Sequels That Should Be Made

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Sequels That Should Be Made

Postby OL » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Inspired by the GT list, obviously.
I'm sure we've all got games or series that we think have been unfairly ignored by developers over the years, and that deserve a comeback or a new sequel. Or hell, even ideas for spinoffs that you think could work really well.
Name them here. Even better, go into detail about how they could be improved using today's technology.

First up for me is Actraiser.

ImageImage

The first Actraiser was a pretty original game. For anyone unfamiliar, it combined standard platforming action with simulation-like city-building. You played as God (though I think you just get referred to as "The Master") and in the simulation parts, you control a cherub servant of The Master, who is pretty much used as your cursor in surveying the landscape (he can also fire arrows to fight back attacking monsters). You basically have to manipulate the world and its elements in order to allow your followers to thrive and expand their civilizations. Monsters are constantly attacking as the societies expand, however, so at certain points, you send a warrior down into the monsters' lair to defeat them (in action platforming style).
It was a really cool mix, and an excellent concept to begin with. It received a sequel on the SNES, but it totally nixed the world simulation parts in favor of more sidescrolling action parts (which were pretty damn hard).
With today's technology, a game just like the original could be amazing. The simulation parts could still use a cherub/angel flying through the sky to act as your avatar, engaging in combat and issuing orders to the people on the ground; I picture it as being a bit like the aerial combat in a ZOE game, but with an "aim-and-click" system for issuing orders.
And the assaults on the monsters' lairs could easily be handled using the standard style for melee action these days, something like DMC or GOW. Or, hell, even something a bit like the combat in Twilight Princess.
Last edited by OL on Tue May 25, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Not going to start with some big deep game.reasons why it needs one.

Pilot Wings.

Good on SNES,was awesome on N64 and was promised a new game way back in 2000..10 years later nothing.
For anyone familiar with the franchise it's pretty obvious why now is the perfect time for another entry,no game better than to use motion than this game.
Make it you fucking pricks!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:11 pm

^^You actually have a good point. As much as I usually don't like motion controls, it would work really well for Pilot Wings.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby LawXiu » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:57 pm

First game that springs to mind is Shadow of memories. I'd love to see a sequel or spinoff.

LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Aaaaand... why should they do it? How could they improve on it?
(I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, I'm just trying to keep the topic from just having a bunch of randomly-named games. It's one thing to name a game and explain why it should have a sequel, and it's something else to just mention a random game you like)
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:14 pm

I agree with Pilot Wings, I played the hell out of the 64 version.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby LawXiu » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:15 pm

^I haven't had the time today and was in a rush earlier.

I wouldn't say the game needs improving but the game was about time travel and multiple endings. They could start the game off from any point and add any twist they liked.

As for a spinoff there was a lot of characters that could be used, just can't remember their names right now.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Sequel to 1080 Avalanche.

1080 only has two games to its name and Avalanche was pretty solid. Would love it they made it like Amped 3, huge environments and a story compaign mode. From what little they revealed in the game manual (cause really that's the only place where they even mention the story and characters) it looked like it could've had a decent story. If they ever make another one, more emphasis on the characters and their determination to be the best snowboarder in the world would make some interesting 'bouts in gameplay.

Avalanche had a solid soundtrack even though it mostly composed of emo and generic alternative rock. But the Squidd tracks were awesome. If they had a soundtrack with ONLY that music, it'd be killer. If it was released on the Wii, it might have some gimmicky control functions but i'd love to see it happen.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:52 pm

^You just know it would be on the Wii Fit board.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 pm

I still want that actually.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Riku wrote:^You just know it would be on the Wii Fit board.

Not like it would be asking you to flip it around and shit like TH ride.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Oppy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Back in the day i always wanted a MGS2 Spin off. where you would play as snake/Pliskin in the big shell instead of raiden. I did like raiden as a character, it just would have been interesting to see what happens during snakes part of the story.

We also need another real Tenchu game. Tenchu z was pretty disgusting.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Oppy wrote:
We also need another real Tenchu game. Tenchu z was pretty disgusting.

Tenchu Shadow Assassins was released last year on PSP/Wii from the same people who did the originals on PSone.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/950/950645p1.html
Last edited by Bluecast on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:58 pm

There just needs to be a new Abes oddworld game... that was the game that got me into games.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Oppy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:04 pm

Ok wow. Didnt know that. But i still think we need a tenchu game for the xbox 360 and ps3. Im dredding the idea of using motion controls with tenchu.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Next

Return to General Gaming