Final Fantasy

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby [mYLES] » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:11 am

Just remember boys and girls, it's a computer simulated figure made by japanese men, not a real woman.
[mYLES]
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby jon-500 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:56 am

Just replying to the australian accent. Different parts of Australia have different sounding accents. Im Australian and she does sound Aussie to me. Not everyone sounds like Steve Irwin or crocodile dundee. Ive lived here all my life and dont have an accent.
jon-500
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:46 am

What region in Australia do they mish-mash accents?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Clint » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Yeah that chocobo theme is absolutely awful.

Some of the music in the game is well below average, IMO. I like the battle theme and the boss theme, but everything else is totally totally forgettable. Some of the singing just ruins the experience.

Final Fantasy is missing the genius of Uematsu.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby OL » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 pm

I actually think most of the music is a little more complex than many of Uematsu's works, and thus a bit less catchy.
Uemtsu was great at the catchy, immediately memorable stuff. And that's fine. I agree, he's a genius.
But Hamauzu's work (the orchestral stuff, at least) is more complex, and a bit more sweeping than Uematsu's stuff. Memorability isn't the only plus that can be attributed to music, you know.
And I personally don't mind most of the stuff with lyrics. The music that played during the Snow flashback on the beach of Bodhum, for example, is beautiful, and made that scene even better, I think.

Also, I think calling the music in FFXIII "well below average" is incredibly unfair. It's all far, far better than most videogame music out there. Whether it's better than most FF music is debatable, but it's at the very least better than most games of the same genre (or film scores, for that matter).
Last edited by OL on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:11 pm

Maybe just me but I would like to see Mitsuda work on FF games.
As many know he did Chrono series and Xeno series and to my surprise did the mario Party games on N64(when that series wasn't shit and did have some fun but very enjoyable tunes)
I adore his music when ever he does anything really.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:19 pm

I think he may have worked on that game Sands of Destruction for DS. Lot of former Xenogears devs on that one, apparently.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Clint » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:06 am

OL wrote:I actually think most of the music is a little more complex than many of Uematsu's works, and thus a bit less catchy.
Uemtsu was great at the catchy, immediately memorable stuff. And that's fine. I agree, he's a genius.
But Hamauzu's work (the orchestral stuff, at least) is more complex, and a bit more sweeping than Uematsu's stuff. Memorability isn't the only plus that can be attributed to music, you know.
And I personally don't mind most of the stuff with lyrics. The music that played during the Snow flashback on the beach of Bodhum, for example, is beautiful, and made that scene even better, I think.

Also, I think calling the music in FFXIII "well below average" is incredibly unfair. It's all far, far better than most videogame music out there. Whether it's better than most FF music is debatable, but it's at the very least better than most games of the same genre (or film scores, for that matter).

I don't think i'm being too unfair to be honest.

It's not like I go out of my way to intentionally discredit a video game. You seem to be picking up a habit in this thread of jumping to FFXIII's defense at every opportunity. Trust me pal, I am really enjoyng FFXIII thus far, but it's within my nature to be honest with myself and point out the flaws whenever possible. And for me, the music is one of them.

Like I said, the battle and boss themes are really good. But it seems to follow the same tradition as FFXII, with top-notch battle music and forgettable town/dungeon/map themes.

It's almost as if they are trying too hard to make memorable music, but somehow get lost in creating something catchy and technical. And it is quite technical for the most part. Uematsu was able to make an instant classic in almost any area possible. The Landing from FFVIII, One Winged Angel from FFVII, Rachel's Theme and a handful of others from FFVI. He was simply put - too good at what he did. And perhaps set the bar a bit too high for the new generation of FF and RPG music.

But FFXIII balance has been off in this aspect. Pretty much every song i've heard with vocals has been awful. It's not all as bad as that Chocobo theme, but it just doesn't mix together well at all.

Maybe i'm a bit too critical at times. Fuck it.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby OL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 am

Clint wrote:You seem to be picking up a habit in this thread of jumping to FFXIII's defense at every opportunity.

Only when i genuinely disagree with a complaint leveled against it. I bashed the chocobo song pretty hard, didn't I? And there are a few more "minuses" I'll have to say when I actually review the game after I beat it. So I'm not just blindly defending it as you're implying.
I'm just pointing out that while it is lacking the immediate memorability of Uematsu's "jingle-style" work, that doesn't take all merit away from it. Calling it "well below average" is awfully harsh in my eyes since, when making a complaint like that, you're implying that the game actually has worse music in comparison to most videogames out there (the "average" majority), which is just blatantly not true. Most games settle for generic Hollywood-style tripe or a bunch of licensed modern shit, while FFXIII's music is lively, epic, well-composed, and in many cases very unique.
Now, I may have misunderstood, and maybe you're just saying it's average in comparison to other Final Fantasy music; as I said before, that's debatable, but for the most part I actually would agree. Uematsu is hard to top. But that still doesn't take all merit away from FFXIII's score, which is obviously very well-made, super-memorable or not. I mean, if being immediately memorable is the most important thing in music, wouldn't that also imply that most of this pop trash (your Brittany Spears or Lady Gaga, or some such other crap) that gets played on the radio is actually better than, lets say, some good old Led Zeppelin?
I think not.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Hmm I gotta agree with OL on this one, Im sorry but the music is simply wonderful and is enough alone to make me want to play this game, in fact I would go one further and say its the best music in FF that I have played. You can say that some tunes may not be as catchey but this is better actual music, and I love Uematsu's work but those songs do sound like really bitty computer game music compared to the ones on this soundtrack

Just listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NESNuSv ... 5&index=62
Last edited by mue 26 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:28 pm

^For me IX had the best music.

Well I'm on chapter 11 now and coming up to about 35 hours. Your see that when you get to chapter 11 the battles get alot harder and sometimes you have to be careful who you pick a fight with. It still doesn't have the FF feel but the part I'm on really reminds me of the temple's in FFX. But then agian this whole game has parts that remind me of X. All the characters are great still apart from Vanille and Lighting in particular has got alot better. The game is still very linear but isn't making me dislike it. My brother's main complaint has been there are to many cutscenes and he hates changing characters evrey five minutes. I think that was more to do with the start though since it is no where near a bad later in the game.

So how's evreyone else getting on? I think I'll be beating this for sure.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby mue 26 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:31 pm

whats your take on the story Riku? No spoilers please!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 pm

The orchestrated music is good. The main theme in particular is catchy.

He's no Uematsu though. That guy was something of a prodigy. Plus the new score sounds like it belongs more in an anime.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mue 26 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Yeah I can see your point about the whole anime thing but I still prefer it regardless,
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm loving it still. I'm at about the same point as Riku, wandering around on pulse, trying to level up enough to not get my ass kicked (a tip, by the way: Behemoth Kings give 4000 CP upon defeat, and they aren't that hard if you can get a preemptive strike on them with a commando, ravager, and synergist. Takes a whole 40 seconds, max. If you miss the preemptive strike though, they change forms, regain all their HP, and fuck your face off. Still, easiest way to build up CP that I've found so far).

My only gripe right now is that the characters have all lost personality and dimension ever since getting past their differences. They've all turned into the cliche "We can do it, guys!" kind of characters, which is strange, since they were all far more interesting when they weren't all buddy-buddy with eachother.
Oh well. We'll see how it pans out.
The actual story itself has gotten more interesting as it goes along, so I suppose it's an easy trade.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming