Catherine

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Atlus Announces New IP - Catherine

Postby OL » Mon May 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Shit...
I want that deluxe edition, but I'm on the fence about it... not sure if I should invest in it for a shirt and boxers I'll never wear and a pillowcase and pizza box I'll never use...
It's all awesome stuff, and I'll probably regret it if I don't get it (I love these extra goodies for whatever reason, even if they're useless), just not entirely sure though...
Either way, I'll be preordering one of the versions soon.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Catherine

Postby ys » Sun May 22, 2011 7:59 am

I stumbled across this one while browsing around on IGN :

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/083/083913.html

Vincent likes his girlfriend. Katherine's pretty, smart, and successful. Trouble is, she's starting to talk about long-term commitment, something Vincent's spent his entire life avoiding. Since romantic complications are the last thing he wants to deal with, Vincent meets his friends for their regular night of drinks. Little does he know that he's about to be blindsided by a beautiful, seductive, irresistible freight train named Catherine. Suddenly, he's hung over in bed next to the most beautiful woman he's ever seen, unsure about the previous night's events. Was it just making out, he wonders, or did something more serious happen between them? Should he tell Katherine? Will he ever see Catherine again? Vincent's about to find that a stumble on the staircase of love can turn into a horrific, fatal plummet...

I first thought that it would be more of a standard dating sim but it seems as if it is more of a freaky, nightmarish game with puzzle elements and moral decisions as far as I can see.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/impor ... 2?type=flv

Not all too surprising, Atlus are the ones bringing this to the West. Most other publishers wouldn't really be bothered publishing something more different like this of course. Seeing titles like this reminded me of the Dreamcast days where I would try out some of these 'stranger' games just for the sake of variety.

ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Catherine

Postby Riku Rose » Sun May 22, 2011 8:05 am

Already a topic for it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Catherine

Postby ys » Sun May 22, 2011 8:42 am

Alright, I checked the first page and didn't see it immediately. Can be locked, or part of my post merged or whatever then :P
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Atlus' Catherine

Postby Myles » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:01 am

Interesting looking game:

Image Image

Players control a man named Vincent who, after meeting a strange girl named Catherine, begins having strange nightmares, during which he might be killed. The main story mode, Golden Theater, follows the story between Daytime and Nightmare scenarios. During the daytime, Vincent will converse with his friends as well as try to handle his relationship with the two women, Catherine and Katherine. Most of this time takes place in the Stray Sheep bar where Vincent can save and send text messages from his mobile phone, talk to customers, order drinks, play a minigame titled Rapunzel or listen to a jukebox containing tracks from other Atlus games such as the Persona series.

The Nightmare stages are where the main gameplay takes place. In a nightmarish dreamworld inhabited by other men, who are represented as sheep, Vincent must climb up giant staircases that are slowly collapsing underneath him and safely reach the top. To accomplish this, Vincent must push, pull and climb blocks as quickly as possible while avoiding various traps such as spikes and ice. Climbing up steps in quick succession increases a score multiplier, and at the end of the level, players are given an award based on their score. Each stage is split up into numerous areas, culminating in a boss stage in which a nightmarish creature also attempts to kill Vincent. Items found throughout the levels include pillows which give extra lives, block items that can be placed anywhere in the level and lightning that can destroy sheep which block your path. There are also certain attributes Vincent can get depending on what he drinks during the day. Vincent will die if he falls off the bottom of the level, gets caught by a trap or is killed by a boss, with the game ending if Vincent runs out of retry pillows. In between action stages, Vincent can interact with the other sheep, save his game, learn techniques or spend coins on special items. While playing in easy difficulty, players can push the Select/Back button to correct a single block move

Quote is from Wikipedia.

Also:

The Japanese voice actor for the character Vincent has been confirmed to be Koichi Yamadera, the Japanese voice actor for Spike Spiegel of the anime Cowboy Bebop. Vincent and Spike share a vague physical resemblance.

Sounds like a strange, crazy twisted japan-anime style game.
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Atlus' Catherine

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 am

Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Re: Atlus' Catherine

Postby Myles » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:13 am

Ah shit.
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:56 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIkQ5YOmyAs[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Tuffty » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:34 pm

The game got a good review on Eurogamer (9/10 if you're into scores) but a bit of a beatdown by Giant Bomb. Sounds like it'll be pretty divisive, but then it always was going to be the case right?

I for one shall get it and make up my own mind. And I can, considering Atlus found a publisher for Europe. Happy fucking days!
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:28 pm

I dont care about metric scores but this currently has 85/100 on 360 and 83/100 on PS3 so its doing well and i hope it gets good sales.

Also hope they announce a UK date soon.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:04 pm

I hope it sells a good deal to show US still wants original ideas.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I completed Catherine today. I liked the game a lot but I was dissapointed I din't get too see Catherine boobs and they don't even show them having sex. I was expecting to see all these kind of things since they made it seem like it with the trailers and the cover box. What a letdown. Now I can't wait for Persona 5. They better make it for console and not on a handheld.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 pm

I don't know a damn thing about this game. I've seen this topic bumped a few times but this is the first time i've looked in it.

I downloaded the demo since its on XBL just to see what this is all about.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Myles » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:37 pm

The_Intruder wrote:I completed Catherine today. I liked the game a lot but I was dissapointed I din't get too see Catherine boobs and they don't even show them having sex. I was expecting to see all these kind of things since they made it seem like it with the trailers and the cover box. What a letdown. Now I can't wait for Persona 5. They better make it for console and not on a handheld.

LOL!!!
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:43 pm

The_Intruder wrote:I completed Catherine today. I liked the game a lot but I was dissapointed I din't get too see Catherine boobs and they don't even show them having sex. I was expecting to see all these kind of things since they made it seem like it with the trailers and the cover box. What a letdown. Now I can't wait for Persona 5. They better make it for console and not on a handheld.

P5 is coming to Wii as a Rythm game.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming