Hitman Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Hitman Series

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Some creative Contracts are up at the moment.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Can't fucking wait. Seriously.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Yeah its cool and a feature that just makes sense. I mean who doesn't go around levels in other Hitman games making their own targets? Ive done A new Life so many different ways its crazy.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Having played a good chunk of the game now, I think I actually "get" the Contracts mode now. I haven't actually tried it yet, but the way the game has been tweaked compared to the old games, it feels like a more natural feature to me now. In the old games, it would have seemed really easy I think (which is why I didn;t quite understand what it was all about initially), but the AI in this one is really good, and the levels are structured in such a way now that isolated kills are much harder to set up. I'm actually interested in playing around with Contracts mode once I'm done with the story.

I'm really enjoying the game though. I understand pretty much all the complaints that people have had, but the game is still marvelously well-put-together regardless. It feels like there aren't enough focused "hit" missions at first, but then you have to put it in perspective that most of the missions are "inbetween" sections, meant to string the story together. The fact that they aren't traditional "kill this person" missions isn't bothering me too much, because the gameplay is great either way.
Though once it does actually get to the traditional hit missions, the game really does feel a little more "in its element" so to speak.

I'm just past the little cameo that WRC mentioned before. Even though I knew it was coming, it still put a big smile on my face.
I know they aren't necessarily great games, but I do have a weird kind of love for the Kane & Lynch series, and seeing Kane knock a couple of bouncers out just made me want another K&L game that much more. A new game using a gameplay system much like the one for Absolution -- except not penalizing you so much for being loud -- would be amazing to me.

Also, in the following stage, there's at the very least a mention of something else related to the previous cameo:
Just as Kane had mentioned his partner having gone to town to gather "tools", you can overhear a couple of guys in the gun shop talking about some nutjob who must have used up all the shotgun ammo at the range, and kept saying "the F word" over and over in every sentence.
Obviously a reference to Lynch, since it's generally regarded among K&L fans that the shotgun is Lynch's sort of "iconic" weapon, and there were plenty of complaints when the first K&L came out that the swearing was pretty overblown.
That mention, just like the Kane appearance, had me smiling pretty wide. :D

And I just have to say, even though it isn't the focus (like, at all), the shooting in Absolution is really, really good. The control and everything is all pretty standard, but the AI is what makes it fun. Since enemies specifically react to what they can see and hear, you can easily pop out and shoot, then while everyone is focusing on that position, you can sneak around elsewhere while they still think they're pinning you down, and take them all completely by surprise.
It just works really well. Sucks that the game slaps you on the hand so much by deducting points every time you kill anyone. I mean, yeah, the stealth approach is the intended way to play (and that's how I'm doing it now, reloading every time I fuck up), but they've done a really great job making the action elements just as good.

EDIT:
:lol: Actually, just noticed that Lynch is in the gun store level. I hadn't explored it before posting.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:29 am

Its funny I'm enjoying the game more now that Ive finished it and can simply go back and replay missions my own way. One other thing i hope they patch is the ability to switch off the tutorials on the first 2 levels.

Keep an eye out for the Easter eggs as well. This game is full of them and all have been great.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:02 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch7wdLxdvCI[/youtube]

Only thing that would make this better would be having an invisible mode at the start so you can simply walk around picking the targets.

Look out for my Sleeping Dogs Contract.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Beat it, loved it, very little to complain about.
I could previously say "oh yeah, I can understand if people are upset about a lack of hit missions/targets dying in cutscenes" and all that, but as it turns out, those complaints are so minor it's not even funny. There are lots of focused "hit" missions. There are many, many levels that play in the classic Hitman style; searching levels, finding interesting ways to eliminate your target, attempting to pull them off without arousing suspicion. It's all there, and absolutely in full force. They just happen to be balanced out with a number of "in-between" or "evade" missions as well, which probably threw people off into thinking they weren't hunting enough.
There are a few instances of targets being eliminated in cutscenes, but they're easily the minority. The very first one, the very last one, and only one or two others that I can think of throughout the rest of the game (though those last two I mention still require the participation of the player to take them down). They're story-focused, so it's kind of understandable. Aside from those, there are still tons of other targets to be eliminated completely at the discretion of the player, just like in earlier games.
That's not to say it doesn't have problems. Of course the disguise system could use some tweaking, as has been mentioned. It might be a little odd that I found myself sneaking more than hiding in plain sight, as was always the series' hallmark before. Sometimes it almost feels more like Splinter Cell because of that. Though, considering the slight backlash against Conviction, it might be a good thing that this is still among the purest of stealth experiences released this gen. Someone like Mittenz who's wanted more stealth lately ought to be completely taken in by the game.
Either way, the good points far outweigh the bad.
The series is alive and kicking with this one. Fully deserving of the "Hitman" title. And honestly, I'd quite like it if they continued making yearly Hitman games, as they alluded to not long ago. Might work out really well.

OL has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Perfect_Chaos
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 am

Ive enjoyed it more since playing on normal to do the challenges but i still don't think the series should become a yearly thing and it does need more Hitman levels rather than A to B but i can forgive it this time due to the story.

Would rate them

Silent Assassin
Blood Money
Absolution
Contracts [never got to play all of Codename 47 but its dirt cheap so ill buy it at some point.]

Also i belive i mentioned a slow mo boss fight? Found out you can actually skip that ;-)
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:Also i belive i mentioned a slow mo boss fight? Found out you can actually skip that ;-)

Really?
I'll have to check into that. I thought it was weird that it was seemingly forced upon me, yet I inevitably ended up with a "spotted" subtraction because of it.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:08 pm

I'm starting Absolution and I like what i'm playing so far. I remember the older Hitman games being bigger in scope, this one feels really small based on the first two levels. But it still plays great.

Can't wait to try this Contract mode you guys are talking about.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 pm

OL wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote:Also i belive i mentioned a slow mo boss fight? Found out you can actually skip that ;-)

Really?
I'll have to check into that. I thought it was weird that it was seemingly forced upon me, yet I inevitably ended up with a "spotted" subtraction because of it.

Yep after he shoots at you and runs off look for a valve to turn off some steam and simply use the vent then hit the next valve. If you get to close to him after coming out the event he will do the slow mo thing again and its pretty funny cause i was holding a knife when i did it and during the cut scene with Lenny taking the girl 47 was holding the knife like it was a gun the whole time :lol:

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 pm

OL wrote:Beat it, loved it, very little to complain about.
I could previously say "oh yeah, I can understand if people are upset about a lack of hit missions/targets dying in cutscenes" and all that, but as it turns out, those complaints are so minor it's not even funny. There are lots of focused "hit" missions. There are many, many levels that play in the classic Hitman style; searching levels, finding interesting ways to eliminate your target, attempting to pull them off without arousing suspicion. It's all there, and absolutely in full force. They just happen to be balanced out with a number of "in-between" or "evade" missions as well, which probably threw people off into thinking they weren't hunting enough.
There are a few instances of targets being eliminated in cutscenes, but they're easily the minority. The very first one, the very last one, and only one or two others that I can think of throughout the rest of the game (though those last two I mention still require the participation of the player to take them down). They're story-focused, so it's kind of understandable. Aside from those, there are still tons of other targets to be eliminated completely at the discretion of the player, just like in earlier games.
That's not to say it doesn't have problems. Of course the disguise system could use some tweaking, as has been mentioned. It might be a little odd that I found myself sneaking more than hiding in plain sight, as was always the series' hallmark before. Sometimes it almost feels more like Splinter Cell because of that. Though, considering the slight backlash against Conviction, it might be a good thing that this is still among the purest of stealth experiences released this gen. Someone like Mittenz who's wanted more stealth lately ought to be completely taken in by the game.
Either way, the good points far outweigh the bad.
The series is alive and kicking with this one. Fully deserving of the "Hitman" title. And honestly, I'd quite like it if they continued making yearly Hitman games, as they alluded to not long ago. Might work out really well.

what did you think of "instinct"?
EDIT: by the way OL, your Sig is pretty sweet

Who Really Cares? wrote:Ive enjoyed it more since playing on normal

#-o
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 pm

beware of double posters.....

do NOT click the spoiler tag unless you want the ending ruined.

was that diana on the balcony with victoria at the end when victoria threw the necklace over that gave her her strength????
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:34 am

Yes, 47 changed his aim at the last moment when he goes to kill her. IO better not use the fake death any more ;-)
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:20 am

Perfect_Chaos wrote:what did you think of "instinct"?

I hate to say it, but it was actually useful.
Let me be clear, the very first thing I did when I started playing was to turn off the ability to see enemies through walls and see the path they're taking. To me, that is just turning the difficulty down way too far. I don't want that. Feels like cheating to me.
However, with the various tweaks they've made to the way the game works compared to older games, Instinct was actualy a good thing to have in some cases. I tried to use them very sparingly, but the hints were useful for identifying places that were off-limits. There was little way to know otherwise, so that was a good aspect to have. And the way it hightlights usable objects around you is great as well, considering the amount of detail packed into many of the environments (hard to spot a brick on the ground sometimes when you need it).
So I turn off some aspects of it, but it's not a bad idea altogether.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming