Hitman Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Hitman Series

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:25 am

Well as the other vid shows you can tackle it how you want you still get points even if you go guns blazing and finishing in a much quicker time.

Hitman: Absolution developer IO Interactive has said that, while standard multiplayer deathmatch modes were "always tempting", such offerings must always feel appropriate to the game in question.

"The broader sense of synchronised multiplayer will always be tempting to investigate," Hitman: Absolution gameplay director Christian Elverdam told Eurogamer. "But it needs to fit the franchise."

But there was no reason to say games must include a multiplayer mode as a requirement, he added.

"If you look at the games industry right now, there's no silver bullet game saying: 'only multiplayer games from now on!' or 'only single-player games'. I think The Elder Scrolls is an example of game that did very well as a single-player game."

EA exec Frank Gibeau recently suggested that all games must move from a "packaged goods, fire-and-forget business to a digital business that has a service component to it", explaining earlier comments that he does not green light single-player-only games.

"If you look at the future I think players will be looking for social connectivity," Elverdam reasoned, in response to Gibeau's quote. "We want to see what our friends are doing. Even if you're a single-player guy who doesn't like twitch-reactions or synchronised multiplayer."

"[But] there also exists a group of people who like to take things at their own pace. In Hitman there's obviously a story, but it's also about playing around with the AI. And that can be a real single-player experience."

Absolution offers its own take on multiplayer: the challenge based mode Contracts, where players can build levels and set targets for their friends to beat.

"We feel Contracts really does fit [Hitman]," Elverdam said, adding that there had been no pressure to include multiplayer component in the game.

"We have a legacy with Hitman that's unique - it's this contemporary social stealth sandbox. [Contracts is] a way of sharing your creativity, in a morbid sense. It's actually inspired by the fans who started do this with Hitman: Blood Money, writing on forums saying 'what if this guy was the target?'"

"So, Contracts is a multiplayer mode if you like, but also a social mode. It's kind of like a YouTube channel, you can use it to show off."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -franchise

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3DFiI68JIU[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:58 am

You know, despite not being interested in it myself, I still have to commend Io Interactive for setting up their online interactivity like this, rather than just doing the same old deathmatch or capture-the-flag tripe.
At least they actually take into account the nature of the game in question, and create online modes based on that. It was the same way with the Kane & Lynch games, with their Fragile Alliance mode, how you go in to commit a robbery with a team of guys, and at any point can turn on them (or be turned on) to maximize your profit.
I might not usually be into online interaction, but I do like that they don't necessarily just tack on modes that make no sense.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:21 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IrvXhHnOU[/youtube]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:26 pm

I reckon the traditional online forumla's comin under too much scrutiny from "hardcore gamers" or "elitists". Nearly all platformers follow the same formula, just slightly different. Instead of coins, collect rings. Instead of fighting robots, you might be fighting mutated plants. Etc, etc, etc.

Yes, sometimes they come out with something unique, but it's all essentially the same shit. Same with practically every game genre. To say the same about multiplayer mode's just a tired, almost desperate argument by "single player gamers" who, most of the time (not sayin this with you OL) do so due to online achievements.

Obviously, everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but peeps give multiplayer way too much shit. It's not like it's essential that you play multiplayer, and if anything, they're just missing out on one of this generation's greatest improvements and whining about it.

Oh, and please name me one game that has pointless multiplayer or, in particular, deathmatches.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Bioshock 2. Pointless tacked on MP
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:37 pm

And how is it pointless? Multiplayer Tetris is pointless. Multiplayer jigsaw puzzles are pointless. A game where you shoot enemies, or your general aim is to defeat someone... People usually pose a bigger threat than AI, so if you want a challenge, or if you want to extend the experience beyond the game's scripted sequences and story, then multiplayer is the natural solution. Multiplayer's in high demand at the moment too, so how can any of it be deemed pointless?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Turok, Dead to Rights, Binary Domain... in all of them the multiplayer is essentially pointless, mostly because almost no one is even going to be online to play with anyway. Plus, they're games whose appeal comes very much from the setpieces and situations you get placed in during the single-player campaign. Running around blasting a friend is fun, sure, but it's almost always just a hastily thrown-in addition with no thought behind it.
But it all depends on the game.
I won't accuse something like Call of Duty of having "pointless multiplayer" because, obviously, it's one of the main things they're focusing on, and one of the main things people buy them for. Likewise for most fighting games, or sports games. I'm not criticizing multiplayer as a whole. I've even said before, I love playing online co-op with my brother if a game allows it, or blasting around with four-player split screen in an original Halo deathmatch.
I was speaking pretty specifically about Hitman, and the fact that putting deathmatch or CTF modes in it would feel so incredibly tacked-on it's not even funny. Something like that would even negate the whole setup of the gameplay from the single-player campaign (which is clearly the focus).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:26 pm

I dunno about DTR or Turok, but I've played the demo for BD, and whilst it has some nice elements that would specifically work for single player, the multiplayer for that seems natural. Especially considering it's a cover-shooter. One thing in particular that would work well for BD Online (if it isn't already) is taking your team and going toe-to-toe with another person's team. The idea would be that your standing with your team in Single Player would run parallel to Multiplayer, so it gives you the incentive to build up as much trust (or whatever) throughout the campaign if you're to be successful online.

Anyway, I wasn't aiming that at you OL, it's something that I see a lot of on the internet, and your mention of it just reminded me that it's summat I wanted to discuss on here (albeit, shoulda done it in the GTOTD topic) Still, I would welcome an online multiplayer Hitman in that you have to assassinate your opponent in a certain way, whilst at the same time avoiding your persuer (basically, AC's idea, but more fleshed out) Disguises, size of the map, and number of unique NPCs would make for a brilliant online gaming experience, and one that I'd probably play over and over again til my eyes bleed.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Yeah, there are some multiplayer modes out there that are pretty sweet. Assassin's Creed has a good one, as you said. Red Dead Redemption's seemed like it'd be cool, riding around causing havok with your own little posse. The old Splinter Cell one seemed worthwhile too, with its whole mercs vs. spies thing.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeah, all the ones you said are good. Surprisingly, I thought Conviction's multiplayer was good too. It had the blend of stealth-action where you can choose between the two that single player was missing.

Still wishing on a more complex, single player-like AC Online though. As much as I love it's current iteration, I'd pay good money for a flat-out online-only AC experience.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:25 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7SvZxbsx_U[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Is it me, or does this just feel like a conversation between us three?

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, Who Really Cares?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:11 am

Come one devs! Surely they could have given it an extra achievement?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game ... ievements/
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am

http://www.gamesradar.com/sponsored-hit ... announced/

Win the sniper challenge and not only will you be in a future game but also be presented with a Golden Joystick at Future Publishing’s annual Golden Joystick Awards on 26th October 2012.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6sMgfiTTs[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III