The Fable Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Fable Series

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:26 am

Sonikku wrote:I beat the first 2, played through the demo of the third. Everything I've heard of Fable 3 is that you absolutely must wait until you've acquired a massive fortune before beating the game or it will kill your prospects of doing anything in the after game. Also they apparently don't give you any warning in advance so you have to know ahead of time to get the most out of the game. The common strategy I've heard is of buying up all the properties, charging rent, than rubber banding the analog stick and letting your machine run over night, otherwise players are unlikely to have enough gold, even if they were evil bastards shaking people down throughout the game. :P

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to buy 3 myself, even seeing the blitz coming in advance. I have GTA 4, Fallout 3 and Kameo still in the shrink wrap with hardly 3 hours into FF13 and possibly mass effect 3 on the way. I've also hardly begun to get the extras in sonic generations... the queue continues to fill. :sad:

If you want the main good ending yes you have to waste a lot of time buying everything up to get the money or you just get someone with shit loads to send you the money as a gift over live like i did for my nephew.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Sonikku » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:10 am

I think it's silly that days or months can sweep by in a flash, yet for all the money you need in the end all your tenants seem to get out of paying rent for all that time and end up dying because of it. Idiots. Hand me all your money fools! It's in your own best interests. :mad:

If I do plunge into 3, it will only be to corrupt the beautiful princess into a fat assed evil psycho bitch with scary clown face tattoo's to freak the children out with.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:20 am

http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2012 ... id=6364912

No one else see this? Molyneux quit Microsoft and Lionhead to go elsewhere. I am not disapointed with this move, hopefully he can create something original again, instead of being forced to work on Fable, dont think he has worked on anything else since Fable became such a big hit.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:27 am

Mentioned it in the gaming thoughts topic but Dorian went Dorian on it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:42 pm

If the demo is anything to go buy this will be dull but its a demo so i wont totally right it off because whats in it works

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upvb5iQ3PK0[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:46 pm

It's a shame too, coz it could've been so much more. I know the series on a whole gets a lot of shit for getting worse and worse, but I enjoyed every installment (although I reckon the Heroes demo was a little dull, so I skipped it)

Fable III got way too much shit, and whilst it is the weakest of the mains series, it isn't as bad as peeps make out. They go on and on about not being able to die too, but nowadays there's so little consequence for dying in games that I don't blame them for removing it. Death has become more of an annoyance than a consequence, so kudos to Lionhead for noticing this.

And I don't care what anyone says, Fable II may have been short, but it was a hell of a lot better than the first.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Its not that you cant die more than the AI holds no threat what so ever. I got the don't get knocked out achievement without even knowing it existed

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj1PSLCNyi0[/youtube]

I also find the combat to be lame now[Magic just plan sucks] and it has a serious lack of boss fights and large creatures. Despite all the shit it got Fable 1 is still the best game overall but 2 had the better world. Its just a shame it was filled with so many bugs all of which carried over to III.
And III's story was a bad joke and the much hyped King/Queen part simply came down to press X or B and if you wanted to get the 'best' ending you had to waste 10 odd hours buying everything and waiting for the rent money to get you a million or what ever it was?

Fable 1 had the better combat, bosses/creatures, characters and story and yeah Heroes is bad. Its 400MSP at the moment but even that cant make me interested in it.

The series needs a new engine and some new creative minds[it will have to seeing as the original makers have also left Lionhead] and a few years rest.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Nah, I reckon peeps are too harsh when it comes to Fable. They moan about what it should be rather than appreciating what it is... just a simplistic game to run through. I like challenging games, love my stealth shit, but sometimes I just wanna hack n slash through hordes with a little RPG element to it and a decent enough story. The Fable series has never set the industry alight, but it's enjoyable enough for me to like it, and that's all that matters really. If I wanted more in-depth gameplay, I'd play another game.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Kenny
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:10 pm

The original Fable was not hard but it was balanced. III is just too dumbed down for its own good IMO and i didn't enjoy the story one bit. I also want to be able to leave the dog at home and simply explore on my own.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:30 pm

I dunno, I mean I obviously see why people are highly critical of it, as the potential of the series was huge. It does plenty of things that others don't, and it is kinda disappointing that these features have essentially gone to waste, but Fable was never really meant to be a "hardcore" game, and neither were it's sequels.

I'd be more understanding if we're talking about Fable VI, and the preceding games were hugely in-depth, had epic stories, and more features than you can keep up with, but this just isn't the case. At the end of the day, each game feels enough like a Fable game to be familiar, but different enough that you don't feel like it's the Ezio trilogy where you're just adding new skins and textures with one or two new features.

At the end of the day, it's extremely difficult for developers to please gamers when it comes to sequels, which is why I'm a huge fan of legit DLC (not content-locked shit, I mean actual post-development add-ons), as you keep the same game you loved, whilst expanding on it. Sequels should be sequels, not "part 2, 3, 4, etc.", and this is something that, for all it's "dumbing down" Lionhead have achieved with the Fable series. It may not be something that people like, but it's something that should be respected at the very least, imo.

Then again, I've been bitching about Conviction since it came out, so I'm just the Dojo's biggest hypocrite.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:35 pm

I played Fable 1 on xbox for the first time back in 2010 and I was blown away by that game. I love the battle system in that game so much, and the world was beautiful. I want to play Fable II and III so bad, I was initially waiting to get my gaming PC built, but found out not too long ago Fable 2 isnt on PC, which pissed me right off, especially seeing how Fable 1 and 3 are. but its ok, i guess i'll just play them all on xbox, thats what i played the first one on anyway. When ever i get around to buying one, or hell maybe ill just emulate on my PC when I get it, who knows.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBb7XvCJ_T4[/youtube]

Lame actors, why do publishers still do this? If anything it hurts the product more than help.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:07 am

"We play a lot of Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Skyrim, Fable... Yeah, I have a problem."

How unintentionally ironic...

Gaming became so fucking lame. I seriously hate what has happened to it. It's the same as good music being eaten alive by MTV in the 90s and mutating into Biebier over the years.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby mrslig100 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:57 pm

I didn't like fable one. I didn't like fable two. I didn't like fable three. Nuff said :P
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Nah, I reckon peeps are too harsh when it comes to Fable. They moan about what it should be rather than appreciating what it is... just a simplistic game to run through. I like challenging games, love my stealth shit, but sometimes I just wanna hack n slash through hordes with a little RPG element to it and a decent enough story. The Fable series has never set the industry alight, but it's enjoyable enough for me to like it, and that's all that matters really. If I wanted more in-depth gameplay, I'd play another game.

Totally. I think it's more of a case of judging art by its artist rather than the actual art itself.

Fable is not the greatest thing I ever played but I really enjoyed the original and thought the second was good. With all its flaws and limitations. If I listened to Peter Molynemaosdfjbdsfjhbds and took every single thing he said seriously, then i'd probably be on the hate or dislike bandwagon too cause it doesn't deliver on those promises. But on its own, I think its fine.

Kenny has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming