What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:52 am

Hats off, Thief.

I've gone back to MGS3. Drilled the controls into my head n I'm actually enjoyin it.

Also playin Titanfall. Easily the best online shooter I've played.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby shredingskin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:00 am

So dead synchronicity ended with a cliffhanger...

It was a pretty good game, there are not a lot of "not trying to be comic" adventure games, but the ending felt very unclimatic.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:13 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Also playin Titanfall. Easily the best online shooter I've played.

Excellent choice, man. I really didn't have high expectations for it, but it's such a brilliant game and a really refreshing first-person shooter. It actively encourages people to actually get stuck into the gameplay and get out there on the field instead of relying on camping for people obsessed with their K/D ratio ( :roll:), and the inclusion of bots with dumb A.I. was a really good move (the killing of whom would award just a single point per bot towards the overall score), too, furthering encouraging players to get out there.

Shame it was never able to shake off the stigma of being a CoD clone (which it absolutely isn't), paired with the fact that many of its players would inevitably flock back to Call of Duty come November. I really hope Titanfall 2 is very similar in terms of playability, but with changes that matter. It definitely needs a greater variety in weapons - one of my only complaints about the original.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:09 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: I'm SO glad I didn't buy that now. These things you describe sound like the things that nip my head in games too, but you're a level headed sort of a person yet even you're swearing about it, which means I'd probably have traded it in by now!

It's honestly one of those games where you HAVE to take over alot of camps and fulton a ton of soldiers in order to progress properly in the game. And plus it's unnerving how they can see you from far away. You get fucked over so easily especially on these Stealth Only missions.

ShenGCH wrote:
Kenny wrote: I'm doing one of those hellish "over when spotted" missions in MGS5. I spent the good part of an hour stealthy fultoning soldiers and a prisoner. I got the last Walker after so much cockteasing.

Mission complete, so I run out of there...and then I get spotted. Mission failure. Have to start right where the last checkpoint was which didn't even fucking save all that other progress I did.

Man when it comes to checkpoint placement, this game likes to BEND YOU OVER AND FUCK YOU IN THE ASS

Which mission were you playing, dude?

EDIT: "I got the last Walker after so much cockteasting." I'm an idiot. So, you're referring to "[Total Stealth] Footprints of Phantoms", right? I honestly only had to restart the mission twice in order to fully nail it down; D-Dog and a silenced tranq sniper are your best friends in a mission like this. The only thing that really threw a spanner in the works were the fucking riot suit enemies, but they were quickly taken down by commanding D-Dog to stun them combined with me putting the regular enemies to sleep. I think there are approximately five enemies covering the Walkers on the right side of the village, and a few scattered about the ones on the left. I recommend going for the ones on the right first (extracting instead of destroying them is infinitely less problematic), making sure to take out all enemies in that particular area, then sneaking around to the ones by the tents, taking out the few enemies that pose a threat, making sure to utilise D-Dog's ability to stun enemies, then going for them before getting clear of the enemies and running out of the Hot Zone.

That's exactly what I ended up doing plus using the Chopper to drop smoke so I can sneak in there and fulton the walkers. Then I had to run the fuck far away from the mission area since trying to get a helicopter so close after blowing the radar was a big mistake.

I'm now at the philanthropic septic tank mission which is another Stealth Only mission. After getting spotted with NO checkpoint layed out around that area, I turned it off and watched Walking Dead instead.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Alien: Isolation sure is one tense Stealth game. Not played a linear stealth game this tense in a loooong time. Shame it's not these guys (Creative Assembly) doing the remake of System Shock since going by how great this game is, it'd be right in their wheelhouse. I love stealth games like this that make you think about your next moves carefully and that you die in one hit. Saving system isn't infuriating like some other stealth games out there, thanks to manual saves rather than relying on checkpoints being decent. Finally a developer has captured what I love about the movie series even when other games and movies from the same series recently just suck. Game sure is a looker too, honestly first game I've played in a while that's made me just look around a corridor of steel pipes and vents in awe, the atmosphere is very strong in this one.

Also been flicking between Devil's Third which is honestly really good despite its bad reputation (a really fun combo of FPS and third person brawler) and Hero's Saga: Laevatein Tactics (DS) which is a really overlooked Tactical RPG from Aksys that's basically grid based but with a Dragon Force/Ogre Battle style combat system and has been great for passing the time on my dinner breaks at work.

Still going to finish Fatal Frame IV off soon also, just been enjoying my Christmas games a lot at the moment, at around 3/4 of the way through it now, honestly feel that it's the 2nd best game in the series behind 3; game is fucking glorious. Full of suspense, creepy/chilling moments, brilliant (and original) enemy ghost designs, new mechanics, intriguing storyline with the most bad ass character in the series, some of the best antagonists in the series yet, just a really well designed game overall (the hospital is full of memorable locations) that has surprises for even vets to the series like me. They'd really have to fuck up the last two chapters for me to change my opinion on it now.

EDIT: Gotta agree with Kenny: Fuck Chapter 2 of MGSV. Still not finished the game yet either due to how fucking ridiculous some of the missions are in that Chapter, I just YouTubed the rest of the game since it pissed me off. Will go back and finish it one day just for the satisfaction of saying "I did it" but yeah, they just get silly with the difficulty in Ch. 2. The story blows anyway, so you aren't missing out on much.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Kenny
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Kenny wrote:That's exactly what I ended up doing plus using the Chopper to drop smoke so I can sneak in there and fulton the walkers. Then I had to run the fuck far away from the mission area since trying to get a helicopter so close after blowing the radar was a big mistake.

I'm now at the philanthropic septic tank mission which is another Stealth Only mission. After getting spotted with NO checkpoint layed out around that area, I turned it off and watched Walking Dead instead.

Funnily enough, I had much less trouble with "[Total Stealth] Pitch Dark" (which I assume is the one you're referring to) than "[Total Stealth] Footprints of Phantoms", I think because once you get past Bwala la Masa, the vast majority of enemies located at the oilfield can be taken out from the hillside overlooking the oilfield with a sniper rifle (preferably with tranq rounds) with relative ease. You won't be able to take them all out from that location, of course, and time is of the essence, so bringing D-Dog or Quiet along with you to mark the enemies would be a good move; then you can move in, hold up the ones you've tranquillised, and start picking off the ones you weren't able to reach from the hillside. Fultoning yourself out of the mission area atop a materials container once you've completed your objective is a great way to make a fast getaway, too ;-)

What kind of equipment are you using, may I ask?

EDIT:

Henry Spencer wrote:EDIT: Gotta agree with Kenny: Fuck Chapter 2 of MGSV. Still not finished the game yet either due to how fucking ridiculous some of the missions are in that Chapter, I just YouTubed the rest of the game since it pissed me off. Will go back and finish it one day just for the satisfaction of saying "I did it" but yeah, they just get silly with the difficulty in Ch. 2. The story blows anyway, so you aren't missing out on much.

Agreed. Worst plot/story in a Metal Gear Solid game to date, but easily the best in terms of gameplay and all that stuff. I've come to appreciate the ending in time, but so much of the story was akin to an overblown fan-fiction.

The parasites can fuck off for all I care - nothing more than pre-nanomachines used to justify the seemingly superhuman abilities of particular characters; and not only that, but their existence in the canon completely ruins the mystique of characters such as The End and The Pain, relegating them to being products of what are basically voodoo steroids (or some shit) instead of them simply being born with, or adapting to and learning to utilise, their abilities. Skull Face being Naked Snake's clean-up crew in the shadows during Operation Snake Eater was a big fuck you to the legend of Big Boss, too. They could have linked Big Boss and Skull Face in so many interesting ways, but instead chose to dampen the legend of one in order to shoehorn in the other to make the whole "Your Boss and I go way back" thing full-circle. Speaking of Skull Face, he really sucked in The Phantom Pain. Embarrassingly so. Also, Chapter 51.

Also, fuck Konami.

\:D/

ShenGCH has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, Monkei
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:06 pm

They fucked up big time by making it too difficult on the Story missions. I expect getting into some trouble with Side Ops or choosing that difficulty, but shit not during the Story missions.

But the story itself is still the worst one. They try to justify the voice parasites as a legit thing but it's still the stupidest thing Kojima ever created. The new characters apart from Quiet are just forgettable or just not engaging enough. Even the existing characters are so goddamn boring. How do you single handedly fuck this up unless you stopped giving a shit?

When it's not being stupid hard, it's quite a fun game though. And I'll have to get back to you on my equipment, Shen. My loadloud is all non-lethal stuff.

Kenny has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:49 am

Kenny wrote: They fucked up big time by making it too difficult on the Story missions. I expect getting into some trouble with Side Ops or choosing that difficulty, but shit not during the Story missions.

But the story itself is still the worst one. They try to justify the voice parasites as a legit thing but it's still the stupidest thing Kojima ever created. The new characters apart from Quiet are just forgettable or just not engaging enough. Even the existing characters are so goddamn boring. How do you single handedly fuck this up unless you stopped giving a shit?

When it's not being stupid hard, it's quite a fun game though. And I'll have to get back to you on my equipment, Shen. My loadloud is all non-lethal stuff.

Yeah, they went too far with the parasites. I get the whole thematic thing, but their execution within the story is so half-arsed, overused, and tiresome to the point of inducing a sigh. Remember how the game was supposed to be about race and revenge? Well, the revenge part may as well not have even been there as it came across in such a watered-down way. It went from 'We need revenge against Cipher!' to 'We need revenge against Skull Face!' to 'Vocal cord parasites!' to... well, a pretty damn good ending that had nothing to do with the themes - and was actually akin to Sons of Liberty's theme of meme - but wrapped up the story nicely. I wish the real Big Boss' story went into more depth (most likely in the form of cassette tapes), but that didn't happen, unfortunately. All we really learned about the real Big Boss during the game was that he gave the greenlight to turn the medic into Venom Snake; that Zero harboured no ill will towards him, but the two were never able to reconcile because of their situations at the time; and that he spent the duration of his time post-coma setting up Outer Heaven in South Africa.

I have to slightly disagree with you about most of the characters not being memorable, though. Eli was awesome, but criminally underused, and they didn't even wrap up his story arc in the game itself because of the whole cut content thing. Apart from that, yeah, the rest of the characters weren't particularly interesting.

As a game, it's fantastic, but as a Metal Gear Solid game, it's a let-down.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Monkei
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:39 pm

I kinda liked Miller's development but that was it really. What the fuck was the point of Code Talker, seriously? Dude is nothing more than a walking, talking plot device.

Worst Ocelot in the series easily. Was so disappointed in his "character". What character? So much potential wasted. Same goes for Eli - wasted and then they never resolve anything with him because "duh, run out of time" when they had 5 fucking years to make this game.

As for Skull Face - potentially worst main villain the series yet then I remember Hot Coldman in Peace Walker, who also sucked. So did Liquid Ocelot in MGS4. And the B&B Unit.
As did Galvez and Paz in PW.
It seems like Kojima has lost his knack for writing compelling villains.

Even if I hated MGS4, at least that mess was complete, this was just an incomplete mess.

Kojima really obviously stopped giving a fuck after he finished MGS3, since he was given death threats to make MGS4 and continued on that path of royally not giving a fuck until we have the mess of a story that is MGSV. Yes, I'm bitter.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Monkei
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:05 pm

^ Ocelot was so out of character. So the crazy ass Ocelot we got to know in MGS 3, MGS 1 and MGS 2 was that kindhearted dude during the eighties? Seems unlikely and unfitting.

ShenGCH wrote:As a game, it's fantastic, but as a Metal Gear Solid game, it's a let-down.

With Kojima gone, the next game might turn out the other way around. :p
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Also, why was everybody so quiet in this game? Only seemed like it was just Miller, Code Talker and Skull Face talking much at all. Okay, rant over now. This was definitely the most disappointing game of the year for me. Should have learnt my lesson from MGS4 and PW but i was hoping that Kojima's last Metal Gear would be more memorable.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I kinda liked Miller's development but that was it really. What the fuck was the point of Code Talker, seriously? Dude is nothing more than a walking, talking plot device.

Worst Ocelot in the series easily. Was so disappointed in his "character". What character? So much potential wasted. Same goes for Eli - wasted and then they never resolve anything with him because "duh, run out of time" when they had 5 fucking years to make this game.

As for Skull Face - potentially worst main villain the series yet then I remember Hot Coldman in Peace Walker, who also sucked. So did Liquid Ocelot in MGS4. And the B&B Unit.
As did Galvez and Paz in PW.
It seems like Kojima has lost his knack for writing compelling villains.

Even if I hated MGS4, at least that mess was complete, this was just an incomplete mess.

Kojima really obviously stopped giving a fuck after he finished MGS3, since he was given death threats to make MGS4 and continued on that path of royally not giving a fuck until we have the mess of a story that is MGSV. Yes, I'm bitter.

Yeah, Code Talker's subtitle on his introduction should have been "An Old-Arse Walking Plot Device" instead of "A Wise Man Denied His Homeland." Basically, the parasites are a thing and they needed to include the dude behind them in the story, so Code Talker was born... out of complete necessity. Plopping in the stuff about The End being the first known person to be infected with parasites, as well as The Pain somehow picking them up, was bullshit, too. By that logic, they were either treated/infected with parasites on the battlefield or one picked them up and managed to infect the other, meaning they were most likely infected with the Russian strain. Then why were the rest of the unit, including The Boss (who presumably spoke in Russian to the team), not infected? Where did they even come from in the first place? (I kind of like the idea that no-one really knows where they came from, but isn't Code Talker meant to be some kind of amazing scientist whose research would cover this?) Seems like they just wanted to link past characters with the events in an attempt to interlink and tie things up. Interesting character; wasted potential.

Skull Face was the fucking man in Ground Zeroes, but they somehow managed to completely spunk him up the wall in The Phantom Pain. Such a flimsy, meaningless character in the latter.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Monkei
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:50 pm

By Eli you meant
Liquid Snake
right? Cause I count him as an existing character.

And yeah, I hope those stupid fucks who gave him death threats got what they wanted. Absolute fuckary of a perfectly fine narrative. I want to find them and kick them in the balls until they cry like little blue-faced bitches on the floor. Cunts.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Monkei
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:17 am

Kenny wrote: By Eli you meant
Liquid Snake
right? Cause I count him as an existing character.

And yeah, I hope those stupid fucks who gave him death threats got what they wanted. Absolute fuckary of a perfectly fine narrative. I want to find them and kick them in the balls until they cry like little blue-faced bitches on the floor. Cunts.

Yeah, I was referring to
Liquid Snake, but I am inclined to consider them separate only on the basis that they're so drastically different and almost new entities between separate games, much like Null and Gray Fox.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:11 am

Why did Volgin and Mantis not talk at all? So disappointing. What's even the point of bringing those characters back if they don't even get them talking at all? Heck even Eli/Liquid only has like two lines of dialogue in the whole game.
Why is everybody in this game a complete mute?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming