What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby Bambi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Just finished the public demo for RE6 also.

I definitely agree about the camera being far too close, besides that it was pretty much what I expected really. I did struggle a bit with the controls during Chris' scenario and I alsofound it hard to tell my team mates apart from most of the enemies.

I suppose that would be my main gripe with this "survival action" in a way; having team mates generally makes the whole experience less scary. The exception to this would be Zero where they separated you at the worst possible times.
8-[
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Is it just me or is the gunplay really weak, and the recoil is crazy.

In real life you shoot in bursts but its almost impossible to do that, if you tap it you get only a few bullets if you hold it a second the reticule goes NUTS. Why not have the reticule stay in place but have the bullets spread over the area you're aimed at instead of raising my aim.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Hated RE5 so is it even worth me downloading the demo?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Hated RE5 so is it even worth me downloading the demo?

I can only speak for myself, but RE5 seems - nomen omen - gold when comapred to RE6.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm

I have opened the door back to Spiral Mountain in Nuts & Bolts. I'm going to hold off until I have every last collectible. I get so OCD with these collectathon games. Must. Have. Everything! The more I play this game, the more I love it. Fantastic entry in the BK series. Even though it got good scores, it seems 'underrated' in some ethereal way. People, if you have a 360, get this game! If you're really awesome, you'll get the first two on XBLA and 100% them as well.

MiTT3NZ wrote: Martin, I just read your post, and I gotta ask... Were you pissed when you wrote it? Fair enough, you can see both sides of the argument, but the whole thing reads like you're proving yourself wrong. Either that or you have MPD.

I mean, to say that you question the notion that Capcome betrayed RE's core fan base, and then explain why they have betrayed them doesn't really make any sense...

Good point! Basically what I meant was that I question the notion that the games have gotten 'worse'. They haven't (other than the storyline). Quite the contrary - and therein lies the problem.

Martin has received a thanks from: OL
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Martin speaks about the fact that the roughness of the original REs caters to a large number of fucked gamers. Me included. There's also a lot of nostalgia here, but it's not just nostalgia. There's also something sadomasochistic about it.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Spokane » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 pm

I saw you playing the RE6 demo earlier today Dorian. I thought "I bet he doesn't like it".
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Spokane wrote: I saw you playing the RE6 demo earlier today Dorian. I thought "I bet he doesn't like it".

I like the concept they had, but the execution is awful. The game is rushed and falls apart at every corner.
IMO
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Spokane » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:49 pm

So I was right then. :P
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:59 pm

Spokane wrote: I saw you playing the RE6 demo earlier today Dorian. I thought "I bet he doesn't like it".

Predicting he will hate something is just as impressive as predicting tomorrow Micheal Jackson will still be dead.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Spokane
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Spokane » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:00 am

I know, that's why I predicted it, low odds of being wrong.

Spokane has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:40 am

Martin wrote:Good point! Basically what I meant was that I question the notion that the games have gotten 'worse'. They haven't (other than the storyline). Quite the contrary - and therein lies the problem.

I dunno about that, theres a whole lot on every end of gaming that has gotten worse. Sure good games exist "they don't make em like they used to." applies in a lot of ways look at Square-enix for example. The technology is better but because they develop their games in a very backwards way nothing comes together fully. Its more then nostalgia that has people talking about games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6 and Front Mission 3 even today. As more people become aware of them and begin playing them for the first time discussions pop up about how great they are even now. Do you think people Will be saying the same about 13-2?

Now if you believe that all Japanese developers are no longer relevant, then I can use an American example that i understand quite well. R* spent years making Max Payne 3 and pumped tons of money into Team Bondi to create L.A.Noire. Neither game is bad, actually I quite like Max Payne 3 but despite offering mechanical, systematic, visual and cinematic greatness the game didn't fully resonate with me the way the original had. I'm not the only one either, as sales of the game were very weak and R* ate a big loss. For all the little details that R* sought to rub clean they missed the big problems the game had mainly in its core narrative and especially in it's writing.

Now I'm not hating on new games, but I really do see something missing, well a few things. I don't think gamers should go off the deep end for every mistake (see Bioware) but there is something missing, and if gamers become complacent, then things will continue to get worse.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:46 am

Big names like Capcom,Square,Konami have lost their way.SEGA can go either way but personally pleased with them last couple years. So Not all. Just the big names hard to see over them. Level 5,Falcom,Nintendo,Mistwalker,Atlus and more still get it just fine.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:51 am

Bluecast wrote: Big names like Capcom,Square,Konami have lost their way.SEGA can go either way but personally pleased with them last couple years. So Not all. Just the big names hard to see over them. Level 5,Falcom,Nintendo,Mistwalker,Atlus and more still get it just fine.

I think it goes beyond that (I'm also starting to get sick of Atlus a bit). Epic, Microsoft, Bioware, Ubisoft and Activision are as guilty as Square-Enix or any of the Japanese studios.

(Capcom is doubly bad since they keep putting small studios out of business making these really bad versions of their IPs)

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Dorian
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:55 am

Add R*, EA to your list IMO. Yeah I was just naming Japanese devs as many seem to just want to write Japanese devs off. Martin is one of those as he tends to stick to more mainstream games.(not saying that in a derogatory way) So just not that greatly versed on the industry. And no one says you have to be either. So I was just sayin
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming