Catherine

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Atlus Announces New IP - Catherine

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Gboy wrote:
ThyDarkAngel wrote:
Gboy wrote:
Tuffty wrote:And it's the Japanese who are the ones complaining too who you thought would be all over that shit.

hmm i always thought the japs preferred there games a bit harder then us, i guess gaming has changed over there to

Actually, I always heard they like their games easier and that many western versions of various famous games are harder than it's original conuterparts.

And knowing is half the battle!

GIJOE=====================
================================
===============================================

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Panda_rapist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 pm

OL wrote:He might be right. Games have been sort of "mainstream" in Japan for far longer than they have in the west, and when things get to be mainstream, they usually end up being made to be easier on the palette.
Plus, as was said, lots of Japanese games have ended up being changed to be more difficult when they come out over here, such as Silhouette Mirage or Wonderboy in Monster World. Or how DMC3's normal mode over here was actually the hard mode in Japan. Heard lots of examples of that stuff, but not so many of western games being harder in Japan.

i always assumed they preferred harder games as japanese games tended to be harder the western made ones, also that they love tactic games and prefer rpg's such as persona which is fairly harder and more complicated then most titles of the same genre

i guess i was wrong
Panda_rapist

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:15 pm

It seems to me recently Japan is more casual and more into dumb cell phone games.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Eh, maybe no one is "right" necessarily. It's hard to gauge the collective tastes of an entire country of people anyway.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Ryudo wrote:It seems to me recently Japan is more casual and more into dumb cell phone games.

I think that's more because the Japenese are so busy working that it's the only type of game they can play. Be it on the train to work or on their lunch break. Most likely why Square put Dragon Quest on the DS.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:10 pm

OL wrote:He might be right. Games have been sort of "mainstream" in Japan for far longer than they have in the west, and when things get to be mainstream, they usually end up being made to be easier on the palette.
Plus, as was said, lots of Japanese games have ended up being changed to be more difficult when they come out over here, such as Silhouette Mirage or Wonderboy in Monster World. Or how DMC3's normal mode over here was actually the hard mode in Japan. Heard lots of examples of that stuff, but not so many of western games being harder in Japan.

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams too. All of the bosses in that game have an extra life bar, supposedly. And the MGS series has the Extreme modes which are only available in NTSC-U and PAL regions. There's also the infamous ones like Dynamite Headdy and Streets of Rage 3 which were both made insanely harder outside of Japan.
Last edited by Henry Spencer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:06 am

http://www.destructoid.com/atlus-has-no ... 4958.phtml

motherfuckbarbrastrisandfuckingbieberwithjackthompsonbitchkneeflapperdickploppers!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 am

:shock:

Atlus USA is slipping. I never thought I'd say that. If this never makes it way here... I'm gonna be fucking pissed. This would be guaranteed money for them. All they have to do it translate it and advertise it as being from the creators of Persona 3 and 4, and it'll be just as successful as those games, if not more. Easiest fucking advertising in the world. They're insane if they have no plans to bring it over whatsoever.

And this now brings into question whether the PSP remakes of Persona 2 will make their way over here.
I'm already on the verge of saying "Fuck Atlus USA" because of this Catherine thing, but if P2 never comes over here... I'll have lost all faith in them. They used to be my favorite company for localization, and now XSeed is edging them right the fuck out the door.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 am

I really doubt that's the case, at all. I'd wait for E3 first before you start losing your shit. I think we can just read it as "we're not ready to announce it, yet" for now.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:32 am

Damn, if Catherine doesn't come to the West I will also be mad. It's one of my most anticipated games of the year and I feel it can grow up to be one of my personal favs...
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Tuffty » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Well from what I hear, there's a lot of dialogue in that game so it may even take it's time for localisation, voice work etc. At that I'd suspect it wouldn't even be released this year if that were the case. I think it'll arrive eventually, just not soon.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Why would it need translation besides text? Put subs in.
Just a weird sexy version of Q*bert.
:???:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Tuffty » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Well even at that, I can only presume it takes a while to translate the text in the game. I'm sure the purists wouldn't want an English VO version, but I'm sure that marketing dictates that to have a wider appeal and to appeal to those out there who haven't played P3/P4 you gotta have them in there. Besides I actually prefer them in some cases. I can't imagine the likes of Teddie or Kanji without their English VO work.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:41 am

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Some kind of marketing ploy?
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming