What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Locke_cole » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:02 pm

OL wrote: Downloaded Galaga Tekken for my phone a few days ago, and it's a fucking blast. Totally free, too.
It's basically just Galaga, but with Tekken characters flying around instead. Each one has a different kind of shot; some are slow but wide, others fast but narrow, while others can hit an enemy and keep going to kill anything behind it.
There are also ways to activate a number of sort of "screen clearing" special weapons which all use old Namco arcade classics for their graphics (further illustrating why I love Namco; they never, ever forget about their classics).
My favorite is, naturally, the Rolling Thunder one, where the classic computer room pops up, and Albatross drops in to kill everyone present.

I've also seen ones for Pac-Man and Mappy. Not sure if there are others.
Played for a good long while yesterday and got a great high score. Pretty much finished every stage to the point where it had to start over with harder enemies.

Just downloaded galaga tekken...thanks!

Locke_cole has received a thanks from: OL
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:13 am

Sleeping Dogs for the first time.
Owned the game on PS3 for quite awhile. Time to finally go for it.

Axm has received a thanks from: Thief
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Thief » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:37 am

Axm wrote: Sleeping Dogs for the first time.

I've always wanted to play that game if only to walk around a virtual Hong Kong.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:40 am

Thief wrote:
Axm wrote: Sleeping Dogs for the first time.

I've always wanted to play that game if only to walk around a virtual Hong Kong.

It's great but annoyingly it has no first person driving view. I'm sure the atmosphere would be even more amazing if it did.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby SickOctopus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Playing Fallout: New Vegas at the moment. I know I'm a bit late starting it, but I loved 3 and the hype around 4 has got me pumped to finish this in time for when it comes out.
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:47 pm

SickOctopus wrote: Playing Fallout: New Vegas at the moment. I know I'm a bit late starting it, but I loved 3 and the hype around 4 has got me pumped to finish this in time for when it comes out.

JOHNNY GUITAAAAR!

Locke_cole has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:41 pm

New Vegas > 3, IMO.

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: OL
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:28 pm

I prefer the story of 3, but they are almost neck and neck in my book
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:41 pm

New Vegas had some of the greatest DLC I've ever seen. Particularly Old World Blues.
There's such a high quality of writing and acting in it, it feels like a damn wonderland for anyone who actually used to play games for the humor (old point'n'clicks and all that).

OL has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:58 am

God Dammit, I was going to hold out for a Shenmue HD Collection... but I just can't wait to play this. So back to Shenmue because I'm weak and it's awesome.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:24 am

I know how you feel. Realised I haven't played the series for 7 years so all this hype is making it tough to hold out. Still I can be your sponsor like they have at AA.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Thief
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:34 pm

So Freedom Wars is a fun game in a general sense, but there's something really unique (and borderline artistic) about it that I don't think I've seen in anything else before:
It makes fun of the way games nowadays over-explain themselves and make things seem more complicated than they really are.
We've all noticed it in the past couple of generations; games seem to spend so much time training you in the early stages, popping up instructional screens and all that, when you really just want to get into the game and figure it out yourself.
Freedom Wars does this constantly; it takes place in a world where there are rules about absolutely everything. You have to be granted rights to do just about any little action (even things like laying down).
And at first, the constant string of tutorial screens and over-explanations seems really annoying. There are a lot of features to take advantage of, but they're primarily things that can be easily figured out without explanation. It's not exactly anything groundbreaking or hard to wrap your head around.
And I was so ready to call all this tutorializing out as a big, ugly drawback on what's otherwise a really good game.
But then I got to the point, about an hour and a half in, where you're granted the right to exit your prison cell. It should have been as simple as the game saying "Choose the exit option."
But instead, it gives you this unnecessary explanation about how in order to leave, you have to submit an "exit request form," at which point your accessory (the robot who oversees all your actions) will determine whether your exiting of the cell will prove a benefit to the advancement of society, and will make a decision whether to let you out based on that.
All you do is choose "submit exit request," and you leave the cell.
At this point, I realized that the game was over-explaining everything on purpose. It's a giant gag, making fun of this habit that games (Japanese ones in particular) have developed over the past several years.
We all know that stopping the gameplay to tell the player that "the left stick controls movement" is absolutely silly; Freedom Wars is calling that shit out and showing just how silly it all is.
It's weirdly subtle, but it made me laugh my ass off when I finally figured it out.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Yeah, I got a similar feeling from it. It's definitely a play on the over exposed tutorials in gaming. Overall though, I like the game. It has a cool art stlye, but I don't think it really comes to life in-game. Also, clawing on a Vita? No thanks. I need to play this on a DS4, one of the only times I'd use the PSTV over a Vita.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Axm » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:03 am

Got the VGA to HDMI converter for my DC!
Now playing What's Shenmue!
Going through all the NTSC-J games now. :D
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:14 am

I've been playing DIvinity: Original Sin lately. If anyone liked RPGs like the Baldur's Gate games or Pillars of Eternity, this is even better. Highly recommended (specially with 3 or 4 players).
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming