What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52 am

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Because I'm bein starved of stealth. Such a shame to see that the series never made a significant enough leap from the original.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:06 am

Also decided to re play Condemned: Criminal Origins. Very under rated game and anyone with an Xbox 360 should try and pick it up.

And a little bit of Catherine which i need to finish. Got past night 6 which is good.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Played the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time demo. Really short demo, unfortunately. It was fun, but it does suffer a bit from being way too easy and a bit too "kiddy".
I've always looked at it like Sony has three main "cartoony" platformer franchises: Jak, Ratchet, and Sly. And while Jak and Ratchet developed a personality that easily caters to both kids and adults, it's always seemed like Sly stayed pretty firmly-rooted in "kid games" territory. Which is kind of sad, since I think they could easily have evolved it into a sort of "cartoon Ocean's Eleven" mold, with more in the way of clever humor and a slick kind of cool going on.
But unfortunately, they've kept it pretty firmly aimed at the general 8-13 age range, which is expecially strange since it involves theft as such a major center to the games' plots.
Still, fun games, and the new one seems no different. Might bother with it sometime in the future.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:28 pm

OL wrote: Played the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time demo. Really short demo, unfortunately. It was fun, but it does suffer a bit from being way too easy and a bit too "kiddy".
I've always looked at it like Sony has three main "cartoony" platformer franchises: Jak, Ratchet, and Sly. And while Jak and Ratchet developed a personality that easily caters to both kids and adults, it's always seemed like Sly stayed pretty firmly-rooted in "kid games" territory. Which is kind of sad, since I think they could easily have evolved it into a sort of "cartoon Ocean's Eleven" mold, with more in the way of clever humor and a slick kind of cool going on.
But unfortunately, they've kept it pretty firmly aimed at the general 8-13 age range, which is expecially strange since it involves theft as such a major center to the games' plots.
Still, fun games, and the new one seems no different. Might bother with it sometime in the future.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH SONY GOT DA EXCLUSIVS THAT AIN'T PUSSY SHIT YO! mAD SHIT THAT AIN'T FUH KIDS, CAUSE THAT GEARS SHIT IS FUH PUSSIES N FAGS AND ALL THAT NINTENDO SHIT IS FUH MAH KIDS.

This is what i got to hear anytime a PS3 owner saw an adult buying a Wii game, and even a few times around the office.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Spokane » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 pm

For some reason Sly appeals to me much more than the other two, that's a reason why I got the collection for it first.
I mean I don't think it's any more or less kiddy than the other two either.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby OL » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 am

I mostly consider it more kiddy than the other two because of the humor.
Like in the demo I played, it takes place in a circus level, and Sly says something to the extent of how he should be a magician and call himself "The Great Cooperoni!"
And it's done as one of those moments that's obviously meant to incite a giggle out of kids. I remember the first two games having humor very much along those lines as well, while the Ratchet series generally has a much more clever and/or smile-inspiring sense of humor, and the Jak series veered away from just being about humor and gags and instead focused on a slightly more complex story.
Just out of the three, Sly feels more like a kids game, and that sentiment is backed up for me by how incredibly easy the gameplay always is.

EDIT: And to be clear, that's not a slam against it in any way if that's how it seems. As kids games go, Sly would be the cream of the crop, because they are a series of very good games. They just feel like they're aimed at a younger audience to me. That's all I'm saying.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:23 am

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I'm lovin every second of it, but at the same time I'm disappointed that, overall, it hasn't really come that far since the original. I understand the whole "don't fix what isn't broken" thing, but you woulda thought that it'd be setting the standard as it did just over ten years prior.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:30 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I'm lovin every second of it, but at the same time I'm disappointed that, overall, it hasn't really come that far since the original. I understand the whole "don't fix what isn't broken" thing, but you woulda thought that it'd be setting the standard as it did just over ten years prior.

Think of it this way, Invisible War went totally off the rails, it wasn't bad but it was so different it was too different. HR may be a bit disappointing in terms of innovation but it manages to actually be a Deus-Ex game. Hopefully they can offer some new ideas for the inevitable sequel.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:26 am

There is an arcade by me that I went to yesterday and I played Afterburner. Unfortunately, it wasn't the full rotating cabinet like in Shenmue, but it was just one where you stand in front of it. It was still awesome though.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: OL
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:35 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Think of it this way, Invisible War went totally off the rails, it wasn't bad but it was so different it was too different. HR may be a bit disappointing in terms of innovation but it manages to actually be a Deus-Ex game. Hopefully they can offer some new ideas for the inevitable sequel.

I never played it, but bought it recently so I could play them in chronological order. Then I found out that IW isn't BC -_-
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. After having 100% on the first two on 360, it's finally time to beat this one. I must say, even though BK fans tend to diss this one, I love it. It's basically classic Banjo-Kazooie, except the transformations of old are replaced by building your own 'transformations'. The platforming element is much reduced, but that's OK. In my opinion, most of those who decry Nuts & Bolts for not being a platformer probably haven't played Banjo-Tooie. That game took the old BK platforming formula to it's ultimate extent.

Aside from the graphics, there's really nothing they could have improved. 'Tooie is massive, and the later levels are ridiculously-complex. The levels are all interconnected, and some jiggies require a lot of work. I remember one in Jolly Roger's Lagoon which requires work in three different worlds to get. Nuts & Bolts is awesome, I don't care what anyone says. Not just a great game, but a great BK game. Such immense fan-service in N&B.

Martin has received 2 thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr., Who Really Cares?
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Think of it this way, Invisible War went totally off the rails, it wasn't bad but it was so different it was too different. HR may be a bit disappointing in terms of innovation but it manages to actually be a Deus-Ex game. Hopefully they can offer some new ideas for the inevitable sequel.

I never played it, but bought it recently so I could play them in chronological order. Then I found out that IW isn't BC -_-

Ouch, you might love it, or you might be thrown off. Me, i felt like I was playing a star wars game.

Martin wrote:Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. After having 100% on the first two on 360, it's finally time to beat this one. I must say, even though BK fans tend to diss this one, I love it. It's basically classic Banjo-Kazooie, except the transformations of old are replaced by building your own 'transformations'. The platforming element is much reduced, but that's OK. In my opinion, most of those who decry Nuts & Bolts for not being a platformer probably haven't played Banjo-Tooie. That game took the old BK platforming formula to it's ultimate extent.

Aside from the graphics, there's really nothing they could have improved. 'Tooie is massive, and the later levels are ridiculously-complex. The levels are all interconnected, and some jiggies require a lot of work. I remember one in Jolly Roger's Lagoon which requires work in three different worlds to get. Nuts & Bolts is awesome, I don't care what anyone says. Not just a great game, but a great BK game. Such immense fan-service in N&B.

Totally agree. It was also interesting in that it encourages the player to break the games logic.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Totally agree. It was also interesting in that it encourages the player to break the games logic.

Indeed! I'm up to the Jiggoseum. Banjoland.. OMFG. I nearly cried when went in that level. I know I already made the 'immense fan-service' comment, but that was before I saw Banjoland! I fucking love this game. What do you mean by 'it encourages the player to break the games logic'? There's one jiggie in Banjoland where you have to press a buttons so that Targitzan spews a football out of his mouth, and you have to score.

I was trying for the trophy on that particular challenge for a long time, and just couldn't get it. It just took too long getting one football, guiding it down to the goal past all the skittles, and then doing it again umpteen times. Then those gruntbots would come along and kick the ball off really far, and you'd lose loads of time getting it back.

So, I built a huge cage vehicle, put one of the skittles on the button, and totally rinsed the trophy. Got something like 26 goals in two or three runs, versus the 5 or 6 I would get doing it the 'normal' way with a run for each goal. Is that what you mean by breaking the games logic?

So far, the jiggies have been pretty easy to get, but the trophies have not. For those not in the know, in Nuts & Bolts, each challenge potentially gives three rewards; notes, a jiggie, and a trophy. Typically, a bar with three colours will appear during each challenge, with the colours signifying the prizes. The bar is red, yellow, and blue. Finish in the blue (which on times ones means doing it super-fast, and on other ones meeting very high requirements), and you get all three prizes. Finish in the yellow, and you only get notes and and the jiggie.

As I say, jiggies haven't (as yet) been a problem. Finishing in the blue has constantly been a real challenge, though.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Basically the kind of thing you mentioned.

The game will set rules, or give you a tutorial on how to score, and gives you these goals that are impossible to achieve going the route that was specified. Happens alot in the last area.

Playing Tales of The Abyss, i like Tales games despite how much i hate them.

Its funny though people don't seem to understand what I mean when I talk about the bad the strengths and weaknesses of the series. It always come down to "You're attacking Jrpgs".
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:43 am

Going to tackle Dead Souls mode on Yakuza when I get back home on Monday..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming