Hitman Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Hitman Series

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:48 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I honestly don't understand how what we've already seen can be considered blasphemous to he Hitman series.

No, not at all, but if the game comes out and is blasphemous OL isn't the type of guy that would call it out as such. Theres acceptance but he takes it a tad too far.

OL wrote:Hoping the review is just some longtime fan whining because one thing or another is different, and they're just making it sound worse than it is. Fanboys tend to do that, so hopefully this is one of them.

I understand people can have fun with whatever they like, thats fine, but he acts like anyone who dosen't like somthing is simply a fanboy even if the complaints are valid. He tries to draw comparisons between games that aren't there, it seems almost like excusing a decision.

Yea there are some really bad fanboys out there that criticize if a voice actor is different in slight pitch, or if they changed what button it is to shoot but theres also big changes like flow, or even gametype and not everyone is whining because a game changed a little, quite a few may no longer be able to have fun with a series because the reason they play the game is gone, and I feel OL should be a bit more respectful of that instead of saying everyone is a fanboy for not liking what he likes.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:38 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:No, not at all, but if the game comes out and is blasphemous OL isn't the type of guy that would call it out as such. Theres acceptance but he takes it a tad too far.

Having fun with something because there's fun to be had isn't taking anything too far.
Labeling one change or another in a videogame series to be "blasphemous"... yeah, that couldn't be considered taking anything too far, now could it?

You seem to be forgetting that I had a pretty huge number of complaints about Assassin's Creed 3 just recently. It's a series I absolutely love. And yet I'm not blind to it when the developers make a decision that I'm not particularly keen on. They didn't ruin the game for me, but I certainly didn't gloss over them.
I tend to accept games for what they are, but I'm not automatically enthusiastic for everything. A game has to earn my love. If I sound like I'm too positive about everything most of the time, then it's because I don't revel in the act of bitching as so much of the rest of the overall videogaming audience does. If I hate something, then I tend to avoid talking about it. I could easily go all Dorian about everything all the time, but why the fuck would anyone want to do that?
I'd rather focus on things I like, because they make me happy.
The way you talk about it, one would think I'm doing something wrong by having this outlook.

I don't know where you got this idea that I consider everyone a fanboy for not liking what I like; I rarely even use the term "fanboy" at all. You just tend to perk up and latch on to it when I do. It's not like I even tend to insinuate everything I like on everyone else. People are free to like or dislike whatever they want. Can't remember ever implying otherwise. If you have examples, I wouldn't mind clarifying them. I do seem to have a history of people misinterpreting my words.
Regardless, the fact of the matter is that in videogaming, above almost all other entertainment mediums, there really is a huge, vocal, angry chunk of that populace that never seem to be happy, no matter what action is taken in a series. They stick to this mindset that everything is getting worse, nothing is as good as it used to be.
I refuse to have such a spoiled attitude as that.

And my point about this Hitman review wasn't that the writer is a fanboy; I didn't even read the full review. I'm just hoping that he is one of these people I've described, because I want the game to be good. And if he happens to be one of these people -- these angry, never-content "fanboys" -- then his complaints might not be particularly valid.
If it turns out that he isn't one of those people, and everything he says is true... then shit. That's unfortunate, and I hope they get it right next time. It remains to be seen, and I wasn't labeling him as one thing or another outright.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:He tries to draw comparisons between games that aren't there, it seems almost like excusing a decision.

I don't think I quite understood that part...

OL has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:02 am

True said. People prefer to play games for what's enjoyable about them as opposed to avoiding them because of what's bad. I reckon it's difficult for some people (not myself due to my God-like existence, of course) to get that perfect balance of praising the positives and criticising the negatives, all the while keeping a neutral standpoint and presenting the most conclusive, unbiased verdict.

That being said, OL may not have that balance, but I sure as hell value his opinion and believe he makes for a good reviewer. Kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum to Yahtzee, who scrutinizes every aspect of the game before adding in a minor compliment if he deems it worthy. OL's just a more positive, social guy (okay, I probably wouldn't go that far considering the name "Single Player Gamer", but damnit we can do without the glitchy texture or slightly warped model being the damning verdict on whether or not someone should enjoy a game.

I'd actually like to draw a comparison here to Chelsea. Under Jose Mourinho, the style of football was quite boring, yet they won trophies. Avram Grant takes over, they start playing more entertaining football, but struggle challenging and don't look as threatening as before. Point is, what can be deemed as bad design and a poorly polished game doesn't necessarily mean that the overall experience is in any way soured by these mishaps. Whenever I go to a gig, I usually facepalm at the FOH mixer's inability to separate basslines from kickdrums, but it doesn't (always) ruin the performance.

Bottom line is, it takes a whole lot of negatives to ignore the positives if you're in it for enjoyment and entertainment.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:04 am

I'm not excusing what real fanboys do, just saying not liking a game because its different doesn't make someone a fanboy, which is a word you throw around alot especially in regards to Resident Evil 6 and Ninja Gaiden 3.

Believe it or not I was really happy to see you complain about AC 3, not because I like negativity, but I like seeing honest critic of something that isn't good. If you had come out and said "NG 3 is really fun but its got that stupid 'Begging for mercy' thing was balls" or actually admit that finding a keycard isn't a puzzle I'd be over the moon not because I agree with these things but because it shows you haven't just accepted them blindly.

I just think its dangerous for someone that we all respect to seem complacent. when TiBC is done and i send a copy to you, Ryudo and Yama I don't want to hear that its a great game. i want to hear every complaint no matter how minor, and every issue you've found because thats how I'm going to get better.

In terms of faith, i have more in you then Geoff Keighy, Stephen Totillo and Matt Cassamassina combined, and its great that you're so positive about liking games because I think the world needs a lot less cynical teens shouting at the puppets and making the kids cry, but you can't seem too eager.

I have a lot of respect for you and i know you can see when something just isn't fun, not because the tecture is alittle off, or because theres a stutter but because the idea isn't fleshed out or outright doesn't work, or because the character has no motivations, or had a history that gets thrown out the window. I respected your praises enough to go back, retry and enjoy Kane and lynch, buy siren and dig through genesis carts until I found the wonderboy games (that got put up on fucking psn the next day for cheaper then 1 cart was) Point is, i respect what you have to say, both the positives and the negatives even if they are only a few.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:19 am

^And there's the difference. Receiving direct feedback is different from informing others. Reviews aren't feedback, it's letting people know whether or not the game's for them. Feedback though... I defo feel you there. It pisses me off to no end when people praise something when I've asked for CC. You'll never get better at what you do if someone says "yeah, it's good that!"

I (and every other creator) needs to be told what they're doing wrong so that it can be improved upon, or if necessary, thrown out completely. It's my firm belief that when someone can't find anything bad to say about what you've done, that's when it's good. It may not be something that sets the world alight, but if there are no negatives, then the positives shine through all the more.

This is why simpler games are often praised for bein so damn good... coz there's nothing bad about them. Nothing wrong. I hear and see people talking up the simpler times so often, because the room for error could be minimised to the point of non-existence, as opposed to projects on a much grander scale which have so many potentially fatal errors. That's the difference between a one-shot comic and an ongoing series, the difference between a platformer and a game like Shenmue, or a chart single and a double album.

I may have invited myself into this discussion/debate, but it's nice to see people on the same wavelength as me, despite how intentionally egotistical that sounds.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:00 am

The UK Playstation mag gave it 9/10

9/10 from OXM

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/37 ... ds-it-910/

Maybe PC gamer played it on easy?? I really hope this is good.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby mue 26 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Aye, but official magazines with their early reviews (while everyone else is still under embargo) can never be trusted. Still, I am reserving some mild hope for this game, as it's only one negative review that's got us all bugging out so far (though what is described doesn't sound great at all for a Hitman game). I'm certainly not putting down an order for this until we get some proper feedback on it, though.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:10 pm

True, I think ill wait for user reviews.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:56 am

Saw this

http://www.hitman-hq.de/hitman-absol...gespielt-1127/

- the concept of the Saints as a team of assassins dresses as nuns was made while developing Hitman 2
- Tutorial is much more challenging and more open than in BM
- core of the game: 'just do what you want'
- you're never forced to use instinct to find out where enemys are
- for some scenes there were variations of dialogues recorded, so if you play a scene again, it can happen that people will talk different lines
- great graphics, much details in every level
- if one guard is alerted, he has to call for other guards or go and talk to them before they are alerted
- if he's suspicious he will try to find out about the situation before alerting other guards
- there will be a target who has to die for evil actions, but many players who tested the game had remorse to do so
- 12 different challenges for 12 different ways to kill the King of Chinatown
- developers worked on RFYL since it was shown to public and put some new stuff into it
- core elements of Hitman are in the game
- more accidents than ever
- 'everyone who liked the previous Hitman games, won't be disappointed by Absolution'
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:19 am

Just saw this. It's only the first level, so obviously it might be a little more closed-off than later ones, but I think I'm sold.
Beware of spoilers (first-level spoilers, but spoilers nonetheless).

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/13/watch ... ifficulty/
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:49 am

Bah they killed way too many people to call that a Purist playthrough ;-) The main missions better not force us to use the splinter cell style kills crap.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5xRd07L4w[/youtube]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Great trailer. I was thinking more recently that I'd wait on the game, save it for Christmas or something. But no, I think that trailer just got me hyped enough to get it on Tuesday.
Hoping the classic open-mission structure is still the foundation for the whole thing. But regardless of any possible complaints like that, I'm loving the general style of it. Here's hoping the story is as intensive and focused as it's looking.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Trailer does not hype me. Makes it look like a Max Payne game. Though it seems that every kind of game has to have a trailer full of explosions and shotguns and bar fights these days.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGrDXzm1o6U[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8XQolVn04c[/youtube]

83/100

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game ... on/review/

For chunks of the Absolution the focus shifts away from 47 being a predator to being the prey, and at times you’ll be sucked into what seems like unavoidable gunfights, but in an effort to appease the fans, the wide-open predatory sandbox elements are still the game’s major focus.

Where Absolution probably loses ground on its predecessors though is in its actual mission scenarios. It’s clear that IO’s approach with this latest iteration is one steeped in realism and at times that holds the game back somewhat. It blatantly needs more iconic missions with its hallmark unique settings for it to truly feel like a Hitman game. You’ll often see 47 let loose in back-alleys, warehouses, factories, a strip club, which are a far cry from the hillbilly weddings and opera house settings of Blood Money. Truth be told, Absolution probably takes its self a little too seriously at times, a trait that hasn’t been attributed to the series in the past. Hitman is usually all about over the top and in your face scenarios, but Absolution is not. That said, there are brief moments of genius that see Agent 47 head to a courthouse, a laboratory and to an underground fight club for instance that have a plethora of opportunities. Whatever the level though, there are usually a ton of different ways to tackle the level, distractions to deploy, civilians to save and bizarre accidents to orchestrate.

Despite how long IO has had with the game though, it’s not perfect and it lacks a little polish at times. I fell through maps, walked through NPCs, got stuck by NPCs on infinite animation loops and even experienced bizarre cutscene moments – at one point Agent 47 was pointing a syringe at an individual in a cutscene thinking it was a gun.

The mid-mission checkpoints are a let down too, not in that they only save your progress for that session, but that if you restart from that checkpoint it doesn’t save your progress, it’s like it throws you into a default checkpoint instead, so enemies may reappear and traps you set may become undone. Rather frustrating is an understatement.

7/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ion-review
But amidst the inevitable and deserved grumbling about its awkward checkpoint system, small levels and weird obsession with its daft story, hopefully those who persevere with it will be rewarded by enough of those moments to make the whole thing feel worthwhile. Reloading some of its best levels, turning off the hints and watching and waiting, it's much easier to remember what it is that makes Agent 47 so special. Hitman is a series to treasure for those moments, even if Absolution isn't its finest hour. Hopefully it won't be another six years before IO Interactive gets another shot at showing us why.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NaWJAFOLNw[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming