Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:The Last Story. (Wii)

Was really interested in the game but after finding Blur Dragon very 'meh' and Lost Odyssey ok I decided I'd wait for this to drop in price. Sadly it seems to be sticking to around £30 and I bet it will just rise at this point.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Hey, Kenny's more of a man than me anyway. He beat Superman 64, for crying out loud.

DMC2 is game of the century compared to that abomination.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, ThyDarkAngel
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Yeah, totally. You must have been really goddamned bored, man, that's all I got on that one. :lol:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:52 pm

The Walking Dead.

I always thought, through all their ugly warts and moles, Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain were a great new step in the right direction in terms of enhancing the storytelling aspect in games. Sure it could've been better in some aspects, not to mention Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted have done a great job mixing great gameplay with a great narrative, but I never agreed that it wasn't the right way to tell a story in games. That a game has to be a game, not a movie. That it'd be much better to watch youtube videos of it in action since in theory it'll be the same as playing.

This game trumps ALL of that. This proves there is no right or wrong way to make a game and it also proves no matter how seemingly "non-interacive" it is, you can have a great gameplay experience while doing so little. Turns out a game like this needs to do two things: make an incredibly engaging story and make the story change based on the choices you make. Walking Dead does a fantastic job of both. I found it funny that the devs said they took alot of inspiration from Heavy Rain during the making of the Jurassic Park game, they just merely perfected it here.

The story from very beginning to very end is just EXCELLENT. I can't remember the last time I was truly captivated like this, maybe not since the original Metal Gear Solid or Omikron. The choices I made sometimes impacted the story, in both small and big ways. But more importantly, it was always intense. There were always conflicts, hard decisions that had to be made, and the consequences of your actions are never forgotten. And the characters were so delightfully different from each other, it just made this much more sweeter and unique. You end up caring about many (if not all) of the characters, which makes some of these decisions so much harder to make.

I agree that this game shouldn't have had many puzzles, it just slowed down the pace of this excellent narrative. I did like the little things, like finding batteries, since they always lead to interesting interactions between you and the other characters. It's only those few times when it doesn't and leaves you wandering around looking for a way to progress through the game (happened to me in the end of Episode 3) that it becomes unnecessarily tedious.

I also agree the relationship between Lee and Clementine, based on how you interact with her, is one of the most engaging things ever put in a game. Kids are terribly annoying cause most of the time, people just don't know how to write them. They don't remember what it's like to be a kid and just make them do typical stuff like "crave candy" and "play in traffic". Or they go the other direction and make them smarmy and too wise for their youth, unfortunately they don't sound authentic since you can tell they were written by adults and trying to make them talk like adults.

Clementine here is balanced very well. She acts like a kid but through the harshness of the environment around her, she's forced to grow up fast. And it's your job to make sure she can take care of herself as well as make sure she's out of harm's way. Like Riku, nearly all my decisions were made to benefit her and not me. I felt like a surrogate parent like Lee was. That amazed me the most. And it made the ending that much more heartbreaking for me.

I've always loved games with great stories from beginning to end, even ones as simple as Machinarium. But to have something intense from the start to the very end, this deserves nothing but high marks from me. A 9/10 easy. The only way it would get a perfect 10 from me is if they kept the surprises going and the pace made perfect. Not everything can be THAT perfect though, but it is one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I had in a long time. I'd take another short adventure like this over a 300 hour RPG or the most acclaimed AAA title.

The TV show should've been like this game. THIS is how you do a dramatic zombie story RIGHT. Then again, the interactivity aspect is what made the experience so much richer. I really can't wait for Season 2 now.

EDIT: I forget to mention, I played the PS3 retail version of this game. It's TERRIBLY LAGGY, there's constant chugging and freezing happening all the time. The experience was really THAT good for me to forget all about it before posting the review, but I have to mention it now. Does the DLC have these issues? If not, i'm getting that until they sort out the bugs with a patch or another retail version.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:35 pm

^I downloaded it and about the first two chapter had bad frame rate and would be choppy at times. It seemed like they fixed it by the third chapter as it ran pretty smooth from there on. My sister played the first episode when she got it free on iOS and wanted to play the rest so I let her use my Xbox, she said there was a point in episode 2 where at the end one of the brothers was disappearing and moving all over the map.

Glad you enjoyed it though it's one of my favorite games ever and I can't wait for season 2. Just keep your save as it's meant to carry over (No idea how that will pan out).
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:13 pm

With Clementine still alive as well as Lily in my playthrough (possibly Omid and Christa), I can see them pop up again with a cast of new characters.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Although I consider it unlikely I've seen people say Kenny may come back. Just don't see it myself but you never actually see him kick the bucket.

I wonder what they plan to carry over though. Pretty much everyone who survived has nothing happen to them that will effect them majorly other then references they could make to the first game.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah with Kenny, it's 50/50. The guy was such a prick before his family got massacred though, so I hope he kicked the bucket when he tried to save Ben. It's the only redeeming thing for him.

We can speculate, but i'm more excited about what they come up with. Hopefully they get some of the same people and hire new Hollywood talent to spice things up like Episode 4, which was fucking brilliant.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:44 pm

No idea how it played out but my friend let Ben die in Ep4 so Kenny went out in a similar fashion for him but not saving Ben. He said he went down the hole that you see filled with zombies on the rooftop.

The meat of the game is in the writing though. Telltale need to focus on making the game run while someone else works on the script.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 pm

The whole reason the walking dead game is good is because the game designers are the writers. If they weren't the two things would be disconnected.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 pm

I thought all the writing was done by others and Telltale just developed it. Well I was wrong for thinking that every developer doing a story based game should try this approach.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Riku Rose wrote: I thought all the writing was done by others and Telltale just developed it. Well I was wrong for thinking that every developer doing a story based game should try this approach.

Not wrong just in this case they're experienced writers and developers, so the two go hand in hand. I think the reason its so buggy is because:
A.They're not a big studio and are stretched kind of thin
B. It was created for PC and even big companies like Bethesda have trouble porting stuff these days.

If we see another game i doubt it'll have these amazing graphics of a next gen leap but I don't necessarily think it'll be on current gen consoles. They also mentioned a few times they were looking into multiple endings.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Going by the credits and a couple of articles, co-designer Sean Vanaman was the primary writer so no doubt having the talent be gifted in both the game design and narrative process works wonders. But Gary Whitta is credited as writer in episode 4 and a consultant for the entire five episode season. I thought Episode 4 was the strongest episode, but each one had their intense moments.

I think it's this nice solid collaboration from both ends that helped the overall product. One clearly cannot excel without the other. Whitta probably had a good understanding with the team and was able to work with them with their expertise on the gaming side of things, but I can only speculate.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:54 pm

It's funny, I've watched other people play The Walking Dead and everyone I saw was affected by all those emotional high points just as hard as they did for me. Just goes to show the strength of the story that's been told when it gets such a universal reaction.

Tuffty has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, ThyDarkAngel
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Well if you guys like The Walking Dead, I think there are a bunch of Adventure games you'd really get into. Just ask Vyse or Kiba. They may not all be as strongly emotional as TWD when it comes to making people cry and such but Gabriel Knight, Maniac Mansion, 7th Guest and Outcast are all moving in their own way.

This is actually feeding into a point I've been trying to make for a while now. We don't necessarily need other people from other industries to join in the game making process the way people like Dan Houser and David Cage keep saying, we need those people to actually join the development process, as in really joining hands on. I'd love to work with Edger Wright but id I ever did I wouldn't just have him feed me lines or help me set up cameras. I'd want to know how he felt about the game itself because i want the mechanics to match his aesthetic direction. Too often games are disconnected aesthetically and mechanically.

Sorry for rambling.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Kenny
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming