Top 10 Favorite Games of the Past Decade

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby [mYLES] » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:42 pm

1: Knights of the Old Republic

It had been since the first Shenmue that I did a "Wow" to a game, and this was it for sure! I dont even like Star Wars that much, but played this game through 10 times a least. Didnt enjoy the second installment as much infortunatly.

2: Shenmue II

A disappointing second installment but it was the best we got at the time! Love how huge the game feels. Great new characters.

3: Assassins Creed

Actually playing this again right now. What can I say? Most visually appealing game I've played, and quite entertaining too. The idea is interesting. Combat system is good too, I like the lock on feature.

4: Crimson Skies

Fun fun game. Very different than what I ever played before, with the airplanes and all that. Graphically, fantastic!

5: Ghost Recon

One of my favourite shooting games. Feels very real. Very hard too in my opinion.

6: Splinter Cell

Changed the way I looked at video gaming. Lots of hours with this gem.

Thats all I got time for, I'm at work haha. May update later. But thats my top 6!
[mYLES]
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Absentia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:27 pm

I really can't place the games in a particular order, I'll just say some of my favourite

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

Final Fantasy IX

Ninja Gaiden Black

Call of Duty (the first and the fourth)

Mass Effect

Uncharted 2

Sam and Max: Seasons 1 and 2
Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Clint wrote:I like your list OL, but i'm gonna have to disagree with you on Crisis Core. It's a nice little game on its own, but I think the FFVII Compliation is an insult to the original game.

These prequels/sequels just weren't meant to be. Zack was better off being this mysterious character without a background, IMO. Totally unnecessary.

Fair enough, though I think it's a little harsh saying that it's an insult to the original game. FFVII stands on its own just fine, of course, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for a little extra elaboration. The FFVII universe is so well-fleshed out that, to me, it would have been disappointing if they NEVER bothered to further utilize it. The sequels/prequels in the FFVII Compilation may be unnecessary (due to the fact that FFVII stands so well on its own), but at the same time, they've never felt intrusive to me in the least.
Crisis Core did nothing but add further life to an already lively game universe. The next time I play FFVII (which I'm planning on sometime soon), certain events are going to have even more impact than they did before, just because I've played Crisis Core and know certain characters even better now.
Plus, the fact that CC not only didn't suck, but was actually an excellent game in its own right, is particularly impressive to me, as they very easily could have just made a half-hearted cash-in on the FFVII name.
I agree that we don't actually need a remake anymore, but I still generally enjoy most of the additions that have been layered over the original story.

Anyway, next runner up:

Runner Up - Killer 7 (Gamecube/PS2, 2005)

ImageImage
ImageImage
Killer 7 is no doubt a very divisive game. Some people will love it, while just about everyone else will absolutely hate it.
The people that love it are most likely the ones that understand that it isn't supposed to be a supremely playable game; rather, it's far more about symbolism, aesthetics, and social/political commentary.
The people that hate it... well, chances are they just don't "get it".
Which is absolutely fine. Art is like that much of the time.
The reason I choose it as one of my favorites of the decade is that it is probably the single most complicated game (from a story standpoint) that I've ever played. I still don't understand everything in it. But I still get this incredible urge to analyze it further and try to figure it all out. It is a Suda game, after all, and he never seems to adhere to a traditional presentation style in his games.
Between Killer 7 and Flower, Sun, and Rain, Suda has provided me with more "WTF!?!?!" moments than any other developer out there.
And for that, I thank him.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:53 pm

First and most obviously of all I would have to say I have to mention SHENMUE 2: This game surpassed my expectaions and surprised me in a lot of ways that other games rarley have. where Shenmue gave us a detailed slice of japanese life(yet one we could all relate to) S2 transported me to China with so much authenticity and culture, that I simply have not found in any other game since, it just feels like a world away from S1. An epic, intriguing, and mysterious sequel.

Next is SMT Nocturne:pretty much for the reasons OL stated, cant really say much more about it

Okami: whats not to love about this game, gorgous, endearing and very very entertaining, so many classic moments its just not true, and that martial arts master with the two faces is simply genius. Such an underplayed game, that deserved more attention when it came out

Ill think of the rest later..
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Clint » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Although Shenmue II is one of my personal favourite games, I am going to exclude it from this list. Let's be honest. We all know how good Shenmue is. No need to discuss it here.

On a side note, this list will be in stages, as it's very difficult to complete in the correct order.

--- Clint's Top 10 Games of the Decade ---

10. Dead Space (PS3/360 - 2008)

For the first time since 2001, a near 7 year margin, i've been able to experience a true survival horror game. Dead Space takes every element of what made Silent Hill a rare gem of a game, and turns it on its head completely. This is bigger, better, and a damn sight scarier than anything else available in the current market. And for good reason. Clearly influenced by the sci-fi space/horror movies or its time, Dead Space is actually one of only a few games to utilize this genre so well.

With gorgeous graphics and a perfect third-person camera angle, the stage is set to experience a unique horror game that will have you on the edge of your seat. The atmosphere and overall use of sound surpasses even the very highest standard of video games (MGS4 comes to mind) and along with a top script and stunning level design, it's hard to ignore a game like Dead Space. Truly terrifying.

9. Fallout 3 (PC/PS3/360 - 2008)

I consider myself a bit of a noob to the Fallout series. Never played the first 2 games, but as a big Oblivion fan, I could hardly ignore the third installment could I? 'Oblivion with guns' is what people were calling it. And that was a huge incentive for me to buy the Game of the Year Edition.

What I love about Fallout 3 is the game's trademark blend of humor and violence. And FO3 is a very violent game indeed. Being the Oblivion fan that I am, I was very happy to see that this game had Bethesda's vintage touch. There is no right or wrong way to play this game. You can 'be' whoever you want. 'Go' wherever you want. And 'Do' pretty much whatever the fuck you want.

This is clearly not everyones cup of tea. It takes a few hours to get your head around the games mechanics and i'd be lying if I said you wouldn't be scratching your head about where to take your character. But give it time and you'll grow to love it. The set design is fantastic. And the strangest thing is that you never seem to get bored of the familiar-looking environments. With so much to do, to collect, kill, quest and interact with, it creates a memorable experience in an industry that has long forgotten how to 'spend its time' on video games. Effort was key for Bethesda, and they clearly delivered.

It's downside, however, was its bugs and glitches. But that can be forgiven given the sheer scale of the game. Top stuff.

8. Final Fantasy X (PS2 - 2001)

This game was a grower for me. I played it years ago thinking it was lacking that classic 'FF' feel that i'd previously experienced with 7, 8 and 9. But playing this again last year, I began to realise that I was wrong. Very wrong.

FFX has its flaws. Tidus, being the hero in the game, is incredibly annoying and immature. Whoever did his voice needs shooting. The storyline, like another FF that comes to mind, makes little sense, and the random battles appeared to be tenfold the frequency of it's predecessors. But what FFX has going for it is character development, which at times is fantastic. It's characters in general, such as Auron and Wakka, which are plain badass, and the memorable battles; being the strongest in the whole FF series, IMO.

But what I enjoyed the most about FFX, despite its flaws, is the overall 'feel' of the game. The level design is vast and brilliant. Some of my favourite moments are travellng through the Kalm Lands and spending time in Besaid Island, or even on the many roads you encounter during your journey. And the star of the show for me, isn't Tidus or Yuna. It's Auron. He has by far the best development in the game, especially during the climax of Yuna's pilgrimage. Such a cool character, who you'll grow to love.

It's no FFVII as far as i'm concerned, but it's definitely one of the best games in the modern-day RPG market. And should not be missed.

To be continued.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Tekken 5 - (PS2 2005 - ARC 2004)

Some call it a flawed game. Others think the series already ran its course after 4 and passed on this one. While I do agree 4 is the weakest in the series thus far, you have to be pretty damn stupid not to give this one a try at least.

Been a Tekken fan since the second one. Didn't really grip me until the fantastic third installment. Tekken gets to me not only cause the fighting system is sublime but also because the characters are well-designed and it had a great involving storyline. T3 got pretty much everything right. So right in fact T4 had to come and shit all over it. I thought that was it until I saw the very first trailer of the very much improved T5 fighting system.

Fast forward a year later, I got my hands on a copy and instantly fell in love with it. The fighting was much improved from 4. Somehow they got the system worked out in a way where it felt second nature to input the commands. Most of the overhauled features from 4 were transferred over aside from the Tekken Force mode. And new characters like Feng and Raven were odd but certainly welcome to the roster. Asuka Kazama reintroduced the Kazama style of fighting once more and old favorites were coming back in a big way like Baek Doo San, Wang Jinrei, and Ganryu. The stories were not as strong or captivating like they were in 3 but they were entertaining at least. The CGI cutscenes were pretty damn amazing, including the opening cutscene with Kazuya and Heihachi vs. several JACK-5s.

Probably borrowed from Viruta Fighter, it also included a customization option to add on hats, cosutmes, items, and different costume colors to personalize your favorite fighter. The best feature of them all was the inclusion of the arcade versions of Tekken 1-3. While you can't save anything, it was the best thing ever to be able to play through the older games for free. Sure the extra Devil Jin mini-game thing was crap but that was barely an afterthought compared to all the high quality stuff they jammed in here. If I had any real criticisims aside from the weaker storyline, the fighting system is also not perfect. Fluid, yes. Fun as hell, yes. But its easy to win doing the same cheap move over and over again even with the Advanced CPU and some Tekken Experts. This was something that was improved with the Arcade installments but in a day where DLC and regular updates were not yet readily avaliable to everyone, we were kinda stuck with what we got with the PS2 version.

It's all good though. Tekken 6 can't even hold a candle to the brilliance of T5. Aside from online multiplayer though but really. T6 focuses more on the bullshit campaign mode than the actual fighting. The series is straying for from its roots. At least with T5, they were firmly in place. And loaded with goodies and bonuses. There is no other 3D fighting game I can think of that is close to being this awesome and generous.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Okami
(PS2/Wii) 2006/2008

ImageImage
ImageImage

The year 2006 ended on a bang with 2 great new consoles launching with the PS3 and Nintendo Wii,however maybe the greatest game to come out that year was not on one of these machines at this time it was on an aging Playstation 2.

Clover the developer of this game put everything they had into it and it paid off to review scores and to the people who bought it,however sales did not reach the same praise and Clover was shut down by Capcom.
So what happened,why was this amazing title ignored?
Well as previously mentioned it launched around the same time as two new systems and worse yet Nintendo launched the Wii with a new Zelda game and you played as a wolf.

Okami is basically a Zelda clone and you also play as a wolf.
Did clover on purpose copy the NEW Zelda and should be shrugged off? Yes and no.
While Okami did take many elements from the Zelda series the fact both had a wolf was just one of things that happens.
Okami actually did something most clones don't do,improve on the source inspiration in many ways.
Most notable was the introduction of the celestial brush.
Thhe brush was used as both a tool for puzzles getting to new areas and how you did combat and more by drawing simple shapes or lines or a combo.
For PS2 you used the second analog and Wii you used the Wii remote pointer.
Both games took a little getting used to and the Wii version you used it more since it was faster.

Another thing it improved on was dungeons.
In Zelda you distinctly knew you were entering a big dungeon where okami played a subtle trick in thinking you may be heading to a new area or a dungeon but you didn't know it was a dungeon until either half way through it or met a big boss battle.

Also like Zelda you went into towns interacted with the people did little tasks for them and such but seemed more rewarding with it's charm and humour.
Okami did have a better story(loosely based off Japanese Myth) and more engaging characters esp the protagonist Amaterasu a goddess in wolf form.
The game was engaging and full of personality and charm with great presentation.

Thankfully after many cries from gamers wanting a port to the Nintendo Wii Capcom in 2008 granted the wish. (though some controversy regarding a water mark on the cover and the removal of the clover credits)
Didn't bother me though I got a bunch of free Okami artwork from it and it was one of the reasons I wanted a PS2 but when it came out on the Wii I snatched it up and became obsessed and played it to no end.
It sold more copies than the PS2 game which made Capcom happy enough to make a Prequel for the Nintendo DS coming out later this year.

It's because of Okami I now look more forward from this series than the source game it got inspiration from.

I could go on and on forever about this game as it was not just one of my top fave games of the last decade but for all time.
I really think if you enjoy Zelda you would love this and I didn't get into the amazing use of stylish visuals but like I said I could go on forever how amazing this game is.

(Apologies for bad grammar but hopefully I still got my point across)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:16 pm

One from the original Xbox now: Unreal Championship

Never been into PC games before since I never owned a PC decent enough to play any of the latest and greatest games on their release. Unreal looked very much like a 'hardcore' nerdish type of game. Mostly from pre conceptions I had of people playing Quake and Doom, Unreal just seemed more of the same. I got this game when I joined Xbox Live. Immediately accessible and huge customisation in terms of matches and gametypes and their rules. My favourite was 150% speed, no adrenaline, Instagib-mode. I still remember playing that game late with my German Xbox Live friends and waking my mum up countless times laughing too much in the middle of the night. Once whilst playing with an American girl, I finished playing at 7am. My eyes were blurry and had a sort of motion lag when looking left and right. Made some great friends on that game and I only wish it was possible to stay in more touch with the two people who have lasted on my contact list..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:44 pm

No More Heroes (Wii, 2007)

First off I wanna beat Ryudo to the punch. And Ryu, you're totally lying to yourself if you say you don't mean to place this one your list. :P

I liked Killer7, which was one of the infamous exclusive Capcom 5. It was weird and unsettling but tremendously captivating for those exact reasons. While I can go on and on about the ill-fated history of the shattered Capcom/Nintendo relationship and how great two of the other games from the quintuplet were, that's not what this is about. What this is about it Suda's mainstream claim to fame. After Killer7, I was looking forward to the next crazy game he was making. Turned out the next game wasn't gonna be as crazy, not political/social commentary or mind warping moments. Just good ol' fun. I was up for that. The Wii was pretty dry at the time and Smash Bros. was losing its luster. I figured, why not? I'll give this a try. And I did. It was great stuff.

Sure its not a perfect experience. Its really repetitive and basically boils down to a random series of events with no real meaning, conflict, or goal in mind. But sometimes its okay to be stupid. In NMH's case, its wonderfully captivating and stylish even if it is all random. It all boils down to the characters. I firmly believe character design and development make or break the final product. The story can be dumb, the direction can be mediocre or awful, the dialogue can be so-so, but if you like the characters...its a done deal regardless. That's the stuff cult hits are made of. I really liked Travis Touchdown. So much in fact, I used him and his motel as the basis to the setting and personality to my own main character in a movie script i'm currently working on (or still working on for the two who read it already). Sure he's an idiot, he can't get pussy, and overall he's a hopeless okatu dork. But you like him anyway. He's funny and you like to see what he's capable of doing and saying next.

The other characters like Shinobu, Sylvia, and Henry are a joy to watch as well. Even the lesser characters with 1 minute of screentime were entertaining. With the only real complaint I have is that you just don't see enough of them. It's just one of those games where the experience > the gameplay. But the elements in the game aren't bad by themselves. Slashing your lightsaber type weapon is fun and performing wrestling moves at random times started to snazz things up a bit more. The soundtrack is great as well with the main theme being the catchiest ever in a videogame. Some people think of the Chocobo Theme for FF, some the Mario Bros. Theme for Mario. NMH? That simple little beat immeditately plays in my head faster than either of those two. I beat the original too many times to admit. While some of the more nitpicky things like driving from point a to point b were starting to get to me, they didn't discourage me to put down the Wiimote. And its pretty much the only reason why I still have a Wii, so all things considered it earned my place for the entire decade as far as i'm concerned. No game still lingers in my memory as much as this and i'm still scraping up my pennies to buy the sequel i'm long overdue on.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:27 pm

For as much as ages of yore represent to me, the 128bit generation just comes across as the best yet, with variety, depth and above all, the most ambitious projects ever heralded. As such it was incredibly difficult narrowing down this list.

Katamari Damacy – the genius debut from Keita Takahashi, Katamari is a superb exercise in surrealism. A simple concept with fantastic execution, it is without question a special game. I fear it might have been surpassed by Takahashi’s more recent Noby Noby Boy, but unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to fully explore it yet :(
The world is indeed my own playground.

Virtua Tennis 2 – quite possibly my favourite arcade game, it synthetizes the core arcade values of replayability, accessibility, depth and of course fun. A game I have never tired of, and probably never will.
Man, I hate doubles matches!

The Path – being the latest of these games it might come as the least mentioned. Overcoming the hardships of being an independent release, it presented an unforgettable experience, and I can safely say it was the only game that really disturbed me. Lackadaisical and enthrancing, the path takes us through a dream we long to finish and revisit. A masterpiece that can keep me talking for days, deep as the forest you trek through.
This game has several characters, none more important than the one pictured.

Disaster Report/Raw Danger – coming from the unlikeliest of sources, seminal arcade developer Irem, these two games marked a healthy return into action/adventures, putting up a casual and welcomed hommage to Ico’s themes, while introducing real survivor situations, always an interesting theme. They’re varied, creative and fresh, the only downfall being the oft convuluted and off the wall stories, but they still managed to imprint an everlasting impression on me.
Keeping yourself dry is a big part of DR and RD's gameplay.

Ico – the greatest hommage to the action/adventure games of old like Another World and Prince of Persia, it gave us gamers a fascinating insight into human condition, braving through such complex ideas as non-verbal communication, solitude and cooperation in society and significant love, all through a marvelous rendition of the worlds of Georgio di Chirico.
Fumito Ueda's touch: just how much can holding hands mean?

Shadow of the Colossus – because it represents the epithome of game design, the most brilliant example of evolution within the medium, going far and beyond pong and chess, the true and definite masterpiece of the medium.
SotC's story starts very much like Zelda II's.

RezTetsuya Mizuguchi’s masterpiece, Rez defies definition. Being so much more than just a music game, it’s a game about the human condition itself, in fact, it delves upon what great writers and philosophers have been aiming at, from the teachings of Buddha to Darwin and Thoreau. To mesh it with a very compelling musical skin that gets visual inspiration from Kandinsky and alumni made it into one of the definite pieces of the decade.
Rez's hard to reach, Eden-like final stage.

Yakuza/Yakuza 2 – just because they represented the rebirth of SEGA’s big projects, rising above the early and unfair Shenmue and GTA comparisons, they established one of the most compelling series in the japanese scene. One of the greatest insights into modern Japan avaiable on ANY medium.
Yakuza's realism comes from a realistic product placement with real brands filling stores and bars.

Chibi-Robo – this is a little gem that just has so much love and detail put into it, works at so many levels that it’s hard to not consider it. A very complete game, with a fun quest and endearing atmosphere.
Chibi-Robo's original save-spot: an electric outlet. "Man, Drake Redcrest rocks!!!"

Warioware – for me this game represents both past and future. A flawless piece of game design, it’s stretched far beyond gimmick and taken a simple concept, with one- or two-button gameplay into little gems that maintain freshness and addictiveness, are perfect for the core handheld player, with a fantastic nostalgic feel, japanese quirk, and might just have kickstarted the indie-game scene modern mentality of little games with a lot of soul.
Warioware inputs several ingame references to Nintendo's own classics

It goes without saying that Shenmue 2 tops this list. After all it probably is my favourite game.

Additionally I'll mention some other games that have caught my eye but for one reason or another (not enough play, good but not good enough, haven't completed, etc) didn't make the 10:
Cosmic Smash, vibRibbon, Space Channel 5, Ikaruga, The Void, Boku no Natsuyasumi 2, Tokyo Bus Guide, God Hand, Silent Hill 2, Ôkami, RE4, Far Cry 2, KOTOR, GTAIV, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Braid, Animal Crossing, Roomania #103, Doshin the Giant, Portal, Half Life 2, Prey, SuperMonkeyBall, Fahrenheit, Electroplankton, Pacman CE, Space Invaders Extreme, MGS3, Shadow of Memories, flOw, Way of the Samurai...
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:45 pm

I don't know why but I like Vyse's post the best so far.

It just looks so visually appealing the way he lined up the listing and while there's only a couple of sentences per game they're enough to compel me to try the ones I haven't played yet and revisit the ones I already have.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Just like OL has Technicolor Bro. below his name instead of member Vyse should have Godfather of Games. As for member I find it offensive it feels like im being called... well a penis.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Kenny™© wrote:I don't know why but I like Vyse's post the best so far.

It just looks so visually appealing the way he lined up the listing and while there's only a couple of sentences per game they're enough to compel me to try the ones I haven't played yet and revisit the ones I already have.

...you don't prefer my "four same-size screenshots and extra-sized title header in orange text" setup...?
But I worked so hard on it...

:cry:
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 pm

I give you a gold star. Here you go.

*pats head*
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:37 pm

:D
OL happy!

Runner Up - Phantom Dust (Xbox, 2004)

ImageImage
ImageImage
Phantom Dust was originally developed internally at Microsoft Game Studio's Japanese branch. After the game was finished however, Microsoft decided the game wasn't appealing enough for American audiences and refused to publish the game itself in the US.
Those fucking idiots.
Luckily, Majesco saw the appeal of the game and decided to pick it up (just as they did with another absolute gem of the past decade, Psychonauts), releasing it at the budget price of $19.99. And thank god they did.
Phantom Dust is all about collecting telekinetic abilities and utilizing them intelligently in battle. Many have likened it's power-collecting aspects to being like a mature version of Pokemon's collection system, which isn't entirely off-base.
I've always been pretty enthusiastic when it comes to the idea of telekinetic beings fighting epic, world-shattering battles, and Phantom Dust is one of the very few things that has ever done that completely right, in my mind. Flashy energy blasts, 500-foot jumps, super-destructible environments... it's all there.
It's even got the much-ignored custom soundtracks feature that should have been more prevalent in Xbox games.
The graphics are also some of the best on the original Xbox, not only showcasing amazingly stylish character designs, but also exhibiting technical quality almost akin to early 360 games.
Though it was seemingly developed more with multiplayer in mind, the single-player campaign is still incredibly lengthy, exciting, and satisfying, presenting what is in all honesty one of my very favorite post-apocalypse stories ever. And the game no doubt has one of my favorite endings ever as well, throwing some truly mind-fucking twists at you.
This game was very, very, very close to making it on to my initial top 10 list. I almost feel bad about leaving it off, but at least it gets a fitting tribute here.
If you haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and find a copy now. It begins a tad slow, with quite a lot of "tutorial" missions to start things off, but it all pays off in the end.
Along with Dawn of Dreams, Phantom Dust is truly one of the most under-appreciated games of all time.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming