Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby OL » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:39 pm

NeoShredder wrote:The effects of light and shadow ala Splinter Cell STILL haven't been incorperated. I think with the real time shadow system it would work.

I just want to say, Thief did it before Splinter Cell.
I hate when Thief doesn't get the attention it deserves.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:46 pm

For me personally, MGS3 comes first. MGS2 very close actually together with MGS. I actually prefer one game or the other depending on my mood. Since they all feel slightly different story- and gameplay wise.

I also think this game might be the first really next generation game. Kojima made a big deal after all of not just having better graphics and sound. He wanted to use extra power for other things, unlike many others.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby FRASIER » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:32 am

anyone seen the gameplay video yet, looks awsome, especially where your camo changes to your surroundings automatically, cant wait until the announcement for MGS 4 360 comes! because it is you know
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Clint » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:47 am

^I stand by my opinion that MGS4 and FFXIII will not appear on any other console.

Someone prove me wrong when it happens.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Ro Shen » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:23 pm

Watched the gameplay video probably 20 god deam times and i agree with orange every thing he had to say about MGS. The game is going to be AWESOME PERIODE !!!!!
Ro Shen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ys » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:22 pm

Has anyone else seen the new trailer with the boss team? I wonder what you guys think. It's definitely different. It made me a bit more interested compared to the last trailer.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/vids_1.html

Edit : Apparently Eva should also be back.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/7140 ... 22492.html

I like that design and the fact that they're having an elder woman with some "balls" in a series :P It's a bit different for a change. Having her there might even mean that Big Boss is returning. He should be dead, but...well....we're talking about MGS ;)
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:48 pm

Um, no thanks. I want Big Boss to remain dead. They've only brought back Grey Fox and Liquid Snake (worst thing Kojima could have ever done). The rest stayed dead. I say good.

The Beauty and the Beast look amazing. I look forward to their past stories, since it was confirmed they were getting one in an interview with Kojima. Thank God. We don't need another Cobra Unit...so underdeveloped. I like that Kojima is emphasising the tragedy, for this unit. I like my tragedy. Especially from Kojima, he does it well.

Eva was a major shock though, a good one at that. Perhaps she is the mother of the Snakes, since the cloning was done using a woman, unnamed who...it would make sense. Eva is obviously coming back for a reason, what that reason is, we may yet find out. The interaction between Ocelot (when he regains conciousness) and Eva will be great to see also. Wonder if they'll even recognise one another or not?

With such an extensive cast list, I'm guessing there shall be some tears this time around, as I am guessing since this is the last adventure with Solid Snake, a lot of dead characters this time, which will make things very intense and suspenseful (who's to go, next will be a continuous question throughout, I am guessing).

It's looking fucking good, and my hype level is getting bigger and bigger every time I hear more about it. Phew.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Milky Joe » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:02 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
The Beauty and the Beast look amazing. I look forward to their past stories, since it was confirmed they were getting one in an interview with Kojima. Thank God. We don't need another Cobra unit

Ugh I know what you mean, especially Volgin, he pissed me off the most. The only thing I came up is that he got raped by a Rhino that was struck by lighting. I dunno.....

Its coming out for the 360, any one who denies it can suck my balls.
Milky Joe
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Rukawa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:11 pm

The new bosses looks ridiculous, they look from as if they were form ZOE! :evil:
Rukawa

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Think of it like this: MGS4 is set in a digital age. Kojima, Shinkawa and Murata (director of ZOE2) are all directing. All three have worked on sci-fi titles and are wanting to express that with this game. MGS is getting further and further into the sci-fi genre. MGS has always been a cyberpunk tale anyway, so it doesn't annoy me in the least.

ZOE, Policenauts and Snatcher have all been referenced by the use of one of their characters, MGS4 is really looking like the title where Kojima is looking back on his catalogue of games and adding characters from all the games.

Just so you know what I mean, Meryl's Foxhound squad comprises of members from Policenauts (the Beyond Coast cops; Jonathan (mohawk guy), Ed (heard in latest trailer talking to Snake about the new unit), Dave (guy with mask on) and herself, Meryl). Snatcher's Metal Gear is also the latest technology Otacon has used to contact Snake. ZOE's influence is obvious with the Beauty and the Beast unit.

Seems like MGS4 comprises of new and old characters from all their franchises. Which is fucking great, I love that!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Milky Joe » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Well metal gear was in Snatcher, Kojima takes characters from his older games and finds a way to interpret them into his new ones. Look at MGS 2, the Metal Gear in that looked like it could be from ZOE as well.
Milky Joe
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Milky Joe » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:34 pm

Damn Spence you posted that the second I started typing.
Milky Joe
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Aye. (EDIT: LOL)

Cunningham's name was used from Snatcher in Metal Gear Portable Ops as well...
Gatse Becker's look from Policenauts was in MGS1 as Jim Houseman...
Peter Stillman was originally going to be called Ed Brown, the second main protagonist from Policenauts.
ZOE1 had the Extravehicular Mobility Police Suit, the mecha used by the BCP (Beyond Coast Police) in Policenauts featured only in the opening sequences, being blown up by the other mechas.

Tons more too, very subtle they are.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:47 pm

As honestly awesome as that Beauty and the Beast cutscene was...

...the antagonists look pretty stupid. You can tell Kojima is really running out of ideas here. And Grey Fox is coming back? Please tell me you were horribly misinformed or Kojima is just fucking with us. You really don't need to have every character from the series back. Bringing back Liquid was pretty bad enough. Raiden is a suitable enough replacement, Fox should only be referenced.

But at least the tension and style of the scene made the whole thing less ridiculous than it really was. Honestly, the choreography never gets any less cooler.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:52 pm

Oh no, no, no. Fox isn't coming back, I was just arguing enough is enough, and that Gray Fox and Liquid coming back at all in the MG series was all I wanted. We don't need anymore characters back from the hdead (many a time I've heard fans moan for Big Boss and Solidus...dear God).

Liquid coming back was just wrong, especially in an arm for Chrissakes. And no, I shall never get over that stupid 'twist' if you think it qualifies as that, even.

I agree, the style the unit were introduced in looks great. And as for the look of the characters, since Yoji Shinkawa is supposedly directing alongside Kojima and Murata now, I'd say those mecha style choices were his choices, since he is the one who the mecha nut!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming