Why did the Dreamcast die again?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Why did the Dreamcast die again?

Postby Mr. Frozen » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:59 pm

Im was just up all night playing a few games I recently "acquired" on my DC. As a matter fact I have been playing it more than my PS2 lately (it has gathered a bit of dust actually...) and more of my Dreamcast.

Why the hell didnt people buy this thing?

I bet if it wasnt for Isao Okawa's untimely death, sega would still be going strong now. Before he died, he even donated $700 million to keep the DC alive.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby EWJ » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:21 pm

I was just thinking today the same thing. I walked into a shop in sham shui po and saw an dreamcast and tv combo. it had a web cam and mic, the dc built into the tv and a keyboard at the bottom. I took some pics on my mobile but can't post them. I'd never seen it before but it made me think how much potential this machine had. And all those losers out there were to dumb to see it.
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:45 pm

Plus the fact it was so innovative. Built in modem, cool VMUs, and awesome games. There's a lot of DC experimenting going on still. It was too ahead of its time...
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:07 pm

I still hold my controller and think wow what a great console.
I still remember Looking at thehype in magazines and wanting a DC so bad and I looked in the Shenmue Previews and was astounded by it...just everything was in the name it was Broadcast in my Dreams....Dreamcast.
It is still the first Set top Sega Console I ever owned and Still own.
When I play it somehow these now Dated graphics still impress me on the DC..can't explain why.
I always Ranked my SNES as the Solo king of my Fave Consoles Until I got my Dreamcast now they are tied.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:42 pm

I was playing Sonic Adventure today, and was pretty impressed by the graphics. I looked to the distance in the Mystic Ruins and saw a really cool sunset that still looked beautiful. And the Hi-res cut scenes in some games on DC are comparable with today's games.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:35 pm

Man, just imagine what the graphics would look like if the DC was still alive and kicking today. The PS2 is just slightly more powerful than the DC (its launch titles had graphics like DC games) but look at the graphics on games such as GT4 and MGS3.

And no doubt we will probably be playing SIII now, or at least know if its going to be released if the DC was still alive.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:41 pm

Well the Dreamcast does experience some notable slowdown, plus the damn thing is noisy as hell. I think we are overextimating the machine, but the VMU was a great Idea, that is one thing which made dreamcast superior.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Daemos » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:11 pm

Master_Congo wrote:plus the damn thing is noisy as hell.

I learned to enjoy the noise. I've played Shenmue so many times on it I know exactly the patterns of the sounds on most loading screens... (mainly Yamanose/Sakuragaoka/Dobuita, everything else varies too much)

Plus, when you can hear the drive, it makes troubleshooting easier. I thank god computer disc drives (DVD/CD) are still noisy. :P Speaking of which, my DVD drive is screwing up... cleaning time I guess...
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby asnozz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:34 am

Earthworm Jim wrote:I was just thinking today the same thing. I walked into a shop in sham shui po and saw an dreamcast and tv combo. it had a web cam and mic, the dc built into the tv and a keyboard at the bottom. I took some pics on my mobile but can't post them. I'd never seen it before but it made me think how much potential this machine had. And all those losers out there were to dumb to see it.

thats the divers Dreamcast :shock: incredibly rare.....now do you want to buy that for me 8)
asnozz
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: asnozz
XBL: asnozz360
Steam: asnozz

Postby ys » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:45 pm

It's the same here, whenever I start my Dreamcast it's something special. Even the DC intro screen and sounds are great I think. I made that sound my startup sound in windows too, hehe.
The other consoles I have don't feel special, I can't really explain why though. And it's a shame that people just buy hype. Now the media is doing the same thing again, Sony's handheld gets praised already by some journalists without them having a clue about how it will turn out exactly!

And we're not overestimating it at all I think. It has great features inside that for example PS2 doesn't have. But it doesn't really get credited for that by the masses. And noisy...ok, you may think so congo. But itt doesn't disturb me at all actually. I've never thought about it while playing.And every console has disadvantages. Some may find the Xbox too big. Or me for example, I think the PS2 takes a long time to start games for example.
It also annoys me that Sega has had a cam for the DC and maracas, microphone, fishing rod (!), online capabilities etc. But who cared? And now that the PS2 finally is online, people are like : waw! how great!
Too bad it had been done years before actually, just as all the other cool features...
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:01 pm

It was called Dreamcast for a reason.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby QWERTY » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:26 pm

It didn't do well because SEGA are crap at marketing.Simple.
Also,Sony completely fucked them over by announcing the specs of PS2 and generating the buzz around the machine.Sods.
I will agree with you that it was a great machine,with some real classic games,but the control pad felt cheap and got a bit uncomfortable after a good gaming session.
Another gripe I have with it,is the fact that they break too quickly/easily.I used to work at Toys R Us,the amount of Dreamcast's that we had returned was a joke.I know from first hand experience what it is like to have one knacker out on you.I got my Gamecube when it launched,so the DC didn't get much of a look in for a while,but when I decided to have a whirl on it again,guess what?
It won't read Shenmue!
Argggggghhhhhhh!!!!!

I'm going to have to fork out for a new one (I know it won't be much,but that's not the point).Whereas my Saturn still works after all this time.
It just feels that the Dreamcast is a little cheaper than the Saturn/PlayStation/N64 etc.

QWERTY has received a thanks from: TEEPO™
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:25 pm

Minutes after I made that last post I found out I have to get my 4th DC in 2 years.

yay!! :x
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby QWERTY » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:26 pm

BLUECAST wrote:Minutes after I made that last post I found out I have to get my 4th DC in 2 years.

yay!! :x

I rest my case.

QWERTY has received a thanks from: TEEPO™
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby paulus » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:44 pm

I bought my DC 1,5years ago.
Just because of Shenmue.

If i knew that the DC is so good, i bought it before.
Now i can't get controller, dancing mat, VMU's,...

Shenmue alone uses the half VMU...
paulus
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Next

Return to General Gaming