Fist Of The North Star

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 pm

OL wrote:I was interested in it a while back (hell, I was actually the first one to start a topic on it when it was first announced), but ever since I saw gameplay footage of it where EVERY SINGLE ENEMY pulsated and exploded when they were defeated... something about that just turned me off from it. Not because of the gore, mind you. In fact, it almost felt like there wasn't enough gore when they exploded. It's just that it seemed like an incredibly cheap way to make bodies disappear, and it got really old after about the fifth time (in a long string of maybe 30 enemies).
It was little touches like that that just made it seem kind of cheaply-made, almost like a budget title.

I might have just not been in the right mood when I saw it. In all likelihood somewhere down the line I'll be interested again (maybe when the price goes down it'll be an impulse buy for me).
But it's definitely fallen off of my radar as one of those "OMG first-day buy!!!" kinds of games.

But God Hand wasn't violent at all, and the company have gone on record to say they're making the Western release far more violent.

http://www.destructoid.com/western-fist ... 9137.phtml
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 pm

I wasn't comparing it to God Hand. God Hand is great, and it has a pretty high level of almost Capcom-like polish to it.
I just think FotNS looks a little too budgety for me to get excited over it.

And Kyodai... God of War?
Really?
It looks nothing like God of War. More like an ultra-violent Dynasty Warriors.
Besides, GoW was a Devil May Cry ripoff to begin with, so I always think it's funny when people call something a "GoW ripoff".
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Yeah. I also find it amusing when people call things a "Gears of War rip-off" when Resident Evil 4 came first.

And I never let budgets of a game get in my way of enjoyment. Not every game can have that extra "polish" that others do. There's far more shit high-budget stuff out there, than there is bad low budget games. Just my opinion.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:43 pm

OL wrote:I wasn't comparing it to God Hand. God Hand is great, and it has a pretty high level of almost Capcom-like polish to it.
I just think FotNS looks a little too budgety for me to get excited over it.

And Kyodai... God of War?
Really?
It looks nothing like God of War. More like an ultra-violent Dynasty Warriors.
Besides, GoW was a Devil May Cry ripoff to begin with, so I always think it's funny when people call something a "GoW ripoff".

Beam Katana was ripped off Spaceballs which as we know was a Spoof on star wars.
So it's a rip off of a rip off.
:lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:45 am

Does this have anything to do with the game of the same name that was released on the NES. That one was absolute trash. It was a sidescroller and all you could do was punch forward. That was it. And then after you defeat the final boss there is no ending. It just let's you roam around the last level freely. Nothing happens.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Oppy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:15 am

^Never played that one.

I love the anime, but this looks prettly low budget. and it uses the Dynasty Warriors engine, so it wont be anything new gameplay wise.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:40 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:Does this have anything to do with the game of the same name that was released on the NES. That one was absolute trash. It was a sidescroller and all you could do was punch forward. That was it. And then after you defeat the final boss there is no ending. It just let's you roam around the last level freely. Nothing happens.

No it has to do with the Anime.
The reason some of us are excited about this game is not the anime(never seen it) It looks very similar in gameplay to Godhand from Clover Studios Capcom.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:35 am

Bah, you know what?
I take back the stuff I was saying before. I was watching videos of it just now, and it actually looks like I'd have fun with it. Still think the exploding enemies are dumb (I always thought he had to do a special move for that?), but it looks just fine. No reason for me to say anything against it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:22 pm

It is a great game, surely, for what it is.

It is a great piece of news, it coming to the west.

I will, sooner or later, be grabbing a copy of it with a smile on my face.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Re: Fist Of The North Star

Postby Tuffty » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:17 am

WATA!! WAAAAA-ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATAT

*10 mins later*

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATAT-WAAAAATAAAAAA!!!!

Like the anime, it's a bit of mindless fun and totally ridiculous to see a guy who can and does, make peoples heads explode with his fists. The game, looks alright. I guess. It all looks rather clunky though. To go from Bayonetta, where you can cancel any move during animation to this where, if you miss, you have to wait for the animation to finish before you reposition yourself to the enemy, is a bit silly I guess. Not that every action game has to be like Bayonetta, but certainly Kenshiro looks slow and bulky when he should be throwing out those moves a little faster.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Oppy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:22 am

^Whos that in your sig? shes fucking gorgeous.

And Im going to a mates place tomorrow night for drinks, he bought this recently and says its pretty awesome, I will play it if i can get a chance.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 am

Its a Dynasty Warriors game, its not innovative but its mindless fun. lol I hope Kyodai was jokin because God of War is essentially a ripoff of games like DMC, Castlevania and Bezerk. Its not exactly polished, its not incredibly well made its just fun.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Tuffty » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:19 am

Oppy wrote:^Whos that in your sig? shes fucking gorgeous.

Ayaka Kimura, now retired J-Pop singer. And I agree, she's stunning! =P~

And this is why you never ever mess with Kenshiro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlFqL72iV0
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ri_oh » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 am

Just tried the demo for ps3. I love it. It has a dynasty warriors feel like mentioned, but a classic brawler feel too. I knew of the anime, but have never seen it. Anyway, I was looking forward to Splatterhouse this November, but the more I see of that game compared to this my purchase is obvious. Very pleasantly surprised. Though I do usually prefer brawlers with deeper fighting systems (Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta), this is just so fun. Has a real classic charm to it.
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Tuffty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I tried the demo too and you know what, I really liked it. The combat feels 'heavy' and I mean it in a good way. It feels like very punch and kick is being thrown out. I was afraid after watching many videos of this that the action/gameplay would feel extremely slow but fortunately, this doesn't appear to be the case, the fighting system has a definitive weight to it compared to most "1 Vs 1000" titles out there which suits it very well (after all, you wouldn't like Ken and Co. jumping around like weightless monkeys now, would you?) Reminds me more like an old school beat em up, like your Streets of Rage and Final Fights, then modern ones like DW or Ninety Nine Nights.

Besides, how awesome is it to just do the Hundred Crack Punch on a crowd of dudes? I admit, I mimic the punches being thrown as it happens XD
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming