Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Haruto » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:19 pm

They conveniently avoided the one person who could have helped Kiryu find Haruka. The Florist. Loved the game but a minor detail stood out. My memory is fuzzy but is it me or is the millemium tower 3x taller in Yakuza 6 than the first game or Kiwami. Great game. My favorite this year.
Image

Haruto has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yakuza series

Postby OL » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:52 pm

^^Hey now, careful on spoilers. That wasn't too revealing, necessarily, but still.

But yeah, I played a bit of the opening while skipping cutscenes (since I'm not up to 6 yet; just wanted to try it for the gameplay), and yeah, the scale of Kamurocho itself seems to have been expanded. Streets are definitely wider, and I wouldn't doubt if buildings in general were made a bit taller. Makes it all feels a little more realistic now, so that's nice. I'm playing Zero now, and the environments are starting to feel a little "videogame-y" at this point (after 5 games covering the same streets), so that upgrade in 6 is definitely very, very noticeable.

Also, just have to say it; it feels good when you finally throw your first enemy off of a building. I lured a pack of guys up an entire stairwell just to try that out. :lol:
Image

OL has received 2 thanks from: Haruto, Truck_1_0_1_
User avatar
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III
 
Joined: May 2003

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Haruto wrote: They conveniently avoided the one person who could have helped Kiryu find Haruka. The Florist. Loved the game but a minor detail stood out. My memory is fuzzy but is it me or is the millemium tower 3x taller in Yakuza 6 than the first game or Kiwami. Great game. My favorite this year.


You talking about the beginning of the game? Ah, big deal; you find out soon enough, anyways :p.

I don't think it actually is taller from a videogame sense, but its definitely a larger place in general; this was confirmed now, as I'm playing Kiwami 2; its been made more expansive indeed.

I'm glad people are liking it, because many of us diehards (not myself) that pre-order the game the day after it gets announced (lol), bashed it to high hell and it is SO undeserved, its ridiculous; its a wonderful, fresh evolution for the series.

OL wrote: ^^Hey now, careful on spoilers. That wasn't too revealing, necessarily, but still.

But yeah, I played a bit of the opening while skipping cutscenes (since I'm not up to 6 yet; just wanted to try it for the gameplay), and yeah, the scale of Kamurocho itself seems to have been expanded. Streets are definitely wider, and I wouldn't doubt if buildings in general were made a bit taller. Makes it all feels a little more realistic now, so that's nice. I'm playing Zero now, and the environments are starting to feel a little "videogame-y" at this point (after 5 games covering the same streets), so that upgrade in 6 is definitely very, very noticeable.

Also, just have to say it; it feels good when you finally throw your first enemy off of a building. I lured a pack of guys up an entire stairwell just to try that out. :lol:


There are less heat actions, (which was another reason why the diehards bashed it, which makes no sense)
but there wasn't a single one I didn't love :D
Image
User avatar
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: June 2015
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Haruto » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:14 pm

It's not a big deal but it is no doubt taller. Can always just say they remodeled.

Image
Image
Image

Haruto has received 2 thanks from: OL, Truck_1_0_1_
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:34 am

Just finished Yakuza 6 last night. It's the first Yakuza game where I didn't get sidetracked for 40 hours because I really wanted to play through the story. A lot of people complained about the game, but it's definitely my favourite alongside 0 so far. Also the engine upgrade really makes it a lot smoother to play compared to previous games.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:38 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!

The post that the world should see.
Image
User avatar
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: June 2015
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Re: Yakuza series

Postby OL » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 am

Does it get smoother later on? Like, after leveling up and all?
Just based on the first half hour-ish of actual gameplay, it felt a little clunkier to me than earlier games. I didn't have a problem with it necessarily, and I'm not complaining; it's a new engine, new fighting system, so I readily acknowledge that I probably wasn't entirely used to it yet (especially since I messed around with it amidst my Zero playthrough, and that game feels smooth as hell). But it did feel almost like they'd intentionally made Kazuma slightly stiffer and... less responsive, I guess? Almost like a way to increase the difficulty a bit (because, admittedly, pretty much all of the earlier games are really, really easy).
It's not something I'm complaining about, because the action was still great, and it actually works as an atmospheric element in a strange way (being that Kazuma is 50-ish now, so yeah, of course he might not be quite as quick on his feet anymore).
But again, my experience with it is limited to the very start of the game. So does it smooth out as it goes, or did I just get an entirely different impression from you's guys? Something I just have to get used to maybe?
Image
User avatar
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III
 
Joined: May 2003

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Haruto » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:02 am

I found it sorta clunky at first then you get used to it as you upgrade. It's just not as good as previous games.It's easier but a bit more clunky in Yakuza 6 if that makes sense.
Image
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:29 am

OL wrote: Does it get smoother later on? Like, after leveling up and all?
Just based on the first half hour-ish of actual gameplay, it felt a little clunkier to me than earlier games. I didn't have a problem with it necessarily, and I'm not complaining; it's a new engine, new fighting system, so I readily acknowledge that I probably wasn't entirely used to it yet (especially since I messed around with it amidst my Zero playthrough, and that game feels smooth as hell). But it did feel almost like they'd intentionally made Kazuma slightly stiffer and... less responsive, I guess? Almost like a way to increase the difficulty a bit (because, admittedly, pretty much all of the earlier games are really, really easy).
It's not something I'm complaining about, because the action was still great, and it actually works as an atmospheric element in a strange way (being that Kazuma is 50-ish now, so yeah, of course he might not be quite as quick on his feet anymore).
But again, my experience with it is limited to the very start of the game. So does it smooth out as it goes, or did I just get an entirely different impression from you's guys? Something I just have to get used to maybe?

I meant in terms of general gameplay when I said smoother, the way how the game doesn't have so many invisible barriers, pedestrians don't feel like walking tanks and there aren't any loading screens for absolutely everything like in previous games. As for the combat, it does become less clunky as you unlock more techniques but I do still prefer the combat in 0 in certain regards, however environment interactivity is definitely better in 6.

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:16 pm

How do the boss battles in 6 measure up to 0's (which are my favourite in the series yet)?
User avatar
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III
 
Joined: July 2003
Location: The Office
PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Haruto » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 pm

Not as memorable. Although there is some cool fights with some nice set pieces.
Image
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Telekill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:30 am

Ok guys. This game is talked up quite a bit.

I have never played ANY of the Yakuza games. I'm interested in playing but don't even know where to begin. There's what.... 7 or 8 of these games now? I have a PS4 so it would have to start and end on that platform. I also have to find the time.

How does Yakuza compare to Shenmue in terms of gameplay? Story? Controls?
Image
User avatar
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: July 2015
PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Re: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:57 am

Telekill wrote: Ok guys. This game is talked up quite a bit.

I have never played ANY of the Yakuza games. I'm interested in playing but don't even know where to begin. There's what.... 7 or 8 of these games now? I have a PS4 so it would have to start and end on that platform. I also have to find the time.

How does Yakuza compare to Shenmue in terms of gameplay? Story? Controls?

honestly you would be better off just downloading yakuza 6's demo and seeing for yourself.
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Telekill wrote: Ok guys. This game is talked up quite a bit.

I have never played ANY of the Yakuza games. I'm interested in playing but don't even know where to begin. There's what.... 7 or 8 of these games now? I have a PS4 so it would have to start and end on that platform. I also have to find the time.

How does Yakuza compare to Shenmue in terms of gameplay? Story? Controls?


Start with Yakuza 0, if you live in Europe, there's a massive PSN sale going on right now where Yakuza 0 is 12 (Euros or quid) and Yakuza Kiwami (remake of Yakuza 1) is going for like 9 (Euros or quid).

Yakuza 0 is the best starting point for newcomers, I think - starting with 6 you'd really be lost with the plot.

The games are their own thing, they do feature arcades and free exploring like Shenmue though you can only talk to certain NPCs and the fighting styles are very different from Shenmue. Do you enjoy gangster storylines? Enjoy beat 'em ups like Streets of Rage and other old school style beat 'em ups from back in the day? Then play it.
User avatar
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III
 
Joined: July 2003
Location: The Office
PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Telekill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Downloading the demo now. Thanks.
Image
User avatar
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: July 2015
PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net