Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:46 am

So the reason is a graveyard scene? In that case they both copied it from Saving Private Ryan.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 am

^^Must be.
Yeah, just because there's a graveyard scene after an ambiguous possible death doesn't mean one was inspired by the other. This reminds me of not too long ago, someone saying the same thing about Shenmue and Uncharted, just because there was a scene in Uncharted 2 with Asian people, a brown jacket, and a soccer ball (oh, I'm sorry, a foot ball). The person was alleging with such high fucking hopes that Uncharted 2 must have been inspired by Shenmue just because of those elements in a particular scene, even though they were obviously unrelated.

Just because there are similarities between two things (very, very vague similarities) doesn't mean that one was inspired by the other.
You can say "I'm not saying he ripped it off, he was just inspired by it" all you want, but you're still alleging that Kojima swiped his ideas from another game, when it quite obviously isn't the case. There's a graveyard scene at the end of MGS4 because it was appropriate. It fit the game. It wasn't because Kojima played Yakuza 2 and said "what a great ending, I'm gonna do my game like that!"
That's ridiculous.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:42 am

He must of played some fucked up games before putting together MGS2 then. :lol:
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Mythical Being » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:19 pm

I've never played Yakuza before before but I downloaded the demo tonight and boy it seemed old school. I could not get into the gameplay at all, it seemed so stale.

I really want to play this game. It should be perfect. Japanese, inaccessible to the casual gamer, good story. I just could not like the demo though, I switched it off after not long.

Should I get this game or has my chance to ever play Yakuza faded with time?
Mythical Being
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:40 pm

OL wrote:^^Must be.
Yeah, just because there's a graveyard scene after an ambiguous possible death doesn't mean one was inspired by the other. This reminds me of not too long ago, someone saying the same thing about Shenmue and Uncharted, just because there was a scene in Uncharted 2 with Asian people, a brown jacket, and a soccer ball (oh, I'm sorry, a foot ball). The person was alleging with such high fucking hopes that Uncharted 2 must have been inspired by Shenmue just because of those elements in a particular scene, even though they were obviously unrelated.

Just because there are similarities between two things (very, very vague similarities) doesn't mean that one was inspired by the other.
You can say "I'm not saying he ripped it off, he was just inspired by it" all you want, but you're still alleging that Kojima swiped his ideas from another game, when it quite obviously isn't the case. There's a graveyard scene at the end of MGS4 because it was appropriate. It fit the game. It wasn't because Kojima played Yakuza 2 and said "what a great ending, I'm gonna do my game like that!"
That's ridiculous.

Im not sayin its a bad thing, but the way the final fights in those two games played out is very similar(on the rooftops with no shirts on, even the way the characters slug it out in the end, I think snake and liquid even punch each other at the same time in the end just like the characters in Y2 do, and other little things)

Like I said I dont think its a bad thing but I think it did inspire kojima a lil bit maybe, but he did not do rip off at all or anything like that
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:59 pm

People have had a fight on a roof before Matrix and Shenmue II come to mind.

Mythical Being wrote:Should I get this game or has my chance to ever play Yakuza faded with time?

Like what has been said in this thread already the battle system is something you need to know so will grow on you. I'd say try the first Yakuza if you can since it's pretty cheap and then if you like it you can play the series in order.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 pm

OMFG Tokyo Beat Down ripped off Shenmue!

It had a boss in chinese styled robe you fight ona rooftop! THOSE BASTARDS!

But I am the only one here who played that amazing beat em up but now that I find out it ripped Shenmue off with a rooftop fight..TO HELL WITH IT!
:mad:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:54 am

Guess my chance to play yakuza 3 will have to wait.

I never really kept up with the ps3 but I learned that they are in high demand.2 Target stores I checked were sold out,Gamestop,Radioshack,Bestbuy,and ToysRus were also out.Hell,even sonystyle.com don't have any units.

The only place that have them is Frys,they only carry refurbished fat ps3s though,should I go ahead and get a fat one or just wait it out?
Last edited by Samanosuke Akechi on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby ys » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:58 am

Strange. Over here there's always a few consoles (or bundles) available at the stores. So I thought that the sales were moderate because of that.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:03 am

The employees I talked to all mentioned God of War 3.Considering some big name exclusives are being released,I can see why some retailers have shortages.

Still,I wished sony was better prepared for this.I used to see them EVERYWHERE when I didn't want a ps3.Now that I do,they are sold out.I find it odd that it has been in the market 3 years and just now experiencing shortages? :???:
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:08 am

Samanosuke Akechi wrote:The employees I talked to all mentioned God of War 3.Considering some big name exclusives are being released,I can see why some retailers have shortages.

Still,I wished sony was better prepared for this.I used to see them EVERYWHERE when I didn't want a ps3.Now that I do,they are sold out.I find it odd that it has been in the market 3 years and just now experiencing shortages? :???:

They're doing it deliberately because of some component changes that are cheaper to manufacture.

How much was the refurbished fat PS3? If the harddrive is less than 40GB, I wouldn't bother. (Scrap that, unless you want the added cost of a larger harddrive. But you'll have to install it yourself..)
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:17 pm

I can buy an 80 gig refurbished ps3 for about $250.I can buy that and have enough for both the system and the game or just buy a ps3 slim and wait to get the game until later.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Samanosuke Akechi wrote:I can buy an 80 gig refurbished ps3 for about $250.I can buy that and have enough for both the system and the game or just buy a ps3 slim and wait to get the game until later.

How much do new slims cost compared to the $250 for the fat 80GB? If you really want the PS3, at this point, just for Yakuza 3, I'd say go for the cheaper option. My 40GB fat is sufficient enough for me and I've had it and loads of games for well over a year now. Not even filled up half of the HDD in it's lifetime.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Samanosuke Akechi wrote:The employees I talked to all mentioned God of War 3.Considering some big name exclusives are being released,I can see why some retailers have shortages.

I was at the store today to pre-order Yakuza 3 and saw a couple of consoles behind the counter. Most of them bundles actually.
Maybe they're sold out because there lots of great/big games coming out around this month?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:29 pm

ys wrote:

I was at the store today to pre-order Yakuza 3 and saw a couple of consoles behind the counter. Most of them bundles actually.
Maybe they're sold out because there lots of great/big games coming out around this month?

Possibly.

I just find it odd that the ps3 has shortages in the states even after being 3 years out on the market.

Guess I'll just wait until April.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming