Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:56 am

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/show_news.php?id=1230

Holy fucking hell! Cult director Shinya Tsukamoto will be voicing Vamp in the Japanese version and Eva returns! :shock:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Hazuki Legend » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:51 am

This really doesn have the potential to be the greatest game ever. I hope it lives up to the hype.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Postby oliv3r » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:18 am

I'm going slightly off-topic here, but did anyone else feel that MGS3 really didn't live up to its prequels? MGS2 had an incredible storyline - personally, I think that it is as good as Shenmue's :shock: . I thought that it was deeper than most films (other than, perhaps, The Matrix).

I was really looking forward to MGS3, but once it was released, the story felt really "watered-down". The only part that I truly enjoyed was the ending, but there weren't nearly as many twists as in MGS2. Remember the part where you entered Arsenal Gear, and the virus had started affecting the GW AI, and everything got messed up? That was probably the most immersing section of a game I've ever played! You had no idea what was happening and (forgive the cliche) you really couldn't put the controller down. MGS3, on the other hand, just didn't have such immersion in my opinion, yet magazines rated it as "the best MGS yet" and gave it amazing reviews.

Was anybody else disappointed?
oliv3r
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Ziming » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Last edited by Ziming on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:50 pm

oliv3r wrote:I'm going slightly off-topic here, but did anyone else feel that MGS3 really didn't live up to its prequels? MGS2 had an incredible storyline - personally, I think that it is as good as Shenmue's :shock: . I thought that it was deeper than most films (other than, perhaps, The Matrix).

I was really looking forward to MGS3, but once it was released, the story felt really "watered-down". The only part that I truly enjoyed was the ending, but there weren't nearly as many twists as in MGS2. Remember the part where you entered Arsenal Gear, and the virus had started affecting the GW AI, and everything got messed up? That was probably the most immersing section of a game I've ever played! You had no idea what was happening and (forgive the cliche) you really couldn't put the controller down. MGS3, on the other hand, just didn't have such immersion in my opinion, yet magazines rated it as "the best MGS yet" and gave it amazing reviews.

No. MGS3 was the best of them all. It doesn't matter that there were fewer twists in it. As far as story goes, it was much more solid and cohesive than MGS2, and it was far more emotionally affecting. And the gameplay was much better as well.

And trust me, you're in the minority when it comes to people who loved MGS2's story. I loved it, personally, but most people hated the surreality that takes place at the end.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby NeoShredder » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:02 pm

NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby oliv3r » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:24 pm

Orange Lightning wrote:
oliv3r wrote:I'm going slightly off-topic here, but did anyone else feel that MGS3 really didn't live up to its prequels? MGS2 had an incredible storyline - personally, I think that it is as good as Shenmue's :shock: . I thought that it was deeper than most films (other than, perhaps, The Matrix).

No. MGS3 was the best of them all. It doesn't matter that there were fewer twists in it. As far as story goes, it was much more solid and cohesive than MGS2, and it was far more emotionally affecting. And the gameplay was much better as well.

And trust me, you're in the minority when it comes to people who loved MGS2's story. I loved it, personally, but most people hated the surreality that takes place at the end.

That's interesting. After reading your post, I checked some reviews, and you're right - everyone else seemed to hate the storyline, but I still disagree :P . I didn't like the MGS3 storyline - it just seemed too simple. I like playing games repeatedly and only fully understanding everything after 2 or 3 plays. In Snake Eater, I didn't like the gameplay additions - although the online mode in Subsistence was great, I thought that the additions to the single player mode were poor. I never cured myself except at the end of the Virtuous mission when you have to, and, in my opinion, changing camoflage was tedious and just got in the way. The camoflage index made it too easy: I thought that it would have been better if you didn't get the camoflage index figure, as you would feel more anxious as you wouldn't know if they'd find you or not. But I did hate Raiden :D!
oliv3r

Postby OL » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:30 pm

NeoShredder wrote:http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22703.html

WOW.

And I don't mean "World of Warcraft".
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Clint » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:36 pm

I agree with Orange. MGS3 is the best of the lot.

Although one can't ignore the importance of Metal Gear Solid for the PSX.

Hideo was up his own arse in MGS2, the ending was a shambles.

I don't like the idea of bringing almost every character back in MGS4 either. I don't mind:

Snake (obviously)
Raiden
Cambell
Naomi
Ocelot/Liquid
Otacon

Everyone else should fuck off. I want to see some fresh faces, and Snake should have a different girl for each game he's in. Much like James Bond.

It could be the best game of its kind. I just hope Hideo doesn't fuck it all up like he did with MGS2.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby OL » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Based on that gameplay video, even if the story is shit (which is unlikely), it'll still be the best actual game in the lot. The gameplay looks fucking amazing. They've thought of everything. You can even flip through the girly magazines this time. And the part where he dodges enemy fire from behind, then rolls over to take out the guys on the building is fucking cool. That's the kind of thing that a few years ago, you might see it in a cutscene and wish you could do that.
I know this has been said by a lot of people about a lot of (undeserving) games, but this is the first real next-gen game I've seen.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Absolutely. It's the kind of game I've wanted to play my whole life. Best looking gameplay by a long shot, nothing else compares even slightly now after I've seen that.

If this is going to be Solid Snake's last adventure before all of the spin offs (that shall be nowhere near the quality of previous MG games) and the last MG game Kojima will do, then there isn't a finer looking game that they could end it on.

I'm bloody excited, and it's the only actual next gen game I'd say I'm really excited about, I'm excited for Alan Wake, sure, but not, you know, really excited about, like I am with this! Never been this excited for a new game since Shenmue II or MGS2. And believe me, that is saying a lot coming from me, since I ain't much of a gamer anymore. This is going to be just great.
Last edited by Henry Spencer on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Atlantean » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:27 pm

NeoShredder wrote:http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22703.html

Hummm, the graphics are WOW, and the gameplay seems to be just as good, but some elements bothered me. If this is supposed to be somewhat realistic when it comes to espionage, how come enemies don't turn around when you're rolling inside a drum can? How come they don't hear your echoing footsteps right behind them? That confused me a bit.

Otherwise, the attention to detail is pretty amazing. Jaw-dropping indeed.

Also, the narrator sounded like a pervert when viewing that magazine.
Last edited by Atlantean on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantean
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: Lantean
Currently playing: Steam Wallet Drain Game

Postby NeoShredder » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:40 pm

I'm only dissapointed on four things:

The level of awareness Atlentean mentioned. That sniper rifle was fucking LOUD, and no-one noticed.

The old reused animations.

The effects of light and shadow ala Splinter Cell STILL haven't been incorperated. I think with the real time shadow system it would work.

And what the hell is with hiding on the floor with an invisibilty octocamo suit? You can still make out Snake's streching shadows, that definatly would not work.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Satoshi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:03 am

I love the look of the new FPS mode. It looks so much more accessible than in the other games. Not to mention the over-the-shoulder looks class. :P
Satoshi
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:34 am

Well, since their still tweaking things, with like six months left, I'm sure they'll get round to things like sound and lighting. They're more bothered about actual gameplay, than they are tidbits like that, so far.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming