SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated March 29)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: My Youtube Channel - SINGLE PLAYER GAMER

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Very good indeed. Made me chuckle a bit and it was well researched, well edited (and you have a cool voice). I liked the robot too. Makes me want to buy the game now, so you've convinced me, at least. :D
Great job, mate.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Panda_rapist » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:08 pm

judging by the reactions to you're voice you should consider being a phone sex operator or whatever there called :lol:
Panda_rapist

Postby OL » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:23 pm

^^Definitely thinking about it.

sylentknyte wrote:For what it was it was excellent video bro. Certainly not HCG level (m sure you know that) but very professional looking and informative. Its much better then the quality of reviews Ive seen from other game reviewers that have hundreds if not thousands of subscribers. It seems like the best way to get attention for your channel is to try and get the attention of the HCG. If he likes it he will probably plug you. You could start to involve yourself in the YouTube gaming community.

You mean Happy Console Gamer?
Yeah, I used to like him a lot, but his stuff has kind of slipped lately. Wish he'd do more actual game reviews, rather than the nostalgic tripe he does so much now. It's fine to be nostalgic, but filming the neighborhood where he first played Phantasy Star and going on about "so many memories... oh, so many memories!"
That was a little too self-indulgent for me.
I think he's mostly just popular on youtube because his videos are in really nice quality, in direct contrast to most others.
I am subscribed to him though, and I was "friends" with him on my old youtube account.
Maybe once I get a few vids going I'll send something to him.

sylentknyte wrote:Now all that said it is possible to have a great quality show and get no attention. This is a channel I watch that deserves a whole lot more subscribers then he has:

http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube

This guy has excellent reviews but for some reason hasnt gotten much attention from the YouTube gaming community. Its kind of a weird thing. I guess if you have one review thats popular it will snowball from there.

I've actually been subscribed to him since I saw his first Ys review several months ago. :)
Great obscure game reviews. Voice is a little odd sometimes though (it was hard to watch that Kickle Cubicle review).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sylentknyte » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:55 pm

^ Ya his voice can get kind of annoying but I've seen much, much worse. I didn't mention this before but you do have the perfect voice for this kind of thing. Its very neutral and easy to listen to.

Have to disagree with you about the HCG. I know exactly what he meant when he did that video and it kind of gave me second hand nostalgia. In fact a few years ago I walked through a path that I hadnt walked on for 10 years. It was the path my mom and I used to walk every day to get to school when I was between 5 and 7. The nostalgia I felt was overwhelming and I think he felt the same way. Although it is true that he may be past his prime now. His videos were a lot more genuine in the early days. Actually I asked him a while ago if he would do a Shenmue review. He said its one of his favourite game series and he has something special planned for it.

One thing I don't get is why is Pete Dorr the face of the Youtube gaming community? His videos are entertaining and his collection is amazing but his videos can get a little boring. I find the HCG to be much more entertaining.

But I can see a good future for you if you keep this up. Try and find you're niche. Try to find game series or top 10 lists that nobody has really done or have only been done poorly. Its a bit harder to get attention since there are so many people doing it but if you keep coming out with quality videos people will notice. I don't make very good videos but I've learned a thing or two in the past couple of years I've been doing it.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Peter Dorr is BORING.
I don't think he collects for a passion of gaming but just to collect and show off.
99% of his vids are games he bought. I like Gamester81 for his amazing amount of consoles and old computers he has.Not the most exciting guy but I still enjoy it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby sylentknyte » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:11 pm

I think Pete definitly has a passion for gaming. I mean he had that huge gameroom before he even made Youtube videos so there was really no one to show off to. I just think that his monotone voice and vlog style can get pretty boring. But his collection is truly amazing and I love to see what kind of things he has. Gamester isnt bad but for some reason I havent really gotten into his videos. Im subbed though. Lukemorse1 had the best collection out of anyone and he was a really fun guy to watch until he fucked up and ruined his life. His videos have gone down in quality since then (but I guess thats a good thing). It was clear the guy had a hording problem buying a multitude of things he already had and just keeping so much crap.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:16 pm

OL Excellent First Vid, like everyone says the Robot was cool and I agree. I love the dialouge, I know its scripted (you seem like a good writer as well.) Tenchu Fatal Shadows, is great.. what do you think about Tenchu wrath of heaven?

Oh dude, I forgot to say.. You sound like Snow from FF13 which is badass :P
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Very good job, OL.
The script, the robot, the edit, the footage. Everything.
And your voice has a nice ring to it, I agree. You are our own radio man, or so it seems.

Nice first choice aswell. It's a cool game and one you really seem confortable with.
What games are you thinking on reviewing in the near future?
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Kenny » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 pm

I like Pete Dorr but he rambles on too long in some vids. But in some cases, he provides some interesting insight on a particular series or item he receives. I have to agree it's mostly cause he's monotone and doesn't edit his vids, so its just him talking in front of a camera.

Personally, as far as videogame retrospectives go, I like the AVGN the best so far. He doesn't give incredible incredible depth but he paces his vids in a way where its informative and very entertaining. I find his latest material less funny but more engaging which is what I like. I bet some people will complain and want a retarded slapstick show but you can only go so far with that routine.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Do you plan to have more characters then just the Robot? Maybe an apperance from Orange's brother Blue for a NMH or Killer 7 video.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:22 pm

I need a variety. For review CGR,for some nostalgia and series not tried but want to HCG and for rare consoles Gamester81. AVGN is my comedy.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby sylentknyte » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 pm

I didn't even mention the AVGN because hes practically in a league of his own in terms of popularity. I don't find his videos as funny anymore but I guess there is only so much you can do with his kind of review. Same goes for the Nostalgia Critic. One thing I wonder is how long can he really do this stuff for? I started to wonder this when I noticed James Rolfes hair was starting to thin. I mean I don't see him stopping in the near future but can his show really go on for another 5, even 10 years? Can he really do this stuff in his late 30s and 40s? By then an entirely new generation will have grown up looking for their own brand of nostalgia.

In fact I may be that generation as I don't really have much nostalgia for the NES or SNES. I was born in 92 so by the time I was playing both systems from 97-99 they were well past their prime. I mainly only played the older systems because my family was to poor to afford newer ones lol. So I do feel a bit disconnected from his videos especially when he brings up stuff like the Ninja Turtles which I have no nostalgia for.

It seems to me that when a certain generation reaches their 20s - early 30s, they are no longer trying to grow up and are not ashamed of nostalgia so whatever they loved as a kid makes a comeback. This is why Transformers, Ninja Turtles, a lot of 80s and early 90s cartoons, retro gaming and things of that nature have made a huge comeback. But then I wonder what shows defined my generations childhood? Pokemon is to childish to make a big comeback. I expect to see a Dragonball Z revival in another 5 years (which is kind of starting now).

Sorry that post was so long lol.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:06 am

ThyDarkAngel wrote:Nice first choice aswell. It's a cool game and one you really seem confortable with.
What games are you thinking on reviewing in the near future?

For the most part I want to keep that a secret if I can. Just don't want my videos to be particularly expected, I guess.
But for my next one, I'm doing a Genesis shooter. And after that, I'm planning on an NES game I'm nostalgic about, then after that probably a three-parter covering a full trilogy, one part for each game. And all of them are games or series that haven't really been touched upon very much on youtube, as far as I could find at least (a few "let's plays" here and there, but not much else out there). Also planning to get a Gamboy Player for the Gamecube so I can do a few GBA games.
Hopefully it'll all be interesting enough. And hopefully Classic Game Room won't beat me to all of them. :lol:

Riku Rose wrote:Do you plan to have more characters then just the Robot?

Actually yeah. Not sure when or how, but I was always planning on it.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby SaM_4000 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:37 am

I've always wanted to play Tenchu: Fatal Shadows but it's one of the few Tenchu games that I have missed out on and it seems to be kind of hard to find now.
Overall I thought it was a good review. Except I didn't really like the robot, I find that computer voice annoying.
Apart from that it was a good start.

I bet you can't wait for your videos to get popular enough so that people request you to review games like "YOU SHOULD REVIWE SHENMOO GRATEST GAME EVAR" and "hey man pls do a review for sonic 2? plsssssssss". The latter is an actual comment I found on someone's channel.
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 am

I've never understood it when people actually request reviews. Basically they're just saying "hey, do a video on this game I like!"
But if they already like the game, why do they have a need for someone else to do a review?
Never understood that.

But yeah, I was a bit worried about the robot voice maybe being kind of annoying. Couldn't really find another way to do it though. Maybe I'll just try to keep his lines a little shorter from now on to ease up on it.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming