Ys Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: ys series

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:01 pm

^ Was just about to post that review.
Awesome just awesome.
========================================
As for ysIII music,whoever ported that on SNES should be shot.
SNES was well known for having such an amazing soundchip from sony and to sound like that!? Pity a real pity.Sorry for using a different series music but listen to this and this is closer to what that chip can do.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D65TT5Ieb4M[/youtube]
What that ys III SNES port music is the equiv if you played a really old VHS tape on a 60" 1080P screen from a old TV show recorded with bad reception with track lines.

AWFUL PUTRID SACRELIG!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:00 pm

They actually had similar builds of similar chips but the SNES supported augmentations through game carts while the Genesis didn't.

Also theres more of a control lag in the SNES version, its just a bit more stiff (OOOHOHOHO)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Ri_oh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:30 pm

I love the series. First played book 1 on Master system. The DS ports were quite good too. They through in some nice to new surprises for people who have already played through the original. I love #3. Never knew it was for Super. I only ever played the Genesis version.

One thing I must say is the anime disappointed me. I love Adol because he is the silent protagonist, and that works well. The anime took a story that works so well when you play it out in your head and made it too... well I am not sure how to explain it. I just didn't like what they did with the characters. Cool soundtrack though. JDK sound team is amazing. They just don't make enough video game music like that anymore.
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:49 pm

I finally bought the DS game new on amazon at a fair price.

I need something new for the DS and from what I am playing any zelda ish type games I am in the mood for.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:47 am

Ri_oh wrote:One thing I must say is the anime disappointed me. I love Adol because he is the silent protagonist, and that works well. The anime took a story that works so well when you play it out in your head and made it too... well I am not sure how to explain it. I just didn't like what they did with the characters.

I don't know man, I just started watching it (four episodes in), and all of the characters seem pretty faithful to the game. Obviously they have to change certain bits of the narrative around to give it more dramatic "oomph", but the characters are all about the same (besides mostly having different designs).
Adol himself may be a silent character in the games, but his personality is still incredibly clear; he's the pure, optimistic, adventurous type. It's always been obvious that he's meant to be the classic 8-bit hero archetype, even if he never utters a word in the first couple games. It's not hard to get that personality right, and I think they did a great job of it in the anime (they obviously had to give him a voice and dialogue). He seems just about how I always imagined him.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:35 pm

You know what OL and Sanshiro,fuck you guys!
You got me to buy the DS game in in anticipation I have been going on youtube watching videos and listening to music,I esp am in love with the music.

If you got me obsessed with another game series I swear I will....well...

Damn it, can't even finish that sentence you jerks!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Oppy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:09 am

Loving YS1 atm. Just one little anoyance, Why the fuck did they replace the 2d backgrounds with shitty looking 3d ones? We have these beautifully detailed character sprites, on extremly boring, and very blocky 3d backgrounds. to me it just doesnt look right.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby OL » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:06 am

Well there have been about 100 different ports and remakes of the game. It just sort of happened that, years and years after the Turbografx version, the one we managed to finally get outside of Japan (the DS version) is also, unfortunately, considered one of the worst versions. That's just how it goes. The core game is still great, of course, but there are some minor annoyances (like the 3D backgrounds).
The PSP version coming out next year from XSeed, however, is a version based on Ys Eternal (if I'm thinking of the right one; maybe it's actually Ys Complete...), which is generally considered the absolute best version. Strange how we're pretty much getting the two opposites ends of the spectrum for the same game, though honestly you really can't go "wrong" with any version of it.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:52 am

It got mostly redrawn and stuff but its otherwise an enhanced version of Complete (while the DS version is based off Eternal with downgrades to resolution sound quality and background but 1 extra dungeon)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 am

^^There you go. Knew I was getting something mixed up.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Well then maybe I'll get it for PSP.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Just arrived in the mail a little bit ago and just now starting to play. :D
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Congratulations, young sir, for you are about to experience a majesty reserved for only the classiest of retro JRPGs.
Oh, and tell that bitch to find her own silver harmonica. You're not her fucking errand boy.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 am

Haha thanks,well I would still be playing but I ran the DS batt to red so it's charging. Been a long time since I played the DS long enough to drain a fully charged batt to red in one day.:P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Jokatech19 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:38 pm

I think I'm going to get into the anime for this. I'm out of animes and I'm going crazy re-peating the ones i have.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming