Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm

south carmain wrote:how not? the amount of improvements from previous games is incredible

I'm sitting here and watching both Y3-4 on 42" and then I'm watching those screens... Nothing "incredible" about the changes. The lighting is better and the res got upped, but the rest doesn't show any spectacular improvement.

Y3:

Y5:
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:50 pm

south carmain wrote: it would be cool if the limited edition came with ramen lol did any collectors editions of the previous games make it to the west? it would probably be the first one I actually buy

Funny you should say that. The special edition in Australia actually came with a Yakuza 4 ramen bowl. Tried to grab one on eBay but failed.. Other than that Yakuza 3 came with an OST CD and Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls both had extras as DLC in their special editions.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Dorian wrote:
south carmain wrote:how not? the amount of improvements from previous games is incredible

I'm sitting here and watching both Y3-4 on 42" and then I'm watching those screens... Nothing "incredible" about the changes. The lighting is better and the res got upped, but the rest doesn't show any spectacular improvement.

Y3:

Y5:

the facial details and rendering have both vastly been improved, also the engine isn't just about graphics many things gameplay wise have been improved
Crimson Ryan wrote:
south carmain wrote: it would be cool if the limited edition came with ramen lol did any collectors editions of the previous games make it to the west? it would probably be the first one I actually buy

Funny you should say that. The special edition in Australia actually came with a Yakuza 4 ramen bowl. Tried to grab one on eBay but failed.. Other than that Yakuza 3 came with an OST CD and Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls both had extras as DLC in their special editions.

ah dont seem that great then, well the Euro ones anyway :sad:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:39 pm

south carmain wrote:the facial details and rendering have both vastly been improved, also the engine isn't just about graphics many things gameplay wise have been improved

From a graphical point of view, nothing has been "vastly" improved. The graphics have been improved, but not in any redefining way. You speak like a SEGA PR guy.

We'll see about the gameplay. There was a lot to improve in that department. I hope they rose to the challenge.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Dorian wrote:
south carmain wrote:the facial details and rendering have both vastly been improved, also the engine isn't just about graphics many things gameplay wise have been improved

[color=#F1176E]From a graphical point of view, nothing has been "vastly" improved. The graphics have been improved, but not in any redefining way. You speak like a SEGA PR guy.

nah I speak like someone who doesn't wake up with the intent of hating everything

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:04 pm

south carmain wrote:nah I speak like someone who doesn't wake up with the intent of hating everything

I don't care about your personal drama. Think whatever you want about me. Just keep it to yourself instead of making yet another flame war.

Y5's graphics are improved from Y3-4, not redefined. It's clear when comparing the games so your 'interpretation' doesn't interest me. We're not speaking about poetry. Everything is in the shots.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Dorian wrote:
south carmain wrote:nah I speak like someone who doesn't wake up with the intent of hating everything

[color=#F1176EJust keep it to yourself[/color]

I though you said that this is a public forum and it doesn't matter how others take what we say, we should just express ourselves and others can deal with it

it uses a different engine, it improves on every point from the last games, that's pretty much all there is to say about it

nice going comparing cinematic to gameplay btw, this is what yakuza 3 looks like gameplay wise, a lot worse than your pic
you can already see how well the new engine renders a lot better everything and how half of the clothing textures don't look like cat vomit anymore

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:34 pm

south carmain wrote:I though you said that this is a public forum and it doesn't matter how others take what we say, we should just express ourselves and others can deal with it

Express ourselves freely on the topic at hand, not when it turns to flame wars.
south carmain wrote:nice going comparing cinematic to gameplay btw, this is what yakuza 3 looks like gameplay wise, a lot worse than your pic

You have no idea what you are talking about, I'm afraid. Yet again, you are factually wrong about the Yakuza games. Sad for somebody who tries to be a fan. The shot I posted is not from one of the special story scene cinematics, which in the Yakuza games are vastly more detailed than the gameplay. That shot is from the revelation cinematic (the "CHARISMATISSUER" one, to be precise), which is a normal gameplay scene and does not use the highly detailed XSI 6.5 2.5MB data size characters.
south carmain wrote:Image
you can already see how well the new engine renders a lot better everything and how half of the clothing textures don't look like cat vomit anymore

You're the one who is manipulating shots. The shit you posted is blurred as hell and doesn't have anything to do with how Y3 looks on a good HDTV. I'm playing the game right now and it's not blurry if you have a good TV and use 720p. Y5 obviously uses a higher resolution than Y3's 1024x768 without anti-aliasing, but it's still just an improvement, not a redefinition. I actually took the time to see what Google Images show for Y3 and it so happens that you've chosen the most blurry HD pic for Y3 out there. You actually took the effort to find an extremely unrepresentative, low-quality .jpg picture of Y3 to 'prove' your invalid point. Nice going there.

The clothes you speak of are of the NPCs. You are comparing Y3's NPCs clothing to Y5 main chars' clothing. There are shots out there that show Y5's NPCs a little, mainly those from the battles. Their clothing is as shitty as ever.
Last edited by Dorian on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:52 pm

lol you posted a cutscene of yakuza 3 compared to a shot that was clearly gameplay of yakuza 5 and you say I'm picking shots, did you even look at all the picks posted from yakuza 5? as for that pic it is from a HDTV and is actual gameplay, now you're just trying to find excuses and you call me pathetic lel
another pic, this is gameplay, it's higher resolution and is less blurry than the previous, if anything the blurryness made it look better
and yakuza 3 looks like that, it renders badly environments nothing new there, look at the ground in the pic, if it was modified then that would be blurry also

also did you even bother to look at all the yakuza 5 screens before spurring your biased bullshit?
plenty of npcs there to chose from
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:04 pm

south carmain wrote: lol you posted a cutscene of yakuza 3 compared to a shot that was clearly gameplay of yakuza 5

You have a problem with understanding basic English? That shot is not from Y3's highly detailed story cutscenes. You pose to be a fan, but you don't even know that Y3 uses two kinds of cutscenes? Highly detailed story cinematics and normal cutscenes with the actual gameplay models? The shot I posted is the latter and it represents the actual gameplay graphics of Y3. It's just that the camera zooms on Kazuma... just like on the shots from Y5 you speak of.
south carmain wrote:as for that pic it is from a HDTV and is actual gameplay, now you're just trying to find excuses and you call me pathetic

Yeah, it looks like something from a HDTV... directly off of HDTV's screen, actually. And made with a shitty mobile phone. That's how unrepresentative that shot is. I don't have to look for excuses to call you names. You are giving the worst testimony about yourself with every post on this page.

Y5:

Y4:

Most people wouldn’t tell there's a difference, let alone 'a vast improvement'. Y5 is improved, of course, but it's nowhere near being a revolution for the series. I'm done talking with you, especially when you can't even tell the difference between Magical V-Engine's two categories of cutscenes. Plus, you are a kid who thinks that swearing makes one's argument more valid.

Over and out, you naughty flame wars instigator.
Last edited by Dorian on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:11 pm

nah it was a screenshot actually, you can go on full denial and post pics of images that were clearly photoshopped but this is what yakuza 4 actually looks like
yakuza 5 is a great improvement over 3 and 4, not only in graphics but also in poly count, and I don't know why you keep on saying "fan" I say this as a game developer not as a fan, you started calling me pathetic btw so don't expect any respect on my part after that, your constant whining was enough to annoy anyone, you can go on full denial but the truth is that the little that has been shown of yakuza 5 so far is far ahead from any previous game and anyone will confirm it except you because saying something nice would somehow kill you

edit: and story cutscenes are better than gameplay you know why? because they render it different and even there what you're saying is bullshit, there is clearly a higher poly count in the model of the pic you posted than the one used for actual gameplay
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:33 pm

south carmain wrote: nah it was a screenshot actually, you can go on full denial and post pics of images that were clearly photoshopped but this is what yakuza 4 actually looks like

There's nothing photoshopped about that. The pic you posted, though, is a yet another low-quality .jpg that doesn't represent how the game looks like. You are purposefully choosing the most crappy Y3-4 pictures available in the Google archives. That's what pathetic here. I have the games running right here, right now. They do look like on the pics I posted. Contrary to you, I actually post the direct-captured shots that represent how Y3-4 look like on a good and properly configured HDTV.
south carmain wrote:saying something nice would somehow kill you

There's no value in saying something 'nice' just for the heck of it. I speak about the facts, be them 'ugly' or 'nice'. The difference between us is that I'm not fooling myself into believing that the world is a better and nicer place than it really is. Even the shots of Y5 posted by nobody other than you show that I was right about the NPCs and how the new instalment in the Yakuza series is just an improvement, not a redefinition. Yet, you insist on denying it. That's why I'm really done with talking about this. I've stated what I had to state. But really, you discredited yourself entirely when it turned out you don't even know that Magical V-Engine uses two types of cutscenes. It's easy to tell because the highly detailed story cutscenes are always preceded by a black loading screen, whereas the normal, gameplay-level-of-graphics cutscenes are not. The one I posted a shot from is a normal cutscene with no loading of the highly detailed XSI 6.5 2.5MB data size characters and it represents the gameplay graphics.The last edit you made shows this clearly. You are lost like a little child about this matter. You have no idea what you're talking about and you can't tell the difference between the two categories of cutscenes the Magical V-Engine uses.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Dorian wrote:
south carmain wrote: nah it was a screenshot actually, you can go on full denial and post pics of images that were clearly photoshopped but this is what yakuza 4 actually looks like

There's nothing photoshopped about that. The pic you posted, though, is a yet another low-quality .jpg that doesn't represent how the game looks like. You are purposefully choosing the most crappy Y3-4 pictures available in the Google archives. That's what pathetic here. I have the games running right here, right now. They do look like on the pics I posted. Contrary to you, I actually post the direct-captured shots that represent how Y3-4 look like on a good and properly configured HDTV.
south carmain wrote:saying something nice would somehow kill you

There's no value in saying something 'nice' just for the heck of it. I speak about the facts, be them 'ugly' or 'nice'. The difference between us is that I'm not fooling myself into believing that the world is a better and nicer place than it really is. Even the shots of Y5 posted by nobody other than you show that I was right about the NPCs and how the new instalment in the Yakuza series is just an improvement, not a redefinition. Yet, you insist on denying it. That's why I'm really done with talking about this. I've stated what I had to state. But really, you discredited yourself entirely when it turned out you don't even know that Magical V-Engine uses two types of cutscenes. It's easy to tell because the highly detailed story cutscenes are always preceded by a black loading screen, whereas the normal, gameplay-level-of-graphics cutscenes are not. The one I posted a shot from is a normal cutscene with no loading of the highly detailed XSI 6.5 2.5MB data size characters and it represents the gameplay graphics.The last edit you made shows this clearly. You are lost like a little child about this matter. You have no idea what you're talking about and you can't tell the difference between the two categories of cutscenes the Magical V-Engine uses.

no I am using actual gameplay shots, not enhanced images used for commercial reasons, you're the one picking the best possible to somehow prove your point which I have debunked each time, for someone who thinks he is right you sure are replying a lot despite saying you won't anymore, now lets let the images speak for themselves, and yes it was higher poly and yes all cutscenes use a different renderer and shaders

from the poly count to the texturing to the fluidity everything is much better, and if you read what they actually improved gameplay wise you would notice it actually is a redefinition, not just a small improvement, but hey you will just answer this by saying "I'm lying" right while contributing cut scene and enhanced pics while saying I'm the one being biased

and who said I didn't know it uses 2 different type of cutscenes? do you think it's not easy for them to switch the character model? you do know that during a cutscene the engine processes less so you can use higher poly models to make it look better either way, that's the whole point of having a cut scene
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 pm

south carmain wrote:from the poly count to the texturing to the fluidity everything is much better, and if you read what they actually improved gameplay wise you would notice it actually is a redefinition, not just a small improvement, but hey you will just answer this by saying "I'm lying" right while contributing cut scene and enhanced pics while saying I'm the one being biased

From the poly count, through the texturing, to the fluidity - everything is improved, but not redefined. I've read everything about Y5 that you can read in English. I know every detail that was made public in English to this day. It is an improvement, not a redefinition. Being much bigger doesn't mean being a redefinition. It's just improved. How much improved, that will be seen when the game is available to everybody, not from SEGA'S PR statements.

You are not lying purposefully. You are fooling yourself into believing that things are just the way you want them to be, when they clearly aren't. Also, you couldn't tell the difference between the two categories of cutscenes used by Magical V-Engine so it's just pointless to talk with somebody who can only post pictures from Google without any kind of factual understanding of them.

You done?
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:03 pm

I called it, I thought you were done answering to me? and I'm right, they recoded the engine, rebuilt the cities, redid the textures, the shaders everything from top to bottom, character models clearly have a higher poly count, the have added gameplay variety which they couldn't do without recoding anyway, now tell me oh knowledgeable dorian who was supposed to stop replying to me 3 comments ago how building everything from the ground again using new improved everything isn't a redefinition, what more does it need? not to mention if you look closer even the general style has changed, it now has warmer colours, nearly colourful even
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming