually. And I absolutely have to mention all the references to the other Final Fantasy games and how this game pays homage to them. Alot of references to XIII obviously with the l'Cie and what not, but vintage FF is in there (the world map setup for instance), FF6 with the magitek armors (so glad they put those in here btw), FF7 with the chocobo breeding section (I freaked when I went to the chocobo ranch for the first time), The school setting/balamb garden esque Akademia area from FF8 with the student/teacher scenario as well, and it reflects much of how things are done in FFX and after. The moogles I absolutely adore in this game, and it seems the localization is great too.

Only thing I have really heard negative about it (well I have heard alot of things, mostly ppl bitching because it was a PSP game initially and its not a true PS4 game, its transition to PS4, blah blah blah) is that the story is very hard to understand, BUT I think we may have a mis understood game with this one, as there is SO MUCH content you simply cant see in just one play through apparently the game is made to be played multiple times and I think thats where the gaps are filled with alot of people that reviewed this game after one play through.

Anyway, there are my first initial thoughts on Type-0, and I am loving the world of Orience so far.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Axm
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:03 pm

OL wrote: Does it really feel like the demo is a reflection of everything in the entire game, or do you think you guys might be jumping the gun just a little bit on judging it?

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Is this just a bad demo? Or a bad game? Idk BUT.....

It's just a bad demo. A really, really bad demo, since like I said, they took out various things like the car, gambits, various enemies are missing, missing abilities that you get when you level up (it even says after you level up at the camp "new abilities unlocked... not in this demo though, sorry") and no co-op battles like they were showing off in all of the trailers. The game will probably be better, but right now, they need to keep that game in development a lot longer yet if this is all it is at right now. It seems like they've taken so much out of the demo that it's setting a bad precedence. The final product could probably be amazing for all we know? Here's hoping.

Orange, I was of the same opinion since the trailers showed off so much incredible shit, but this demo has practically none of that, just a very standard hack 'n slash combo, stealth (which was cool, looking back on that part of the demo), camping (which is a good idea) and warping and nothing else. You'll see what we all mean when you play it yourself, the game demo is very barebones, like pre-alpha. Far, far from finished.

I wasn't coming at this from a negative standpoint at all, you know how hyped I was for this game and want it to be good. I honestly really wanted to like this demo and expected to, so it's a bit of a shock for it to be so mediocre.

And I totally agree with Animegamer and Raithos, Type 0 is very addictive and very well made and is pretty much exceeding my expectations with it. It's just a really solid Action RPG. So we know this team is more than capable of delivering an amazing mainline Final Fantasy, it's just they need to do much better/more than they are doing now.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm thinking I may just stick my demo code on ebay as it's going for £20+ which would almost pay for Type-0 alone. After a few trailers I've decided too go cold turkey until I actually buy the game.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Mirror's Edge on Hard.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:50 pm

^The sequel to that seems to have been in development forever. I'm actually surprised more games don't do parkour/freerunning, since it's a really great concept for games. Hopefully now we have VR coming out, there could be some cool games with freerunning/parkour in them.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:02 pm

I can think of quite a few freerunning games personally. I would say the genre was made somewhat popular by the AC series.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Axm » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Mirrors Edge 2 would make perfect sense on Project Morpheus PS4.
So would Silent Hills.
And any racing or FPS.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:52 am

It'd be a bit disorienting but pretty cool on a VR system.

Kinda glad the sequel is taking forever.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:43 am

Playing Demon's Souls atm cause the hype from Bloodborne is so real. All the reviews are coming in and praising it up and down.
But im gonna sit and wait for thursday when the Limited Edition I have reserved comes out here in Japan.

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming