Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 29, 2017 1:12 am

Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5

This might be one of the best Cave shooters out there. Cave shoot em ups re generally great to begin with. Always with a great OST. Instead of space ships you are a person riding a dragon. So a top down view bullet hell Panzer Dragoon? Eh..sure I guess. Games nothing alike but ok. You shoot mainly giant fantasy lizards,reptiles and insects. Like any cave shooter you upgrade your weapon as you progress. Beautiful 2D sprites as always.

Boss fights can be screen filling dragons and other creatures.

1.5 (Arcade/360): This is the port of the arcade game. Arcade/360 are just resolution options. Its the core game, so its not really easier (Though I'm not sure what you were saying its easier than, to be fair)

Arrange: This was the 360-exclusive mode.

Black Label: This is a port of the Black Label remix, which was also released in arcades. It is dlc, and costs $14.99. There is no way to unlock it in-game. The dlc is able to be purchased on the US Marketplace. This mode also has Arcade and 360 options.

There is a fourth mode, 1.01, but it is only accessible via a dlc voucher that was included in first print runs and limited editions. It was the very first version of the game released in arcades.

Score Attack: This isn't so much a mode, its the same as normal play, except you can't continue/restart. Its the option you would pick if you wanted your run to be uploaded to the leaderboards. Each mode has a Score Attack option.

The difficulties are in each mode as well (With Black Label replacing "Ultra" with "God").

More than just bullet hell on Ultra mode.

The game just plays smoother in control and response than most Cave games to me. I mentioned it before but Cave games always have a great OST. Akai Katana to me might be the best but Mush is no slouch.

phpBB [video]

Great game is you like shooters. If you care about score this game is a challenge. If you don't then like any Cave game you can blaze through it. Japan only but import friendly on a region free Xbox 360. Hard to 1cc not matter what but awesome to try as you do get better the more you play.

My final rating is a waifu with anime boobs riding a dragon/10
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:38 am

So, Star Trek Bridge Crew.

I finally completed every mission in the game (exception being all the random missions) so I think I'll write a review. The game requires either a HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, or PSVR to play. I only have a HTC Vive, so this review is for that platform.

Star Trek Bridge Crew is a VR game where you take command of one of four bridge officers on the original starship Enterprise, or the Aegis (basically a slight redesign of the Enterprise in the new Star Trek movies). The original enterprise is 100% accurate to the TV version, and the Aegis almost has the same level of accuracy to the new Enterprise in the new movies. The only difference I have noticed from the Ageis and the movie Enterprise is the position of some of the screens in the background, and the removal of the station to the right of the captain’s seat to make room for an engineering station. Other than that, these bridges are so accurate that you would think they were created by fans, which is something Star Trek fans will enjoy.

Since this is VR the controls are very intuitive. The Vive's controllers are your hands, and you use your hands to touch stuff on the screens in front of you. Doesn't get simpler than that, which I think is what VR is all about. You can press the grip buttons on the side to curl all your fingers except for your index finger (you perform this same action in real life to press the side button on the controller). The trigger on the back is used to control the curl of the index finger. These simple controls are enough to allow the player to display complex emotions, which leads to a lot of hilarious moments on the bridge. When I first discovered I could control my index finger with the trigger I started using it to rub my nipples. I was just doing that to test out the hand movements, but everyone else on the bridge saw me do this and just broke out in laughter. There are also the natural hand emotions that you use when talking to the crew. In VR you naturally face the person you are talking to and emote accordingly. First time I was captain I involuntarily pointed to the main screen and said “engage” to signal helms to enter warp. Completely involuntary and if the tactical officer didn’t comment on how great it was I said “engage” I would not even had noticed. I think everyone was looking at me because I was fucking around on my screens while helms was waiting for my order to enter warp. You can play with a regular Xbox One controller, but I would imagine using a controller would be a lot more clunky since there is so much you can do with your hands. You also lose all ability to emote.

The game allows you to take on the position of Captain, Engineering, Helm, or Tactical. All positions are extremely easy to learn, but only really shine with experience. If you are playing single player, you are forced to play as captain and give a limited number of commands to your AI crew. You can also take over the stations manually if the AI isn't good enough. This is extremely clunky and frustrating, though. You will want to go multiplayer for some of the harder missions, which is where the game really shines.

You are dealing with real people online, so your experience is extremely dependent on your personality. Most of my experiences online have been extremely enjoyable. I don't know if it is because of the high price of VR right now or what, but the randos I played with were all adults who played the game somewhat seriously. I think I should also give the game credit for forcing players into this behavior, because there is always enough going on at each position to keep the player busy. It far is easier to obey the orders from the captain instead of randomly doing your own thing. My worst game experience was when I was captain and I had a helmsman who was extremely drunk. There was a point where we needed to warp out of the system or die from the exploding star, but the dude was too drunk to properly align the ship up for warp. Thankfully, the captain can kick whoever he desires from the bridge so you can relieve any player of his duties if needed. If you have a short temper, you most definitely do not want to play as Captain unless you have a group of friends that you can play with. The only indicator you get of your crew's skill is their rank, and often you will be put into a group with people who have no idea how to do their job. If you have the patience, this can lead to hilarious gameplay (plenty of chances for you to interject your own puns), but if you have a short temper you will likely just ragequit.

One of my major gripes with this game is that the servers are horrible. In the current iteration of the game there is a bug where you can get stuck in infinite warp and are forced to quit the game. I assume this is a problem with client sync. I also experienced issues with having the game load forever when transitioning to the briefing room to the bridge, the bridge to the briefing room, or when trying to find a new game. I think these are client sync issues since they are always fixed when the problem player leaves the game, or restarts their client. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future patch.

Another thing I do not enjoy about the game is how short it is. I only have about 17 hours in the game (4 of which was probably me struggling with server issues), and I finished all the missions in the main campaign. I am also very close to achieving the rank of Captain, which is the highest rank one can achieve right now. This game seriously needs to be expanded. PvP mode, the ability to own a ship and upgrade it, and extra ships + races are needed to extend this game's longevity. An expansion of the rank system to admiral, and allow you to issue orders to player captains in your fleet will be amazing. I really want to play more of the game, but I am finding it hard to jump in the game when all I can do are random missions that I may or may not have done before.

This game has a lot of potential and playing online is an absolute blast, but the game needs a lot more. In its current iteration, it doesn’t not feel like a complete game, and sure as hell isn't worth its $59.99 price point. I would be fine with spending that much for the game if it had a PvP mode and like 10 more campaign missions, but really this game is just too simple to justify anything more than $20. I understand that VR is in its early stages and developers do not want to commit too much time to a VR game that is an experiment, but this game is solid VR gold and deserves to be expanded into a full game. Also PLEASE allow us to walk around the ship.

Overall, I will give this game a 7.5/10.

EDIT: I think I should include my most Star Trek like experience in this post. It was on the final campaign mission where we had to beam a weapon onboard and transport it out of the system. A the final part of the mission the ship was extremely damaged (I chose to help some friendly ships in the area, which was an optional objective, but it left our ship in bad condition) and we didn't stand any chance in combat. I said to engineering "Give us all power to engines, I don't give a damn what you do or what damage the ship takes, get us out of here as quickly as possible." Engineering responded with "I am giving as much power to the engines that I can!" (he appropriately got the "I'm giving her all she got!" achievement from that). Told tactical to scan and disrupt the weapons of as many ships as possible while we got out the nebula. Helm was busy doing evasive maneuvers to dodge all torpedos fired at us while trying to get to edge of the nebula so we could warp. We ended up warping out with like 4% hull with everyone's butthole ultra puckered. At a certain point I could do nothing but trust the crew while just staring at the status of the ship's shield and hull. No forced RP, we just was trying to finish that mission and everyone was trying their hardest. That shit was so intense that it caused me to sweat in real life. That is the type of experience you can expect from this game, which is why I think it is a flagship VR game. Most satisfying experience I ever had in a video game.

I fell that I must also add that about like 40% of my time is spent as captain since I typically take the pos that no one ever wants to take, and apparently that is usually captain. I have no idea, personally, how it is to be experienced in any other position other than helm and captain.

Mr. Frozen has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 pm

INJUSTICE 2

How to make the old tried-and-true structure of the 2D fighting genre still relevant and appealing in today's gaming scene where there's an ever increasing demand for higher immersion? Simple. Turn it into a cinematic experience. Make it like Injustice 2.

Mechanically Netherrealm Studios manages to build a really technical fighting game, probably their best effort eyeing the e-sports scene. Mostly gone are the studio's trademarked goofy fighting stances and Sonic's jumping rolled up like a ball aerial moves. In their place the game presents you with seriously one of best uses of facial animation in a straight action focused game, and faithful representation of each of its characters from their comics as far as I can tell (I'm not an avid comic book reader). With the realistic art direction, it's gearing towards the uncanny valley here that is even a bit creepy (in a good way). Looking at Supergirl's wrinkles as she frowns or Harley Quinn's exaggerated facial expressions make their characters feel incredibly alive and a joy to watch them interact with each other. And more surprisingly, this is all powered by the old Unreal 3 engine (bids me with confidence that Shenmue 3 might have amazing facial animations as well now using Unreal 4, at least on paper).

Content wise this game is a full plate, with a lengthy story campaign and a variety of multiplayer and other single player online modes. They all built these modes towards a loot system akin to Blizzard's Diablo, collecting rare gear and a chance for players to customize their characters with armor parts that modify stats and even add extra move sets in non ranked matches and other single player modes. And all that gear is visually within taste context wise, not betraying their heroes' original sense of style but still enough to make it personal for you.

Regarding the main story campaign, this mode alone is enough to justify the purchase even if you are not a fighting fan, as it's amazingly well done and very satisfying to go through. The focus of the story is on a few characters, but the entire roster (sans the DLC) makes an appearance more than once during the campaign (mostly) and the story makes sure to bring their personalities to life. Even better, there are even snippets of branching paths and player's choice during the story, so you have to play it more than once to see all the outcomes. It's really like a blockbuster DC movie you will never see, as I doubt Hollywood would have the balls to display the heroes in the kind of light the game does. If you are a DC fan, this is a definitely must experience.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED 5/5

sand4fish has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby myshtuff » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:08 pm

I love star trek and I do want to get a VR setup in the somewhat near future. When I do I'll let you know Mr. Frozen. Looks like a blast. Hopefully it'll be cheaper then too.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:52 am

@Bluecast The cover art to Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5 looks jolly as heck! Crazy how many obscure Japanese exclusives their were during the early/mid 360 era.

So now that I've owned a PS4 since the day before Sony's E3 (lol) thought I'd give you my verdict on the 3 games I've beat on that platform since.

The Order 1886: This game was given as a Birthday present (along with recore, which i have yet to play), and I understand that the viewpoint of games may differ under the circumstance of receiving gifts, but I enjoyed this game a heck of a lot for the fun, short, pretty cinematic romp it was. The story was very engaging throughout and the game has a great pace that doesn't overstay it's welcome. By far the prettiest game I've ever play since Ryse: Son of Rome (like..wow, I was taking screenshots constantly in photo mode, love the art direction too).

The gameplay does have some fundamental problems, which are more evident as you play on harder difficulty. The shooting is fun but extremely limited, makes use of QTE's in the poorest of ways and overuses it (during story moments, which make the whole thing feel comedic) and dodging. The depth of field is form<function, it's so narrow you can hardly see anything at points, leading to frustration (those lycan segments are the worst). I dropped the difficulty towards the end as the game is just flat-out broken doing these segments at hard (and I found out the hard way before figuring this out online)

Still, as an overall package I enjoyed the game for making some memorable characters, great/creative weapons and a strong personality/sense of style throughout. the acting was top-notch! Like Huber would say, a great 7/10 rental game, just don't pay too much for it! xD

3/5

Uncharted 4: Okay, so I followed Jibbyy's recommendation on this because I was genuinely going to skip it. Uncharted trilogy is a fun-ish romp for the story beats and set pieces but the gameplay always felt at an extreme contrast with the story and characters (People bring up the Nathan Drake/Indiana Jones argument but shooting Nazi's during a world war versus a hired group of military men for protecting treasure from thief to thief isn't the same to me). The trilogy was quite shallow in depth, and only got marginally better as the games progressed (my favourite was perhaps 3 where the gameplay started to have less of an identity crisis and more character hankering back to the adventure films, like throwing grenades back, swimming underwater during shootouts, amazing set pieces/pace etc). The gameplay always felt naff to me and out of place though. I'm happy Uncharted 4 continue's to improve and is much much better gameplay wise, but the legacy problems are still there. As the characters have gotten more real/life-like with the last of us-esque tone, the character's motivations in gameplay and absurdness that happens just become that much more annoying.

It's also worth noting with all the Uncharted games is that I've played it on hard difficulty and sadly that mode basically eliminates much of making the more fun aspects of the game viable (getting out of cover often, swinging during combat etc) making for more stale gameplay. I think this kinda adds to some of the problems I have with the games as it makes those issues that much more glaring).

I really enjoyed some of the newer characters though (like Sam) some great set-pieces and I'm glad they brought the swimming sections back. The new stealth is average but welcome, but this game plays it waaay too safe for mechanically. I suppose it just ain't for me or for gamers who expect some more depth (from the likes of gears/splinter cell) it ain't there. It's kinda exhausting to play, which I feel like it should be an exhausting ride but it could've been paced a little better. The open-world segments were cool and I loved the flashback moments, this game is full of highs and lows moments for me. The game ended on a boss fight that was similar to The Order's where it just made the whole thing feel cheap and frustrating. The story was okay, fantastic some moments and sometimes a little forced, a very polarising experience.

Overall, i'm glad I played it, it's an 8/10 objectively but I think the uncharted series/the last of us series just aren't for me. And across many of the sony games coming out I see mechanics that borrow heavily from those series which starts to make the whole thing feel a little bit too familiar and stale (stealth in the bushes in horizon like uncharted 4, the order 1886 having the last of us style hard cuts when dying as quick examples) that's starting to make these western sony IP's feel very formulaic, so i think I'm just going to pass on most of these games as a whole, which is fine because the platform offers so many interesting Japanese exclusives (and some indies) that you don't get on the other platforms.

3/5

Gravity Rush Remastered: GREAT GAME! Love the main hook that is the gravity mechanic as well as the Yakuza-esque open world mixed with the mirror's edge-esque levels of fun time trials. Looking forward to playing the second one, I'm going to give it some time before playing the sequel as I want things to feel fresh again (+ mop up on gold starring every trial and secrets). The story and characters are quirky and a lot of fun, you got great art style, solid performance throughout and really cool story moments. One of my favourites was a certain dream sequence which introduces puzzle platforming.

I'm glad it includes those DLC missions, without them the game would've felt a bit barebones. There are instances where the camera can't quite keep up with you (esp. during intense races) but it occurred very infrequently for me and for the majority of the game it was very solid and responsive). I'd give this game a solid 9, very memorable.

4/5

Up next, I tried playing some of The Last Guardian, can't quite get into it and what it wants you to do and the pace (+ oh man those controls and old-school gameplay logic), especially in this day and age. Wouldn't have minded so much maybe when I was younger but imo the Ico/SoC games of PS3 felt easier for me to get into. Wasn't really impressed with TLG compared to them so far, I'm going to leave it for another day.

I've bought a 1 month PS+, hoping to play Until Dawn which looks great and older PS+ games I've had (the journey which looks awesome too and REmake).

I bought Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls physical collection but I've already played those games on PS3, it's just worth owning especially at the price i managed to get it. Yakuza 0 I'm still avoiding atm (my expectations for that are too wild, I think it's going to be so great but I gotta leave these shenmue-levels of gold dust for a rainy day, we don't often get games like this often) still planning to maybe start at Kiwami first instead. Yakuza 6 demo (from Japanese PSN store) was great fun and looks stunning! Wanted to get Valkyria revolution but likely am going to avoid it like the plague and wait for a major pricedrop after some of those reviews (both from users+media).
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby OL » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:25 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:Looking forward to playing the second one, I'm going to give it some time before playing the sequel as I want things to feel fresh again

That's definitely a good idea. Gravity Rush is quite possibly my favorite new franchise of the past several years, but I still haven't finished the second game because I strangely burnt myself out playing it, all on it's own. There's so much content that I was trying to tackle in it, I can't even imagine trying to play the first game AND the sequel, back-to-back, while also trying to do everything in them. That's a helluva lot of floating and falling.

OL has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 am

@OL thanks for you advice dude, I'm making sure it'll be a while before I approach the sequel.

Completed The Unfinished Swan last week (was super intrigued and it was on sale for £2.50) really enjoyed it. Really interesting Roald Dahl/Terry Gilliam-esque narrative which really left me with a lastly positive/memorable experience (all you can ask for really :), interesting additions of gameplay mechanics throughout and the pace felt really succinct.

At moments I was playing it via remote play on my phone which was a pleasurable experience also. The first chapter or so was was making me really dizzy though.

I still need to play journey, which I have from PS+ once but never had that subscription since. i have a 1 month ps+ code I'll redeem just before the end of this month, hoping to experience it then. I love the different approach that MS and Sony has when it comes to making these big indie games, i'm hoping that sony doesn't stop with this (a little concerned by this with their indie stance as of recent, hopefully that was just dumb PR on their part) they really are wonderful gems.

4.5/5
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Finished a few more games for PS4:

Aragami: I already talked quite a bit about this in the 'What are you currently playing?' thread but to summarise I had a blast playing this game. Nothing like a great hardcore oldfashioned stealth game.

I think if you're a stealth fan who played Dishonoured maybe you wouldn't find as much novelty in this game as it borrows many of the same mechanics. It's a huge shame the technical hurdles commonly associated with the unity engine hold this game back and that the developer was unable to further optimise it.

The game runs well 80% of the time with the occasional judder but for some of the expansive levels the game feels outright unpolished/unfinished with glitches causing you to restart the chapter and sometimes unintentionally getting you caught. If you plan of getting this and have a powerful PC, I'd recommend that over the PS4 version.

The story was intriguing throughout and left me with a nice lasting impression. I really like how it adopts many of the strengtrhs of Splinter Cell: Blacklist where it has a lot of really cool mechanics/tools and rewards certain playstyles (in this case it was ghost, pacifist and killing everyone). Definitely worth picking up if you like stealth and find it for a good price.

4/5

Journey: yeah yeah I'm late on this one :p Really wanted to try this after playing the unfinished swan, and now that i've renewed PS+ it was already there in my install list to play.
I love this game. It looks absolutely beautiful and it tastefully and carefully puts the bare minimum about of scenes together and it just feels very effective. I really like the middle eastern/islamic art influence yet with no words spoken leaves everything completely up to you own interpretation without feeling cheap.
Glad I got around this one, it kinda felt like watching The Snowman when Xmas comes, it'd actually be a great game to play ritually every year imo, it's sort and you come away from it feeling fresh. I certainly did, I think it's because the game is sop quiet yet affects your mood through the visuals and music, it allows you to think deeply and introspectively. Games are cool man.

5/5

Transformers: Devastation a.k.a Platinum Games+Mechs I admit, this was on my PS+ list too and I glanced over it. I then went back to check the description to find out a little bit more about which one it was and indeed it was made by platinum and I installed immediately.

It's basically Metal Gear Rising in a transformers skin (and I'm pretty sure all the menus/interface are identical from both games). I have no nostalgia for Transformers, and I left this game at least appreciating the source material from afar. It's silly and great fun. The way platinum does hack n' slash and embeds quirky mechanics is top quality. I had so much fun playing Gridlock. And the length was great, didn't feel too long and it didn't outstay it's welcome.

4/5

Update: Added scores for my reviews.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 am

HORIZON ZERO DAWN

This is a very impressive free roaming action-adventure game graphically speaking, definitely one the best looking PS4 titles in the current system's library. There are touches of decision making here and there during the missions' narrative, which it's nice as it heightens the sense of immersion even though there's no real impact to the overall game. But the core part of Horizon is definitely the combat, and it's here where I have a problem with it. For such a long game with a level system in place, there is no real sense of progression with Aloy. No matter which skill set I choose to develop and customize Aloy with, from the very prologue til the end of the game every player will simply be doing the same thing in combat: bullet time with bow and arrow and then follow it with a tumbling when the enemy attacks, with pretty much nothing else in between. Rinse and repeat. I really tried a different approach to combat, like successfully taking down a ThunderJaw with melee only on the harder settings. It was simply not enjoyable, as the melee mechanics is too basic and slow aside from the fact all Aloy has as a defensive measure is her tumbling. In the end when the real challenge of the game is giant mechanical animals with predictable attack patterns in vast open fields, and your avatar having as her strongest method of attack a ranged weapon with bullet time capability, repetition is sure to set in real fast. And you will be doing tons and tons of combat in this game. All in all Horizon is not a bad game by any means, but it's not all that what most critics make it out to be IMO.

GOOD 3/5
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Enigma » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:43 pm

SUPER STAR WARS

Platform: SNES
Year: 1992

Review (in-depth):

It's fucking hard!
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby KidMarine » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Enigma wrote: SUPER STAR WARS

Platform: SNES
Year: 1992

Review (in-depth):

It's fucking hard!

Believe it or not, TESB is even harder.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Enigma
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Enigma » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:21 pm

KidMarine wrote:
Believe it or not, TESB is even harder.

Really? *Gulp* I'll be tackling that one next.
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby Sonikku » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm fairly sure the day you beat TESB on Super Nintendo is like the day you seriously become a Jedi in RL.

Sonikku has received 3 thanks from: Enigma, FlagshipFighter, KidMarine
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:16 pm

^ luckily Super Return of the Jedi is much easier, and subsequently the only one I've ever beaten on normal difficulty.

Anyway, I just beat Dragon Quest 1 on IOS. I had beaten the game before on NES but it's been a good 10 years or so. The game is probably the best version of the game by far. Playing the game in short bursts on your phone is the best way to play it, for me at least. Grinding was never an issue because it never felt like I was grinding. I would just explore places, talk to people, and fight along the way. Because it was on my phone I was able to suspend it at anytime and pick it up when I could.

The game is really simple: one character, one enemy at a time, no skill trees, just level and kill the evil Dragonlord. But the simplicity is nice when you just want to play something on the go and not think too hard... in short, it's just fun. All that, plus the nicer sprites/music make it easy to recommend (especially for three dollars).

I've already moved on to Dragon Quest II on IOS and will likely keep playing them in order until I finish them all on IOS or get bored, whichever comes first. Having a good time and it's nice to have a portable game that I'm actually willing to play on the go.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:28 pm

So, I'm gonna try to keep this short.

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

Well, it's a remaster of a PS3 game so graphically it's not top-notch anymore but it still looks good, actually. So basically, this plays like one of the PS3 Uncharted games with more stealth action to avoid zombies, less shooting and less platforming. Gameplay is great and the stealthing is fun.

The story is a lot better than with the first 3 Uncharteds but it's not as great as people seem to be making it out to be. The story is kind of predictable and the character development is not that surprising. Frankly, I didn't find Joel or any of the characters very intersting. Only Ellie was a really remarkable character imho and her character's development kind of was what kept me going throughout the game.

Soundtrack almost isn't there but the little bit of BGM this game gets fits and underlines the athmosphere perfectly.

There are a lot of environments with great atmosphere and some epic action moments. Overall this was a very enjoyable experience even though I sometimes didn't like the extreme brutality. Anyway, I think that's part of the zombie setting, right?

Oh, and also the DLC "Left Behind" was a mixed bag. While good in its own right, I can totally see why Naughty Dog cut the content out of the basic game - other than charging the fans extra money for a "dlc" which would have been part of the regular game, I mean. Sadly, this is how most of developers operate these days. But on top of that, I think it just wasn't necessary and didn't really add anything to the game or its story.

Final verdict: While I probably am not gonna play the second one, The Last of Us still was a worthwhile and entertaining game experience to me.

79/100
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming