Favorite female characters in videogames

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Favorite female characters in videogames

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:55 am

I'm sure this topic has been done here before, but probably not for a while...I searched the first few pages here and didn't find one. (Maybe I should've used the search function, but whatever, stfu)

Anyways, I got the idea from the "favorite female fronted band" topic in the music forum.

My favorite female character would have to be "The Boss" from MGS3. She's such a strong character that sticks to her convictions no matter what. She's both a hardened soldier that you feel respect for (I mean, shit, she's considered the GREATEST SOLDIER IN THE WORLD), yet at the same time is one of the most sympathetic characters I've ever seen in a videogame. Maybe more of her background with Snake could have been fleshed out in MGS3 but ultimately you understand her significance in the whole picture of the MGS universe. What I like about her too is that she's not the typical stupid bimbo girl, or the "tee hee hee I'm cute and japanese and all the little boys have fantasies about me and my eyes look like this ^_^ LOL". I'll mention more specific details as spoilers, though I'm sure if you're an MGS fan you've played MGS3 by now:

(mgs 3 spoilers below)

[spoiler]The Boss had to cope with the loss of her son (Well, we all know who this is now...Ocelot OMG) who was taken away by the patriots/philosphers. After going undercover, Volgin completely fucked up her mission by firing the Davey Crocket...which then changed her mission from stealing the philosophers legacy, to die by the hands of Snake to avoid a nuclear conflict with the Soviet Union. She accepts this mission, as she embodies the "ultimate soldier" mythos in the truest form created by the MGS universe. Her mission is to be killed by the hands of her greatest disciple (there's another word I'm thinking instead of "disciple" but it's 3:30 and I can't think straight haha...maybe it IS the right word I'm thinking of), as well as be blamed for the nuclear explosion and be remembered as a traitor to America after her death, even though the truth is that she was a true patriot.

It was amazing hearing The Boss completely open up to Snake during their final battle, because she always came across as strong willed, and masterful at handling her emotions. Telling Snake the emotional pain she went through and seeing a tear run down her face, all due to her duty as a soldier, was just incredible. Then the later revelation about the true nature of her mission was just icing on the cake. I couldn't believe how deep this character went...not only is she one of my favorite female characters, but one of my favorite characters in general.

Not just the character, but the placement in the MGS story is incredible too. Basically, the final battle between Snake and The Boss, Eva's confession to Snake, and Snake being awarded the "Big Boss" title all led to the time where Big Boss turned against America, and turned against fighting for someone else's agenda. It was mostly the fact that America easily disposed of one of their most important and beloved soldiers in their history, and also reviled her name after her death. Even though she saved America, she would always be remembered as a traitor and a terrorist, and those events would ultimately lead Big Boss to create Outer Heaven.[/spoiler]

My other favorite female character is probably gonna be mentioned by everyone, which is Xiuying from Shenmue II. I'll keep this brief because I'm sure everyone knows all the background, but I like her for the main reason's I like The Boss. Strong willed, a strong fighter, not a stereotypical bimbo type character....also a leader, a teacher, and a voice of reason. She also comes across as a sympathetic character because of Ziming, and being exposed to a moment of emotional vulnerability makes you connect with the character so much more.

Honorable mentions: Shenhua (It's tough because there really hasn't been alot of time she was in the series...this is why we need Shenmue III dammit!!!).

Millenia - Grandia II (Ok, she does kind of play into more of the bimbo-ish thing I was talking about, but she provides alot of comic relief and also doesn't fuck around.)

Bastila - KOTOR (I dunno, just an awesome character + hot british accent)
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby JoeMDesign » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:59 am

Kitana... but not Mileena...
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:31 pm

Bastila, yeah. Looks and sounds quite nice, but, also able to kick ass harder than the rest of your party most of the time in-game.

I agree with Xiuing as well.

Claire Redfield from RE2 and CV. She is just some young civ chick in RE2 trying to find her brother, but she is quite an asskicker in CV. Not too cold and businesslike like Jill Valentine either.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:59 pm

I say Jill kicks more ass than Claire. I dunno, actually.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby OL » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Eh... most female videogame characters are kind of lame. Whereas male characters can be very unique or varied, female characters usually fit into specific archetypes. And I'm not being sexist, I'm just speaking in terms of videogames. That's usually how it turns out.
I suppose the Boss from MGS3 is an exception, but while her backstory is definitely interesting, she's still not a very exciting personality.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:07 am

Characters like Jill, Rebecca, and Claire are pretty up there.

They're females that can look good and kick ass. And not in a skanky DOA kinda way.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby jinsaotomex3 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:38 am

Sun Shang Xiang and Seung Mina, need I say more?
jinsaotomex3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby fuku_san » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:17 pm

Jill Valentine RE
Shenhua Ling
Claire Redfield in RE code Veronica
Hey don´t forget Ine-san she is like a mother for Ryo
fuku_san
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mom

Postby OL » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:04 am

jinsaotomex3 wrote:Sun Shang Xiang and Seung Mina, need I say more?

Ummm... yes.
Who?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby jinsaotomex3 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:42 pm

Orange Lightning wrote:
jinsaotomex3 wrote:Sun Shang Xiang and Seung Mina, need I say more?

Ummm... yes.
Who?

Sun Shang Xiang - Sun Jian's daughter from the dynasty warriors series Wu Empire - Image

Seung Mina (seong mi-na?) - Soul Blade/Calibur Series, the one and only most kickass chick ever! - Image
jinsaotomex3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Visual Memory » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:51 am

Both of them seem to be of the lame kind which Orange described.

Great point Orange, I'm with you.
Visual Memory
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby jinsaotomex3 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:23 am

Actually I think it's the other way around with males, most video games use the normal main badass character that can take on anything regardless of the fact that the odds are against him in a stupidly retarded way.

Sun Shang Xiang's story is actually one of my favs in the DW series, since she gets to go all over the place, even marrying the leader of another kingdom while still managing to support her father's (regardless of the fact that they are enemies).

She is actually one of the stronger females in the serie, who actually has a very big role in the story she just isn't some wimpy female who's there for kicks, she along with her brother and co. fought in many intense battles leading many of them to victory. The fact that she married another general at HER choice says a lot. This is back when arranged marriages were still undergoing their way. A liberal in ancient china.

Seung Mina is just fucking overpowered...that's why I like her along with Nightmare!
jinsaotomex3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby EWJ » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:45 pm

The Top Ten Women of Gaming, by Gamtrailers.com.

A fair enough list, no Resi girls or Jade from BGAE in there though but it does include Joanna Dark and Eva. Daphne is also a good one i never would have thought of. here's the list;

10. Zoe (SSX)
9. Joanna Dark (Perfect dark)
8. Rayne (BloodRayne)
7. Christie & DOA girls (DOA)
6. Eva (MGS3)
5. Chun Li (Street Fighter)
4. Daphne (Dragon's lair)
3. Alex vance (Half Life)
2. Lara Croft (Tomb raider)
1. Samus Aron (metroid)

I really though Mrs Pac-Man would have clitched it........oh well!
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Neo Matrix » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:12 pm

I would guess that list is more of a "Most Iconic Human Female" list though... which suggests main characters.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Dragnoix » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 am

Orange Lightning wrote:Eh... most female videogame characters are kind of lame. Whereas male characters can be very unique or varied, female characters usually fit into specific archetypes. And I'm not being sexist, I'm just speaking in terms of videogames. That's usually how it turns out.
I suppose the Boss from MGS3 is an exception, but while her backstory is definitely interesting, she's still not a very exciting personality.

Well, maybe that's because most of the female characters in videogames are designed by MEN, and not women.

Men who put 100% into making a male character as unique as possible.
Whereas with the female character he just figures she has to have a nice body with over-sized boobs.

So your theory is a little unfair.
Dragnoix
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to General Gaming