dev comment of the day topic

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: dev comment of the day topic

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:29 pm

south carmain wrote:^ its true, thats who nintendo marketed towards and thats who bought it, most gamers here bought a ps3 or 360 and thought of the wii as a shovelware console as thats what nintendo marketed it as

](*,)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:35 pm

So yeah, when people don't own the console and dont care enough to search online then they are going to miss out on great titles, but that doesnt mean they dont like these titles just that they are unaware they exist, if they were released on ps3 or 360 im sure the sales would of been much higher, most people i know spend their time playing fifa and c.o.d but all bought ff13 on its release date because they loved playing through 7.8.9 when they were younger and enjoy a good story based game even though they regretted it due to ff13 substituting exploration for corridors
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Just stop talking as you have no clue what you're saying. Let me indulge.

Wii in the begining was not marketed as a "casual" system. That's a name people label things these days' "Hardcore & Casual" Wii was marketed at something everyone could play. In the beginning They had more of the ikea family bullshit because as they stated "trying to sell a console to non gamers is like trying to sell make up to men" So they had to drill it hard. The Wii sports was a demo to show off the controller never meant to be a full game. Many developers just decided that's what people want and made tons of shovelware. Some 3rd parties made true games for it and there is plenty. The point is first party. 1st party alone from Nintendo. Mario Galaxy,Mario Galaxy 2,Excite series (about 3 or so installments) Punchout. Donkey Kong Country Returns. Wii Fit Wii Sports Resort Wii play Wi music Zelda TP Zelda SS Metriode Prime 3 Fire Emblem Poekmon Captain Rainbow Zangeki no Reginleiv Xenoblade Chronicles The Last Story Pandoras Tower(It's a Nintendo IP)

So out of all that they released 4 "casual" games. Yes E3 2008 was a shithole of that crap. Wii has sold 95 million. While PS3/360 has sold roughly 60 mil a piece. I could go into the many many "hardcore" 3rd party titles but be here a while and not into a listing war. In fact Wii has the most varied library of the 3. Nintendo makreted the Wii early yo the ikea family but later drifted away from that some. Now it's a mix. With your statement Wii is only bought by housewives. Then 360 & PS3 is only bought by dude bro shooter fans and Madden players. Niether statement is true. But sure is easy to label and believe stereotypes.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Every advert concerning the wii was about fitness games and all featured motion controls, every advertisment was aimed at children and housewives/teenage girls or the 'happy family' these are the people nintendo knew would spend the most, showing insecure women they could lose weight while having fun behind closed doors, and lets not forget the children who get presents at holidays and birthdays, nintendo aren't stupid they did this on purpose and got results thats why it outsold all over consoles this gen and why the general gamer (yes the general gamer, not the minority who hangs around forums and knows everything about all new releases) didnt want to buy it, btw when i was in the middle east i worked in marketing so yes i know a bit about these things

And you not only dude bro shooters and madden fans play ps3 and xbox 360 but all dude bros and madden fans buy 360's and ps3's because this side of the market appeals more to them
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:09 pm

south carmain wrote:, btw when i was in the middle east i worked in marketing so yes i know a bit about these things

Always the act of someone desperate. " I know cuz I waz an insiderz"
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:11 pm

You realize more people own Wiis then 360s and PS3s combined right? and that there are Wii games that actually reach the same kind of numbers on one SKU as opposed to 3 or 4.

That said FF13 didn't sell over 6 million copies because it was on 360/ps3, it was because its a final fantasy game. The terrible crystal chronicles games that got released sold well too, better then Nier, Resonance of Fate, or Lost Odyssey.

This is one of those situations falls completely on consumers. The games have been advertised maybe not with TV spots, but in stores. Gamestop had exclusivity, so they told everyone about it. Its just like Madworld, or house of the Dead, or No more Heroes all titles that people claimed would sell more on 360 and PS3 but Anarchy Reigns didn't even break 100,000 in Japan. Overkill, the resident evil compilation and NMH came and went also, non of their sales set the world on fire, actually none of their sales matched the Wii versions.

We can go on about "being sure" this or "people I know" that, but no wii port has outsold its wii original. Most RPGs on 360 and PS3 that are new IPs do the same amount as most RPGs on Wii that are new IPs.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Bluecast wrote:
south carmain wrote:, btw when i was in the middle east i worked in marketing so yes i know a bit about these things

Always the act of someone desperate. " I know cuz I waz an insiderz"

Insider? I didnt work in the video game industry but i did work in marketing as that is my normal job outside of ecommerce so yes i do know a bit about it

@segata im talking about europe and the average european gamer, i also said that these titles were not succesful here because no one knows about them, there was no ad campaign, they were not sold anywhere and you would really need to search properly on the net to find out about them, something most people dont care to do here, my whole point is that the general gamer even though he likes fps's is still likely to enjoy rpg's if he plays them instead of dismissing them as crap straight away, europe is a whole different place to the states, britain is similar in some ways but france, spain, germany etc are very different as OL said

And yes i know more people own wii's than ps3' s and 360's i even said it, and the reason is because of the audience they aimed at, also this argument is going nowhere if you argue with me talking about the us while im talking about europe then we are hitting a wall, and i used ff13 as an example as how mainstream gamers will purchase a game out of pure nostalgia
Last edited by south carmain on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:You realize more people own Wiis then 360s and PS3s combined right? and that there are Wii games that actually reach the same kind of numbers on one SKU as opposed to 3 or 4.

That said FF13 didn't sell over 6 million copies because it was on 360/ps3, it was because its a final fantasy game. The terrible crystal chronicles games that got released sold well too, better then Nier, Resonance of Fate, or Lost Odyssey.

This is one of those situations falls completely on consumers. The games have been advertised maybe not with TV spots, but in stores. Gamestop had exclusivity, so they told everyone about it. Its just like Madworld, or house of the Dead, or No more Heroes all titles that people claimed would sell more on 360 and PS3 but Anarchy Reigns didn't even break 100,000 in Japan. Overkill, the resident evil compilation and NMH came and went also, non of their sales set the world on fire, actually none of their sales matched the Wii versions.

We can go on about "being sure" this or "people I know" that, but no wii port has outsold its wii original. Most RPGs on 360 and PS3 that are new IPs do the same amount as most RPGs on Wii that are new IPs.

THANK YOU! As always the real voice of reason
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Eh, I can't say much about Europe since I don't know that market all that well (I know handheld RPGs do really well in the UK, France and Germany because Fire Emblem and SMT numbers in those three territories are nuts but thats handhelds)

Right now worldwide numbers are about the same, even Japanese gamers are buying more shooters, they're actually a bit worse about it, because they even buy really shitty ones like Quantum Theory.

I can't speak for Europe but in the US theres no good place to run a video game ad, then again its not like people here care. For a few months I saw an add for Pirahna 3d on ABC FAMILY, that started with the line "This is not a family movie" and played at 3pm, when the station was showing afternoon cartoons and family shows.

even so, it often falls to trailers and in store displays here in the US because mainstream TV marketing is expensive and useless.

Personally I wouldn't do TV spots for Europe, I'd just try to get a spot on the PSN's main page on both the console and website.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Ruh oh. You called QT shitty. OL going to poke you with a sharp stick.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:40 pm

@segata exactly and this whole conversation was how european gamers are similar to japanese gamers and are likely to like rpg's such as the tales series, maybe now what i'm saying makes more sense, the whole wii debate was because bluecast wasn't happy i said the wii is mostly owned by housewives and teenage girls in europe as thats who nintendo advertised to
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:52 pm

south carmain wrote:@segata exactly and this whole conversation was how european gamers are similar to japanese gamers and are likely to like rpg's such as the tales series, maybe now what i'm saying makes more sense, the whole wii debate was because bluecast wasn't happy i said the wii is mostly owned by housewives and teenage girls in europe as thats who nintendo advertised to

In terms of likeness, right now every territory is the same; High numbers on shooters, low numbers on RPGs from Japan, and good numbers on RPGs from the US/Europe. In terms of specifics I can tell you why when it comes to the US and Japan but not Europe.

To be honest, with how badly the industry is messed up and how disorganized everything is its hard to tell. Theres even a certain degree of racism that skews all the numbers. Telling who buys which games and for what reason, well its just a mess.

Seriously OL likes QT? Why? It makes Blacksite: Area 51 look like Battlefield 3.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Yeah also the developer isn't stating a fact. He was expressing his opinion. I just said I disagreed.
Doesn't make him or me or anyone else more right what appeals most to a certain region.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
south carmain wrote:@segata exactly and this whole conversation was how european gamers are similar to japanese gamers and are likely to like rpg's such as the tales series, maybe now what i'm saying makes more sense, the whole wii debate was because bluecast wasn't happy i said the wii is mostly owned by housewives and teenage girls in europe as thats who nintendo advertised to

In terms of likeness, right now every territory is the same; High numbers on shooters, low numbers on RPGs from Japan, and good numbers on RPGs from the US/Europe. In terms of specifics I can tell you why when it comes to the US and Japan but not Europe.

To be honest, with how badly the industry is messed up and how disorganized everything is its hard to tell. Theres even a certain degree of racism that skews all the numbers. Telling who buys which games and for what reason, well its just a mess.

Seriously OL likes QT? Why? It makes Blacksite: Area 51 look like Battlefield 3.

You and OL got into a bit of a tassle when he bought it and liked it a few months back. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm

@segata But my point wasnt about sales, sales mostly means which games got the biggest ad budget

My point was if gamers like these type of games or not, there are many games i havent played yet including xenoblade, tls and pt but i love what i have seen of them and their genre, do my tastes not count because i havent bought them yet? No and there are many people like me, they spend their money on mainstream shooters and soccer games but enjoy rpg's etc but are just unaware they exist because no one tells them, and that's my point, when it comes to tastes you cant measure in sales and europeans in general enjoy japanese and rpg games, most of us grew up on them and i'm sure if you sat down 10 mainstream gamers in front of such a game 7-8 would play for an extended period and take interest in it

Bluecast wrote:Yeah also the developer isn't stating a fact. He was expressing his opinion. I just said I disagreed.
Doesn't make him or me or anyone else more right what appeals most to a certain region.

And i was stating why as a european i agree with him
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming