What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:47 pm

The Elder Scrolls Online. When I get time. Hopefully it'll get decent soon. Still feel like a tit for blowin money on an MMO.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Monkei » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:32 am

OL wrote: I should clarify that it's not even just the lack of an engaging story that kills it for me. The gameplay mechanics might be excellent (I absolutely will not argue against that point), but they just aren't applied to anything memorable for me, outside of the odd instance here or there (like the initial boss fight against Quiet).
Very basically, I remember infiltrating bases, extracting guys, developing items, running for ridiculous distances and stretches of time... but it all totally blurs together after awhile. It's kind of like going to work every day; it might not be so off-putting if new, unique, and exciting things were constantly happening, but in most jobs every day is just a samey grind that, over time, blends together and becomes a total haze. That's the majority of MGSV for me.
And it's different from the activities you mention; going to amusement parks, eating good food, or bumping uglies with a fine lady might not require a good story or anything, but at least they leave you with some great memories to warm your soul. Outside of a small few instances, I really just don't have any great memories of MGSV.
I might not speak so harshly about it if the game were limited to, I dunno... maybe a twenty- or thirty-hour runtime? That would be totally reasonable for what the game actually offers. But being that the game can easily run for over five times that amount, with practically no standout memories left on the player (that would be me; not speaking for anyone else)... I just look back at it as a bit of a waste. I remember enjoying myself well enough, but in hindsight it didn't leave me with anything.

So for someone like Kenny, who doesn't seem to think much of the story and doesn't even particularly enjoy the gameplay... yeah, I'd really just recommend putting it up and playing something else.

Hmm, yeah. Gotcha. Good point about the fuzzy memories. :) I guess it's mostly me knowing how much fun I had that still let's me think so highly of it. When it comes to actual memories a blur really describes it quite well. About all that running around though - maybe you could have made more use of the vehicles? I took a jeep with me for most missions. Still had a lot of running to do of course and didn't always feel like backtracking to the car instead of just continuing on foot. But you could always order a new one to be dropped right next to you (I didn't make much use of that option though).

And agreed about Kenny - maybe you should just stop doing that to yourself..? :lol: :)

Monkei has received a thanks from: OL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:19 am

I finished playing The Beginner's Guide.

What a great game, I got cristal eyes for some seconds. Got me quite emotional, specially since working on my game when you just want to say fuck it.

Loved it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:05 am

EDIT Should have posted this in here, no idea why I posted it in the other topic, doh.

Currently playing Fatal Frame IV, knee deep into it now; it's a far more satisfying game in the aesthetics department than V was to me and feels like a Human Entertainment game in some ways like classic Clock Tower and Suda's oldest games like the Twilight Syndrome games (which I played a little of, these were his first games he directed at Human). And they managed not to botch the game's motion controls here, it's like a natural evolution of the previous games with no gimmicky bullshit, thank god. And the story is really good and legit creepy. It basically continues Suda's crazy obsession/fascination with Moons and it isn't anywhere near as cliche ridden as what V was. And the ghost designs are some of the absolute best in the series. Gothic lolita's who wheel around a creepy wheelchair with...well don't want to spoil that, psychotic hospital nurses and batshit insane doctors who enjoy torturing kids, demented kids who want to make you their personal toys to play with (including gutting people), a crazy painter who creates bizarre "works of art". And I'm only around halfway through so far, this game is so creepy and atmospheric. And I'm just so glad it's not in yet another old traditional Japanese house and set in a different kind of location since change is good.

The game has this quiet sensibility to it where you can hear all of the eerie/creepy ambient noises in the background that really emphasises the atmosphere even stronger (as well as heavy breathing and faces staring at you if you leave the pause menu running for too long), it just basically has this fantastic sound design work.

It's like Fatal Frame (Shibata and his team) + Human Entertainment (the Suda and his team side) = Fatal Frame IV. Plus you get to play as this badass detective in it too, which leads to a lot of adventure sections finding notes and clues, his sections also has these brand new game mechanics involving torches which are fun deviations from past games. It really is such a shame this game never got release din English since it would have been a cult classic if it was.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:11 am

Just played Emily is Away, it's a free 30 minute game of Steam.

If you grew up using AOL or MSN messenger or any of those chatrooms I'd seriously suggest giving this a go. It would ruin it if I told you what it was about. I always say that everyone can relate to the film 500 Days of Summer in some way due to past experiences and I feel this is like that.

Everyone should give it a go since it's free and as long as a sitcom episode.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, shredingskin
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:21 am

Witcher 3 is pretty good so far.
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and its pretty damn hard, but if I approach it like it's Bloodborne then I learn to treat every encounter with respect.
Also the game is very overwhelming in terms of content. It took me an hour just thinking how to approach completing everything and in the end, decided I should just stick to the main story. The game has NG+ anyways.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:49 am

Riku Rose wrote: Just played Emily is Away, it's a free 30 minute game of Steam.

If you grew up using AOL or MSN messenger or any of those chatrooms I'd seriously suggest giving this a go. It would ruin it if I told you what it was about. I always say that everyone can relate to the film 500 Days of Summer in some way due to past experiences and I feel this is like that.

Thanks for pointing it out, pretty cool game, and fuck yeah, was a trip in time. Hit too close to home.

Digital: a love story, is a similar game, also free.

EDIT: Looking at the steam discussions, it's incredible how "first love" clings onto people that much, so screwed up.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Just played Emily is Away, it's a free 30 minute game of Steam.

I also thank you for mentioning this.

I typed in my old username back in that period to heighten the authenticity for me. What a surreal experience.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Shotaro Kaneda » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:59 pm

Currently working my way though Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3
Shotaro Kaneda
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Shotaro! Kaneda! :shock:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:31 pm

How did Emily is Away end for you guys?

She just stopped talking to me as she felt weird after coming to visit. Tried to make out that I planned to get her drunk. Then Emma got with my friend and I died alone.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Calshot » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:17 am

^
Same thing happened to me.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Still on Fallout 4. Got MacCready's adoration and associated perk, everything is a bit TOO easy now in VATS. Like seriously, I can even pistol shot them in the head from miles away now!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:44 am

I still didn't get the chance to watch the new movie, but for this past month I've been trying the different Star Wars games I never played before. I finished up KOTOR recently and it was a pretty fun game, even though I wasn't immensely impressed by it (probably because I played too much Mass Effect and Dragon Age before it).

Now that I'm done with KOTOR I'm trying this one at the moment:

The early levels were a bit slow for my taste, but once I got my hands on a lightsaber this game became the ultimate Jedi Simulator :D . I'm having such a good time with this game, and I still didn't touch the early Dark Forces series yet!

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Raithos
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:32 pm

^You should really play the two Force Unleased games if you haven't already. Really great Jedi games that make you feel powerful. And the art is brilliant. Will probably replay them soon myself.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming