Great Gaming Designs and Artwork

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Favorite Videogame Character Designs

Postby Tuffty » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:34 pm

The demons in the SMT series are just great to look at. I would post what I consider to be a picture of one of the best video game end bosses ever. And not just in the look, but I mean in the difficulty, in terms of the narrative and for downright epicness. But I don't feel like it would do it any justice for new players in Persona 3, I'd rather they see it for themselves.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:14 pm

GunGrave.

I wanted to post a PS2 game that was also cel shaded and while not a very good game it just had a cool look. Don't remember the name,just was early 00's guy in a suit with a snow white skin in I think was a tux or suit. Was a action/3rd person shooter type thing.
Very obscure but if anyone can remember please tell me.

Was NOT Blood+ or Killer 7,this was made between 2000-2003
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Holy hell Orange, I've looked up that "Kazuma Kaneko" person you mentioned earlier on in the topic (since I was interested in the designs you put up by this person) and the artwork is amazing. Like, really, really good.

The Shin Megami Tensei series just got bumped up to the very top of my "games to buy" list now. Yes, I really am impressed with the artwork that damn much. I mean, just look at these batshit insane designs I found randomly on Google.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/582958_20040402_screen025.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/582958_20040402_screen029.jpg

Just really love it. Really unique and fresh.

Glad I could introduce you to him. ;-)
You should see some of his designs from Maken X. Craziest designs by him that I've ever seen. Unfortunately, though, I can't seem to find a good gallery at the moment, so I can't show examples.
Still, you've inspired me to post more from him:

The Hero - Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

Probably my favorite "silent protagonist" design ever. It's simple but inventive at the same time, and he looks like he could easily be any type of character: good guy, bad guy, or anti-hero. This is especially important, since the game he's from allows various choices, affecting your "moral" alignment in the game (which affects the ultimate fate of the world at the end of the game).
Plus, the design looks awesome in the dark, since the edges of his "tattoos" glow with a turquoise light.

Kaneko also had a small hand in Devil May Cry 3, designing the "devil forms" for both Dante and Nero.
I can only post one at the moment though:

Dante's Devil Form - Devil May Cry 3

Best design for Dante's devil form from any of the DMC games.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:18 am

^ Looks fucking awesome esp the DMC.

Sidenote. I have googled the hell out of trying to find this game I mentioned last post. Not a damn thing.
I remember it being reviewed on Extended play. Aw well should not torture myself like this for a pic no one will care about.
I just get obsessive when I can't remember something and want to find it. gah......

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! just after making this post I found it. No wonder I had a shit time.It was Xbox game and I thought it was PS2. Giant Bomb saved me...I LOVE YOU JEFF GERSTMAN YOU UGLY ASS MOTHERFUCKER....erm ok not really but glad I found it.
Heh not as cool looking as I remember,more like a kids cartoon. Still like it.
Just avoid playing the game,it really is awful and just the vids show me this. Looks like what would happen if Gungrave sucked ass and was 100% unresponsive and the developers released a game only 10% complete.

Drake of 99 dragons.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:57 pm

I had some free time for a Sunday evening, usually I'm extremely busy. /sarcasm

There's some high-res images ahead so I've put them in spoiler tags for convinience. Try and guess who it is before clicking..

Yoshimitsu from the Tekken series!

Definately one of the craziest designs in any game. He looks like he could be a boss character in any genre. I needed multiple pictures to show his development over the six main Tekken games. My favourite, and definately most curious design, is buried in the PSP Dark Ressurection game and I couldn't source any pictures so I'll make do.

Tekken 1!
Simple design. Matched the 'ninja/samurai' moveset he had in the first game. Is he actually based on an historic Japanese figure or something? Would probably explain a lot in the later games..

Tekken 2!
The story goes he was captured and then 'repaired' into a human/robot hybrid by Dr. B. Robot top half, human bottom half. Nice contrast.

Tekken 3!
Looks like they've further merged the human side with more of the mechanical particularly in the face.

Tekken 4!
Where it starts to get weird.. Nice touches with the buzzing wings when he's fighting, but more of his human features are being replaced.

Tekken 5!
This is where I strongly expect Yoshimitsu to be based on someone historical. Looks very traditional and unmistakingly Japanese..

Tekken 6!
Absolutely batshit insane.. Not really one of my favourites, it's a complete misdirection at this point compared to Tekken 1. Bulky, flash and too mechanical for whatever it's supposed to be at this point :|
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Looks awesome in 3.
By 6 it looks awful like a bad kids CGI tv show from the 90's as if they thought the more shiny shit we can fit on just do it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Ryan - Good call on Yoshimitsu! My favorite is also the design from 3. They nailed it by not making it too simplistic yet not too detailed all at the same time.

Star Fox when they were advertised as muppets for the 1993 game. I always loved the look of the puppets and seriously wished they made a show based around those. Bet they're rotting in some landfill somewhere. :cry:

It wasn't a great game and quite frankly the start of the deterioration of Rare, but they nailed the look of Fox at least. After that they kept fucking it up making his head all big in Assult and adding more unnecessary shit to his attire. Just keep it simple.
Last edited by Kenny on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Blame Namco for his shitty look in Assault. But agree he looked great in Adventures,still a graphically pretty game with the fur effect (not even HD systems do this in games these days) and great use of colour and textures and effects ESP lighting and water effects. Too bad the gameplay was average at best.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Ryudo wrote:Drake

Damn, as soon as you described it before, that was actually the first game that came to mind for me. But then I thought "No, that can't be it. That game looked awful beyond belief. He wouldn't mention that."
:lol:
I still think the design kind of rips off Batman the Animated Series a bit much. But that's me.

I'd love to get an artbook for this next one, but I'm not sure if one is readily available for the earlier games in the series like this:

Samanosuke Akechi - Onimusha

Just a great samurai design, especially distinct because of the bright red armor and oni gauntlet. Always thought it looked excellent.
He looks, in my opinion, even cooler in a later game in the series, but it's kind of a major spoiler... so don't look unless you've either played through the whole series (including Dawn of Dream), or you just don't give a shit:

Tenkai (Samanosuke) - Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:02 pm

The most recent version of Knuckles. My personal favorite Sonic character.

And I know everyone hates him, but I actually liked Big. In all his retarded glory. I enjoyed the fishing segments way more than the jewel hunting and mecha levels int he next game (of course they have nothing on Sonic's levels).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:10 pm

^ haha Still find it funny yhe VA went from Duke Nukem to big the cat.
And OL yeah the game was ass but I guess that is why I sorta liked the look as it reminded me of BTAS.

Anyway Shiek from OoT

And just love anything from the JSR series ESP Beat from the cover of JSRF.
Just so funky and so much style.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Rodney Greenblat's Parappa and Lammy Designs. They look even better in game.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Tales series I like many of their designs,however Kratos from TOS is one of my faves.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Prince from Katamari.

Rayman. Ancel's coolest character.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:30 pm

I love all of Vincent Valentines designs.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming