Red Dead Redemption

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Oppy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:05 pm

did anyone else receive a DLC voucher with their copy? One of my mates got a speial Dead Eye upgrade outfit, and another got Golden Guns upgrade. Im pissed i didnt get anything.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 pm

^I got the golden guns. Amazon sent it in an email.

Been playing for 3 hours and it is great. Me and some people from work plan to get a posse going.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Oppy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Il join your posse. Add me on live. tag is Oppy89. I just had to restart the game because of a weird fuckin glitch where i got stuck in the ground and couldnt walk.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:24 am

Anyone else finished this yet? What did you think fo the ending?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:49 am

Good but the last ten or so missions killed it a bit. Felt like a tutorial again.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:08 am

I thaught the ending was dissapointing.

I was somewhat dissapointed about the 'showdown' with ducth, all you did was chase him through a mine, it would have been a bit more satisfying if there was a stand off at the least. John Marston bends ass over tit to do everything for those government agents and save his family, stuff that his own morals would not usually alow, and he still gets killed in the end. I know, he used to be a bad guy, but from the conversations he has with NPCs and his character that is represented in the game, he is quite modest and humble, and seeing the ending seems like like your watching a 'bad ending' from a multiple ending game. I know that in this game you had the choice to be a bad ass or a good guy, It would have been better if those descisions effected the ending.. I am also ith Riku about the last few missions, whilst they wernt boring, they certainly dragged on. Also playin as Jack after John dies is pretty annoying, his voice really irritates me, and after getting so atatched to John as the main character, it just seems strange that they move you on to be Jack, a character we have only just known about for the last hour of the game..

I still fucking love the game though, as you can probably tell by my avatar and sig.

Also Riku, did you talk to the guy at black water train station after the ending and find 'You know who'?
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:29 am

[spoiler]The Dutch part was poor, chase him for a few minutes just for him to kill himself. I know his words were supposed to be a warning to john but still.
Hated having to herd cattle again. Hunting was ok but Jack just got on my nerves. Uncle was a waste of time and they could have done more with the wife.
And i agree that Johns ending felt like it should have been the bad ending. It will never happen but i would like it if R* released a 2nd ending that has you take them all out. Did you kill Ross's wife and brother?

Also Jack should be allowed to get with whores ;-) [/spoiler]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:33 am

[spoiler]Yes, I did kill his wife and brother. I didnt really give a fuck about the honour thing after the ending. So other then finishing off stranger missions, I am just fucking around doing all the nasty shit that I tried to reframe from doing with Marston.[/spoiler]
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:30 am

Oppy wrote:Also Riku, did you talk to the guy at black water train station after the ending and find 'You know who'?

Yes I did. Quite liked it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:51 am

Just beat it.
Fucking amazing.
It is, as many a rumbling had suggested during production for it, THE best western game ever made. It met my expectations and actually exceeded them many times over (an extremely rare occurrence). I knew the gameplay would be excellent, but I was surprised to find that this is, to me, the absolute best-written game to ever come out of Rockstar's internal studios. Rockstar has always received accolades for writing, which I've never really understood, as I thought every GTA (yes, EVERY one) had pretty average/sub-par writing. But here, they've successfully managed a huge amount of emotional impact, something completely missing in every GTA I've ever played.
Granted, I hold firm that there are a few small instances where the writing felt a bit lazy (specifically in the Mexico parts; I explained it in the "what games are you playing topic), but overall it has a lot of very clever dialogue and touches upon many important subjects from the beginning of the 20th century. And the

death of John was one of the most affecting death scenes I've ever seen in a videogame. Likewise, though playing as him wasn't quite as great as with John, the moment when you step into Jack Marston's shoes as he stands at his parents' grave site was excellent. Gave me a bit of a shiver, actually.
I agree that the hunt/showdown with Edgar Ross could have been much, much better, but the preceding events were still amazing to me.

Whereas most western videogames take their inspirations solely from schlocky Spaghetti-style westerns (primarily all style, rather than emotional substance), during its most effective parts Red Dead Redemption takes the high road and seems to go with the slightly more respectable Unforgiven-style westerns. The Oscar-winner types.
I have to disagree about the

death of Dutch, though. I didn't mind at all that I didn't have a showdown with him. Everything leading up to it was epic enough that it didn't feel like I was cheated out of anything.
I hated the death of Bill Williamson, as he was barely even fleshed out beforehand, but with Dutch, you meet and converse with him a good amount of times beforehand, so there was plenty of build-up to him giving up and dropping himself off the cliff. It was, if nothing else, a very fitting end. I think it would have ruined the impact of the scene if you were forced to blast him.

Anyway, though, there are about a hundred things I could ramble about on it, but it's mostly all been covered, so I'll just comment on it as subjects come up here.

Just wanna to say that John Marston is the best character to ever come out of Rockstar

and I'm genuinely saddened that we probably wont see him again.
Saddened, but still immensely satisfied.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:02 am

Good stuff OL. I agree that it is the best written stroy out of R*. I dont think the GTA stories are made to be taken seriously though.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 am

Damn! Downloaded the free soundtrack and had it on my iphone. PC then died so i still have it on my phone but it wont let me transfer the tracks to my new pc meaning that ill lose the songs once i sync my phone :cry:
PC died before i had a chance to back up the songs.

Love the track Dead Mans Gun

So was the stranger with no name death or something? Like how he said this is a nice spot on what turns out to be Johns grave. Did read he can be seen in the background during the dead eye moment before John gets killed?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:31 am

^^That's really interesting. I was thinking the guy was either God or the devil at first, but maybe Death would make more sense. I'll have to check out that deadeye part, see if he's actually there.

Oh, and one small thing that I really like about the game: you can replay completed missions any time you want to. I've always thought that was something that was oddly mission from most open-world games, but it's a great addition here. Hopefully more will start including it eventually.

EDIT:

Okay, thinking back on it more, I'd say the "Who are you?" stranger is actually God, not death or the devil. John says "Damn you" to him, and he replies "Many have", a reference to people cursing God's name and/or using the term "god damn". He also says to John that he hopes his (the stranger's) son will grow up to be just like John. In the end, John sacrifices his life, essentially so that his family may live; put the stranger's words in context with that, and it's almost like he's referencing Jesus dying so that others can be forgiven. Add on the moral choices the stranger puts in front of John throughout the game, and it's as if he's testing him, seeing if he's even worthy of Redemption.
For a "mere" side-quest character, his part is awfully deep.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Red Dead Redemption

Postby Bluecast » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:54 am

I want it.
Why? Simple,it's great music and would not mind having the CD as well.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Red Dead Redemption

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:41 am

Vinyl, eh?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS