Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Peter wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: The problem i had with walking around town is every 10 steps someone runs at you to start a fight.

THANK YOU!!!

Can i just state for the record that this is why i stopped playing the Yakuza franchise!! It was annoying to begin with, but see when your at a serious/pivotal point in the story and you have to get from one location to another to continue it and you get this shite on every every street after some random NCP runs at you....... it was like going though a Shenmue inspired 70 man battle encounter whilst trying to get the next entry in the notebook. Absolutely unnecessary and ruins the games IMO :???:

I always found them easy to avoid if I wanted to. You can usually tell who wants to fight because they are squatting like they need to shit bad and looking side to side. When you run past them just make sure your as far away as possible. I was able to get from one side of the map to the other without one fight doing this.

Dorian wrote:I'm sorry, Peter, but it seems you simply don't like video games per se.

Damn Peter for not liking one game. He must hate them all. Geez Dorian by this logic you must be Jack Thompson.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Riku Rose wrote:Damn Peter for not liking one game. He must hate them all. Geez Dorian by this logic you must be Jack Thompson.

Per se means that he doesn't like video games in their core, which is gameplay. It's pretty clear from what Peter wrote on this board over the years that he doesn't enjoy playing video games. He enjoys video games in his own way, but he's actually annoyed with gameplay in most cases.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Whilst you may be right on some level, you certainly are not with the generalisation that i "dont like playing video games". Foolish statement to be honest.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Peter wrote: Whilst you may be right on some level, you certainly are not with the generalisation that i "dont like playing video games". Foolish statement to be honest.

he knows you better than you know yourself peter, arguing is futile
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Peter wrote: Whilst you may be right on some level, you certainly are not with the generalisation that i "dont like playing video games". Foolish statement to be honest.

Not as foolish as disssming the entire Yakuza franchise because you don't like fighting NPCs (which you can avoid in the first place).
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Trust me Dorian, it is nowhere near as foolish as you trying to say what i do and do not like doing. Its that simple :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:59 pm

I think I'm one of those people who doesn't really like playing video games all that much. I love them, but the actual gameplay is not the most important thing to me. I like atmosphere and design... and I tend to have fun in ways very different than most people. It's sort of why Shenmue is the perfect game for me.

Thief has received a thanks from: Dorian
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Peter wrote: Trust me Dorian, it is nowhere near as foolish as you trying to say what i do and do not like doing. Its that simple :lol:

Forget about what's more foolish. It's just foolish to dismiss the Yakuza games based on something like that.

LAMEWAD wrote: I think I'm one of those people who doesn't really like playing video games all that much. I love them, but the actual gameplay is not the most important thing to me. I like atmosphere and design... and I tend to have fun in ways very different than most people. It's sort of why Shenmue is the perfect game for me.

I thought Peter is like that as well. That's really how he made it sound. It's not a bad thing by any means. I know a lot of people like that. There's nothing wrong with it. Some people just don't like playing video games per se, but they are drawn to them because of other reasons.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Perhaps, but its my free choice to do so. If you disagree with thats fine, of course you are entitled to disagree. But dont disrespect my decision to do so by using it to claim that i dont like playing video games when thats not the case at all. You are wrong on that one.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Peter wrote: Perhaps, but its my free choice to do so. If you disagree with thats fine, of course you are entitled to disagree. But dont disrespect my decision to do so by using it to claim that i dont like playing video games when thats not the case at all. You are wrong on that one.

This is exactly what I said to you:

I'm sorry, Peter, but it seems you simply don't like video games per se.

There is nothing disrespectful in that and I was merely saying how it seems to me.
Last edited by Dorian on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dorian has received a thanks from: Peter
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Dorian wrote:There is nothing disrespectful in that and I merely saying how it seems to me.

:nice!:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:27 pm

I recently had a discussion about the Yakuza series with a game shop owner. He was complaining about SEGA games selling like shit and going down in price like mad, especially the Yakuza games. He gave me reasons why so many people don't like this franchise and I totally saw their points. These games are made specifically for adult Japanese players and there's a lot of stuff thrown in that just won't appeal to most people outside of the very specific target group. Like the minigames that are pretty much shit on the general terms, but which are actually cool for many Japanese people since they incorporate very strong cultural elements of Japan.

The point here is that I personally love the Yakuza games and it saddens me every time I see somebody not wanting to play them, but I can understand that. It's all about idiosyncrasy, but pretty much everything that's being discussed here is about that. We are all people with totally different mental constitutions. That's why it always irritates me when I see people getting all high and mighty on what, essentially, is just their idea of how the world should look like.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:11 am

Peter wrote:I always found them easy to avoid if I wanted to. You can usually tell who wants to fight because they are squatting like they need to shit bad and looking side to side. When you run past them just make sure your as far away as possible. I was able to get from one side of the map to the other without one fight doing this.

[/quote]

Yeah you can avoid them buy running away but should you have to be constantly running away from people rather than being able to enjoy exploring the areas?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:46 pm

^^The same could be said of any RPG that shows enemies on the map, such as the Chrono series. Yakuza is far more of an action game, granted, but the RPG aspects are still pretty prevalent.
I dunno, I just don't see it as something that should be labeled as a "flaw" of the series, because it's not a flaw at all. They're not doing anything wrong by doing it that way. It's completely by design, and some people like it quite a lot.
I'm actually really surprised anyone even has a problem with it. I've always enjoyed it myself, and never seen it as a detractor. I've always been able to explore just fine, with a few fights happening here and there. It's not like the series is generally difficult, so there's usually no sense of dread going on over what'll happen in the next random fight.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:55 pm

I don't see it as a flaw, but i think a wild Arms kind of system where you can avoid a certain number of fights would be awesome. When they grab you, time slows down, and you have a chance to decide and if you have uses just punch the guy and keep going instead of having to load into a fight then slap these guys around and load out of it.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming