What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Oh, i remember going to the body but i just got some souls or whatever you called em here, i must have missed the weapon, still deleted it, hard games like souls style and this aren't for me, the game frustrated me so much it caused me physical pain in my hands and chest, i don't understand how after a long ass day at work some one would play something like this or souls game and find it fun, playing this makes me hate my life while playing it, that's how pissed off i was... Not the anger of wanting to break the controller, but the anger of not wanting to live.... so i guess for my own health it was the best choice to just delete it.

Atleast we have shenmue 3 to look forward to cuz i just don't find most regular games fun anymore, yakuza shenmue and gravity rush are like the only stuff I've enjoyed lately... oh well /endrant
Last edited by GYO6161 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Also trying out Niho. I've never played any of the Souls games so I can't really compare the too but damn is it hard. Combat seems a bit clunky but overall it's a fun game. Getting my ass handed to me when I face 2 or more enemies though. Seems like one of those games that will be more enjoyable as you progress. Fun demo overall. Looking forward to the final product.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:28 pm

So it seems Nioh is split up into missions. When the demo starts, it just kind of drops you off on this beach, so I wasn't exactly sure how the game was set up. But it seems like it basically has multiple separate maps, maybe a bit more like Demon's Souls than Dark Souls (though with a simple map between them, rather than a hub area). You start off heading through this ruined island village and the surrounding forest, and once you beat that you can switch over to some kind of rainy temple area (which I'm working on now.
I honestly thought the demo was going the be over once I finished the village; I'd already spent several hours on it, leveling up, finding any secrets and kodama I could find and all that. Died innumerable times. Finally fought the level boss and thought it was over... but now I have this whole other map to tackle, and I'm pretty happy about that.
TONS of content in this demo.
As for the difficulty, man oh man, is it every harder than Dark Souls. Not an exaggeration at all. Dark Souls seems forgiving compared to this. But at the same time, it isn't unfair, and the difficulty certainly isn't a result of bad design. It's an especially well-designed game once you come to grips with its controls and basic ins and outs.
One of the biggest areas of difficulty for me came from the way stamina (called ki here) is handled. If you run out of ki while attacking, your character has to involuntarily stop for a breather for about a second and a half. Likewise, your ki will not refill if you continue to block while moving. These two seemingly tiny details are polar opposite to Dark Souls, where you're left completely free to keep moving in either case, while stamina keeps refilling no matter what (though the speed of it may vary depending on your actions). It makes it so that, in Nioh, you need to seriously limit your movements and try to anticipate backsteps before making your attacks, while making sure not to let that ki bar deplete entirely, since even a second of inactivity can get you killed by the lowliest of enemies.
And if you accidentally get the attention of more than one enemy?
Forget that shit. In Dark Souls, enemies tend to have a certain distance they're willing to travel before they automatically retreat back to their patrols, making escape relatively easy. Also, while fighting, they'll often stop to circle you, or lay off for a moment between attacks. In Nioh... not so much. Enemies will follow you to the ends of the earth if you try to run away, and they're absolutely aggressive as fuuuudge. It's just the little changes, but garnering the attention of multiple enemies will usually get you absolutely wrecked.
I'm about 20 hours into Dark Souls 3 at the moment, and I have a feeling going back into it after this demo is going to feel like skipping through a field of dandelions.
Also, the boss at the end of the first level is excellent. Easily as good as some of the earlier bosses in most of the Souls series. Tends to telegraph his moves a lot, giving you good indicators of when to attack, but only a couple hits from him will completely obliterate you, which makes the process of trying to get the timing right a legitimate heart-pounder. Not to mention that it takes place in a tiny room, and the boss starts dropping magic circles that prevent your ki from recharging.

So yeah, this game is friggin' great so far. If you like the Souls series, play it. If you hate the Souls series, avoid this like the plague. Either way, if you play it, your face will probably be like this throughout the entire thing.

Oh, and playing through the demo apparently grants you access to downloadable extras for when the final game comes out. After beating the boss, it allowed me to download some kind of benefit (though it was vague about what it actually is). So if you plan on playing the game at all, I'd recommend going through the demo. No doubt any benefit you can start the full game with will come in handy.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:22 pm

OL wrote:
If you run out of ki while attacking, your character has to involuntarily stop for a breather for about a second and a half. Likewise, your ki will not refill if you continue to block while moving. These two seemingly tiny details are polar opposite to Dark Souls

A good tactic if your low on ki while fighting an enemy is to run away (no sprinting). The ki bar refills instantly.

Samanosuke Akechi has received a thanks from: OL
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. It's only a half-measure though. Once you get to the second area, there are ninjas who move really quick, and they can get to you pretty easily when you turn tail and run.

I might need to look some of the deeper techniques up though. Sometimes when you dodge, there'll be a bright flash around the character, and I'm not exactly sure what it's meant for. Have to look into this stuff, because the combat actually seem pretty deep as long as you can keep up the timing.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:18 pm

I just got the new Ratchet and Clank game and wow, what a revelation, is hella fun. Feels like a old school ps2 game with brand new graphics. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: OL
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby Calshot » Wed May 04, 2016 6:05 am

I practice HEMA (historical European martial arts) and was thinking of how a Europe-centric version of Bushido Blade would be like. Then I realized I've never actually played Bushido Blade and all I know about it is from what you guys said.

So I remedied that problem and holy cow, Bushido Blade is really fun.

I also finished Dark Souls 2 and its DLC not too long ago, and my thoughts seem to mirror pretty much everyone's. Fun, just not quite as inspired as the previous games.

Calshot has received a thanks from: OL
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby DL30 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:43 am

I just completed the Tales from Borderlands(5 episode physical copy)
Probably the best all-around Telltale game.
I cannot wait to play their Batman game!

Did anyone else who beat the game(Episode 5) experience a glitch(?) in the ending credits?
The music just stopped suddenly with a blank yellow background.
It was like it froze(But it didn't because I could still press the PS home button for the PS4 main menu)
DL30
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shengoro86 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:17 pm

Undertale.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Ryuuji95 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:22 am

American Truck Simulator.

Ryuuji95 has received a thanks from: KiBa
Ryuuji95
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fury7493
XBL: HazukiXL64
Steam: AkiraXL64
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5: FS

Postby redline » Sun May 08, 2016 11:22 am

battlefield 4 (online) - ps3

but i really want to get my hands on a copy of uncharted 4 =P~
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Mon May 09, 2016 3:05 am

Shantae for the Game Boy Color

I have an interest in playing pretty much any "Metroidvania" game I can, and have decided to finally give this series a go (after buying the second and third game on steam with a discount).

Really liking it so far, great soundtrack and the first two dungeons i've played so far have been really interesting. Decent challenge as well -- one of the best game's i've played on the Game Boy/Color. I'd recommend picking it up on the 3DS virtual console if you've never given the game a try.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue May 10, 2016 5:29 am

Just finished The Wolf Among Us. Fucking loved Mr. Toad.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Mr357
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue May 10, 2016 8:09 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:Just finished The Wolf Among Us. Fucking loved Mr. Toad.

Great game! I remember after I played it, I watched my sister do some of her playthrough. When she chose to slap the Toad in the face I was horrified that she would do that lol

Currently playing some Superhot on Xbox, cool game! I ordered Fable Anniversary, Yakuza 4 in a cool tin case and MGSV since I've been meaning to play these and I got them at a great price!
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue May 10, 2016 9:53 am

I slapped him just coz I wanted him to be pissed off every time I saw him.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming