What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:06 pm

I don't usually like answering on behalf of people, but since you are also of your latter words there, yes. :)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:34 am

Haha, awesome. :) Hi Ash!

I'm currently playing Afro Samurai. Not a good game, at least gameplay wise, but I like the setting, characters, humour and soundtrack and the crazyness of it all. It also looks pretty cool. I might actually check out the anime series, could be fun.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:26 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:
Once you get the armour suit, are you meant to wear it all the time? It ran out of power so I just left it in Sanctuary and have been laying the game as just the guy ("Steve") ever since, even though I've found some more of those power core things needed. I think I just left it because I didn't want it to run out when I really needed it, and/or when I'm miles away from anywhere and have to just abandon it...

Nah they did it a bit differently this time. I don't think they wanted us to use it 24/7 lol. It feel so powerful now. I mainly use it when I enter an area and there's a ton of bad guys, I will exit out and fast travel to Sanctuary and get it. Then fast travel back to where I was. Sometimes I forget I have it though. As long as you don't sprint, the power cores will last awhile. You can constantly pick pocket them from the a dude in the Brotherhood of Steel lol. Don't worry if you have to abandon it somewhere, it will leave a marker on your map where it is. You can/will get more than one suit, so know that it only shows the last suit you exited on the map. I won't spoil anything, but you will get to a part where it is pretty much required.

Raithos has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Finishing up the Plat in Shadow of Mordor.
Life is Strange
Final Fantasy 7 for PS4!

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Yep, got to grips with FO4 now! :D The suit does make a big difference. I even play it a bit like Skyrim now by just running about twatting enemies with my enchanted tire iron. :D Quickly got addicted to the drugs I was using to make melee play easier, so once cured I now use shotgun quite a lot too. The first time I met an Assaultron though, fuck! :shock: It blocked every bash I threw at it, then flamed me to death in a few seconds. Funnily enough when I reloaded I beat it quite easily. Management of my camp empire takes up quite a bit of time, since I now have to pick up damned near everything for the scrap value in the workshop, which also supplies a few other camps using my settlers as supply routers. Quite a few interesting buildings which I can't get into, like the loony asylum and that recon base way up North which need specific keys and passwords. My lockpicking and 1337 h4Xx0r1ng skillz still suck so some of the interesting places I have been into still have bits to explore too. Not sure how much I like the level up/perk system yet, even though I'm a few levels up now...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:54 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Yep, got to grips with FO4 now! :D The suit does make a big difference. I even play it a bit like Skyrim now by just running about twatting enemies with my enchanted tire iron. :D Quickly got addicted to the drugs I was using to make melee play easier, so once cured I now use shotgun quite a lot too. The first time I met an Assaultron though, fuck! :shock: It blocked every bash I threw at it, then flamed me to death in a few seconds. Funnily enough when I reloaded I beat it quite easily. Management of my camp empire takes up quite a bit of time, since I now have to pick up damned near everything for the scrap value in the workshop, which also supplies a few other camps using my settlers as supply routers. Quite a few interesting buildings which I can't get into, like the loony asylum and that recon base way up North which need specific keys and passwords. My lockpicking and 1337 h4Xx0r1ng skillz still suck so some of the interesting places I have been into still have bits to explore too. Not sure how much I like the level up/perk system yet, even though I'm a few levels up now...

Joined the Brotherhood of Steel (which sounds like it should be Superman's mercenary army, kinda). Suddenly it all has more purpose and makes sense!

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Raithos
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:16 pm

I think you can all guess.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sonikku » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 pm

All I can say is bullshit A Wings are seriously overpowered compared to Tie Fighters/Interceptors... What the hell use is a mini rocket boost compared to a cooldown that makes you invincible? :mad:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Axm
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:19 pm

Starting Yakuza 5 today of course, but I took a bit of time to finish up the original Crysis first. Ridiculously insufficient ending. Sure, you fight a big giant boss, and I guess the campaign was a really good length either way, but they barely even leave you on a cliffhanger; it's more like cutting out in the middle of the third act of a movie. It feels like you're obviously nearing the end, not much left to do... and then the credits roll in, unexpected and out-of-place.
Either way, it's made me more interested in actually getting to play Crysis 2 and 3. Those ones seemed to get plenty of acclaim, and I'd really like to see some of the weak spots of the original ironed out.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:11 am

Finished Life is Strange. Amazing game.

Now on to Witcher 3.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Going through the Extra Ops in order to unlock more Story missions.

It's incredibly annoying that there are no hints given to accomplish whatever task I need to do. I end up taking over entire bases and wandering around like an idiot before giving up and looking online or stumbling upon it.

I need that stupid sneaking suit. D-Dog and Quiet can't help me on the Code Talker Cargo mission. Even the damn Helicopter can't help me, it keeps getting shot down and baddies automatically know where I am despite being hidden in the forest.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Tpgb12 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:31 pm

I have been trying really hard to beat Gaiares on the Megadrive. It's a fantastic Renovation/Telnet Japan shooter that's also hard as nails. That's the closest thing I am to currently playing a game. I need to start getting into Metal Gear Solid 2 soon.

Tpgb12 has received a thanks from: OL
Tpgb12
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Manic1231
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Gaiares

Postby OL » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Kenny wrote: Going through the Extra Ops in order to unlock more Story missions.

It's incredibly annoying that there are no hints given to accomplish whatever task I need to do. I end up taking over entire bases and wandering around like an idiot before giving up and looking online or stumbling upon it.

I need that stupid sneaking suit. D-Dog and Quiet can't help me on the Code Talker Cargo mission. Even the damn Helicopter can't help me, it keeps getting shot down and baddies automatically know where I am despite being hidden in the forest.

:lol: Man, I kind of think you just need to shelve the game. If you're playing specifically for story stuff, there's not much else that's worth it for all the trouble you're going to.
I kind of wish I could get back most of the time I spent on it. Feels like such a waste when I look back on it, because it really didn't amount to much. I love the actual gameplay, but it doesn't amount to anything in the end, and it's not worth the stress if that's all it is for you.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:41 pm

OL wrote:
I kind of wish I could get back most of the time I spent on it. Feels like such a waste when I look back on it, because it really didn't amount to much.

Aw, that's a little harsh.
I loved every second of that excellent gameplay and had a blast for more than a whole month. I wouldn't wish to get time back I spent in an amusement park, riding roller coasters, eating my favourite food or having great sex either. None of these things need a great story. :p Admittedly I wouldn't want to replay the whole game anytime soon, while I'd repeat the other activities anytime. But a better story wouldn't change that fact. A great story doesn't really make anything more replayable for me in general. It's not like the story would entertain or surprise me the same way again. Plus I'm rarely playing any game more than once anyway (aside from beat em ups etc.). So that's nothing I could hold against MGSV.
Give me DLC with 100 new side ops and I'll happily sink even more weeks into it.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 pm

I should clarify that it's not even just the lack of an engaging story that kills it for me. The gameplay mechanics might be excellent (I absolutely will not argue against that point), but they just aren't applied to anything memorable for me, outside of the odd instance here or there (like the initial boss fight against Quiet).
Very basically, I remember infiltrating bases, extracting guys, developing items, running for ridiculous distances and stretches of time... but it all totally blurs together after awhile. It's kind of like going to work every day; it might not be so off-putting if new, unique, and exciting things were constantly happening, but in most jobs every day is just a samey grind that, over time, blends together and becomes a total haze. That's the majority of MGSV for me.
And it's different from the activities you mention; going to amusement parks, eating good food, or bumping uglies with a fine lady might not require a good story or anything, but at least they leave you with some great memories to warm your soul. Outside of a small few instances, I really just don't have any great memories of MGSV.
I might not speak so harshly about it if the game were limited to, I dunno... maybe a twenty- or thirty-hour runtime? That would be totally reasonable for what the game actually offers. But being that the game can easily run for over five times that amount, with practically no standout memories left on the player (that would be me; not speaking for anyone else)... I just look back at it as a bit of a waste. I remember enjoying myself well enough, but in hindsight it didn't leave me with anything.

So for someone like Kenny, who doesn't seem to think much of the story and doesn't even particularly enjoy the gameplay... yeah, I'd really just recommend putting it up and playing something else.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming