Final Fantasy

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:01 am

Bastard Yusuke wrote:
Clint wrote:
Bastard Yusuke wrote:The characters, story and atmosphere in X blow this one out of the water. X was linear in the sense that there aren't really mazes, but the map designs in this game are, for the most part, a straight fucking line. If it was just that, and they threw in some towns here and there, it wouldn't be so bad. But they don't. It's just fighting and going in a straight line. No variation. And that's just one of the huge problems I have with this game. The events is X were captivating, and left me wanting to find out more. In this one, they just throw you in the middle of some random conflict and expect you to care about what's going on.

I don't think towns is the main problem here. Let's be honest, do you really want to run around with that awful auto-talk on? It's a complete shambles. They should have kept to a system that worked, rather than one that doesn't work. Simple really. Good luck trying to engage in conversation with 1 NPC at a time.

Thankfully, this wasn't a big deal due to the lack of towns. But it was bad enough for 1 segment in the game. (Nautilus)

FFX is miles better from where i'm standing.

Like I said, it's just one of the huge problems I have. No NPCs, towns, horrendous lead characters, pacing, lack of any cool villains, upgrade system(like a really lame version of the one they had in X), cheesy writing, repetitive battles, and on top of all of that the story isn't even worth following. I'm still pretty early in, and now I'm hearing that it actually gets worse?!

Fuck that, and fuck this game. Come on, Riku, you can't seriously compare this garbage to X.

I'd say they are very much alike. No world map and X hardly had any towns. But when I play this I don't get a FF feeling but it reminds me alot of FFX. I have to agree that X is alot better but it's not like they are nothing alike.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Out of principle, i'll probably finish it soon.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Bastard Yusuke wrote:The characters, story and atmosphere in X blow this one out of the water. X was linear in the sense that there aren't really mazes, but the map designs in this game are, for the most part, a straight fucking line. If it was just that, and they threw in some towns here and there, it wouldn't be so bad. But they didn't. It's just fighting and going in a straight line. No variation. And that's just one of the huge problems I have with this game. The events is X were captivating, and left me wanting to find out more. In this one, they just throw you in the middle of some random conflict and expect you to care about what's going on.

I have to completely disagree with you there, I really didnt like 10 mainly because I think Tidus is the worst main character in the series(such an idiot) and despite what some people think To me 10 is miles more cheesy in terms of dialogue, also again a personal thing but while it started out with promise did 10s story line not just turn into gibberish? The end was decent though(still not the best in the series).

Anyway half the reason Im liking 13 so much is because I think that Lighining is such a good leading lady, and while still cheesy the actual story is very compelling from what I have played(but reading datalogs is a must!)
Last edited by mue 26 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:22 pm

^Disagree to me Tidus was amazing.

Just finished Chapter 12. Shame it's ending soon but 39 hours is a good length. But I guess I have a treat with Yakuza 3 after this.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Clint » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Tidus was indeed very, very immature and cheesy.

Still, the game was awesome. Characters like Wakka and especially Auron made the game for me.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:10 pm

I liked Tidus too. In all his Meg Ryan lookalike, male cheerleader, backstreet boy glory.

[spoiler]What struck me the most about him (and what should've been left alone in the sequel) was the fact that he was a tragic character to the bitter end. Can't think of many FF main characters that had that trait.[/spoiler]

Alot of the more dumber scenes involving him could've been left out though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8-e-C4Uy0

I will say that the voice acting in FFX is phenomenally better than it is in FFXIII. And you bastards are talking about it so much now its making me want to play through it again. Shoot me for saying this, but I always enjoyed the Blitzball segments. In fact I played them all the time.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Clint » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Kenny™© wrote:I liked Tidus too. In all his Meg Ryan lookalike, male cheerleader, backstreet boy glory.

[spoiler]What struck me the most about him (and what should've been left alone in the sequel) was the fact that he was a tragic character to the bitter end. Can't think of many FF main characters that had that trait.[/spoiler]

Alot of the more dumber scenes involving him could've been left out though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8-e-C4Uy0

I will say that the voice acting in FFX is phenomenally better than it is in FFXIII. And you bastards are talking about it so much now its making me want to play through it again. Shoot me for saying this, but I always enjoyed the Blitzball segments. In fact I played them all the time.

^Yeah that scene in particular was embarassing.

I knew someone was going to highlight that eventually.

I might play through FFX again as well. I've got a master save of 120 hours, but that's still with a few dark summons left to kill. There's just tons to do on that game.

Auron is one of the best FF characters by far. Absolutely loved his story and ending scenes.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Lol you know what I honestly dont even think that scenes too bad, I found it actually quite funny this time! The voice acting is terrible though Tidus in particular, I prefer the voice acting in Xlll, but you know what looking back on it X wasn't all bad at all, I just had some gripes with the story line at times. But maybe that was because I came into it after playing FF8(I have still yet to play 9) and so my standards were so high
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Auron was the best character in FFX, bar none.

Not cause he was a no nonsense character or anything. He was just cool. He had more of a purpose in the storyline and his VO was godly. Plus the fact he didn't come out as much probably multiplied his badass vibe.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Clint » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:59 pm

mue 26 wrote:Lol you know what I honestly dont even think that scenes too bad, I found it actually quite funny this time! The voice acting is terrible though Tidus in particular, I prefer the voice acting in Xlll, but you know what looking back on it X wasn't all bad at all, I just had some gripes with the story line at times. But maybe that was because I came into it after playing FF8(I have still yet to play 9) and so my standards were so high

I didn't even like FFX until I played it recently for a 2nd time.

It's now one of my favourite games. I'd rank it equal to FFVIII which I am also a big fan of.

Thinking of these games now, it's hard to imagine how they've managed to break what used to be a cycle of great games into something as mediocre as FFXIII.

And it needs to be said. As much as I like FFXII, Square just hasn't been the same since Enix hopped on board. Could be a coincidence. But probably not.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Wakka owns all,just simply because he was voiced by the same guy who plays Bender on Futurama. 8)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17 pm

^Ha never knew that.

Just beat FFXIII. Ending was good but the last battle wasn't to hard. Infact some of the random battles in the last dungeon were harder then the last boss. I'll wait until more people beat it before I go into detail.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Thy_DarkAngel wrote:Haha, so my review comments prior to the official release of the game are being matched by your opinions (some at least) even if they were more or less ignored when I made them.

You're acting like you've just had a victory because a guy called "Bastard Yusuke" agrees with your pessimism.
Doesn't sound like much of a victory to me.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:36 pm

When has Yusuke ever been positive about anything? :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Oppy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:06 am

Anyone who bashes this game is a knob. Im not defending it because im a fanboy, but I and most other rpg fans enjoy this game. I agree FFXIII is no masterpeice, especially by final fantasy standard. but saying its shit is rediculous. Yes alot of people had high expectations and that is why they were let down with the linearness of the game. But to go and say its shit without atleast tackling a decent length of the game is just plain ignorance. The battle system in XIII is the best so far. The graphics and Music are alot better then most games on current gen consoles and the leveling system i think is quite inovative, you level your characters the way you want them to be, instead of just increasing random stats every time you level up. Ok SE went with a different concept with XIII so it is different to the previous FF games. but to go and say its shit and terrible is silly. Its people like this that make less people want to play it and i dont beleive anyone that says this game isnt entertaining because from start to finish there was not one part where i wanted to stop playing the game because of the gameplay and story. Atleast give this game a chance and play a decent amount of it before you bash the hell out of it and try to convince everyone else that its shit.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming