Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Mr shakedown took 10 billion from me and said it was peanuts...
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby myshtuff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Just did the sidequest where you help out a dominatrix. Holy shit I was laughing my ass off haha.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:59 pm

myshtuff wrote: Just did the sidequest where you help out a dominatrix. Holy shit I was laughing my ass off haha.

You middle aged man!
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:29 pm

YES! I fucking beat Mr. Shakedown on my third attempt playing as Majima! Got my money back plus interest (and the substory closure). Well chuffed. I recommend people use the Thug fighting style along with weapons like the Pole or shotgun then get some free shots whilst he is on the ground and then follow it up with a HEAT move, also just keep chugging on drinks to maximise your HEAT. Some say this is cheating but he will literally knock you over and then stomp on your head and instantly win against you so, he deserves it.

Not beaten Mr. Shakedown with Kazuma yet (still only on Chapter 4). I'm doing every single substory this time around so my progress is slow as molasses because of that.

That Iwao Bridge substory with Suda though, my god that was not easy. Dunno how I would have done it without the shotgun. Must have completed like 30-40 substories by now and only on Chapter 4. All that means hopefully that I can just concentrate entirely on the main narrative later on into the game since I've gone full OCD with the side quests now since they are all so good. Definitely the best variety of substories yet I think: dating, helping with movie production, fight training, infiltrating cults, training a dominatrix, using the UFO Catcher crane machine to get gifts for a little girl, catching thieves who stole a video game, dancing competitions, helping street performers, getting a forgery of jewellery, helping perverts get their goodies back, helping a homeless guy not get assassinated by hitmen... the list goes on and on. Honestly, how do they come up with all of this shit? lol.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:50 am

Jesus christ someone has already gotten the platinum trophy in yakuza 0 and it hasn't even been out for a week yet. Even if it was a reviewer that got it a few days in advance considering you probably need 100 hours or more to get the plat you would need to play the game over 10 hours a day to get it.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Monkei » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:29 am

^ Yeah, those people exist I guess. : D

south carmain wrote: Mr shakedown took 10 billion from me and said it was peanuts...

Lmao. I think that's something I sincerely hope will never happen to me. :lol:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:56 am

Well I won it back but still that was pretty insulting lol he told me after I beat him that he's off to train in space...
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:09 am

Does Mr Shakedown randomly relocate somewhere on the map when you load the game? Yesterday I spotted Shaky around the corner. I saved the game at the nearest phone booth because I had to catch the subway. Then I went back to the game this morning, loaded the save stat and I was looking forward to another fierce battle but Shaky McShakes was gone. :evil:

But I'm certain I saw him there. I noticed the random thugs disappear when you save the game while they're running after you but Shaky wasn't following me, at least I didn't notice he was. What happened?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:19 am

Yeah I saved when he was sleeping in public park number 3 then when I reloaded he was sleeping in front of a building but the number of places he sleeps in are limited so if you don't see him walking around its pretty easy to find him once you know them.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Hahaha, the side missions again. Gotta love the sect side mission. Still have their fucking "shooreh pippi" chant ringing in my ears. :mrgreen:

Only in chapter three, trying not to miss any side missions but this already looks like the best Yakuza game so far. Love the 80s vibe, the classic characters, the awesome fighting system and the shitloads of side missions. Mr Shakedown, anyone. It's this kind of hate-love thing, you know. Kind of reminds me of the gang busters in the original games, always after Kiryu. You hate this guy for being so tough but he also kind of becomes your "favorite enemy". That type of thing. And it feels so rewarding to beat, every time you make it.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: YES! I fucking beat Mr. Shakedown on my third attempt playing as Majima! Got my money back plus interest (and the substory closure). Well chuffed. I recommend people use the Thug fighting style along with weapons like the Pole or shotgun then get some free shots whilst he is on the ground and then follow it up with a HEAT move, also just keep chugging on drinks to maximise your HEAT. Some say this is cheating but he will literally knock you over and then stomp on your head and instantly win against you so, he deserves it.

Not beaten Mr. Shakedown with Kazuma yet (still only on Chapter 4). I'm doing every single substory this time around so my progress is slow as molasses because of that.

That Iwao Bridge substory with Suda though, my god that was not easy. Dunno how I would have done it without the shotgun. Must have completed like 30-40 substories by now and only on Chapter 4. All that means hopefully that I can just concentrate entirely on the main narrative later on into the game since I've gone full OCD with the side quests now since they are all so good. Definitely the best variety of substories yet I think: dating, helping with movie production, fight training, infiltrating cults, training a dominatrix, using the UFO Catcher crane machine to get gifts for a little girl, catching thieves who stole a video game, dancing competitions, helping street performers, getting a forgery of jewellery, helping perverts get their goodies back, helping a homeless guy not get assassinated by hitmen... the list goes on and on. Honestly, how do they come up with all of this shit? lol.

Ugh, they call him "Mr. Shakedown," now?

Anyways, the way to beat him without losing any cash is simple: grab a bat/item that has same heat action as bat (or slugger style with majima), bring some tauriners with you, then heat action, stomp once or twice, tauriner, heat action, stomp, etc. Just keep repeating.

Made the money-making aspect VERY easy and the more you beat him, the higher the amounts are paid out.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the game, it was so much fun when it came out, I hope I'll enjoy it just as much in English (when my copy comes in, stupid CBS).

Wanted to ask, BTW, "Bubble," isn't the theme for the game anymore, right? Considering they've removed all of the licensed themes for the past games, I would be very surprised if it made it in.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Yup, equipping weapons and using HEAT is the trick to beating all of the Mr.Shakedown characters. And nope, Bubble is not in the Opening at all, it's been replaced by one of Hidenori Shoji's in-game BGM instead. Speaking of which, i think this might be the best OST that Shoji has done for the series yet. Really tempted to buy the OST now, Majima's battle themes are so hype inducing:

phpBB [video]

Wouldn't mind to see some sort of collab project between Shoji Meguro (Persona, SMT series composer) and Hidenori Shoji (Yakuza series, Spikeout, F-Zero GX composer) one day, they make great electronic guitar + synth keyboard music. The music of Yakuza immediately makes me think of the good old days of SEGA.

Really taking my time with this game and soaking it all in, this is the closest Yakuza has gotten to Shenmue (and surpassed in some ways) with how many mini games there are to do now, I love how the substories happen organically now with you walking about discovering these hidden scenes.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Himuro » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:24 pm

One time I beat up these goons and all of a sudden Mr. Shakedown starts walking down the alley. I lost my shit and ran for it. Love the character.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:27 pm

For people that have played Yakuza 2; yes, it is who you think it is.

Ash has received a thanks from: Himuro
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:29 pm

Himuro wrote:One time I beat up these goons and all of a sudden Mr. Shakedown starts walking down the alley. I lost my shit and ran for it. Love the character.

What I hate the most about him is that he isn't really that hard to fight but one mistake can be unforgiving making you want to karate chop your controller out of frustration as he crushes your head defeating you instantly.
Ash wrote:Image

For people that have played Yakuza 2; yes it is who you think it is.

My favourite cameo is young Dojima, cheeky little shit.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming