Final Fantasy

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Final Fantasy

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Looks cool, I hope v.2 can make it good again. Also I swore I saw the magitek armor in that video from FF6 that Terra used with biggs and wedge in the beginning.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Cool video.
I'll definitely be playing XIV when it comes out again.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yukupo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Yep, it was magitek armor. It's possible that it will be a mount in 2.0.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Yukupo wrote: Yep, it was magitek armor. It's possible that it will be a mount in 2.0.

How the fuck does that work? Does it take place on the same planet at FF6? Are they trying to pull the nostalgia strings and just throw it in there? Or is there a legitimate connection between the 2 games?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 am

Yukupo wrote: Yep, it was magitek armor. It's possible that it will be a mount in 2.0.

FOrgive me I am a huge nerd but I could not help but chuckle at this sentence. As every single word is pure nerdom. Not a single thing would make sense outside us nerds and reminded me of this
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYO1j2Vhztc[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yukupo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 pm

^ :lol:

AnimeGamer183 wrote:

How the fuck does that work? Does it take place on the same planet at FF6? Are they trying to pull the nostalgia strings and just throw it in there? Or is there a legitimate connection between the 2 games?
It's a fan reference. No there's no actual connection to FF6. But really, with Final Fantasy there are a ton of things that exist between games. Monsters, moogles, chocobos, etc. I think that's what they're trying to do with this. Apparently there's rumors of them building the Golden Saucer too.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 am

Here’s What Makes a Final Fantasy, According to Square Enix

The first item on the list is "magic"
The second is "summoning
The third on the list of needed components is "gorgeous beauty"
The fourth thing needed in a Final Fantasy is a little ambiguous: "refinement"
Lastly, they stated that Final Fantasies need "change and challenge"

And thats why they can't make another good one.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Actually, that pretty accurately describes each successive game in the series, almost from the start. These are very broad topics of course, so detail is obviously needed to flesh each of those aspects out.
But seriously:
Every FF has magic.
Summoning has become a bit of a hallmark for the series.
It's always been a series with great graphics, and the stories always attempt to be touching. "Gorgeous beauty" is kind of ambiguous (no doubt one of those odd translation things that should probably be explained), but it seems obvious that it's a reference to appealing aesthetics on all fronts (graphics, music, story).
"Refinement" always happens. Keep the necessary gameplay hallmarks and re-tune them to fit the new story and world.
"Change and challenge" always seems to happen as well. New characters, stories, and gameplay aspects would be the change, and challenge is pretty self-explanatory.

It's clearly intended as a very, very broad guideline, so all the details aren't in there, but what's all so bad about this little list?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Here’s What Makes a Final Fantasy, According to Square Enix

The first item on the list is "magic"
The second is "summoning
The third on the list of needed components is "gorgeous beauty"
The fourth thing needed in a Final Fantasy is a little ambiguous: "refinement"
Lastly, they stated that Final Fantasies need "change and challenge"

And thats why they can't make another good one.

I don't even bother with FF anymore. To me Final Fantasy and Square Soft have been reborn and rebooted in Mistwalker and The Last Story. If more people play it then they would understand why it's one of the best RPGs in years and def bring back what used to make FF so special. Not to mention a great Main Character. Something FF has missed on since 7 or 8 depending.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 pm

OL wrote: Actually, that pretty accurately describes each successive game in the series, almost from the start. These are very broad topics of course, so detail is obviously needed to flesh each of those aspects out.
But seriously:
Every FF has magic.
Summoning has become a bit of a hallmark for the series.
It's always been a series with great graphics, and the stories always attempt to be touching. "Gorgeous beauty" is kind of ambiguous (no doubt one of those odd translation things that should probably be explained), but it seems obvious that it's a reference to appealing aesthetics on all fronts (graphics, music, story).
"Refinement" always happens. Keep the necessary gameplay hallmarks and re-tune them to fit the new story and world.
"Change and challenge" always seems to happen as well. New characters, stories, and gameplay aspects would be the change, and challenge is pretty self-explanatory.

It's clearly intended as a very, very broad guideline, so all the details aren't in there, but what's all so bad about this little list?

Because its so broad it could be used to talk about almost any series. So what makes a Final Fantasy a Final Fantasy is the same thing that makes a Tales game? Tales has all of those things (yep even summoning).

They have no idea behind what makes the series good, which is why we get the shallow games they've been developing lately.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:23 pm

“We won’t make a mistake like FF14 again – if we did, it would be like at the level of destroying the company,” he said.

But you keep making these kind of mistakes..... :???: ..in fact they are too oblivious to even know what they do wrong in the first place.

Seriously tho Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
The Last Story been some of the best RPG's this gen. Few of them big name former Square Soft guys.
People need to move away from Square. It's a sinking ship not worth saving and too late. People just want to cling to a shell that has a familiar name. Go Mistwalker. It's the Square Soft of the 90's.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr wrote:Because its so broad it could be used to talk about almost any series. So what makes a Final Fantasy a Final Fantasy is the same thing that makes a Tales game? Tales has all of those things (yep even summoning).

They have no idea behind what makes the series good, which is why we get the shallow games they've been developing lately.

And where is this quote from?
I don't doubt that it's entirely taken out of context in some gaming site article. I can't imagine Square goes into a meeting about what the next Final Fantasy should be, throws these points on the table word for word, and says "well, we've got our game! Put it on a disc and we're done!"
They're guidelines. The whole point is to fill in the blanks. The defining qualities of FF lie in the details that compose those blanks. I'm not trying to defend the series at all, I just don't agree with taking five short sentences out of context and saying "yep, here's why they suck."
The problems with the more recent FF games don't come down to these particular points. These particular points are completely sound, and describe pretty much every successive FF game from IV on.
The actual problems with the most recent entries are the generally poor storytelling, first and foremost, and a lack of the adventurous creativity that earlier games had.
I don't see how the use of magic and summons, attractive aesthetics, and tweaks to the established gameplay formulas have anything to do with why the most recent entries have dipped in lasting quality. Those are just simple necessities that go into every one, boiled down to their most basic descriptions.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Over the weekend Square-enix had a showing of the new Engine they developed and during a QA with the developers this came up. I forgot to put the link.

http://kotaku.com/5963157/what-square-e ... al-fantasy

The reason this is an issue, is because they had a big showing of their new engine and then went on stage and said "This is how we make a final fantasy". Look at how they develop games, look at why they lose money and you'll realize that they might as well be saying "Yep we got all these things so uhhh just make it work" Look at how much of FF13's story was shoehorned to make some of those points work.

They don't really know what makes a Final Fantasy game stand out.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:33 am

It won't happen, I'm sure of it, but I do wish that because of the recent news of Matsuno leaving Level 5, that SE is doing their damnest to get him back.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:52 am

As said in the link.

This is what you need to make Final Fantasy...sorry SE he took that with him. All SE owns in the name but no the soul
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming