Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear series

Postby OL » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:31 am

Nothing about that statement makes any sense, considering that, as we've been saying, each game offers a new take on the series and paves new ground for it in one way or another. Something can't be old and tired if it's always changing, adapting, and presenting new ideas.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 am

MGS just keeps retreading the same ground just like Mario & Zelda. Some will always love it but it get's boring and tiresome after a while. Just more of the same characters continuing the same over convoluted half assed written story line. Imean what can they add now? Nano Nano Mirco super extra small machines and more patriots? It's almost like Link in that each snake is snake but not just to have an excuse to make another one.
I really await MGR as it's the only true fresh thing to come to the MG series since MGS in 1997.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:05 am

...Aaaaand here we go with bashing games we haven't actually played through.
I'm talking about mechanics and gameplay. The story is convoluted as hell, obviously, but the games always present new things to do and new ways to play. MGS3 probably most of all, with its use of the camofluage index (completely changed the dynamics of the stealth gameplay), CQC, and hunting system. MGS2 to a slightly lesser extent, with its inclusion of the first-person viewpoint and advances in the cover system. MGS4 with all of its new bells and whistles to play around with, and a completely new control scheme to adapt to all the advances in shooters and stealth that had occurred in videogames since MGS3.

And as much as I'm looking forward to it, Revengeance is no more "fresh" than anything else I've mentioned with the rest of the MGS series. It's set to be a third-person slasher. A "stylish action game", for all intents and purposes. That's nothing new at all.
The focused slashing mechanic is certainly fresh and cool, but only to the extent that the camofluage system was when it came along, or the cover system in MGS2.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:23 am

And every Mario game adds a new power up suit. Still the overall experience is the same.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:37 am

Not even close to the same thing.
None of the main MGS games present the same experience (with the exception of MGS2, where it's actually intentional). They're all completely different games that all satisfy a different kind of itch.
It's like saying FFXII is the same experience as FFVIII, with some minor additions. And we both know that's completely not the case.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 am

Except Final Fantasy is not a sequel to the last game. It's 100% unrelated. MGS uses the same characters and story each and every one. Nano Machines and whatever save the princess get the triforce.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:56 am

Going around in circles here, but the story elements are a non-issue, since I was talking about gameplay.
And for that matter, MGR involves the story from the MGS series, so I don't really see how it's some kind of step up in that regard.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:58 am

True. I guess I'm just looking more towards hacking shit up than sneaking around.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Tuffty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:50 am

It's been mentioned before but I think it's ridiculous to condemn a game before you've seen it. I don't mind if it's Big Boss/Snake or whoever. But then it kinda has to be right? If you have anyone else as the protaganist then I can already hear the fanboys crying about it.

To me, the initial tweets talking about it is enough reason to get me interested, I'm curious to see how good it looks myself. What also gives me reason to be hyped is that Kojima stated, a few months ago, that Deus Ex : Human Revolution gave him inspiration behind making this game. Who knows how far he would be willing to take that inspiration but hypothetically, what about an open world hub game where BB can interact with NPC's and have the story dictated by your decisions? That sounds cool to me.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:18 am

It would be cool, but again, we're assuming too much from the game, let's wait and see what is presented, since, so far, "killing a guy in a jeep" is very little info to go on. People are getting hyped on Twitter over nothing.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Sorry to double post, but well, a conference for 25th anniversary event for Metal Gear at PAX is currently happening and everybody has just seen the trailer, they're all hyped through the roof saying it's like "seeing MGS2 for the first time again".

During the conference Kojima said that with this game he "wants to make a more MGS1 feel". Oh yes, please.

UPDATE: First screenshot:

Big Boss

15 minute gameplay footage incoming on IGN:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/01/p ... s-gameplay
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Henry, it will be officially uploaded to YT on 3pm PST today. Kojima tweeted about it some 10 hours ago. The shots shown so far look like crap to me. Not technically, mind you. That part is pretty amazing. I mean the art direction.

EDIT: Konami has just told its followers that Ground Zeroes is a prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5.

OK, I'm through with Kojima, and here I was believing he would actually not make that dickmove and stop with continuing that broken story.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IVOs5Pxh8[/youtube]

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:19 pm

^Nothing they say and do in that video makes sense when you put your mind to it, but the graphics do look beyond anything out there. That new David Cage movie pretending to be a game looks like crap compared to this. Hard to believe it will be out on X360 and PS3 with this kind of graphics.

I'm really sad this is a MGS game because that guarantees it will be a senseless cut-scenes bonanza with fan-catering of the worst kind. I wish Koji Pro would just make the graphics nowadays.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Yup, game looks amazing, now I know what people meant by saying "it's like MGS2 all over again". The rain, atmosphere, mystery going on in the trailer (I know who Paz and Chico are though, you have to play Peace Walker to find that out), fantastic. The villain looks incredibly creepy!

Shame the gameplay lasted 30 seconds though...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming