Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby dietsoap » Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote: Just started Hokuto ga Gotoku and it is a ton of fun, thus far. First few chapters are VERY short and flesh out the story more: now in Chapter 3, I'm able to explore and do the usual Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku things.

I'm really hoping this gets announced for localization soon. How is the combat compared to traditional Yakuza?
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Fri May 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:
OL wrote: ^^Funny, just today I can across one, got a prompt to activate it, and all it said was "(fire extinguisher)."
Figured it was something that would come into play later on, but it's good to know I should remember them.

Indeed; they are paramount for getting a Platinum and some good bonuses.

nah you can get the trophy without doing those missions. I already had the trophy before I got my first fire trouble mission actually.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri May 18, 2018 3:42 pm

I do enjoy going after these. This was probably the easiest to achieve. Outside of clan creator, there wasn't any trophies that were a grind to achieve. Even clan creator only took a couple of hours to mop up..

I wonder how Kiwami 2 compares.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 pm

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:I beat Kiwami 2 Wednesday afternoon and man, I still don't see how people love the game's plot so much; for those that can't stand Haruka's part in 5, I don't know how ANYONE can stand the blubbering, wailing mess of Kaoru, at the end of 2 (especially for a, "tough woman," who, "fights and brings down Yakuza)."

Well, the two issues are inherently pretty different.
The main problem with Haruka's section in 5 is that it just doesn't fit, in any way, with the general groove of the rest of the series. You spend round about 5 games (I'm counting Dead Souls here) playing as tough guys and badasses roaming the streets, getting into scraps, and just generally being the kinds of manly men that all aspiring manly men should look up to.
Then in Y5, for some reason they decided it would be a good idea to play as a little girl with dreams of going to the city and being a big star by dancing like a monkey on tv.
Uh?
It's like trying to fit a Hatsune Miku-shaped peg into a Bunta Sugawara-shaped hole. It's one of the weirdest (and in my mind, least-welcome) sidesteps I've ever seen a long-running videogame series take.

In the case of Kaoru's blubbering and so on, it might have been a while since I've played Y2, but in my multiple playthroughs of it I don't think it ever came across all that annoying; if anything, it fits right in with the usual "melodramatic-yet-chauvinistic" groove the series usually takes on. And yeah, the series is typically chauvinistic as hell. It's part of its Japanese charm. Women are there to be saved, or to serve as Macguffins in the plot. Nobody honestly plays these games for their strong female characters, so Kaoru being the stereotypical crying girl is just par for the course.
At least they don't force you to play as her with a series of timed button presses during her crying sessions. Then it might actually be comparable to the Haruka sections of 5.

OL has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Sat May 19, 2018 6:15 am

One of the cooler but also slightly out of place things in Yakuza 6 is the possible DMC nod
with totally not Korean Vergil. Complete with blue clothes and white slicked back hair and similar demeanor.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Sat May 19, 2018 10:01 am

So I started watching Rurouni Kenshin earlier (seen a few episodes years ago, but never got far), and it got me to thinking about Hokuto ga Gotoku... like, how great would it be if Sega started doing more of these games in the Yakuza mold, but with a variety of other anime franchises?
They've got Fist of the North Star covered, but Rurouni Kenshin is another that would work brilliantly, and I could probably sit here and make a whole list of others that could totally fit the bill. Seems like such a simple idea, but the basic Yakuza setup could be really multi-functional if they licensed a bunch of other stuff.
KoeiTecmo does it with their Warriors line (they've done Fist of the North Star, Berserk, and Arslan so far), so why not Yakuza? At the very least the Yakuza formula is far more conducive toward storytelling than Warriors ever has been.
Would be nice if that kind of thing happens. Just a random thought.

OL has received a thanks from: south carmain
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Mon May 21, 2018 9:13 am

OL wrote: So I started watching Rurouni Kenshin earlier (seen a few episodes years ago, but never got far), and it got me to thinking about Hokuto ga Gotoku... like, how great would it be if Sega started doing more of these games in the Yakuza mold, but with a variety of other anime franchises?
They've got Fist of the North Star covered, but Rurouni Kenshin is another that would work brilliantly, and I could probably sit here and make a whole list of others that could totally fit the bill. Seems like such a simple idea, but the basic Yakuza setup could be really multi-functional if they licensed a bunch of other stuff.
KoeiTecmo does it with their Warriors line (they've done Fist of the North Star, Berserk, and Arslan so far), so why not Yakuza? At the very least the Yakuza formula is far more conducive toward storytelling than Warriors ever has been.
Would be nice if that kind of thing happens. Just a random thought.

I agree, I would love to see more anime adapted in to the yakuza formula. It's probably a stretch considering that it's no longer that popular, but playing a video game adaptation of crows using the yakuza formula would be amazing.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby oliquidrusho » Mon May 21, 2018 3:58 pm

So I just finished Yakuza 6 last week, and wow. Did anyone else feel that the initial reaction to this game prepared us for a much lesser experience than what we got with the actual product? I thought Yakuza 6 was great. 0 is still the superior Yakuza entry to me, but I loved this game.

Maybe its the power of Ono Michio along with his bold and trendy Ono shirt.
oliquidrusho
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby south carmain » Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 pm

oliquidrusho wrote: So I just finished Yakuza 6 last week, and wow. Did anyone else feel that the initial reaction to this game prepared us for a much lesser experience than what we got with the actual product? I thought Yakuza 6 was great. 0 is still the superior Yakuza entry to me, but I loved this game.

Maybe its the power of Ono Michio along with his bold and trendy Ono shirt.

Yeah, it had less content but still had more than most games out there. The fighting system was fine once upgraded a bit and the story is no worse than 90% of other Yakuza games. The dragon engine, although needing some polishing, still felt like a huge breath of fresh air after using the old one for so long. Sure it may be lacking in certain areas but the series really needed an engine change so I'm willing to forgive some of the shortcomings in that area.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 22, 2018 3:36 am

Sega will release remastered versions of Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, and Yakuza 5 for PlayStation 4, the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation reveals.

Here is the Japanese release schedule:

Yakuza 3 – August 9 for 3,990 yen (includes soundtrack download code)
Yakuza 4 – Fall 2018
Yakuza 5 – Spring 2019
The remasterd releases will have improved resolution and frame rates.

https://gematsu.com/2018/05/yakuza-3-4- ... ed-for-ps4
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kintor » Tue May 22, 2018 4:58 am

Was on my way to post this news. Hard to believe but we'll actually have all the mainline Yakuza games available on PS4 with physical copies. We've certainly come a long way from when Yakuza 5 only got a belated digital release.

Now the only thing left on my Yakuza wish list is to see a Western release of Yakuza Ishin.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Tue May 22, 2018 8:54 am

south carmain wrote:
Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:
OL wrote: ^^Funny, just today I can across one, got a prompt to activate it, and all it said was "(fire extinguisher)."
Figured it was something that would come into play later on, but it's good to know I should remember them.

Indeed; they are paramount for getting a Platinum and some good bonuses.

nah you can get the trophy without doing those missions. I already had the trophy before I got my first fire trouble mission actually.

Argh, I feel doody; could have sworn they were part of something... well, I completed them in my playthrough, anyways! lol
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Tue May 22, 2018 9:04 am

dietsoap wrote:
Truck_1_0_1_ wrote: Just started Hokuto ga Gotoku and it is a ton of fun, thus far. First few chapters are VERY short and flesh out the story more: now in Chapter 3, I'm able to explore and do the usual Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku things.

I'm really hoping this gets announced for localization soon. How is the combat compared to traditional Yakuza?

Its quite good; most of the same button combinations and all that jazz, but there is some variance and you can basically do a, "heat," (quotes as it isn't really the same thing) action on EVERY enemy, at any time when they are stunned, which can get a bit tired for some after a while, but is fun and awesome to see.

I know how some people think of the buggy, but I like it and I think its a ton of fun, though I haven't really delved deeply into it just yet.

OL wrote:
Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:I beat Kiwami 2 Wednesday afternoon and man, I still don't see how people love the game's plot so much; for those that can't stand Haruka's part in 5, I don't know how ANYONE can stand the blubbering, wailing mess of Kaoru, at the end of 2 (especially for a, "tough woman," who, "fights and brings down Yakuza)."

Well, the two issues are inherently pretty different.
The main problem with Haruka's section in 5 is that it just doesn't fit, in any way, with the general groove of the rest of the series. You spend round about 5 games (I'm counting Dead Souls here) playing as tough guys and badasses roaming the streets, getting into scraps, and just generally being the kinds of manly men that all aspiring manly men should look up to.
Then in Y5, for some reason they decided it would be a good idea to play as a little girl with dreams of going to the city and being a big star by dancing like a monkey on tv.
Uh?
It's like trying to fit a Hatsune Miku-shaped peg into a Bunta Sugawara-shaped hole. It's one of the weirdest (and in my mind, least-welcome) sidesteps I've ever seen a long-running videogame series take.

In the case of Kaoru's blubbering and so on, it might have been a while since I've played Y2, but in my multiple playthroughs of it I don't think it ever came across all that annoying; if anything, it fits right in with the usual "melodramatic-yet-chauvinistic" groove the series usually takes on. And yeah, the series is typically chauvinistic as hell. It's part of its Japanese charm. Women are there to be saved, or to serve as Macguffins in the plot. Nobody honestly plays these games for their strong female characters, so Kaoru being the stereotypical crying girl is just par for the course.
At least they don't force you to play as her with a series of timed button presses during her crying sessions. Then it might actually be comparable to the Haruka sections of 5.

I think I am now FULLY getting where you're coming from.

That would be dreadful lol. Luckily, those scenes are only at the end of the game for a couple of chapters, but the way she was shoehorned into things and the progression of her character... its just executed terribly. In the end, she's LESS likable and all that, even though the writing is supposed to make us feel closer to her.

Hase was in over his head, I feel.

Anyways, I'll put the issue to bed: won't bring it up anymore.
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby Haruto » Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 am

Sega just announced Yakuza 3,4,5 for PS4 in Japan late this year. My guess is fall 2019 we get them in the west.
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/10426
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Tue May 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Haruto wrote: Sega just announced Yakuza 3,4,5 for PS4 in Japan late this year. My guess is fall 2019 we get them in the west.
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/10426

As they are simply remasters, I will be skipping out.

Just waiting for Shin and 7, at this point.
Truck_1_0_1_

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming