What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:37 pm

I think I am starting to get sucked into Yakuza 4 like I was with 1 and 2, im liking controling this new character too. I feel an all out Yakuza mode coming on, cant wait to get to the other characters and see how Kazuma fits into to everything.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Dark Souls 3. Best first boss battle in the series, bar none. Fucking epic. Love the hub area too, reminds me of Demon's Souls.
The blacksmith from Dark Souls 1 is back too, which surprised me.
In fact, the first real area really reminds me of the first area from Demon's Souls. A lot.
Especially some of the enemies like those angry knights, they remind me greatly of the "angry" knights from the first area of Demon's Souls a lot. And the dragon watching guard.
Generally speaking, I'm finding this game much harder than I was expecting and am getting arse kicked a lot, despite "training" myself up by playing Dark Souls 2 (PS4 port with the redesigned areas/enemies/items; which by the way, is really good and much preferred to the vanilla version of DkS2) all week in preparation. Regular enemies are hard, even the hollow enemies are.

Almost didn't get it today either after my bank decided to cancel my card on me as Amazon were prepping the order. Thank god for Argos for saving my day. Wouldn't say I'm knee deep into the game just yet since I've been busy lately but man, was so worth taking my entire evening up with. Praise the sun, this game rocks.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Raithos » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:13 pm

Dark Souls III is the shit! It’s better than I could have possibly hoped for. I’m not too terribly far as I have a both a knight and a pyromancer going at about the same spot (couldn’t decide), but I’ve defeated 3 bosses and what I think was a sub boss since there was no trophy for it. Either that or it was a glitch and the trophy didn’t pop.

Combat is extremely tight and responsive. I played way too much Bloodborne though. I can’t parry to save my life anymore. Going to have to find a good spot and practice because my timing is WAY off after getting used to the hunter pistol. And my god the Bloodborne engine is a thing of beauty. The game looks so good. Quite possibly one of the best looking games on PS4. There is no way we don’t see another Souls/Borne using this engine.

edit: PVP hot spot seems to be in the forest right now. Henry, what sort of build are you running with so far?
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:43 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I think I am starting to get sucked into Yakuza 4 like I was with 1 and 2, im liking controling this new character too. I feel an all out Yakuza mode coming on, cant wait to get to the other characters and see how Kazuma fits into to everything.

4, I feel, is the worst of the main-story games, after 1 (but only because 1 is archaic and not up to snuff in terms of polish); plus, it has a brutally boring story when it comes to Tanimura (that little shit is whiney to death and seriously annoying).

The end is also a bit underwhelming, but whatever, they made up for it with 5.

Anyways, I'm currently replaying Ishin! and I seriously love this game; battle dungeon is a bit annoying at times, but there is just so much to do and every time I see Inoue, I remember the summer of '13, where I voted like 300 times a day for Kashiwagi lol.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby OL » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:52 pm

:-s
Damn son, you cray-cray. Yakuza 4 was downright excellent in pretty much all respects, and Tanimura was one of my favorite things about it; his fighting style was the most refreshing of any of the new characters, and playing as a cop is something genuinely different for the series. I'd like to play as him in another new one if I could. I'd place Y4 just behind Y2 as my two favorites in the series.
I'm currently finding Y5 to be the worst of the main series myself. I have almost no drive to finish it at the moment because the story is going absolutely nowhere. While each character in Y4 was essential to the main story in some way, everything about Y5 feels random and shoehorned-in. The way it is at the point I'm at (just after it becomes possible to switch between Akiyama and Harkuka), if everything eventually does tie together in the end, it's going to be in some silly, forced way. There's no way around that. And the inclusion of Haruka as a playable pop idol is easily the worst thing the series has done up to now.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:13 pm

It wont be hard to top Y3 and in my book Y4 already has, at least this game is intact this time around (opinions would be different if the entire game would have made the cut in the west). Im still only on Chapter 3 but I can feel the tried and true Yakuza formula in this game much more than I did with Y3, while 3 had its good parts it had some strange and unusual things going on and just silly things cut out which rendered us not even getting the full game and a bit pointless to even release it in that state in my opinion.

Ultimately I am just glad I was able to get through Y3's story to even be able to continue this series because its a good one. I played a bit more the past couple days and it picks up more after where Y2 left off (so far) and even some things from Y1 coming into play. Plus just getting to run around in the familiar area of Kamurocho like we have all series long is a nice treat to come back to. I'll form a better opinion once im further in and have played with all the characters but im enjoying it like the first 2 games, which is the most important aspect to me and I was hesitant because you didnt control Kazuma the whole game, turns out its still working just fine and i'll control him later anyway so no complaints so far.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:14 pm

^Yakuza 4's difficulty spikes a lot towards the end, so prepare yourself for that. Level your guys up as much as you can, especially aim for the HEAT moves, since they become a god send at the last 1/4 of the game.

Shame about the issues with 5, I'm not going to play it for a while since I normally need a break between the games otherwise run the risk of burnout. I thought 4 was a great personally, much better than 3 was, which meandered around with its story until the last act where things actually started happening for real. Storywise 3 felt like a big step back from how amazing 2 was. That's just me though. At least 6 looks like it's bringing a lot of much needed change with the next mainline entry and 0 looks great.

Raithos wrote:Dark Souls III is the shit! It’s better than I could have possibly hoped for. I’m not too terribly far as I have a both a knight and a pyromancer going at about the same spot (couldn’t decide), but I’ve defeated 3 bosses and what I think was a sub boss since there was no trophy for it. Either that or it was a glitch and the trophy didn’t pop.

Combat is extremely tight and responsive. I played way too much Bloodborne though. I can’t parry to save my life anymore. Going to have to find a good spot and practice because my timing is WAY off after getting used to the hunter pistol. And my god the Bloodborne engine is a thing of beauty. The game looks so good. Quite possibly one of the best looking games on PS4. There is no way we don’t see another Souls/Borne using this engine.

edit: PVP hot spot seems to be in the forest right now. Henry, what sort of build are you running with so far?

I'd love it if they made a Tenchu game on that engine or at least a completely different kind of game from them after Dark Souls 3. They are saying that their next game (which is already been in development since Miyazaki took the reigns of From Software as President) will be very different from Souls, so I'm looking forward to whatever that is (Armored Core, Tenchu, first person game like King's Field and Shadow Tower, sci-fi Souls game, new IP, whatever). They have built a great engine though for themselves this gen, you're right, now there is no chromatic aberration filter like in Bloodborne (which made sense for that game considering the whole aesthetic of Lovecraft and distorted reality etc) it's even more of a looker. I love how quick they're getting their games out too and how they've got two DLCs in the pipeline for Dark Souls 3. Plenty of other developers are still having problems getting their games out in general thanks to their rubbish engines that are failures like Capcom with Panta Rhei and Square with Luminous Engine (at least Square have now decided to go with Unreal Engine 4 instead of just waste an entire gen again).

I also love how gradually your character goes Hollow and how many returning NPCs, enemies and environments there are from past games...gets me all nostalgic.

Already attached to a lot of the NPCs, the main hub area,
Firelink Shrine
, is straight up Demon's Souls league, imo. Every NPC is unique and interesting and I get excited when they have something else to tell me whether it's about their quest line/backstory/lore or new items they have for sale. In that area it's already beaten Bloodborne to a pulp. I think the game has some of the best level design yet too. The areas are fucking massive and there's so many hidden areas, enemies, mini bosses, items, covenants and NPCs I'm just swimming in it all at the moment.

I'm shipping with Herald, just for something different, liked the idea of going hybrid with a Faith/Strength build with some Dexterity and high Endurance backing me up. Regular enemies seem much harder this time around, which I love. Early bosses seem easier but I've been hearing the game puts you in a false sense of security early game before pulling the rug out from beneath you in its second half. lol. What about you? Which class did you go for?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^Yakuza 4's difficulty spikes a lot towards the end, so prepare yourself for that. Level your guys up as much as you can, especially aim for the HEAT moves, since they become a god send at the last 1/4 of the game.

Right now im going for some very useful items, I obtained the Rage Talisman for completing the friends challenge, the Rage items apparently do alot with the heat gauge, and there is one item that gives you double damage while in Heat mode, I know what I need to level up and what to leave alone, like right now I am skipping some of the skills that let you do extra environment moves during battle, like i think a guard rail finisher or something i'll get it later i just want to make sure ive got the important stuff down. Also the friend specials are pretty amusing during battle, dude ran out of M store and shoved a rolled up magazine into some street punks ass after swatting the fuck out of him with it, funny stuff. :lol:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:15 am

Still playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong. What a fun, beautiful, atmospheric, crpg.

KiBa has received a thanks from: OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:40 am

I tried Dark Souls for the first time..... christ.... yeah, these games are not for me.. at all.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:44 am

Played the DOOM Beta last night. Was pretty decent, but I just don't think I'm a massive fan of smallish multiplayer maps anymore. Nowt compares to Titanfall for me at the moment, it's just completely perfected online shooters imo, really fuckin lookin forward to the sequel.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby King John Blaze » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Been playing The Division which is better than I expected. Not a great game but does pass the time whilst I wait for something decent to come out.

Going to buy Ratchet and Clank when I next get paid. It will be the first platformer I have purchased since Sonic on the Dreamcast. Also looking forward to the re-release of Valkriya Chronicles
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:32 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: It wont be hard to top Y3 and in my book Y4 already has, at least this game is intact this time around (opinions would be different if the entire game would have made the cut in the west). Im still only on Chapter 3 but I can feel the tried and true Yakuza formula in this game much more than I did with Y3, while 3 had its good parts it had some strange and unusual things going on and just silly things cut out which rendered us not even getting the full game and a bit pointless to even release it in that state in my opinion.

Ultimately I am just glad I was able to get through Y3's story to even be able to continue this series because its a good one. I played a bit more the past couple days and it picks up more after where Y2 left off (so far) and even some things from Y1 coming into play. Plus just getting to run around in the familiar area of Kamurocho like we have all series long is a nice treat to come back to. I'll form a better opinion once im further in and have played with all the characters but im enjoying it like the first 2 games, which is the most important aspect to me and I was hesitant because you didnt control Kazuma the whole game, turns out its still working just fine and i'll control him later anyway so no complaints so far.

lol no problem guys, we'll disagree (2 and 4 are my two least favourite titles in in the series, but I consider 2 to be a very good game, outside of ridiculous story and Sayama being a horrible character to be placed as a protagonist in the series; 4 is a MASSIVE step back from 3, in my eyes) and that's fine, but I'm on 4 again now and it is... just tons more clunky than I remember (probably from being spoiled with 5 and Ishin!).

Tanimura is fun to fight with, but like Kaoru, he just doesn't fit as a protagonist; whiney, whiney, whiney, VA sounds borderline homosexual at times,
making him the main character of the story by the time of the final chapter is ridiculous, especially with what Saejima had to go through the whole game
and simply... no lol. I would've MUCH rather played as someone like Date or Sudo (though the latter is less-likely). Sure Shinada's fighting is worse, but he's a better character 50x over, IMO.

Haruka's idol bits were awesome and a lovely breath of fresh air for the series, not to mention that the story is killer and the combat much better.

Anyways, I deem 5, 3 and 0 to be the best in the series (in that order), so you can see that our taste are tons different! Anyways, not wanting to derail the thread. I'm playing 4 now and the substories are awesome (not to mention Hana/Aya Hirano is annoying, but gold).
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:17 pm

Interesting, the games in the series I would say most Yakuza fans would say were the best (2 and 4), you dont seem to care for that much. Y3 is probably alot better than the half of a game we received in the localized version, Y3 has one of the most notorious localizations ever I would say, but the core story is entertaining enough and while I like the Tokyo area better, Okinawa was a nice change, especially the house being right in front of the beach.

I'll hold my breath on coming up with my favorite Yakuza games until I am at least finished with Y4, but its already seeming like it might be one of the best in the series to me, at least from technical and game play stand point, since I havent seen much of the story and characters yet. Im 15 hours in and at the end of Akiyamas last chapter.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:02 am

Ive seen quite a few lists where 3 was on top actually AG
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext