Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Riku Rose wrote: I totally forgot that Metal Gear Rising existed. I thought that after beating Arkham Knight I'd finally play Peace Walker before MGS:5 comes out so I'm all caught up on the series. It was only when you guys started posting about it that I realized that it passed me by when it came out. Nice to see you can get it for stupidly cheap though.

Play it on the hardest setting possible and you'll find the game to be even more enjoyable than Shinji Mikami's Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden Black. Note also that this game is only Metal Gear in name.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:29 am

Sunset by Tale of Tales:

I'll go with the bad:

DESIGN:
- Gameplay features 3 mechanics: Sitting and reading subtitles, binary choices to make your boss like/dislike you, and going home. All set up in a time managing system (if we can even call it a system). Do any of those sound engaging ?

- Even selecting a binary choice is done pretty badly, to select the choice you wantyou have to move the mouse around. Not pretty slick.

- You have only 2 choices per interaction, but even it takes the engagement away by spelling out "this choice he'll like, this choice he won't". There's no much sense of discovery.

- You have a limited Y axis rotation, so you can pretty much just look 45 degrees up or down, for things that are on the floor it's really annoying. I don't know how NOBODY could give them directions at that, but I guess this is what comes when you don't play games.

- Much of the "revolution" story still goes on it's way no matter what you do, and does not fully puts you in the role of doing pretty much anything. You only get some visual feedback (that's mostly decoration).

- They make you look around for little notes around the house (not interesting and only offer the same binary choice), it's like they found about pixel hunting and decided to make it even less interesting (since the enviroment it's pretty much the same the whole game).

- By the reasons said before, any person playing the game for a couple of minutes will go "find the X job, look around for notes, keep pressing the choice you've been choosing, go to sofa and read". And REALLY the whole game is that, it gets boring incredibly fast (and the narration and story of the game is even subpar, so you don't even have that).

EXECUTION:
- The game just runs poorly.
- There are spelling mistakes.

ABOUT THE GAME:
------
SPOILERS
-----
There's no real consistency here, at all.
The game spoonfeeds you pretty much everything. There's no real political conflict, it's just goverment is bad, and it's not like you can really tell, because the game is pretty much a misc of Cuban revolution, and South American military interventions, and those were actually quite different topics, so the world lacks of any real dimension, it's just "goverment is bad m'kay".

The conflict between using violence to fight violence is the theory of two demons (done badly). Same goes with the "art monologues", it's childhish, again is one dimensional at best "creating is good" "no one likes violence" "art can join people". Specially in a moment of clash of cultures, it doesn't have anything more interesting to say ?

Character development is done badly. One moment your brother is the leader of the resistance and you love him, at the other second he's just a kid that joined "those rebels", one second your boss is selling weapons, to helping the rebels "because he likes art and don't want violence". While I understand that there could be a good character arc there, sadly the evolution it's not really in the game, and you are going along with it pretty much "because" (or maybe because you are just cleaning a house).

Even the sitting monologues are as bland as they come, you can get better dialogue from listening 10 minutes to a crack addict, it changes from being mundane, to trying to be deep, to personal thoughts, but it's just not well written and are as mentally stimulating as listening to a 17 yr old that thinks knows everything about life. It's so stupid that it's condescending to the audience (and judging by the tweets, yeah, they're condescending as ♥♥♥♥, but I guess they think are the best thing since sliced bread).

I still like what they try to do, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

The good:
- Cool graphics.
- Interesting concept.
- Interesting setting.

So yeah.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:03 am

Finished Contradiction the game. I liked it, a little bit anti climatic ending.

There are a lot of stuff to pick on from a design perspective:

- Every person you talk gives you "clues" that's meant to be like some sort of inventory of old ag games, but at the end (most game actually) there are A LOT of clues to find "contradictions" like +30 for every character, it still holds the logic of "whatever the designer thought" is what is supposed to make it.
- Since the game is about talking to the same people, there A LOT of backtracking.
- The "contradictions" are only between the same guy speaking.
- The controls are not par for anything, you still get used to it. But it seems it was an iphone game before releasing it on pc.

I really liked the setting, dialogue and trama actually.
Pretty nice game to be honest. I've played a big ammount of FMV adventure games, the video here was pretty good, and not much of a disturbance in the places that it wasn't "that good".

It's a refreshing game in the "being old" department. Has some of the bad design of old adventure games (backtracking, forcing solutions, dev only logic), but for a guy like me, it hit the spot. Sadly the "presentation" and execution was subpar, but you can get into it.

I think they stretched a little bit what "dialogue puzzles" mean (thinking about phoenix wright, were you have like 5 statements at a time). Could be better, but I pretty sure liked it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster

Final Fantasy X HD remaster has come with some interesting goodies and upgrades and its a great definitive version of this game. Obviously the biggest change is the upgrade to HD and visual and graphical overhaul with many models and areas and geographical stuff touched up to almost perfection. There is also the International version content which really doesnt add or take away much, you get to battle the dark aeons if you wish and some of the game and battle mechanics are re-worked, a new optional "expert" sphere grid.I started playing it on the PS3 and decided to switch over to the PS4 version because it had an option I really wanted, the original music from the PS2 release, you will only find the new "arranged" music on the PS3 and PSVita versions of the game. Its not like these new versions are bad, they are every musical piece of the beautiful Nobuno Uematsu scores re-recorded, remiced, and remastered. They arent bad, and I often found myself enjoying these new interpretations of the games music, but I really think the original versions are better, no instruments changed, no subtle differences in the effects and engineering of the music so the PS4 version I had to finish the game on.

I now want to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of the game itself, the inevitable "test of time" and looking back on this PS2 classic in its new form. I'll start by saying there is alot to like about this game, and the likes far out weigh the games short comings. The world of this game has some of the most effort put into it in the entire Final Fantasy series, and certainly up to the 10th game at that point. The world is rich with culture and belief and its just a gorgeous world and areas really suck you in with the attention to detail paid to almost everything. The characters are great, an almost perfect cast with the exception of few stereo-typical characters, the main character is a love/hate ordeal for many but either way I have never seen a main character quite like Tidus. Yunas Journey is also a huge part of all this and everything flows together very well and by the end it feels like a complete tale. The collective story in this game sees these characters having certain religious beliefs, questioning them, then resolving them and it puts alot of thought and questions in the mind of the player about what exactly these people are going through and the story is put down in a way that is very emotional and makes you think and put the pieces together, like any great story should.

The battle system in this game is probably my personal favorite turn based battle system in the entire series. Its easy to get used to, its fun, you can switch out characters on the fly, and I think one of the most impressive aspects of this game is the balance in the battle system between your characters and monsters you fight, there is always a good way to defeat one particular enemy. Its fun to sub in X character to do a buff or de-buff and switch them right back out to optimize damage and strength so the characters that fight that particular monster best can have a field day, its fun and gratifying figuring out the best way to defeat enemies or finding new ways. Another end of the battle system in this game that I also think is the best in the Final Fantasy series is summoning, you can to actually control them and fight with them! In many of the other games they are just an attack that does mass damage but the summons/aeons are an important part of the story in this game and its makes it all flow together that much more that they were so well done. The overdrive system is also good, and the summons have them too, I did something different this play through that I did not remember ever changing on my original play through and that was the over drive modes for each particular character but I took full advantage this time around to get my party to their over drives the fastest.

Lets talk about another game changing aspect, the sphere grid. Wow how many other games tried/stole this formula after this one? Your characters dont level up and gain abilities and atributes like the previous games. You progress through a grid/path of all your characters abilities and you gain AP (ability points) to make it further down the path to obtain stats and abilities. It makes it interesting because there are locked off abilities that can be very powerful and finding the items needed to unlock these can be fun. Also at a certain points in the game you can start taking different characters down other characters paths and teach them their abilities thus creating hybrid characters, the character customization in this one is pretty deep, especially towards the end.

There is alot of extra and optional things to do in the game. There is Blitzball, there is the monster arena, optional dungeons and summons to find, chocobo racing, item collecting, even an entire alphabet/language to discover! There are plenty of extra hours you can cram into this game to really reap the rewards in battle, the characters ultimate weapons are very very powerful and also take away the damage limiter so you can exceed 4 digits! But alot of it is very difficult to obtain and it certainly not necessary to make your way through a regular play through but if you want to defeat the most difficult bosses and dungeons in the game, you are going to need them.

The game has few short comings and thats good, but I think the main one if the menu interface and the lack of depth and simplicity of the menu. First off the inventory limit is very constraining, I often found myself not sure what items to get rid of to obtain new ones, alot of them are actually very useful and were equipment I would have liked to have kept. The customization system lets you add atributes to slots on various equipment, but the draw back is that its hard to know what items you need and where to farm them to really reap the benefits of the customization system, its a great idea but in the end felt rushed and tached on. Also trying to find the items you want in the customization screen is a mess, they are scattered everywhere and with the already constraining inventory limits, even sorting them by character can be a pain.

One of the other major differences in Final Fantasy X is its more linear style of play. Its a pretty straight forward path and it only lets you really travel all over at the very end of the game, and its kind of a disappointment you arent allowed to go back and see the previous areas until the very end. This brings up another difference that would have been very interesting if they could have implemented it and thats the lack of a true world map to navigate on. Many previous entries in the series took full advantage of exploration of the world map and traveling from town to town as you please. Final Fantasy X is different in that regard, im not going to say its bad the way it is because im not quite sure they could have made everything work and still keep the game quality high, the beauty of the world of spira and the areas you travel through I think took priority rather than putting it all into a world map, I enjoy both ways of play.

At the end of the day this PS2 classic shines through on its new systems. The game has aged very well, and while its still not that old compared to some, the test of time seems to be pretty positive in regard to Final Fantasy X, the menu and its complications are the biggest issue in that regard and thats not that significant considering the games collective. It was a joy and treat to replay this game with all the improvements and if you are considering playing Final Fantasy X again some time soon you may have to pick up the HD remaster and give it a go, also it comes with X-2 if you are interested in that game as well. End verdict is worth the purchase and worth the play through, its a nostalgia ride for veteran fans of the game, and I highly recommend picking this one up!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:14 am

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright:

This is a 3DS collaboration between Capcom and Level-5.

Gameplay:

The game is divided up into chapters, much like in the Professor Layton games. Chapters alternate between Court cases, and exploring the town, where talking to, and examining the scenery may lead to a puzzle. There aren't as many puzzles in this game as there are in any Professor Layton game, and they are, on the whole, not quite as tricky.

Court cases play out much the same as they do in the Ace Attorney games. One thing that has been added is cross-examining multiple witnesses at the same time. When this happens, while you are pressing one witness, another witness may react to whatever the witness being pressed is saying, giving you the option to then question the other witness to see why they reacted. This can be quite interesting, but it does cause slowdown sometimes when you have a number of witnesses on the stand at the same time. You also don't have the option to speed up text that you've already seen, so if two witnesses react to one statement, you'll need to go through the first witnesses statement at least twice to be able to question both the witnesses that reacted.

Hint coins also return, and these can be used both for puzzles, or in the court. Using a hint coin for a puzzle works in the same way as the Layton games, you can spend a coin for each individual hint, except for the last "super" hint, which costs two hint coins. In the Court using a hint coin will point you to the statement you need to press, or present evidence at, and if evidence is required, the hint coin will also reduce the amount of available evidence.

Picarats are used to score puzzles, the higher the Picarat score, the more difficult (usually) the puzzle is. Answering a puzzle incorrectly will lead the number of Picarats you receive when you do answer the puzzle correctly to be reduced. You cannot lose the game by answering puzzles incorrectly, the loss of Picarats are the only consequence. In the Court, you are able to make five mistakes before losing the trial (as in the first Ace Attorney.) Losing a trial will lead to a game over.

Story:

The story starts with one of Professor Layton's former students, Carmine Accidenti escaping from a place known as "Labyrinthia" with one of it's residents, a girl called Espella Cantabella. They are pursued by shadowy figures that appear to be witches, and Carmine ends up injured in a car crash. Espella is unharmed, and manages to make her way over to Professor Layton's office, where he and Luke decide to protect Espella from the witches that are chasing her.

At the same time, Phoenix and Maya have just arrived in London as part of some kind of legal exchange program.

The witches break into Layton's office, and a chase ensures, which ends with Espella on a ship, and Layton and Luke in Labyrinthia. While on the ship, Espella is accused of theft and assault, and Phoenix ends up defending her, only for the trial to end with Phoenix and Maya arriving in Labyrinthia, where they meet Layton and Luke, who decide to work as a team to uncover Labyrinthia's secrets.

I personally feel that the game sometimes went a little too heavy on the whole friendship between Layton/Luke and Phoenix/Maya, and how anything could be solved as long as they worked together.

One criticism I have read from several players about this game is that Layton is stuck-up. I didn't think Layton really acted any differently in this game than how he does in the Professor Layton series (though it must be said, I'm not fond of Professor Layton as a character), but I did find him a little intrusive in some of the court chapters. You don't get the option to distract him by waving a shiny puzzle in front of his face either. :sad:

Espella, a central character in this game is unfortunately rather bland. She's very kind and brave, but lacks any sort of quirks or anything that really makes the player invested in her and her welfare.

The Prosecutor is probably the nicest one in an Ace Attorney game to date, even more so than Klavier. Not a bad thing in itself, but after Klavier and Blackquill, whom while he wasn't the friendliest of prosecutors, did fight completely fairly in court, you do start to miss having a prosecutor that you really fight against, rather than work with.

The story was written by Takumi, the writer for the first three Ace Attorney games. Despite this, the story, and definitely the ending, are more reminiscent of a Professor Layton game, rather than an Ace Attorney game.

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright takes around 15-20 hours to complete, depending on whether you want to search everywhere to find all the puzzles. If you have an interest in either the Professor Layton or Ace Attorney games, I'd say this game is worth a play, just be aware that you won't be getting a full Layton game or a full Ace Attorney game experience.
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:03 am

Lost Dimension (Vita) Also available on PS3.

Still need to go back and get the "True Ending" at some point, but I was fairly satisfied when I finished the game. The way the game opens is really over the top and rather hilarious, it kind of sticks out a bit when the game itself is so mellow and toned down. The basic premise is that there is one person who is bringing the world to the brink of apocalypse called "The End" (no, not the Cobra Unit guy) and a group of young people who have psychic powers are brought together to put *ahem* an end to The End. Confused yet? Anyway, the game's story is rather thin but the characters are interesting enough that will make you keep playing. It's basically similar to like an anime version of X-Men or something of that nature as the characters are always doubting themselves because of their powers. The game does do a good job of mixing an undercurrent of paranoia and gloominess against the clean, bright visuals of the game world. As far as anime styled games go, it was a good looking game with character models/art style that reminds me of Freedom Wars.

The more interesting part to the game is the "traitor" system which changes every time you play the game. So no two playthroughs will be the same. I was really surprised about that. Basically one each floor of this labyrinth like area one of your team is a traitor and you have to figure out who it is, convince other members of the team who it is (thereby changing the votes through manipulating them into choosing the right one) and then through the "Judgment" system at the end of each floor, eliminate them by choosing who you think it is in a vote. At the same time as this, you have to gain other members of the team's trust. This can be done in several ways, one is just by talking to them and choosing the right dialogue options, another is through the combat itself and there's also character quests to be completed also.

I really did get addicted to this game's battle system. It's one of those "hybrid" systems where it kind of a SRPG in the style of Valkyria Chronicles with free movement and turn based combat. The only downside is that the Vita version seems to have these 1-2 second "loading" screens as you take actions against the enemy or when the computer takes its turn. Didn't bother me, but I can see some people getting agitated by such things. There's no "random battles", each battle is selectable and there's sub quests too. Missions can be replayed over and over whilst the main character figures out who the traitor is and for grinding purposes. The game can get really challenging at points, but there are so many unlockable skills (which played a huge part into the addiction of the game for me) and chain attacks (whereby gaining trust, you can use "ally attacks" to chain together attacks with other team members in the vicinity) that combat is considerably fair and just plain fun.

New Game + seems really cool since without going too into spoilers, the traitor of the first round on the first playthrough (who is mandatory for all players) is now playable for more of the game. I've still not unlocked all of the character's skills and the psychic powers are all really cool. I especially liked Marco's Telekinesis skills and Himeno's pyrokinetic skills. I'd say the game is a good 20-30 hours long if you do all of the sub quests, a good deal of grinding and character quests in the first playthrough, so it's a good length without overstaying its welcome.

Oh yeah and the music is really good. I especially loved the final boss battle theme. Soooogood.jpg

Overall, I would highly recommend this game for people who enjoy JRPGs/Tactical RPGs with lots of new concepts and enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles combat system [since it's basically that but with psychic powers...which is awesome]. Fans of Atlus should check it out also since the developer was formed by former members of the SMT development team (who worked on Strange Journey among others). Look forward to seeing whatever these guys do next since this was a really cool debut game from them.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Shibiryo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:26 am

Type: PS3
Genre: Stealth action
Developer: Konami

Summary: MGS4 is a Stealth/Action game in which you play as Old Snake, or an older Solid Snake. He is infiltrating several battlefields in the year 2014, so there are some fake weapons. There are 5 acts, or locations. The online mode is called Metal Gear Online or MGO. It features Mic support and DualShock 3 (Vibration) I believe.

Campaign: As I said, there are 5 Acts or locations in MGS4 in the year 2014. The first is The Middle East, or a desert like place.The second is South America, a forest location.The third is Eastern Europe or a rainy Italy or something.The fourth is back to MGS1 in Shadow Moses Island, but don't worry there are only small unmanned weapons (mini gecko) and the occasional Gecko.Finally, a new place called Outer Haven, not Heaven, Haven. A big warship which Liquid Ocelot stole from underneath Shadow Moses Island. There are 70 weapons, all are guns except for the Stun Knife. Snake has a new sneaking suit called Octo-Camo which mirrors walls and floors properties almost perfectly.

Metal Gear Online: This is the online mode which
requires installing every once in awhile and can get very annoying because it takes 3 hours
mostly.There are many ranks to go up and many
weapons to choose from. There are about 10
servers for matches if I am correct . Many games are filled with experts at MGS4 so always watch your six (back) and be alert. However, the online isn't perfect, this is due to extra installing time, the frequency that it has to be installed, and how long it takes to install.

Graphics: These are the best PS3 graphics I have ever seen. They are very realistic including blood, enemies, clothes, walls and floors, and most importantly the cut-scenes. Controls: The main controls (walk, aim, shoot, squat, crawl, and switch weapon or item) are easy to learn. after playing the game for a while you can find how to roll, do hold-ups, etc. are clearer.

Campaign: 10
Metal Gear Online: 8.5
Graphics: 10
Controls: 10
Overall: 9.25
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Rakim » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:50 am

:lol: that was the best book report I've read so far. congratulations you pass the 6th grade!

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Well, this topic really died.

Anywho, beat Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) last night, so here's a quick rundown since I think it's only like Orange who reads my long ass reviews:

- Neutral route is the only route you want to play, since both Law and Chaos routes suck ass (I tried Law route, didn't like it, felt rushed and Youtube'd the ending which sucked).

- Character art was actually better for the side characters than for the main cast. I still really want Kaneko back for the next one, since his designs are just more interesting/weird and "Gothic".

- Art direction was a bit of a mess, half of the time you were greeted by Kaneko's classic demon designs, other times the actual new demon designs ranged from "interesting" to "what in the fuck?" especially for Lucifer, whose design is just butt ugly. I literally went "yuck" when his design appeared at the end as i did with some of the other redesigns. If Kaneko was Art Director, this shit wouldn't have happened.

- Music was good, I enjoyed the synth work by the newcomer, but the OST was overall really forgettable compared to Shoji Meguro's music. I have a feeling the composer will grow as time goes by, though. I think the best comparison would be when Uematsu left the Final Fantasy series with XI and Hitoshi Sakimoto took over; it's just different and not as memorable (despite the fact that I liked FFXII's OST, am probably the biggest Sakimoto fanboy in the UK and think it's underrated by FF fans, it kinda doesn't hold a candle to Uematsu's stuff in his prime)

- Dungeons were really lacking compared to previous SMTs. It isn't until like right at the very end that you get actual dungeons you would associate the series with. Felt very drawn back from usual there.

- Combat didn't feel as responsive as other SMT games. It just didn't have the same feedback to it that other Megami Tensei games have. Status effects/buffs/debuffs don't play as large of a part as other Megami Tensei games and they're missing the strategical feel. Part of it is the presentation of it all; static demon artwork, it honestly kind of cheap compared to their other work.

- The game was just far too easy. I only felt challenged at like two bosses, the rest were cake. It's definitely the easiest mainline Shin Megami Tensei that I've played yet.

- Some of the characters were just throwaways that just go...nowhere. The story was full of exposition but wasn't really saying anything meaningful, at least not until like 2/3 of the way through the game by that point, I was playing just to fight the bosses.

- I much preferred the "less is more" approach of Nocturne to this. That's just me though. Some people like plot dumps and that's fine, but SMT3 just had this nihilistic and darker flavour to it.

- The ending doesn't really go anywhere and just seems meaningless, even in the Neutral route.

- Some of the side quests are a real grind to get through. And some of them are really, really interesting and have better writing than the actual main plot...

- I miss Moon Phases and the unpredictable nature of when the next random battle will appear. Trying to survive long enough to reach your next save point is now null and void since you can continue from a "Game over" and you can save literally anywhere. The challenge from previous games is just...gone.

- The run of final bosses was fun and the music in those final two dungeons/against those bosses was really good. Wish the whole game was that quality. Sort of redeemed it and pushed me on to finish the game.

- Despite all of this bitching, I still liked the game, but it was an incredibly flawed game. I think the team can do a far better job next time.

Overall, definitely my least favourite SMT game yet. Despite that, even the weakest SMT game I've played is still well worth playing and a good RPG.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: OL, Thief
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:03 am

I happened upon the neutral route just by randomly choosing answers that I felt like answering -- but even the neutral route felt incredibly lackluster by the end. I understood the ideas they were trying to present, but they just weren't presented very well, and I was ultimately left with a very big "meh" feeling. Can't even begin to wonder how lame the Law and Chaos endings were.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:47 am

I do hope it hasn't turned you off the rest of the series, since normally these games aren't your typical JRPG, IV felt kind of generic in comparison. I'd rank IV as easily the weakest writing I've seen in the series (I'm also including the spin offs such as Devil Survivor, Persona etc here). If you still have a 3DS, I highly recommend Soul Hackers, I enjoyed that one far more, especially since the whole "90's perception of what the future holds" is both charming/funny and cool at the same time. I just got a sense of nostalgia playing that game despite never playing it before, sort of like the same sensation I got when I played Snatcher. Great game. Probably my favourite on 3DS, actually.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:01 am

Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception

Uncharted 3 is a great game, that expands off mechanics and ground work already set in the first 2 games. You can easily jump into Uncharted 3 having played Uncharted 2, as the game play is still intact, with a few helpful modifications and upgrades. The cinematic sequences are about as good as they have ever been, with the usual over the top chases, getaways, and battles. The games difficulty is moderate to hard I would say, I struggled with the easy setting at places but eventually found my way. The puzzles can be challenging too this time around with some very interesting ideas. The locales look great as usual for the series, but they chose a pretty different selection this time and did not go with as much jungle areas, which was a fresh departure from the norm. The story goes back to Drakes lineage of his ancestor Sir Francis Drake, I enjoyed the back story of Drakes childhood and how he met Sully, but the story is lacking a bit on the whole, and the ending is a bit abrupt. All in all, Uncharted 3 I would say is the second best game in the series after uncharted 2, its brings back alot of the things that made uncharted 2 great and expands on them, if only the story was quality as the first 2 games, but its still easy to see why Uncharted 3 also gets high marks.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Axm
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Mr357 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:52 am

Metal Gear Solid 2

The worst Kojima game I've played through, but that's not saying much. 8/10
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:06 am

Tales from the Borderlands

Just finished up the last episode of this. Overall it was..cute.. it has its moments but the story was really all over the place. No real clear direction throughout all the episodes. Each episode the plot and goal for the main character(s) change and theirs honestly too many characters to keep up with that I found it hard to care for anyone other than the 2 main characters Rhys and Fiona.

Visually it was cool. As most telltale games are.
Music was good.
Gameplay standard affair with some Shenmue 2 style QTE's in the end.

In the end, its not really easy to recommend this to anyone but the biggest of Borderlands fans. I was never really that into the world or whatever little lore about it so this game scratches a non-existant itch for me.

Really the only reason I played it was because it was part of a sale bundle of Telltale games awhile ago on PSN and basically I got both Walking Dead Seasons 1&2, Game of Thrones, The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands all for something like $30.

Overall compared to all of those its the weakest of the lot. Actually I think this is the weakest Telltale game I've played. Back to the Future was also better than this and even that wasn't the greatest even though I'm ofcourse a big fan of BTTF.

Anyways, the game gets a.. 2/5
Something like that..
Definitely only buy it on sale.
Last edited by Axm on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:58 am

Mr357 wrote: Metal Gear Solid 2

The worst Kojima game I've played through, but that's not saying much. 8/10

You are wrong out of 10.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Monkei
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist